Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

Punk gonna sell some tickets, and possibly make Bisping have a meltdown along the way. I don't see how anyone (other than CM Punks swollen brain) are going to lose out of this.

This contract with the UFC is almost certainly a far better alternative for his swollen brain than being a wrestler again. Especially if you listened to the podcast where he talked about how he passed their bullshit concussion test while he clearly had a concussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

no one feels insecure about mma. no one is going to be upset if cm punk wins a fight or is good.

Not really an MMA guy but wasn't there a bunch of MMA fans throwing hissyfits when Brock was champion?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that PRIDE once decided that a good matchup would be Alberto Del Rio vs loving Crocop

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x113u0v_mirko-crocop-vs-alberto-del-rio-dos-caras-jr-con-promo-completo_sport

it goes about as well as can be expected

Yuji Nagata had two MMA fights. His opponents were Cro Cop and Fedor.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Actually the best for is that Punk copies the fighting style of Jushin "Thunder" Liger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGiIc50-SEc

Forward flip heel kick opening gambit all the way.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not really an MMA guy but wasn't there a bunch of MMA fans throwing hissyfits when Brock was champion?

a lot of people hated brock but I think it had more to do with his personality than anything

I only know of CM punk because he was on WTF. He seems like a cool person not a crazy egomaniac millionaire living out a woodsman fantasy in a log mansion with his fake titted wife

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 7, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think their main issue was, if I remember right, he was pushed right to the front of the line, which is a valid thing to think is bullshit. Punk is, at the lest, working his way up, so I really doubt people will care if he actually works his way up.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Punk is going to get Prince Oberyned

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
CM Punk vs Yoga Instructor from TUF: China. Calling it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Duck of Death posted:

Yuji Nagata had two MMA fights. His opponents were Cro Cop and Fedor.

The crazy thing about that is that those were both put on by Inoki himself who somehow thought it was a good idea to feed one of his top guys to those two.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

CM Punk is going to learn the Metsu Hadoken and decimate the competition.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It probably would have served Brock a lot better if he hadn't been pushed right to the top of the line. It really says a lot for him that he *still* managed to do as well as he did while basically fighting top-ish guys and learning as he went. Dude's a freak.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

EugeneJ posted:

Doesn't D-Bry have more MMA training than Punk

I wonder if he'd ever make the jump

There was an interview with him a ways back (like maybe 2010?) where he was asked about this and he said he participated in a small grappling tourney and did pretty good but that his striking is dog poo poo so he wouldn't ever do mma because it'd be really dumb.

I tried looking for it but can't find the specific one I'm thinking of. Here's one from 2012 where he talks about MMA for the first few questions. Basically says he'd rather not get punched in the face once he's done with pro wrestling but would do a lot of grappling tournaments. It'd be really cool to see him at Metamoris some day.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

It probably would have served Brock a lot better if he hadn't been pushed right to the top of the line. It really says a lot for him that he *still* managed to do as well as he did while basically fighting top-ish guys and learning as he went. Dude's a freak.

Again not much of a MMA guy, but from watching his fights his style was "Be a gigantic freak of nature, sit on my opponents and hit them until they stop moving" yes?

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

Wow all this and you manage to gloss over his conquering of the Undertaker's undefeated streak at Wrestlemania.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DeathChicken posted:

Yea it was a lovely move from a political perspective but can't say he didn't prove he was at that level at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonzo McFee posted:

Again not much of a MMA guy, but from watching his fights his style was "Be a gigantic freak of nature, sit on my opponents and hit them until they stop moving" yes?

More or less his style was 'I'm a big monster' yea. Like, I'm sure a way bigger MMA fan than me (not hard at all to be) can breakdown exactly what made his stuff work but his strat of 'be a big man who crushes people' worked fairly well!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's hard to do though against guys he was fighting.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gonzo McFee posted:

He didnt really know how to strike, but he was legitimately fast and strong as gently caress with his shots and there is plenty of precedent for a big strong guy like that to not only be successful but respected in MMA at heavyweight. Tom Erikson, Mark KErr, etc. They didn't have a lot of experience either and weren't any good standing.

Heavyweight just isnt a deep division, and guys can burn out fast, and so natural talent and technique go a long way. Just having that outstanding wrestling background made him a real fighter. Of course there were other, better fighters with physical advantages, great technique, and even better training and wrestling that brock.

I mean your impression is sort of right, but thats a real legit way to be at 206+ lbs

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

More or less his style was 'I'm a big monster' yea. Like, I'm sure a way bigger MMA fan than me (not hard at all to be) can breakdown exactly what made his stuff work but his strat of 'be a big man who crushes people' worked fairly well!

He was a freak athlete who was a good wrestler and picked poo poo up fast but he didn't react well to getting hit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Gonzo McFee posted:

he had a good shooting takedown and his top game on the ground seemed legitimately quite good after he fixed it up after losing to frank mir. his wrestling was far from unstoppable though and was stuffed by a d3 college wrestler doing mma part time and a fragile dutch roidman. his standup was laughably bad

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Dangersim posted:

He was a freak athlete who was a good wrestler and picked poo poo up fast but he didn't react well to getting hit.

In his defense I don't react well to getting hit either. I've been known to shout swear words and sob uncontrollably.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Brock being a physical freak was a big part of his success obviously, but being the second-best (amateur) wrestler in the heavyweight division was a necessary component. Even with extremely rudimentary striking he was able to bulldog almost everybody down to the mat, which has been pretty much the most valuable skill in mma since UFC 10 or so.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Brock was really sent into the deep end after his first fight. I mean a 1-0 fighter going up against Frank Mir is loving insane. That he ended up beating Mir just a few fights later in the rematch is a testament to just what an athletic freak that guy is. Punk would ideally be fighting 0-0 fighters out of China or something for his first like 3 or 4 fights before he gets to fight a redneck bar fighter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dangersim posted:

Nifty. I know this is exactly what the plan was but this kinda probably could push me from 'casual fan who only watches fights when his buddies buy them and tell him they're going to be good' to someone who actually watches UFC somewhat often. I guess it helps that I care about more things than CM Punk being in it, though.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope the find that fat confused guy who nearly beat Batista with little to no notice for the fight.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I hope Donald Cerrone makes fun of this guy for not drinking.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

A Punk fight is going to do way more money than an Askren fight therefore Punk is better than Funky QED

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Thauros posted:

I know you've hated Punk for years and it's fair to dislike the fact that a beat up pro wrestler with no legit background is getting a shot over dudes with far better credentials due to name value.

You know drat well why this is happening though, this has already gotten publicity from plenty of mainstream news sources and Lesnar has shown that a popular WWE guy will draw fans who otherwise wouldn't purchase a show.

Yes, Lesnar obviously had infinitely more potential to be a top level guy due to his amateur background and size, but that's not necessary to build excitement and draw. It's not like there's not plenty of precedent for MMA orgs to do poo poo to make money that's not in the best interest of pure competitive sport value either.

I know "why" they did/are doing it, I absolutely hate it and don't think it's comparable to Brock who had an extremely strong wrestling pedigree

It's a bitch move that sounds like something out of the Strikeforce/Bellator play book

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

I know "why" they did/are doing it, I absolutely hate it and don't think it's comparable to Brock who had an extremely strong wrestling pedigree

It's a bitch move that sounds like something out of the Strikeforce/Bellator play book

Pride never dies.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Yuriy posted:

There's so little at stake and there will be huge viewership gains for both the UFC and CM Punk, so it's a brilliant business move. Worst comes to worst, he loses badly as a 37 year old guy who isn't an MMA veteran. It couldn't possibly be more embarrassing than Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander or James Toney vs. Couture, or as torturously unwatchable as Rin Nakai's debut. Its a good, funny thing.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

There's so little at stake and there will be huge viewership gains for both the UFC and CM Punk, so it's a brilliant business move. Worst comes to worst, he loses badly as a 37 year old guy who isn't an MMA veteran. It couldn't possibly be more embarrassing than Kimbo vs. Houston Alexander or James Toney vs. Couture, or as torturously unwatchable as Rin Nakai's debut. Its a good, funny thing.

Yeah, it's a weird thing to get upset about

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Somehow Kimbo Slice had a better resume than CM Punk, think about that. It's a good thing in that it should get some extra eyes on the UFC but it's really bad in the way that this guy's credentials appear to be "Friends With A Gracie" and "Fake Fought Since 18"

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Maybe Punk will actually hit a decent GTS

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
It's not something anyone should actually get upset about, it is weird though

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's a good thing in that it should get some extra eyes on the UFC but it's really bad in the way that this guy's credentials appear to be "Friends With A Gracie" and "Fake Fought Since 18"

These are basically Rin Nakai's credentials except replace "Gracie" with "Yakuza" and "friends with" with "enslaved by", so at least there's precedent

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Rin Nakai shouldn't be in the UFC either, but I guess I'll suffer through her attempts to fight if it means she doesn't end up in some weird Saw scenario for another day.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Maybe Punk will actually hit a decent GTS

This is even more far fetched than people thinking he might win

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
it must suck to be really invested in the idea of mma as a pure sport

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Spermgod posted:

There is no such thing, all sports exist purely for entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Spermgod posted:

It is basically just Shoot Pro Wrestling and as worked Pro Wrestling has taught us we do not get invested in Pro Wrestling.

• Locked thread