Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Time Machine automatically culls old backups as needed. Don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It may not even be making duplicate of the 50GBs of files since the inode is staying the same. It would just be making hard links to the new location. I could be wrong, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I've got a loving stupid question.

I'm new to using Time Machine but I've got some successful backups going. The other day I changed the location of my iTunes library, we're talking about 50gb of music being moved to a new folder. Time Machine of course sees this as 50gb of brand new files to sync to my backup, but I see that as a WASTE of 50gb of space on my backup drive, especially considering I prefer the new location of the files vs the old location.

Is there a way I can trim or otherwise remove the old iTunes directory from the backup so as to not have an extra 50gb being taken up in my Time Machine? I understand Time Machine is "just doing it's job" here but it should understand a directory change is not a new segment of data, this seems like not a very intelligent way of backing up...

Just go into time machine, scroll back in time until you find your old directory, CTRL-rightclick (two finger click, or left click), and select "Delete all copies".

But yeah, eventually it will be culled as your Time Machine volume fills up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can browse your old backup folders in the Finder. Just find the old library on there and trash it maybe?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Run Time Machine, browse to the location and then right click:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sigma posted:

Run Time Machine, browse to the location and then right click:

That's new to me, and very cool.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I'm a bit late for Evernote chat - but is anyone else getting worried about their seeming lack of QA, and lack of focus on the core product? I rely on it pretty heavily, and every email (usually several a month) about some ludicrously expensive branded merch or bullshit new feature that no one wants fills me with despair.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I have a friend who regularly debugs programs with Xcode on his rMBP, and he chooses to run Xcode as a fullscreen app. The problem happens, new to Yosemite, that when he goes to click the play/stop buttons for starting the debugger, or stopping it, the menu bar decides to come into view and he ends up instantly clicking randomly within the traffic lights, often closing the Xcode window. Is there some fix to this other than running Xcode in a space but not fullscreen?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ugh, lately my mbpr 13 seems to be running like poo poo, with beachballs everywhere.

Particularly bad is when there is a file save dialog. It sometimes beachballs for a good 30 seconds in safari, during which time I can't use safari at all.

Other times it will beachball hard when I am trying to select a file to upload (to imgur or something), again a good 30 seconds at a time.

My disk isn't full (256gb ssd, with 60gb free on this partition and about 80gb free total), and my mbpr isn't old (late 2013 with the 2.4ghz, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd).

Any ideas why it's suddenly doing this?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Wild EEPROM posted:

Ugh, lately my mbpr 13 seems to be running like poo poo, with beachballs everywhere.

Particularly bad is when there is a file save dialog. It sometimes beachballs for a good 30 seconds in safari, during which time I can't use safari at all.

Other times it will beachball hard when I am trying to select a file to upload (to imgur or something), again a good 30 seconds at a time.

My disk isn't full (256gb ssd, with 60gb free on this partition and about 80gb free total), and my mbpr isn't old (late 2013 with the 2.4ghz, 8gb ram, and 256gb ssd).

Any ideas why it's suddenly doing this?

The sites you are accessing when beachballing, do they have something running which uses Flash?

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Lexicon posted:

I'm a bit late for Evernote chat - but is anyone else getting worried about their seeming lack of QA, and lack of focus on the core product? I rely on it pretty heavily, and every email (usually several a month) about some ludicrously expensive branded merch or bullshit new feature that no one wants fills me with despair.

I'm mirroring everything on OneNote as a back up of sorts. And yes, that release and the general lack of progress has me doubting the value of Evernote.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How much free space should I have in my startup disk? 256 GB SD by the way.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

decypher posted:

Guess which Spotlight window is with "Increased Contract" ticked?

Ok, well I'll tell you. Its the one that doesn't contrast at all with the background. Jesus loving Christ its annoying. Increased Contrast makes it blend in with the loving background, actually.

How do you gently caress this up, Apple? HOW!?!?!?

edit: Submitted feedback at Apple website and called AppleCare and had them submit a bug report as well.

decypher fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 7, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there anyway to force itunes to scan the files in my library to see if they actually exist in the directory? Right now it seems, it only checks when you goto play the files. I think I have some missing files I would like to get reconciled.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 7, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm looking to keep track of recipes and things like that, and I'm probably ready to shell out the $20 for Paprika because it seems to be the go-to recipe manager, but I guess I'd like to hear some first-hand reviews. Is it really $20 better than just throwing your recipes in Evernote or OneNote? I realize that the iPhone app is another five bucks and so is the iPad app if I want it, but I'm not really that concerned about either. If I get into Paprika I'll happily pay the five bucks per.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that $20 is a lot of money for an app that I can probably easily duplicate in Evernote or OneNote so I'm hoping that there's enough value in everything else it does to make it worth the $20. Too bad there's no "demo".

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I was cleaning out my applications and found google chrome sitting at 7gb... Apparently it has kept every previous version in a folder called "Versions" since 2012. Can I delete this folder safely and how do I stop chrome doing this?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

lol internet. posted:

Is there anyway to force itunes to scan the files in my library to see if they actually exist in the directory? Right now it seems, it only checks when you goto play the files. I think I have some missing files I would like to get reconciled.

You can get a script to do it: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=listmias

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Lexicon posted:

I rely on it as well, and some of their decisions have given me pause. To their credit, however, they seriously improved the soeed of sync earlier this year, so all hope is not lost.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

decypher posted:

Ok, well I'll tell you. Its the one that doesn't contrast at all with the background. Jesus loving Christ its annoying. Increased Contrast makes it blend in with the loving background, actually.

How do you gently caress this up, Apple? HOW!?!?!?

Gonna go with "inadequate testing of corner cases" since it looks like it only happens when you combine the dark menubar/dock mode with increased contrast mode.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do you have an external drive or network mount attached to your computer?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
My 2011 Macbook pro has been running pretty slow after upgrading to Yosemite. I want to downgrade but googling the issue they say you need a time machine backup, which I don't have. I do have an OSX Leopard or Mountain Lion DVD. What will happen if I try to install it? Can I install it? All of my data is in the cloud.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Kidney Stone posted:

The sites you are accessing when beachballing, do they have something running which uses Flash?

Even if it's something like imgur's regular image page where it's just the picture and no flash, it will beachball hard.

quote:

Do you have an external drive or network mount attached to your computer?

I have both.

The last few days I've also noticed that it's started doing some weird thing where it completely fills up the disk space to 0kb, the dialog pops up, and then it goes back down.
Happened a few minutes ago. It went from 58gb free to about 700 mb, then I started killing things (browser tabs of all types, skype, airmail, the usual suspects) and it kept going to 0kb, but after a few seconds it went back to 58g free.

What is happening

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sounds like a weird syncing bug, do you use iCloud

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I do use icloud.

It kernel panic'd on me about an hour ago.

Here is the error log:

http://pastebin.com/z3jnEu5Q

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

BobHoward posted:

Gonna go with "inadequate testing of corner cases" since it looks like it only happens when you combine the dark menubar/dock mode with increased contrast mode.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

The AppleCare tech must've had dark mode enabled as well cause she able to see it straight away. Didn't even think of Dark mode, thanks man.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Wild EEPROM posted:

What is happening

Sounds like a memory leak - open Activity Monitor's memory tab and look for something huge next time you see this.

Also that panic shows kernel heap corruption - not easy to track down from just a panic log. If it's reproducible it might be interesting, though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How does parallels work? Do I install a windows OS on my Mac and it works? I was thinking of getting it and I want to know how it works.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

gmq posted:

How much free space should I have in my startup disk? 256 GB SD by the way.

There are two considerations here:

1> Free space required for your SSD to be able to do appropriate housekeeping.
2> Free space required for OSX to do its business.

I try to keep 20% free, 10% at an absolute minimum, but others may have better advice that's less anecdotal.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Smoking Crow posted:

How does parallels work? Do I install a windows OS on my Mac and it works? I was thinking of getting it and I want to know how it works.

Yep. It saves the whole install as a disk image file on your hard drive. It works pretty much perfectly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

Yep. It saves the whole install as a disk image file on your hard drive. It works pretty much perfectly.

That said, don't use it with 10.10 as a client OS. They claim compatibility but the graphics acceleration doesn't work with the changes made in 10.10, so it's slow as poo poo.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

decypher posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right.

The AppleCare tech must've had dark mode enabled as well cause she able to see it straight away. Didn't even think of Dark mode, thanks man.

For what it's worth, I have both enabled and it looks fine:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm having some trouble on my new Macbook Pro. I noticed I was getting "Preferences error" whenever I tried to open the Display section in System Preferences. I did a full reinstall of Yosemite and it seemed to fix it, but tonight I went to change my desktop background and now I'm getting it in multiple places. Has anyone run into this before and successfully fixed it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

decypher posted:

Guess which Spotlight window is with "Increased Contract" ticked?

I did open a a bug in Radar for that.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

I'm looking to keep track of recipes and things like that, and I'm probably ready to shell out the $20 for Paprika because it seems to be the go-to recipe manager, but I guess I'd like to hear some first-hand reviews. Is it really $20 better than just throwing your recipes in Evernote or OneNote? I realize that the iPhone app is another five bucks and so is the iPad app if I want it, but I'm not really that concerned about either. If I get into Paprika I'll happily pay the five bucks per.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that $20 is a lot of money for an app that I can probably easily duplicate in Evernote or OneNote so I'm hoping that there's enough value in everything else it does to make it worth the $20. Too bad there's no "demo".

Paprika's ability to scale recipes seamlessly and generate shopping lists are super useful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I haven't bought the Mac one yet but Paprika is loving amazing in iOS. I have both the iPad and iPhone versions and the way it picks up recipes from any website (especially now it can pull recipes directly from safari so you don't even need to use the app to search), being able to schedule dinners in a calendar and generate shopping lists for them. The way it scales recipes and automatically highlights any timers on the recipe so you can just touch and start this (this may be iOS only). I love it for cooking.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I use my side mouse buttons as Foward/Back on Chrome? On Windows it seemed as if the function was built in. I could quickly go in and out of pages by just using the side mouse buttons, but on OSX it doesn't do anything. I checked Chrome itself and the OSX system preferences but nothing stood out as useful.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Avocados posted:

How do I use my side mouse buttons as Foward/Back on Chrome? On Windows it seemed as if the function was built in. I could quickly go in and out of pages by just using the side mouse buttons, but on OSX it doesn't do anything. I checked Chrome itself and the OSX system preferences but nothing stood out as useful.

Seems like something you could probably do with BetterTouchTool.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Has automator been crashing continuously for anyone else?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Wild EEPROM posted:

Has automator been crashing continuously for anyone else?

No but Dropbox has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

PRADA SLUT posted:

Maybe it initializes the pictures before the boot or something, before it has a chance to connect to the drive?

From the last page, but this happens even when I'm sat there using the thing. Screensaver comes on and it's my pictures, I unlock it and do some work, I end up talking to someone for 5 mins and it comes on again but it's reset to the National Geographic pics.