Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bigass Moth posted:

Can I get a skin recommendation that let's me pin addons to the main menu? Is that even possible?

You can with the stock confluence skin and some file editing, but it's not super simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The stock Confluence skin let's you pin a few video add-ons.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Call Me Charlie posted:

Amber.

Add the add-on or android app to your favorites then Settings -> Home Menu -> Select an empty slot -> Select the app -> Name it

Thanks, that worked perfectly!

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Uthor posted:

You can with the stock confluence skin and some file editing, but it's not super simple.
Yes it is, it can be done right from the skin's settings.

edit: Anybody know of a way to pin playlists to the home screen using Confluence? This could be done in Hybrid, but Hybrid doesn't have a version for the latest releases of Kodi (ugh).

torjus fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 3, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Haven't had that happen on mine. Are you exiting out of XBMC so the device can go to sleep when it's not in use?

I've actually done both (leave it in XBMC & exit out) and had this problem.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
I'm hoping for some recommendations for what to buy/install to get a nicer HTPC setup than screen-sharing my laptop connected to my tv via an HDMI cable. This works well but here are some things I would like to do:

1. Do this wirelessly. Looks like there are all sorts of things for this like Chromecast, Roku etc.
2. I want to be able to play local video files (some in 1080p) and not have it look like crap on account of the wireless.
3. Also would like to play in-browser videos on the tv.
4. A neat interface where I can see separate Hulu, Netflix apps, plus a cool looking local file library browser that uses those nfo files. I think this is what XBMC/Plex is for?

Can anyone suggest what they think is the best way to achieve these things? My research says Chromecast for wireless and separate internet video streaming apps, then XBMC/Plex for playing my local files and browsing them in a pretty manner.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

I've actually done both (leave it in XBMC & exit out) and had this problem.

Try uninstalling XBMC and seeing if the stick still overheats. If so, get it swapped out

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Is the USTV VoD plugin still the best/recommended way to access the various US broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, etc) streaming episodes content? (I don't care about live streams, just watching recent episodes of shows after they've aired.)

I've got a Fire TV headed my way and I'm planning to put XBMC on there to replace my Roku3/Plex setup. I know it'll be able to directly play my music/movies off my NAS. But one of the other things I use Plex for is viewing the streaming episodes on my TV and I'd like to be able to do that natively with XBMC as well.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So before, I was having issues with about 7 or 8 movies not showing up in my library despite using MediaElch to make sure they had NFOs and art and all that jazz even though I can see them in the file list if I just browse there. Someone told me to highlight them in the list and just press "I" but that isn't working for me. I do that, get asked to name the file (which I do), click ok, and it just keeps asking me to name the file over and over. If I click cancel and update my library, I get nothing. Some basic research seems to suggest that they took that out of 13.2. Any other ideas?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Opulent Ceremony posted:

I'm hoping for some recommendations for what to buy/install to get a nicer HTPC setup than screen-sharing my laptop connected to my tv via an HDMI cable. This works well but here are some things I would like to do:

1. Do this wirelessly. Looks like there are all sorts of things for this like Chromecast, Roku etc.
2. I want to be able to play local video files (some in 1080p) and not have it look like crap on account of the wireless.
3. Also would like to play in-browser videos on the tv.
4. A neat interface where I can see separate Hulu, Netflix apps, plus a cool looking local file library browser that uses those nfo files. I think this is what XBMC/Plex is for?

Can anyone suggest what they think is the best way to achieve these things? My research says Chromecast for wireless and separate internet video streaming apps, then XBMC/Plex for playing my local files and browsing them in a pretty manner.

Does your laptop support Miracast (also named Wi-Di)? That would let you play your browser videos on your laptop and mirror them to your TV with the right receiver.

Roku 3 is a Miracast receiver and also has apps for Netflix, Hulu, etc. That would let you use your laptop wirelessly if that is what you wanted. But you can't run XBMC directly on it. There is a Plex app, but I can't say anything about it.

You could also get a Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick. They both do pretty much everything that a Roku can do but also can have XBMC/KODI sideloaded on them and run directly and they also have Plex as well. It is worth nothing that to also are Miracast receivers but you have to manually start their receiver app every time you want to use it and it is buried under about 3 menus.

Playing back 1080p over wireless is totally doable with 802.11N or AC but will really depend on your wireless setup, the bitrate of the file, and the over all quality of your location for wifi (like do you have a lot of neighbors with WiFi competing for frequency space). No one here can tell you for sure if it will work. You will just have to try it on your own.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

Helpful stuff

Thanks for all of the info, I will continue to investigate with that in mind and make a decision.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

chizad posted:

Is the USTV VoD plugin still the best/recommended way to access the various US broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, etc) streaming episodes content? (I don't care about live streams, just watching recent episodes of shows after they've aired.)

I've got a Fire TV headed my way and I'm planning to put XBMC on there to replace my Roku3/Plex setup. I know it'll be able to directly play my music/movies off my NAS. But one of the other things I use Plex for is viewing the streaming episodes on my TV and I'd like to be able to do that natively with XBMC as well.

I've found everything I'm looking for with the Genesis addon, which seems a little more consistent than when I used to use USTV.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
the biggest factor in streaming 1080p content wirelessly is going to be the bitrate. I have 1080p videos that really don't have a high bitrate that work great wirelessly. Most are choppy as hell until I plug in the cable. And that's with a meraki 5Ghz access point in a neighborhood with few wireless access points.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been thinking about replacing my Zotac Zbox AD10, what are my options nowadays? Any clear HTPC winners? 803.11ac would be nice, along with enough CPU power to be snappy when dealing with 500+ videos.

Wha about the Amazon Fire TV? All the bugs worked out? I've been thinking about getting one for the bedroom.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What will you be using it for? Just XBMC? A NUC is what everyone seems to recommend for a real HTPC. I think the Fire TV requires a lot of fuckery to get XBMC on there. A Fire TV is good if you have time to screw with it, you require an Ethernet port, and you're not looking to spend much money.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

What will you be using it for? Just XBMC? A NUC is what everyone seems to recommend for a real HTPC. I think the Fire TV requires a lot of fuckery to get XBMC on there. A Fire TV is good if you have time to screw with it, you require an Ethernet port, and you're not looking to spend much money.

No fuckery required. You turn on ADP in the settings of the FireTV and there is an app for windows that you just select APKs you want to load, put in the IP address of the FireTV, and say go. After that, it is turning on the right hardware acceleration settings (2 clicks) and using something like Llama to make it so you don't have to go into the settings to launch XBMC, which there are dead simple instructions on how to do this.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

KKKLIP ART posted:

No fuckery required. You turn on ADP in the settings of the FireTV and there is an app for windows that you just select APKs you want to load, put in the IP address of the FireTV, and say go. After that, it is turning on the right hardware acceleration settings (2 clicks) and using something like Llama to make it so you don't have to go into the settings to launch XBMC, which there are dead simple instructions on how to do this.

It's really even easier than that if you use the Fire TV Utility App. The stick needs to be turned off after use, the actual FireTV I leave XBMC running 24/7.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

suddenlyissoon posted:

It's really even easier than that if you use the Fire TV Utility App. The stick needs to be turned off after use, the actual FireTV I leave XBMC running 24/7.

Yeah thats what I'm saying, you just turn on ADP on the fireTV, write down the IP address, then use the FireTV Utility app and its done. After that it is just fiddling in the settings.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
What's all this stuff I read about Fire TVs with old firmware, not updating to the latest version, etc.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

wolfbiker posted:

What's all this stuff I read about Fire TVs with old firmware, not updating to the latest version, etc.

That's all if you want to root it, which allows you to connect an external drive to the USB port, use the Google Play store among other things. If you want to use it as designed, and load XBMC, you don't need to worry about that at all.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I've been thinking about replacing my Zotac Zbox AD10, what are my options nowadays? Any clear HTPC winners? 803.11ac would be nice, along with enough CPU power to be snappy when dealing with 500+ videos.

Wha about the Amazon Fire TV? All the bugs worked out? I've been thinking about getting one for the bedroom.

I retired my AD10 to the spare bedroom and now it's acting as a upnp hub for my Fire TV/Fire TV sticks around the house. It was a really simple transition.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Since the conversation has turned that way, does anyone have opinions on the FireTV vs the FireTV stick for using XBMC? I'm trying to set up a second XBMC instance in my house, and don't want to build another HTPC for it. I'm looking for an always-on solution that is idiot-proof, as not everyone in the home is tech savvy, so if one is more prone to hard locks and fidgeting, it won't work for me.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sputnik posted:

Since the conversation has turned that way, does anyone have opinions on the FireTV vs the FireTV stick for using XBMC? I'm trying to set up a second XBMC instance in my house, and don't want to build another HTPC for it. I'm looking for an always-on solution that is idiot-proof, as not everyone in the home is tech savvy, so if one is more prone to hard locks and fidgeting, it won't work for me.

If things you need to stream have pretty high bitrates it might stutter a lot with the stick due to WiFi only. Some people report a tiny bit of lag on the stick but others say it's quick as can be.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Sputnik posted:

If you have the option of wired networking, get the FireTV.

If you want to use a skin that is more graphically intense (Aeon MQ, Aeon, Nox, etc), probably want the FireTV.

Otherwise, the FireTV Stick is surprisingly capable of running XBMC.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What issues does it have with wifi? Specifics?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Bigass Moth posted:

If you have super duper high bitrate 1080p blu-ray rips, wifi just doesn't have the throughput for it, especially when you factor in interference from other networks and having to go through walls and poo poo.

I don't have very many of those kinds of files, and haven't had any problems running XBMC on my FireTV stick. It's a tiny bit sluggish at times, but not so much so that my technologically incompetent girlfriend can't work it easily.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bigass Moth posted:

The farther clarify what Viper_3000 said, there is nothing wrong with the WiFi specifically on the FireTV or TV Stick. Wifi in general is not as reliable as a wired connection for streaming high bit rate videos files. You should always use wired if it is an option.

That said, I am using a FireTV Stick in my exercise room and it hasn't had any issues with streaming 1080p files yet, but I don't think any of the ones I have tried were very high bit rate. It does have a little interface lag but that is mostly because of the skin I am using.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
My OTT M8 just arrives and I'm pretty impressed. Works with all my HD stuff over the Ethernet.

Only problem is that it came with XBMC beta so I upgraded and now video doesn't work. The sound of the movie works fine but no picture. Am I doing something dumb?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

You could also probably increase the amount of the file XBMC buffers if you are going to use the stick to help offset the WiFi streaming thing for high bitrate items

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got an Ethernet jack right next to where my FireTV stick is going to be plugged in. I'm going to plug a wifi dongle thingy or router or something in to it.

Hopefully being 12" away from it will let it handle higher bitrate.

We'll see when I get around to hooking it up...

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is going on over in OpenELEC world? I try writing their image to the usb stick, all goes well no errors pop up. I boot off it and I get some bullshit "No system or UI directive found" I search that and it involves editing the create_installstick file to format into Fat32.

I don't feel like getting involved in that so I just download it on a Windows box and use their .exe file to do the identical process and when I boot it "Cannot find ldlinux.c32" :cmon:

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I'm having a problem that I can't for the life of me figure out with XBMC.

When my library updates TV shows, it doesn't scrape episode information from most shows, or display the thumbnail under recently added episodes.

If I actually click on Recently Added Episodes the new files will be displayed there but with no episode information. Refreshing episode information does not do anything.

The weird thing is that I have two XBMC installs on two different machines and one of them works perfectly. I've tried multiple different versions from 13.1 to Kodi nightlies, I've tried fresh intsalls, I've tried XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC. None of them will behave properly.

This is what it looks like from the home screen.

This is what the recently added episodes list actually looks like

And this is what it looks like on the installation that is working properly. As you can see all episodes have had the correct titles scraped and are added to the home screen recently added episodes.

I'm at my wits end here. Anyone know what is going on, why would two installs of the same version, loading files from the same library be behaving so differently?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I just bought a HDHomerun Prime. Apparently I have to run a backend for the EPG/PVR capability in the Live TV poo poo.

How do I just get the EPG? I have no intention of recording shows.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Nevermind, I didn't understand the question.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 7, 2014

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

My OTT M8 just arrives and I'm pretty impressed. Works with all my HD stuff over the Ethernet.

Only problem is that it came with XBMC beta so I upgraded and now video doesn't work. The sound of the movie works fine but no picture. Am I doing something dumb?

Go in and make sure mediaencode is off and libstage fright is on in advanced video settings for hardware acceleration.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

Go in and make sure mediaencode is off and libstage fright is on in advanced video settings for hardware acceleration.

That works but is actually turning off hardware acceleration. 720p works fine but 1080p chokes. You need either a prepatched xbmc or to change the permissions with ghost commander.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

You could also probably increase the amount of the file XBMC buffers if you are going to use the stick to help offset the WiFi streaming thing for high bitrate items

The default buffer size for XBMC is only 30MB, I bumped mine up and all of my buffer issues dissapeared. I wrote a post a couple pages back about the process and results.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
My OpenELEC seems knackered. For some reason Sabnzbdsuite cannot get past the repair stage. It will grab something, and then immediately go into Repair:Starting repair. Then it'll switch back to downloading some blocks, then back to repair. Then back to downloading, then back to repair. I've downgraded and upgraded Openelec and it's made no difference. This is whether I use the suite or use Audo. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both numerous times and it's made no difference.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

My OpenELEC seems knackered. For some reason Sabnzbdsuite cannot get past the repair stage. It will grab something, and then immediately go into Repair:Starting repair. Then it'll switch back to downloading some blocks, then back to repair. Then back to downloading, then back to repair. I've downgraded and upgraded Openelec and it's made no difference. This is whether I use the suite or use Audo. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both numerous times and it's made no difference.

That Sabnzbdsuite always has had trouble because it's a unofficial side project (at least initially) it's quite likely your Sabnzbd version hasn't been updated in ages. Check in over in the Usenet thread in SH/SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

That works but is actually turning off hardware acceleration. 720p works fine but 1080p chokes. You need either a prepatched xbmc or to change the permissions with ghost commander.

I guess the special xbmc that comes with finless 1.8 really is necessary. I believe its by Oman. Search Oman xbmc amlogic