Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

If I delete my skyrim directory and re-install, can I keep my MO list unaltered? Or does MO store some config files inside the Skyrim game directory?

I'm asking because I had PerkusMaximus installed and I want to switch back to SPERG and it sounds like doing a clean install would be a good idea.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
If you're using MO then your Skyrim directory should remain unaltered, thus no reason to reinstall it; that's the big sell of MO. You could just start a new profile in MO.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Having an issue getting SkyUI to work for me. Whenever I try to install it from Mod Organizer, it says: Problem 1- The SKSE scripts are missing.

Potential causes:
* You didn't install the scripts with the rest of SKSE.

Solution:
1. Re-install SKSE. Make sure you extract the 'Data/' folder from the downloaded archive to your Skyrim installation directory.

Thing is, SKSE should be working. I downloaded the installer and set the file path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\. Game runs fine afterwards and putting GetSKSEVersion into the console gets me a response. What am I doing wrong, here?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ignorant Hick posted:

Thing is, SKSE should be working. I downloaded the installer and set the file path to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\. Game runs fine afterwards and putting GetSKSEVersion into the console gets me a response. What am I doing wrong, here?

Nothing. Mods installed in MO can't see each other so SkyUI thinks SKSE isn't there. It'll still work fine in game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ignorant Hick posted:

Well, its not the cause of your problems now, but it probably will cause problems later. You shouldn't have your steam install in program files. There are instructions for moving it, Google it.

Trust me, it will save you headaches in the future.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Got it, thanks guys. And I'll look into moving my steam install out of the program files.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, its not the cause of your problems now, but it probably will cause problems later. You shouldn't have your steam install in program files. There are instructions for moving it, Google it.

Trust me, it will save you headaches in the future.

Would moving Skyrim affect mods installed through steam?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Would moving Skyrim affect mods installed through steam?

No

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ugh, I think I'll have to give up on the Fire and Ice Overhaul, which is a shame, as I really like about half of it.

The part I really like is the fire effects, seeing the fire spread everywhere is really cool, but the ice spikes that pop up everywhere means that it's pretty much impossible to get around, especially when fighting frost dragons. Getting encased in ice is immersive in a very literal way, but it's also really annoying. Also the spikes tend to be floating in midair.

They also seem to cause a bit of an fps-drop for me, though that might just be because of the ice retexture mod I'm using, plus ENBs and all that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm finally playing through Helgen Reborn after having it installed forever and am at the part where you do the soldier training and go through several caves and ruins. I've really enjoyed the dungeon design and level of detail that's been put into each of these so far. I had also installed Forgotten Dungeons looking to add more one-off random dungeons and ruins to explore and it's been pretty disappointing in contrast. I've done three and they have all been very blah; the lack of imagination in level design and slap-dash cluttering really shows, especially compared to how nice the ones in Helgen Reborn have been. If all you want is big rooms full of bad guys to punch I guess it works but overall it's very boring and I wouldn't recommend. I'll probably end up finishing the rest but won't be carrying it over to any new saves.

I'm interested in adding more random dungeons and one-off quests that feel vanilla but well-crafted. I don't want to add a bunch of new world areas that require patching a bunch of poo poo, just places that feel like extra radiant quest locations that I can randomly find exploring. I'll be browsing on my own but suggestions are appreciated so I don't miss a really great mod or end up wasting time on some broken garbage.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm finally playing through Helgen Reborn after having it installed forever and am at the part where you do the soldier training and go through several caves and ruins. I've really enjoyed the dungeon design and level of detail that's been put into each of these so far. I had also installed Forgotten Dungeons looking to add more one-off random dungeons and ruins to explore and it's been pretty disappointing in contrast. I've done three and they have all been very blah; the lack of imagination in level design and slap-dash cluttering really shows, especially compared to how nice the ones in Helgen Reborn have been. If all you want is big rooms full of bad guys to punch I guess it works but overall it's very boring and I wouldn't recommend. I'll probably end up finishing the rest but won't be carrying it over to any new saves.

I'm interested in adding more random dungeons and one-off quests that feel vanilla but well-crafted. I don't want to add a bunch of new world areas that require patching a bunch of poo poo, just places that feel like extra radiant quest locations that I can randomly find exploring. I'll be browsing on my own but suggestions are appreciated so I don't miss a really great mod or end up wasting time on some broken garbage.

Conan Hyborian Age is a pretty good dungeon crawl, and it adds some nice new weapons. Sword of Sigdan is another good one. There's also a mod called Northern Encounters that's supposed to add a lot of random locations and NPCs, mostly around the Sea of Ghosts. The ThirteenOranges quests are decent, but I remember them being a little light on action. The Fight Against the Thalmor series is supposed to be more of a series of interesting interconnected locations than a big elaborate quest, so you might want to look at that too. It does need a patch for Helgen Reborn, though.

Interesting NPCs also adds quite a few quests that fit into the game pretty seamlessly.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks! I just went through a bunch in the Quests category on the Nexus and I know Sword of Sigdan was one I downloaded. I looked at Fight Against the Thalmor and don't remember exactly why I passed on it (they have all run together at this point) but I think it was more involved than I wanted to handle right now. Northern Encounters looks like fun. I love Conan but crossover with outside properties is weird to me so I will probably skip that one for now.

Going out of town for three days so of course I downloaded a bunch of new mods that I won't have time to even install. :negative:
I'll post a list of what I ended up keeping after I figure out what's going to work, and will check out any further suggestions when I get back.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

SPERG also has a perk that gives you a second version of your racial power that you can use every 6 in-game hours. That's about 18 minutes real time. Together with the original version of the power, you could be berserker raging all over the place. And you can take it right at the start of the game.

Not sure if it's just SPERG doing it, or Resplendent Racials as well, but not only do I have the original Orc Berserk and the advanced version, but berserk will randomly fire off when in combat. So, someone spots me and goes hostile? I may find out by GHRRRRAAAAHHHHH KILLKILLKILLKILL :black101:. And the random effect isn't on the 6-hour cooldown - I've had it fire multiple times in a single battle. :getin:

Of course, it's a little annoying when I'm wandering around somewhere and everything goes all blurry, but the triggering enemy is in a different building/area of a dungeon or on the surface/underwater and such...

Stupid enchanting question one: since CapnBeeb failed his "save vs. mod/probation", I thought I'd pass on his request for a mod that adds the "sun enchantment" from Dawnguard gear or Auriel's Bow as a normal enchantment; he was also wondering about getting the effects of silver weapons as an enchantment as well. (I'll append more questions/details if he has 'em - I'm in IRC with him later.)

Stupid enchanting question two: is there any mod to add offensive enchants to gauntlets/gloves for melee? Lightning/fire/frost knuckles, for example. "FEAR THE EBONY FIST OF LEI ZI!" :science:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Not sure if it's just SPERG doing it, or Resplendent Racials as well, but not only do I have the original Orc Berserk and the advanced version, but berserk will randomly fire off when in combat. So, someone spots me and goes hostile? I may find out by GHRRRRAAAAHHHHH KILLKILLKILLKILL :black101:. And the random effect isn't on the 6-hour cooldown - I've had it fire multiple times in a single battle. :getin:

That's resplendent.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there any kind of mod that would either speed up the equip/unequip animation of spells, or allow me to bind them to hotkeys and cast them without having them equipped?
I'm playing a pure mage character and it would be a lot more fun if I could sling around a bunch of variety instead of just spamming some destruction spell.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Grimy's Utilities will, its not on the Nexus, google it.

Edit: Also, you should try Spectraverse. It's spells are destruction and designed to all work in concertm setting enemies up for 1-2 punches.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Grimy's Utilities will, its not on the Nexus, google it.

Edit: Also, you should try Spectraverse. It's spells are destruction and designed to all work in concertm setting enemies up for 1-2 punches.
Cool, I will check those out. Happen to know if Spectraverse is compatible with SPERG? I ask because it says its not with SkyRe and PerMA and SPERG is a similar overhaul.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Wadjamaloo posted:

Is there any kind of mod that would either speed up the equip/unequip animation of spells, or allow me to bind them to hotkeys and cast them without having them equipped?
I'm playing a pure mage character and it would be a lot more fun if I could sling around a bunch of variety instead of just spamming some destruction spell.

You may have to do some favorites management, but SmartCast sounds like just the thing. Be warned that being able to cast way more spells instantly, at will depending on your mana can get pretty overpowered.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Buried alive posted:

You may have to do some favorites management, but SmartCast sounds like just the thing. Be warned that being able to cast way more spells instantly, at will depending on your mana can get pretty overpowered.
I was already using this and more hotkeys please. I stayed away from the smart cast stuff like auto-healing, but I'm mostly OK with being overpowered. I just want fun. I was using it to autocast oakflesh when entering combat though.
I'm trying to use some restraint, and i'm mostly just looking for ways to make combat more fluid. Grimy's seems to be exactly what I am looking for, and that combined with more hotkeys should get me what I need.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Wadjamaloo posted:

Cool, I will check those out. Happen to know if Spectraverse is compatible with SPERG? I ask because it says its not with SkyRe and PerMA and SPERG is a similar overhaul.

SPERG is compatible with pretty much everything that doesn't change perks. As far as I know, Spectraverse just adds spells and quests, so it should be fine. SkyRe and PerMa do a lot more stuff that can cause compatibility issues.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that The Last Altar apparently doesn't work with SPERG. Does anyone know why?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wadjamaloo posted:

It works fine with SPERG. all of EnaiSiaion's mods do.

Praetorian Mage posted:

SPERG is compatible with pretty much everything that doesn't change perks. As far as I know, Spectraverse just adds spells and quests, so it should be fine. SkyRe and PerMa do a lot more stuff that can cause compatibility issues.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that The Last Altar apparently doesn't work with SPERG. Does anyone know why?

It's because of how The Last Altar detects what spell effects you know. I'd have made a patch by now, since the author has apparently hosed off to the moon or something, but it's the worst kind of spagetti code in those scripts.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, the spells won't benefit from SPERG perks without a comp patch though but they're usually balanced around vanilla stuff so that would make them overpowered anyway..

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Zeron posted:

Yeah, the spells won't benefit from SPERG perks without a comp patch though but they're usually balanced around vanilla stuff so that would make them overpowered anyway..

So does that mean I can actually use the mod with SPERG, but I'll just miss out on some functionality? Or does it actually break stuff?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Actually they do work fine with SPERG perks. SPERG seems to have really be designed with out-of-the-box compatibility.

Anyhow, I found something rather great tonight. The Brawl Bugs Cheat Patch. Basically, its supposed to make it so the Brawl bugs patch lets anything go during a brawl. No more trying to figure out which of my 200 mods is breaking brawls. It was originally on a mediafire link, I've rehosted it on my Google Drive.

Also, while I was trying to figure out which one of my 200 mods is breaking brawls, it turned out that it might be loving Interesting NPCs, for the stupidest reason ever (hiding the fact that some of their NPCs dont have voice files for Brawl Spectating :rolleyes:)

Edit: Also, while trying to get something else to work, I found out that Eorlund Grey-Mane, the finest loving smith in all of Skyrim, has a smithing skill of forty-gods-damned-four.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 9, 2014

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

Anyhow, I found something rather great tonight. The Brawl Bugs Cheat Patch. Basically, its supposed to make it so the Brawl bugs patch lets anything go during a brawl.

So to be clear, what this does is fix the weirdness of brawling by theoretically allowing you to bust out your sword?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually they do work fine with SPERG perks. SPERG seems to have really be designed with out-of-the-box compatibility.

Anyhow, I found something rather great tonight. The Brawl Bugs Cheat Patch. Basically, its supposed to make it so the Brawl bugs patch lets anything go during a brawl. No more trying to figure out which of my 200 mods is breaking brawls. It was originally on a mediafire link, I've rehosted it on my Google Drive.

Also, while I was trying to figure out which one of my 200 mods is breaking brawls, it turned out that it might be loving Interesting NPCs, for the stupidest reason ever (hiding the fact that some of their NPCs dont have voice files for Brawl Spectating :rolleyes:)

Edit: Also, while trying to get something else to work, I found out that Eorlund Grey-Mane, the finest loving smith in all of Skyrim, has a smithing skill of forty-gods-damned-four.

I don't think Interesting NPC would break brawls. I have both the Brawl bug patch and Interesting NPC and brawls work fine for me.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
I am running skyrim with a bunch of mods. I am having some problems with reading books. The book is offset so i cant see half of the left hand side of the pages.

I have
Skyrim
Heartfire
High res dlc
Unnoficial patches to above

SKSE
SkyUi
Flora respawn fix
Weapons and armor fixes remade
Run for your lives.

Is there some kind of easy ini.edit i can do or is it more complicated then taht?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

what's the most dramatic overhauling of the leveling/skill/perk system? I want to try and make it all as unlike Skyrim as I possibly can with mods.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Agents are GO! posted:

I think that may be intentional, He's seen as the best smith because the skyforge just makes better quality steel.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I don't think Interesting NPC would break brawls. I have both the Brawl bug patch and Interesting NPC and brawls work fine for me.

Well, it's the only mod I have other than the Brawl Bugs patch that affects the Brawl miniquest, and it completely overrides both the BBP and the USKP entries, and doesn't contain any of the failsafes that the BBP does. I don't see why not, because the BBP is listed as a modders resource, explicitly giving permission to work those changes into other mods.

GunnerJ posted:

So to be clear, what this does is fix the weirdness of brawling by theoretically allowing you to bust out your sword?

Yes.

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Just started Skyrim up from last year. Updated mods where needed and have updated ENB Series + Phinix to the newest versions. Windows 8.1 keeps throwing a hissy fit though because I'm using like 6.5GB of system RAM. ENB Series seems to be using nearly 3GB on its own. Is this normal? I've had VRAM issues in the past with a 2GB video card, but never anything like this.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

what's the most dramatic overhauling of the leveling/skill/perk system? I want to try and make it all as unlike Skyrim as I possibly can with mods.

I've been playing a new game through with Perkus Maximus and have been enjoying it quite a bit. It's modular based on the mage/thief/warrior archetype system that groups skills together. It features a magic overhaul too if you use the Mage system. The biggest benefit is that normally passive skill trees have unlockable abilities(as lesser powers) that can be used in combat.

For example, Speech has one that allows you to buff ally actors for a short duration, and another that is literally talking your enemies to death if their combined level and speech skill sum is less than your speech skill.

Smithing allows you to make deployable Dwarven construct followers that are able to be picked back up.

Enchanting can make temporary followers out of held weapons by animating them.

It doesn't fix a lot of the leveling system woes(speech is still going to level mostly from selling) but it does a decent job of making some trees that were one dimensional, or full of useless perks, more useful. There is also a pseudo specialization system in place that allows you to pick mega perks among the skills grouped by archetype.

If you decide to try it out, for your own sanity, get the mod that replaces the perk descriptions with actually useful info. The author of PerMa, for whatever reason, decided flavor text was the way to go. And thats my only real complaint about the mod.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 9, 2014

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Skaw posted:

If you decide to try it out, for your own sanity, get the mod that replaces the perk descriptions with actually useful info. The author of PerMa, for whatever reason, decided flavor text was the way to go. And thats my only real complaint about the mod.

poo poo. I've been thinking about trying PerMa next time I start a new character, I can't imagine trying to decipher what a perk actually does with the author's flavour text judging from his rambling novel of a Nexus page. I ended up giving up and just watching one of the videos to work it out. All that being said the mod looks pretty cool.

vvv Noice, thanks

Frankly fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 9, 2014

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Alright, I made that post about PerMa on my phone. Now that I'm home, here's a link to the mod I mentioned that removes the dumb flavor text descriptions. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59854/

If you still want the flavor text, it has a version that tacks on the perk info after it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cool, thanks for the recommendation I'll be sure to check it out.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Decided to reinstall this and holy poo poo. Can someone explain to me how a rig that runs FC4 on max-ultra at 50+ FPS barely gets 25 with an SSAO enb profile? :psyduck:

I mean, I realize it's kind of apples and oranges, but it's ridiculous. Sure is pretty, though :allears:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Naturally Selected posted:

Decided to reinstall this and holy poo poo. Can someone explain to me how a rig that runs FC4 on max-ultra at 50+ FPS barely gets 25 with an SSAO enb profile? :psyduck:

I mean, I realize it's kind of apples and oranges, but it's ridiculous. Sure is pretty, though :allears:

enb was made by a crazy russian while FC4 probably had a team devoted to optimization.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Man Whore posted:

enb was made by a crazy russian while FC4 probably had a team devoted to optimization.

There's that, and the fact that the first download link you see is for v119, when it's up to v264 :downs: Got a 15-20fps bump with everything pushed to max once I got the new version. SMAA is a godsend.

Damned if this game isn't pretty as all hell, though :allears:

Now, on topic-are there any good new armor/weapon mods that aren't on Nexus? Running immersive armors/weapons and amidian texture packs right now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Naturally Selected posted:

There's that, and the fact that the first download link you see is for v119, when it's up to v264 :downs: Got a 15-20fps bump with everything pushed to max once I got the new version. SMAA is a godsend.

Damned if this game isn't pretty as all hell, though :allears:

Now, on topic-are there any good new armor/weapon mods that aren't on Nexus? Running immersive armors/weapons and amidian texture packs right now.

Im sure you can find some knock off weapons from other games on the Workshop, but otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is RCRN any good? I'm kinda tired of the Climates of Tamriel + Realistic Lighting Overhaul combo and wanna change things up

mostly I just want a lighting mod that supports Dragonborn

• Locked thread