Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

GOOCHY posted:

Someone doesn't know how DHCP works and I'm not entirely sure it's just the "network engineer".

Great. Fine. I fully accept the fact that I don't deal with the nuts and bolts of DHCP every day so I'm not intimately familiar with its inner workings.

The dude set up the IPAM system after several servers (including domain controllers) were set up to use static IPs. IPs that are part of the now valid IP scope for the DHCP server.

He also never went back and excluded those IPs from the scope so that at least nobody can request the a lease using those IPs.

Cojawfee posted:

You should really read a networking book or something.

Does this program delete the IP assignment or just the lease? The former sounds retarded. When the dhcp lease expires, the computer asks the server for a new IP. The dhcp server just gives it the same IP again for the next big guess four years.

No idea, as stated I have no idea what the software running is since it's half in Chinese.

It has no identifying information on any of the web pages, but I guess that's what our Networking guy (who also happens to be our Security Engineer) considers "secure".

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you've got domain controllers, you've probably got Windows servers, and you probably have a DHCP server on that same Windows DC server. Your Windows server should not be half in Chinese.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck vendor api is returning $0 as the price on every product $8000 products are being listed as $40 FML FML FML

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I'll briefly explain how a DHCP server works.

A computer sends out a network broadcast saying "Hey, I need some kind of IP address."
The DHCP server takes the MAC and sees if it already has a lease. The computer will either have a lease because it was just recently (as in the past week not the past four years) on the network or because you have set up a static IP for it (on the DHCP server NOT on the computer). It then responds with the IP address the computer should assign itself.

What you do is get the MACs of all those servers you want to have static IPs and set up static leases for them on the DHCP server. Then whenever they connect to the network, they will receive those IPs and the DHCP server won't give them out to anyone else. Then once a week the leases will expire (which is normal). When the lease expires, the computer will ask for a new lease. Then the DHCP server looks up the static assignment again and sends the correct address. No one in the whole world sets their DHCP leases to four years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's overly complicated. In a real network, you begin your DHCP lease range above a certain number in the subnet (say, 50), and all of your servers and critical applications reside on static IPs below that range. So your DNS, DC, web server, etc. are .11, .12, .13, .14 and your host leases being at .50. Registering the IP addresses of critical services on the DHCP server is a bad idea because if the DHCP server becomes unavailable, those servers may not be able to acquire an IP address and will become unavailable.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

No one in the whole world sets their DHCP leases to four years.

Well, it seems one company does.
DHCP is pretty basic and easy stuff. And I'm just working on my CCNA, and we covered DHCP pretty thoroughly in the material. Its not even very complicated.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You can learn just about everything you need to know about basic DHCP and how to set it up on most consumer level routers, as well. They rarely lack the functionality you need to play with all of this.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Scaramouche posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck vendor api is returning $0 as the price on every product $8000 products are being listed as $40 FML FML FML

I wish to order infinity of your finest $0 items. I will get mad at some poor phone monkey when you cancel my order due to a price mistake.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

anthonypants posted:

If you've got domain controllers, you've probably got Windows servers, and you probably have a DHCP server on that same Windows DC server. Your Windows server should not be half in Chinese.

I know what a Windows DHCP environment looks like. This isn't it, since we aren't logging into a server via RDP (or managing it via MMC snapin).

psydude posted:

That's overly complicated. In a real network, you begin your DHCP lease range above a certain number in the subnet (say, 50), and all of your servers and critical applications reside on static IPs below that range. So your DNS, DC, web server, etc. are .11, .12, .13, .14 and your host leases being at .50. Registering the IP addresses of critical services on the DHCP server is a bad idea because if the DHCP server becomes unavailable, those servers may not be able to acquire an IP address and will become unavailable.

Hah, yeah. This is how it should be. I can give out a DHCP lease of our loving default gateway. Now I don't know if that would work or not, but regardless it's listed as an available IP :psyduck:

This has all gone down hill since our "separation of duties" began. Basically, in the old days, our Network Operations department was closely linked to our IT department, IT being basically hell desk. All servers/Domain poo poo/email was management by NetOps, for better or worse.

A while back we got a dedicated IT Manager who also acted as a Systems Administrator. We rebuilt our old domain into a new one, and that's where the problems started because our Network Engineer (who is also the Manager of IT/Security Manager/Sr Network Engineer (seeing the problem?)) decided that NetOps had no business managing IT (despite the fact that we historically had the most experience managing servers since it's what we do all day).

So now we have a domain in which I have nobody in NetOps has any admin access. The IT Manager bothers us every day about poo poo we would be able to deal with, yet we are denied access because it's not our department, when it was in the first place.

This is all made worse by the fact that this is a Chinese company, and Chinamen love to work in their silos. Basically, if it isn't part of your department (and the term department is used extremely loosely) you have no business knowing anything about what the other department is doing.

The day we got our new RSA SecureID tokens was the day that we found out we had a new RSA secured VPN for us to use.

Oh and they deleted all of our firewall rules that were allowing us to work from our office. No warning.

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 6, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rexxed posted:

I wish to order infinity of your finest $0 items. I will get mad at some poor phone monkey when you cancel my order due to a price mistake.

Someone bought about $30,000 worth of stuff for $150, 38 items on the order. I've been having support staff email them the second it goes off pending.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Scaramouche posted:

Someone bought about $30,000 worth of stuff for $150, 38 items on the order. I've been having support staff email them the second it goes off pending.

I hope you're prepared for Yelp reviews.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Cojawfee posted:

I hope you're prepared for Yelp reviews.

Yelp doesn't really apply to us. something like reseller ratings or shopper approved is more important because their stars show up on our CPC ads, and we've got thousands of five stars on there.

What bugs me is the bad prices were up for maybe 20 minutes... Ughh and it was all the vendors (and my) fault. I can feel my stomach eating itself. CEO is out of touch for hours; he's probably going to come home drunk scream at something and then poo poo a pie into my mouth.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Yelp doesn't really apply to us. something like reseller ratings or shopper approved is more important because their stars show up on our CPC ads, and we've got thousands of five stars on there.

What bugs me is the bad prices were up for maybe 20 minutes... Ughh and it was all the vendors (and my) fault. I can feel my stomach eating itself. CEO is out of touch for hours; he's probably going to come home drunk scream at something and then poo poo a pie into my mouth.

If you hurry, you can get cryptolocker to wreck all your servers so that the CEO is worried about something else instead.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you hurry, you can get cryptolocker to wreck all your servers so that the CEO is worried about something else instead.

Go delete his PSTs and deleted items folder with every email he's ever received (that he needs because he'll go to jail if he gets rid of even so much as a cafeteria special email) and corrupt his hard drive, which has the only copy of his grandkids elementary graduation.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Wicaeed posted:

Hah, yeah. This is how it should be. I can give out a DHCP lease of our loving default gateway. Now I don't know if that would work or not, but regardless it's listed as an available IP :psyduck:
You should get a DHCPDECLINE if a who-has comes back.

It sounds like your manager sucks at politics, honestly.

If you have experience managing servers and wanna do it, find a new company or switch departments

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

evol262 posted:

It sounds like your manager sucks at politics, honestly.

If you have experience managing servers and wanna do it, find a new company or switch departments

I get the feeling that I've pretty much ran into a dead end at this company honestly.

They aren't really doing much new in the way of tech. One of our departments still relies on DAS arrays connected to servers for their DBs :gonk:

Their failover consists of having a server right above it not doing anything, so that if the server fails we can just move the disk array to a new location :suicide:

Hotswap is not a term these guys understand, not to mention buying equipment that sits there doing gently caress-all.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Wicaeed posted:

Chinamen love to work in their silos.

Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

evol262 posted:

You should, but you can't count on it.

For some reason I will never understand the Windows DHCP service has the capability to do this, but it's disabled by default. You have to go digging in to an Advanced properties page (IPv4/IPv6 level in tree on 2008+, server level in 2003 or earlier) and set "Conflict Detection Attempts" to a number greater than "0" to enable it.

Otherwise the DHCP server will happily assign an IP that's in use.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wolrah posted:

You should, but you can't count on it.

For some reason I will never understand the Windows DHCP service has the capability to do this, but it's disabled by default. You have to go digging in to an Advanced properties page (IPv4/IPv6 level in tree on 2008+, server level in 2003 or earlier) and set "Conflict Detection Attempts" to a number greater than "0" to enable it.

Otherwise the DHCP server will happily assign an IP that's in use.

That may just be a counter. It's been a while since I touched Windows dhcp, but the client should send the decline, not the server. Then Windows marks it as invalid/taken in the scope. Greater than zero may just mean it re-offers an address it thinks is taken.

Someone should test this, though... If Windows doesn't decline addresses after a positive ARP, that's very stupid.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

That may just be a counter. It's been a while since I touched Windows dhcp, but the client should send the decline, not the server. Then Windows marks it as invalid/taken in the scope. Greater than zero may just mean it re-offers an address it thinks is taken.

Someone should test this, though... If Windows doesn't decline addresses after a positive ARP, that's very stupid.

An RFC compliant DHCP client is the one that checks for IP collisions and send the DHCPDECLINE back to the server. An RFC complaint DHCP server is *supposed* to put that address into a "contested" pool and not give it out again until a specified period of time has passed.

I learned way more than I thought I'd ever want to know about DHCP, the optional DHCP RFCs, and lovely clients when I was tracking down an address exhaustion issue. Let's just say gently caress Samsung TVs. Had a smart TV with a samsung chipset decline every goddamn address it requested and it burned through a /24 in about 3 seconds. Seen it happen on their phones also.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

flosofl posted:

An RFC compliant DHCP client is the one that checks for IP collisions and send the DHCPDECLINE back to the server. An RFC complaint DHCP server is *supposed* to put that address into a "contested" pool and not give it out again until a specified period of time has passed.

I learned way more than I thought I'd ever want to know about DHCP, the optional DHCP RFCs, and lovely clients when I was tracking down an address exhaustion issue. Let's just say gently caress Samsung TVs. Had a smart TV with a samsung chipset decline every goddamn address it requested and it burned through a /24 in about 3 seconds. Seen it happen on their phones also.
That may have been a bug in Android, which has a long history of DHCP noncompliance issues.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

That may have been a bug in Android, which has a long history of DHCP noncompliance issues.

Yeah, that's what we finally tracked it back to, but god drat that was annoying as hell. It was the phone that twigged us that the TV was using some kind of build forked from linux since it used the same 0.9x (or something like that) build of the DHCP client. We actually tracked it back to known bug in that specific version of dhcpc.What pisses me off about that is the fix of that DHCP package had been out for a while.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

Well, yeah. I think my question was more about whether Windows clients are compliant. I imagine they are and that trying to issue the same address as the gateway would fail, but I've never plumbed the depths or Windows

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I'm nowhere near pay parity with my two coworkers, entirely because my CCNA was lapsed when I did the interview. I have it now, updated my resume on sites, and have been getting at least a couple recruiters emailing me a day, almost all of them paying more than my coworkers make. There's a review coming up where I could potentially get a raise. Would it leave a bad taste in their mouths to walk in with some of the emails and ask for parity? I like my job and coworkers and I just don't want to be bitter that a piece of paper is costing me 30%.

e
poo poo, this is probably more suited for the working in IT thread

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 6, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm nowhere near pay parity with my two coworkers, entirely because my CCNA was lapsed when I did the interview. I have it now, updated my resume on sites, and have been getting at least a couple recruiters emailing me a day, almost all of them paying more than my coworkers make. There's a review coming up where I could potentially get a raise. Would it leave a bad taste in their mouths to walk in with some of the emails and ask for parity? I like my job and coworkers and I just don't want to be bitter that a piece of paper is costing me 30%.

e

Uh, recruiter emails are not official job offers, and therefore should be considered entirely meaningless with respect to pay or benefits or anything resembling the truth at all, ever. Even if they had some kind of weight behind them, waving those in a current employer's face is not leverage, it's a direct threat. You might as well walk in and say, "If you don't pay me what <coworker is making> I'm gonna quit!" Even reasonable managers are probably not going to take that very well, and a lot of managers have paper maché egos. Don't do it.

Feel free to ask for the raise, that doesn't hurt anyone. But don't be surprised when they reject a 30% increase.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Che Delilas posted:

Uh, recruiter emails are not official job offers, and therefore should be considered entirely meaningless with respect to pay or benefits or anything resembling the truth at all, ever. Even if they had some kind of weight behind them, waving those in a current employer's face is not leverage, it's a direct threat. You might as well walk in and say, "If you don't pay me what <coworker is making> I'm gonna quit!" Even reasonable managers are probably not going to take that very well, and a lot of managers have paper maché egos. Don't do it.

Feel free to ask for the raise, that doesn't hurt anyone. But don't be surprised when they reject a 30% increase.

It does help show he's not getting paid market rate though. It's a gamble, however; your boss could take that as a warning that you'll be leaving asap.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

It does help show he's not getting paid market rate though. It's a gamble, however; your boss could take that as a warning that you'll be leaving asap.

You can get that kind of data from salary survey websites and things though, and have it not be so personal, so as not to spook or offend fragile little middle management egos. I just really don't think it's ever a good idea to wave offers or the like in your current employer's face.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pudgygiant posted:

e

Don't do that.

You can be honest when you're talking about your personal goals that it's a concern of yours that your coworkers get paid a lot more even though you are presumably doing as good of a job as they are with the same credentials at this point. Just keep in mind that yes, your paycheck is totally your business, but this is up to your boss and pulling some power move bullshit is going to end badly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just pull salary averages and use those. I've used those in my last two reviews and i've got 3x more than he was going to have me on at this point. When he asked me why I looked up salary averages I said I was curious :shrug:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 7, 2014

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

I'm nowhere near pay parity with my two coworkers, entirely because my CCNA was lapsed when I did the interview. I have it now,

You can also follow up with this. Does your job give any bonus for getting certifications? Do they derive value from it, either cheaper support costs or partner status? There is usually a way to quantify how much having this should be worth.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Thanks, that's good advice

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

Well, yeah. I think my question was more about whether Windows clients are compliant. I imagine they are and that trying to issue the same address as the gateway would fail, but I've never plumbed the depths or Windows

I depends on the version of the Windows client. I know there was an issue AGES ago with windows 98 and early XP where declines weren't being sent, back in my ancient network admin days.

Ulitmately, networks are self-contained environments. If there's a problem, then you CAN find it. Does your dhcp-helper or forwarder work correctly, if you use one? Has anyone done a packet capture at a bottleneck point (probably best on the DHCP server itself) on UDP 67 and 68? That will tell you exactly what's loving up.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

This should go in the OP.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

flosofl posted:

I depends on the version of the Windows client. I know there was an issue AGES ago with windows 98 and early XP where declines weren't being sent, back in my ancient network admin days.

Ulitmately, networks are self-contained environments. If there's a problem, then you CAN find it. Does your dhcp-helper or forwarder work correctly, if you use one? Has anyone done a packet capture at a bottleneck point (probably best on the DHCP server itself) on UDP 67 and 68? That will tell you exactly what's loving up.

I'm not having dhcp problems, and I know how to troubleshoot them. It was a broad question which started with someone else saying "my IPAM server will let me reserve the gateway". I'm asseting that that will fail with a dhcpdecline from the client.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

I'm not having dhcp problems, and I know how to troubleshoot them. It was a broad question which started with someone else saying "my IPAM server will let me reserve the gateway". I'm asseting that that will fail with a dhcpdecline from the client.

Sorry, though you were that guy with the gateway "issue". Apologies.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pudgygiant posted:

If they are underpaying you that much, just find another job and leave.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

evol262 posted:

Nope, that option makes the server check itself. It slightly delays DHCP responses of course, but that's rarely a big deal.

flosofl posted:

Hmm, I had never looked in to it but actually...

RFC 2131 Section 3.1.2 posted:

When allocating a new address, servers SHOULD check that the offered network address is not already in use; e.g., the server may probe the offered address with an ICMP Echo Request. Servers SHOULD be implemented so that network administrators MAY choose to disable probes of newly allocated addresses.

RFC 2131 Section 3.1.5 posted:

The client SHOULD perform a final check on the parameters (e.g., ARP for allocated network address)

(...)

If the client detects that the address is already in use (e.g., through the use of ARP), the client MUST send a DHCPDECLINE message to the server and restarts the configuration process.

Both ends are supposed to check, but neither is absolutely required to by the spec. Windows Server's default configuration is going against the recommended behavior but is technically still OK. Every other DHCP server I've used (various distributions or embedded vendors versions of ISC DHCPd and dnsmasq) defaults to checking on its end as well rather than relying on the client.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 7, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Spent Sunday evening out with my girlfriend-slash-coworker. Just as we're heading home I get a flurry of text messages and calls:

Manager posted:

We're doing a demonstration/training session in a few hours for overseas clients and something isn't working, please look into it.

After the second text message I figured I'd just ignore it for a while, because I'm not responding while driving and the whole error-on-your-part-is-not-emergency-on-mine.

So, after a 15 minute downtime after I get home I message him:

:what: : Do you know what the problem is?

> :downs: : I'll get in touch, but long story short (thing) isn't working and we're doing a demo in a few hours.

:what: : Okay, I'll look into it.

> :downs: : Also, I'm outside your apartment

:stare: : Are you serious

> :downs: : Look out the window!

:stonk: : :yikes: oh god he is out there :wtf::wtf::wtf:

> :downs: : Need a laptop?

:stonk: : Uh how about I just meet you at the office.

> :downs: : Sure, if you don't need a ride

:stonk: : No thanks I'll take my car.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Zamujasa posted:

> :downs: : Also, I'm outside your apartment

This, this right here is grounds for a trip to HR first thing in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zamujasa posted:

:stonk: : Uh how about I just meet you at the office.

> :downs: : Sure, if you don't need a ride

:stonk: : No thanks I'll take my car.

Wrong wrong wrong, this is when you say, "Like I said, I'll look into it. Have a safe drive back to the office." Then hang the gently caress up.

I'm not kidding. You just sent him a message that 1) This is at all acceptable, and 2) This will get you to pay attention to their issue. If you don't nip this in the bud immediately, it will happen again, and it'll probably also happen to other people.