Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Squidster posted:

Audiences would never, ever, ever watch three copies of the same show. There is literally no way to market and sell that.

And yet here we are today. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What a ballroom brawl from Dusk till Dawn this thread is turning out to be.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh yeah, anyone saying to read the VN is loving crazy, I read that poo poo when I was 16 and when I entertained the idea of doing again, I got past the prologue and saw my afternoon had flown by and was like "NOPE NOT AGAIN."

I read Heaven's Feel at a pace of about one VN day every day which took about an hour's time before sleep. Took me a month overall, I think? This thing is better taken in small doses anyhow, there's only so much good TM content available in English that there's no point in rushing it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squidster posted:

If the show was simply bad, I wouldn't care. It's because it's so close to being good that I'm passionate about it. It has the cool setting, potential for fun characters, certainly the budget, and it really could be something great. It just needs an editor.
It's already been edited down a fair bit, any more and you'd start going into DEEN UBW movie territory. Instead of 24+ episodes you'd get 100 minutes total :shepicide:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

What a ballroom brawl from Dusk till Dawn this thread is turning out to be.

That was a good movie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol, shirou's ideals have never been questioned

the entire goddamn thing is about his ideals being questioned

archer is one of the main characters and his entire existence is questioning shirou's ideals

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rin calls him stupid at multiple points because of his ideals.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

No she calls him stupid because Shirou is stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the entire show is about questioning shirou's ideals

the j-pop opening has the word 'ideal' in the name

im going to have an ulcer

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shiro's gonna have an ulcer too, iykwim.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the entire show is about questioning shirou's ideals

the j-pop opening has the word 'ideal' in the name

im going to have an ulcer

archer literally tried to kill him after they fought about their differing ideals like two episodes ago

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

archer literally tried to kill him after they fought about their differing ideals like two episodes ago
no man, shirou's ideals have never been questioned - someone who acts like they know a lot about writing

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe they're looking for a more substantial challenge than
"Shirou your ideals are stupid"
"No they are not :saddowns:"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't think you get the clearest idea of character motivations from watching the anime so far, but in its defense I'm not sure how much character drama Fate/Zero had going on by episode 9 either. It had more intrigue and more interesting fight scenes, but in terms of character development, I think a lot of the important scenes happened in the second half of the story.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe they're looking for a more substantial challenge than
"Shirou your ideals are stupid"
"No they are not :saddowns:"
This is basically it. None of the rebukes of his superhero ideology come from any kind of reliable source. Rin does not live by her own stated beliefs, and isn't consistent enough to give him a rebuke. She obviously also finds his idiocy admirable, as seen by her tsundere falling for his shonen herodom.

Archer won't really tell Shirou what his own beliefs are, so we get muddled messages from his conflict with Shirou. He clearly doesn't respect him, but also completely fails to kill him for author fiat reasons. We have no idea who the other villains are, or what they believe. Everyone else who's normal... takes advantage of Shirou I guess? Shirou seems perfectly content with that, and the show hasn't shown him under a great deal of stress about it.

And of course, Saber's chivalry is 110% on board with Shirou's beliefs. So far, in-show, his beliefs are the correct way to live your life. It doesn't help that Shirou's worldview is so generically shonen-ish.

I'm comparing the show to Fate Zero a lot, because it's my only other exposure to the Fate universe, but even without that context it wouldn't be a strong show. I'm starting to believe that Stay Night is an insular product built for an extremely niche audience, and that does render it immune to a lot of criticisms. I liked the premise and the world, but if it's built to be indifferent or hostile to a Filthy Casual audience... then that's what it is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zero and UBW are pretty similar, pacing-wise. Slow as balls to start, poo poo hits fan in a big way later. The biggest difference? Shirou is an idiot, but I like him. Rin puts on a big facade, but she's a softy. I like her. Taiga is great. Archer is a dick, but I like him. Saber is...well, Saber. Zero had an unlikable cast with the exception of Iris, Rider and kid Rin. I'll take it a step further: if Rider wasn't in Zero it would have been one of the grimdarkiest romps in a while. UBW keeps the likable parts front and center, Zero pushes them off to the side and lets Kiritsugu be an rear end in a top hat while Saber keeps Saber-ing.

I like both UBW and Zero, but the payoff to UBW is better than the payoff to Zero. Though, I will admit, we will never see

in UBW.:smith:

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I think it will be interesting to see whether once completed, the show has addressed your (perfectly reasonable, imo) criticism to your satisfaction.

It inevitably has to wrap it all up, but in the game I felt the drip fed exploration of Shirou's motivations and personality were satisfying, and I would perhaps feel the same way about the anime that you do if I weren't coming with that existing knowledge.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squidster posted:

This is basically it. None of the rebukes of his superhero ideology come from any kind of reliable source. Rin does not live by her own stated beliefs, and isn't consistent enough to give him a rebuke. She obviously also finds his idiocy admirable, as seen by her tsundere falling for his shonen herodom.
I don't know what to tell you, there just isn't going to be a payoff for a lot of this until towards the end. UBW is going to take its time getting there, develop some of it and other junk here and there, and then finish. Knowing the destination makes it difficult for me to comment without bias, but I will concede that while I might see the hints of things to come to others it might see like it's meandering.

I thought this episode was pretty darn amusing, I like the Rin/Shirou interactions even if they might seem formulaic, and while it's becoming increasingly clear simply forgetting Zero entirely is the better way to go it was a nice bittersweet moment when Taiga talked about Shirou's idealism w/r/t Kiritsugu. This is what you are going to get for a long time in this story with the occasional good fights peppered throughout.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Squidster posted:

Archer won't really tell Shirou what his own beliefs are, so we get muddled messages from his conflict with Shirou. He clearly doesn't respect him, but also completely fails to kill him for author fiat reasons. We have no idea who the other villains are, or what they believe. Everyone else who's normal... takes advantage of Shirou I guess? Shirou seems perfectly content with that, and the show hasn't shown him under a great deal of stress about it.

And of course, Saber's chivalry is 110% on board with Shirou's beliefs. So far, in-show, his beliefs are the correct way to live your life. It doesn't help that Shirou's worldview is so generically shonen-ish.

I'm comparing the show to Fate Zero a lot, because it's my only other exposure to the Fate universe, but even without that context it wouldn't be a strong show. I'm starting to believe that Stay Night is an insular product built for an extremely niche audience, and that does render it immune to a lot of criticisms. I liked the premise and the world, but if it's built to be indifferent or hostile to a Filthy Casual audience... then that's what it is.

You keep trying to push this hugely successful franchise as some niche product, which is a bizarre argument unless you're talking about the context of media in general wherein all anime falls into the niche category barring like, 3 or 4 movies.

As for all that other poo poo, it's the same as Zero, the first half is setup, the 2nd half is payoff. You'll learn what the villains are about, you'll hear what Archer's thoughts are, hell, the one you'll learn the most about is Shirou himself (because Fate Stay Night, and even Fate Zero really, are ultimately about Shirou and how hosed up he is).

Like, by this point in Zero you had absolutely no idea what the two main characters were actually thinking, or indeed what anyone was thinking barring the two dimensional ones like Kayneth or Team Cool, so I don't know why you want everything frontloaded in this show.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Squidster posted:

I'm kind of curious if you've bothered to try and guess who the unnamed servants are (Caster and Archer I think are the relevant ones here? Rider's dead). That's usually the exercise that most people are going through, and it's useful to know the character's back story to understand their motivations. I mean the answer is going to be explicitly stated eventually but it's a good way to get a jump on their goals.

Also, I'm actually curious what you mean by these author fiat reasons. To me it seems like consistent actions of the characters based on their personalities why all the decisions get made. It helps a lot that I know the characters, of course. Mostly though, I'm curious about what seems author fiat or out of place compared to Fate/Zero. In Season 1 there was like two battles that had 5+ servants there and somehow there was a big nothing coming out of the first and in the second the only person to die was Caster (oh and that guy got burned). That also seems really contorted if you don't look at the specific reasons for why everyone got out alive.

EDIT: Oh sorry I forgot, there was the conflict in the woods where mostly no one died but that guy had a mana bullet shot through him. Comparing to this, that about corresponds to Rider being taken out of the game right now.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't get why people say Zero is ever slow. The first episode I guess, since it's mostly exposition, but after that poo poo starts happening and never really stops. Compared to this which is quite dull aside from the fight scenes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I don't get why people say Zero is ever slow. The first episode I guess, since it's mostly exposition, but after that poo poo starts happening and never really stops. Compared to this which is quite dull aside from the fight scenes.
Personally, I considered it slow, or at least dull, because Kiritsugu was a complete cypher for 90% of the show and the payoff wasn't really worth it IMO. Even if you think Shirou's bland, you at least get where he's coming from and what his goals are. That makes it a lot easier for me to care.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Genocyber posted:

Zero has a lot happening but does not have a lot of actual plot progression. It doesn't "feel" slow to people because it jumps from Servant team to Servant team so there's a reasonable amount of things to distract. FSN as a whole does not introduce all the Servants right away and also does not focus on certain groups as much due to the very nature of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

Personally, I considered it slow, or at least dull, because Kiritsugu was a complete cypher for 90% of the show and the payoff wasn't really worth it IMO. Even if you think Shirou's bland, you at least get where he's coming from and what his goals are. That makes it a lot easier for me to care.

Even if you dislike Kiritsugu there's all the other characters doing their poo poo, whereas this just has Shirou as the focus so far, so it's all on him and his interactions to make things interesting.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first part of Fate/Zero is slow up until the King's Banquet. That is where three central characters to Fate/Zero begin their relationship and their ideals and feelings effectively kickstart the story actually starting. Everything prior to that is those messing around or other servants showing up, attacking someone, and leaving. The motivations of Kiritsugu don't matter because he is a complete nonentity until the second half of the story, same for Kirei, and Waver is the only character with a third dimension by that point in the story while the remaining ones are all two-dimensional and just show up to fight. A good portion of characters don't start their character arcs and development until Caster is dead since Team Cool is such an overpowering force in the story.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Yosuke posted:

Zero has a lot happening but does not have a lot of actual plot progression. It doesn't "feel" slow to people because it jumps from Servant team to Servant team so there's a reasonable amount of things to distract. FSN as a whole does not introduce all the Servants right away and also does not focus on certain groups as much due to the very nature of it.
Yeah, I feel one reason that more of the old fans are satisfied than some of the new readers is a difference in narrative structure. More specifically, in Fate/Zero you follow most of the teams and know what they're doing. In Fate/Stay Night, you mostly only follow Shirou's perspective, but the other teams are still doing things that you eventually piece together (one of the most infamous examples is a fight between Berserker and Caster Team that's only talked about and never shown in any of the routes where it happens). I personally like this second version quite a bit because muddling through a single perspective is something that feels more real than omniscient perspective, but I can certainly see how the pacing gets axed because of it.

EDIT: ^^^ See, I'm not sure if the people who prefer Fate/Zero to this are seeing something I don't, or if they don't remember the story set pieces that took place at equivalent points in the narrative.

Just to get an idea, last episode is where Kayneth gets shot by magic bullet (lines up with Rider's death hilariously well), and then had a whole lot of Diurmad drama along with the dramatic moment of Team Rider finding Team Serial Killer's workshop. Next episode is Rin's Big Adventure, followed by the council between Kings thing.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 8, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I did warn people in the Zero thread not to expect a Zero like show of mastermind masters, but more along the lines of Waver and Casters master just stumbling into situations, and every now and than showing some intelligence. it could be said that it is simply that the fate stay night is older material compared to fate zero, but that majority of the masters this time around are naive kids compared to zero where they where hardened adults.

But yes things will start to pick up fighting wise with Riders death, her death was almost a catalyst that they should really start taking the grail war seriously, both for Rin and Shirou

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you remove the fights from Fate Zero, what exactly do you have?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A succession of buddy-cop comedies where they don't actually kill the guy with diplomatic immunity.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Fangz posted:

e: nevermind

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fangz posted:

Two baby men trying to prove who is the biggest baby man.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't know why people think Zero was the better show. Aside from ufotable doing their thing the story and characters mostly hadn't had a lot going for them.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Fangz posted:

A guy learning how stupid his pragmatist ideal is and another guy learning that he gets a huge stiffy from other people's misery.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

e: nothing here either

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 8, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Fangz posted:

Killer gunman Batman versus a repressed kung fu wizard priest Joker.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

If you remove the fights from any of these shows what do you have?

A reductio ad absurdum.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

CuLT posted:

If you remove the fights from any of these shows what do you have?

A reductio ad absurdum.

UBW becomes a SoL cooking show.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Archer doesn't kill Shirou is already well explained by Saber, Archer is "pure of heart" and that's why his blow didn't finish Shirou off right then. Much the same way Rin was subconsciously holding back when she was attacking Shirou (further highlighting how well suited those two are).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

KaneTW posted:

UBW becomes a SoL cooking show.

Sounds awesome.

QED.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Fangz posted:

A blown up hotel.

• Locked thread