Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm building a new PC this week. What do I need to know so that I don't destroy hardware and have it put together right off the bat?

ground yourself so you don't fry anything and thats about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Don't use retard strength when setting your CPU and memory. Maybe get better thermal paste, if you're feeling froggy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

tuluk posted:

ground yourself so you don't fry anything and thats about it.

bengy81 posted:

Don't use retard strength when setting your CPU and memory. Maybe get better thermal paste, if you're feeling froggy.

Ya I know about grounding from installing video cards and whatnot. I went with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler for overclocking purposes. It comes with some decent thermal paste to begin with.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
read the motherboard manual, don't manhandle parts if they don't fit like you do with women, etc. if it doesn't POST up after assembly, PC speaker and error code beeps are your friend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Christoff posted:

Wait what

Also -

Command & Conquer The Ultimate Collection (PC Digital Download) $6 - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/138822

it's a complete loving pain and the dick to get some of the games working properly in windows 8

i played through all of the RTS games this year and tiberian sun almost ruined the idea

still totally worth a pickup though. i don't think Generals is available legitimately in a digital version anywhere else

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Ya I know about grounding from installing video cards and whatnot. I went with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler for overclocking purposes. It comes with some decent thermal paste to begin with.

if you can handle a video card you can handle the rest of the build. just don't forget the cpu power as I think we had someone that forgot that a while ago

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Connect everything before you put it in the case (I set the motherboard on top of the box it came in) to see if it boots. You'll have to short the power button switch but I did it with a small screwdriver. It's a good way to make sure everything works before you take all that time installing it in your case.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool. I've been watching build videos to get an idea. Seems pretty simple. I bought a new i5-4690K, ASROCK mATX board, a Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 mATX mini tower, Corsair RM650 PSU, and am gonna use all the storage/ram from my old PC. I'm anticipating it'll run a little warmer compared to other builds, which is fine. I'd rather have a nearly silent system.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

Cool. I've been watching build videos to get an idea. Seems pretty simple. I bought a new i5-4690K, ASROCK mATX board, a Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 mATX mini tower, Corsair RM650 PSU, and am gonna use all the storage/ram from my old PC.

Its fairly simple nowadays tbh, you should be fine! :)

I hope you're at least using an SSD on your build though!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

justice4trayvawn posted:

C'mon Mokey it's me dude. I have two SSD's-one as OS/software, a smaller one for Steam games, and two HDD's for storage.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

justice4trayvawn posted:

I want to remind everyone that I was able to build my current gaming computer two years ago, all while recovering from a dislocated shoulder.

Most of the time I wipe my mouth instead of wiping my rear end.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
gently caress stop reminding me it's time for me to upgrade, I built my current desktop in 2009.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

gently caress stop reminding me it's time for me to upgrade, I built my current desktop in 2009.

poo poo I've been using this Alienware since 2011. It's loud as gently caress, ugly, and I'm concerned the PSU is gonna poo poo the bed in the next year. I'm not expecting any huge performance gain jumping from Sandy Bridge to Haswell either really.

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

C'mon Mokey it's me dude. I have two SSD's-one as OS/software, a smaller one for Steam games, and two HDD's for storage.

Sorry mate shoulda known better

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

it's a complete loving pain and the dick to get some of the games working properly in windows 8

i played through all of the RTS games this year and tiberian sun almost ruined the idea

still totally worth a pickup though. i don't think Generals is available legitimately in a digital version anywhere else

I'm really hoping this isn't also true of Windows 7. Because goddamn am I looking forward to playing these games again. The original C&C is still a great game.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Two Finger posted:

I'm really hoping this isn't also true of Windows 7. Because goddamn am I looking forward to playing these games again. The original C&C is still a great game.

it is at least not true of windows 8.1 as all of the c&c games ran totally fine for me

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Two Finger posted:

windows 10 is supposed to be good, similar to the leap from vista to 7.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Windows 8.1 pretty much got rid of all the complaints I had about 8 but I messed around with the dev build of 10 and yeah it's going to be a good OS.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Huh. Maybe I'll finally ditch Windows 7.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

it is at least not true of windows 8.1 as all of the c&c games ran totally fine for me

calling bullshit on tiberian sun that one's a whore

also i tried to run everything in high res for my monitor so i'm sure that's where most of the problems came from

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It sucks you have to install 3rd party software (and pay like $3) but with startisback 8.1 is perfectly fine. I can see the complaints with 8 but idk what the fuss is about 8.1

Still have no idea what the point of the metro bullshit was. Yeah sure on a tablet or phone

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Sure not having a start button sucks for like 5 seconds because you have no idea what to do

Then you realize all you have to do is hit the windows key and start typing in what you want to run and it pops up. It's so much easier. I have 8.1 and I never use the start button. That poo poo is so last millennium.

also learn and love the windows key + x key shortcut

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

c&c still loving owns
pity i'm up to the hard as balls commando mission for gdi but oh well the rest of the game is awesome

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686060

lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I couldn't resist.

e: oh goddamnit. I think I've been trolled.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

at the date posted:

I couldn't resist.

e: oh goddamnit. I think I've been trolled.

Nah the fact they even know about that poo poo is pretty bad.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i almost want to make another games=art? thread

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Saints Row IV is loving awesome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What do you guys use for cooling? Air or liquid?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

r22

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Christoff, clear our your PMs you goddamn dingleberry.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just did maybe they should raise the limit above 10

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
One of my favourite examples of ludonarrative dissonance occurs in Mayumi's storyline in the visual novel Imouto wa Loli no Neko Secret.

:3:

Mayumi, as you can see from the lovely picture above, is depicted in the game as a very moe and innocent character. However, near the end of the game there are some plot points that need to be wrapped up (being vague so I won't spoil the game), and the whole thing culminates with Mayumi being very sexually aggressive towards you. I hated that. It totally ruined my image of Mayumi and it seemed like such an easy copout for the writers. :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
For you dudes in college, you might be eligible to get Windows 8.1 for free. I'm downloading a copy now. poo poo is legit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

One of my favourite examples of ludonarrative dissonance occurs in Mayumi's storyline in the visual novel Imouto wa Loli no Neko Secret.

:3:

Mayumi, as you can see from the lovely picture above, is depicted in the game as a very moe and innocent character. However, near the end of the game there are some plot points that need to be wrapped up (being vague so I won't spoil the game), and the whole thing culminates with Mayumi being very sexually aggressive towards you. I hated that. It totally ruined my image of Mayumi and it seemed like such an easy copout for the writers. :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

even if that's fake it's still terrible

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is that a real genre of games? Like super young cartoon girls in weird sexually suggestive situations? I must live in a cave or something because I've been playing games since the 80s and didn't know that poo poo was real.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hekk posted:

Is that a real genre of games? Like super young cartoon girls in weird sexually suggestive situations? I must live in a cave or something because I've been playing games since the 80s and didn't know that poo poo was real.

Yes. It's very real.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hekk posted:

The lack of such games coming out of Seattle is probably why Xbox keeps failing in Japan.

What do you guys use for cooling? Air or liquid?

Most people use air because it's cheaper and very few folks actually get any benefit from liquid cooling...they're not running hot enough to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014
Yeah, you can get plenty of CPU OC with just a 20-30 dollar aftermarket CPU cooler

Liquid cooling is more of a ~hobbyist~ thing imo

• Locked thread