Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Doggboat posted:

I hope they take a "best of" of the SF2 cast instead of all of them. I could live without Fei Long and Vega.

And if someone should return from the 3s cast, it's Oro. :colbert:

Uhhh. A completely standard character and a completely standard character?

The only character from SF2 that could even be considered for dropping is DeeJay. Everyone else has too much of a following.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
They could definitely drop T. Hawk.

This is the core cast, everyone else is disposable:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Joe Man posted:

They could definitely drop T. Hawk.

This is the core cast, everyone else is disposable:

fixed for you

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

fixed for you

I concur.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

we are now rolentbros

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

fixed for you

Still not accurate until you throw in a Cammy of some kind.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
A lot of the 3S cast was "controversial" but that's mostly because they replaced iconic SF characters. Having Alex/Q/Urien in SFV along with the world warrior cast would be a nerdgasm for literally everyone

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

why do they have the box art done already

That is not the box art.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

That is not the box art.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/06/street-fighter-v-console-exclusive-to-ps4-first-gameplay-video/

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That is not the box art.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
The logo keeps making me think of

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I guess Capcom already has the promotional materials done so they can have something on the walls at Capcom Cup. From there it's just an issue of scaling it down and putting it on the box.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a mockup for online retailers. It will probably change before release.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
KoF98UMFE, KoF02UMFE, Blazblue, Yatagarasu, DOA5-FR, Tekken 7 & SF5. Exciting time for fighting mustards right now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno, Sony changed the Bloodborne box art into basically the same sort of thing that the SF5 box art there is. It'd pass.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Ryus animations are nothing like SF4 or SFxT. All of his normals are completely different.

You're all super big idiots for not discussing this more! I think the animations look cool but they've got so much wind-up to them before they hit that I wonder how they're gonna keep that look without making start-up on the moves way too long for an SF game.

edit: Please God let this happen

Trykt fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 7, 2014

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I'm assuming the promotional video is mostly horseshit and the finished product will be tuned in some entirely different way than indicated

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Trykt posted:

You're all super big idiots for not discussing this more! I think the animations look cool but they've got so much wind-up to them before they hit that I wonder how they're gonna keep that look without making start-up on the moves way too long for an SF game.

what the gently caress are those feet

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Trykt posted:

Which moves do you think have too much wind-up? To me it looks like his ground moves have relatively normal startup but his hard punches/DPs have an asston of hitstop where everything is slowed down to show him following through on the punch while his headband waves around, gi flaps in the breeze, etcetera. Hard to tell anything for sure from a video like this though. Hopefully the floodgates open next weekend.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I just want Q back dude.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mio Bison posted:

Which moves do you think have too much wind-up? To me it looks like his ground moves have relatively normal startup but his hard punches/DPs have an asston of hitstop where everything is slowed down to show him following through on the punch while his headband waves around, gi flaps in the breeze, etcetera. Hard to tell anything for sure from a video like this though. Hopefully the floodgates open next weekend.

I strongly suspect that a lot of the 'hitstop' effect is just editing because it's a trailer and they want to show off the nice graphics. That and they said the goal with SFV is to drag back all the players who haven't touched the series in awhile. If that's the case, it makes no sense to slow the game down even more.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Sade posted:

I strongly suspect that a lot of the 'hitstop' effect is just editing because it's a trailer and they want to show off the nice graphics. That and they said the goal with SFV is to drag back all the players who haven't touched the series in awhile. If that's the case, it makes no sense to slow the game down even more.

I'm confident "all the players who haven't touched the series in a while" probably means people who bought SF4 and played it casually for 5 hours rather than people who don't play SF4 because of issues with system mechanics.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ono said he wants to bring back ST people tho.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ZerodotJander posted:

I'm confident "all the players who haven't touched the series in a while" probably means people who bought SF4 and played it casually for 5 hours rather than people who don't play SF4 because of issues with system mechanics.

This. People who didn't like the sf4 mechanics probably still bought the drat thing, so Capcom got thier moneys worth. Wouldn't Q be totally hosed over if he was in this game anyway unless there were huge changes to him since taunts don't function the same and he was total rear end in 3s?

It would be cool to see him, but it's not as easy a transition like Alex or even Urien to a proper SF system where projectiles are a thing to actually worry about. Though even those characters won't be an "easy" transition.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Beef Waifu posted:

Ono said he wants to bring back ST people tho.

He said the same thing about SF4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

as long as ibuki is in it who cares

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Trykt posted:

drat that Ryu design is loving awesome.

You know what? They should make redesigns of old characters the defaults and have their classic costumes as alternates.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Spermgod posted:

He said the same thing about SF4

I didn't say he would succeed, just that's where he's focused, apparently.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say if you're the kind of person who doesn't like anything after ST or Hyper Fighting that you're probably not going to like SF5

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

drat that Ryu design is loving awesome.

You know what? They should make redesigns of old characters the defaults and have their classic costumes as alternates.

That's a pretty loving awesome idea.

Which is why it would never happen.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
That hitstop poo poo needs to go man. It's got to goooow...

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Sade posted:

That and they said the goal with SFV is to drag back all the players who haven't touched the series in awhile. If that's the case, it makes no sense to slow the game down even more.
He even pointed out, that they aim to bring people back who liked the early SF4 days better. And what's different between old SF4 and USF4? I would say combo length. Especially Oni/E-Ryu and red focus are to blame.
That's what I take from it and maybe we will see in a week if that's right.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The hitstop is a little excessive yeah, but it beats the original pre-Seth Killian build of SF4 that had no hitstop at all and 3D hitboxes. Without Seth, SF4 would have looked and felt as janky as MK9 or Injustice. Dimps also made the janky as gently caress Sonic 4.

AndyElusive posted:

That's a pretty loving awesome idea.

Which is why it would never happen.

I also think Sean and Sakura should be the new main characters. Ryu and Ken would still be in the game because they have to be, but wouldn't get top billing. (This will also never happen)

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
As a filthy casual I'm interested in seeing if they can come up with anything fun outside of the real game.

- Better in-game feedback in training mode / trials / whatever that points out what I'm doing wrong in execution. Combine this with some in game training drills like learning whether to anti-air or block a jump in.
- Team mode where we fight 3 battles at once with shared health and meter so I can deflect my overall bad play onto someone else making a big mistake.
- Most importantly, built-in Salty Bet. In-game currency can be used in lieu of money to buy costumes and accessories. You get some amount for playing the other modes in order to get out of the salt mines.

The team one sounds kinda jank but I think the other two would increase the appeal to casuals a lot.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

pokecapn posted:

As a filthy casual I'm interested in seeing if they can come up with anything fun outside of the real game.

- Better in-game feedback in training mode / trials / whatever that points out what I'm doing wrong in execution. Combine this with some in game training drills like learning whether to anti-air or block a jump in.
- Team mode where we fight 3 battles at once with shared health and meter so I can deflect my overall bad play onto someone else making a big mistake.
- Most importantly, built-in Salty Bet. In-game currency can be used in lieu of money to buy costumes and accessories. You get some amount for playing the other modes in order to get out of the salt mines.

The team one sounds kinda jank but I think the other two would increase the appeal to casuals a lot.

Hi I know this is unrelated but I hope you're doing a Sonic Boom LP sometime soon

e: Well considering the name of the game I guess this is tangentially related

apple fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 8, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Has anyone mentioned that for another notch in the SF series this one looks awful? Each SF has had a radically different look and so far this is just SFIV with a new lighting engine.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Has anyone mentioned that for another notch in the SF series this one looks awful? Each SF has had a radically different look and so far this is just SFIV with a new lighting engine.

Look again at the character models and the level of detail in the backgrounds. No one's going to tell you that it's the best looking game of the generation, but it's a marked improvement.

I think most of the whinging about the visuals comes from people who played SF4 for two hours in 2009 and don't really remember what it looks like. I still play SF4 a few times a week and I don't mind telling you that it's really showing its age.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
i've always hated SF4's art direction from day 1 with their goofy rear end faces and oversaturated colors everywhere, so SF5 already looks like a huge improvement to me, and i'm just letting the fact that it's in super alpha stages right now keep me from saying much more

SF4's music is also terrible

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you don't like the exaggerated expressions on the SF4 characters then I don't know what to tell you.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
The game being colorful and the characters being expressive was the one good thing about SF4's art. SF5 look like it has all of the bad with none of the good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
i mean the dislocated jaws and eyeballs poppin' out during ultras and poo poo are definitely funny and all, but i just don't like the overall aesthetic of the game

and the progressively stupider costumes weren't helping...

SF3's art/music was so drat cool

this is coming from someone who only plays SF4 seriously

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

The game being colorful and the characters being expressive was the one good thing about SF4's art. SF5 look like it has all of the bad with none of the good.

i can feel you on this in terms of how grimy and dark it looks right now, definitely don't want it lookin like every other generic game, but i still prefer this over SF4

i know they were tryin to bring back that SF2 vibe, but i don't think it translated too well into 3D

okay i'm done

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread