Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Marc Mero was half black?

According to Stormfront, or at least their high representation on mma.tv, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Anyone rooting for Punk to lose is going to have a while to wait, because he's going to be matched up with 0-0 scrubs by a promotion that has every incentive to see him win. Unlike most 0-0 guys Punk has the time and money to train full time with a full range of top-flight coaches, which means that even given the handicaps of age, pro-wrestling-induced wear-and-tear, and (presumably) lack of PEDs, he's going to have an enormous advantage over the first (at bare minimum) two or three opponents he faces, and that's going to take us through the first year or two of his fight career.

He's never going to be a champion or even (probably) in the top 30 of whatever division he's in, but he'll pop some buyrates beating up scrubs, fight one or two bad-but-recognizable-names, and then retire with a fatter wallet and quite possibly a commentary or Fox analysis job.

In a few years UFC shows will be called by CM Punk and Chael Sonnen.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

thats a commentary team i could get behind

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't know who they're going to match up with Punk for his first fight. They have to put someone else inexperienced in front of him, but I can't see that type of match being part of a PPV.

It's one thing if they would of stuck him in a season of TUF but I just can't figure out how this will work.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triple Helix posted:

They have to put someone else inexperienced in front of him, but I can't see that type of match being part of a PPV.

Why not?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Triple Helix posted:

I don't know who they're going to match up with Punk for his first fight. They have to put someone else inexperienced in front of him, but I can't see that type of match being part of a PPV.

I can't see why they can't just bring in any nobody off the street they want who can pass the commission. People will pay to see Punk fight, it really doesn't matter who the opponent is as long as they lose.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

CM Punk will do okay and Yurity will cry.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

MassRafTer posted:

In a few years UFC shows will be called by CM Punk and Chael Sonnen.

I have no issues with that. Chael was decent on the B-show he did with JR, and Punk did guest commentary in WWE better than drat near anyone in the past 20 years.

Triple Helix posted:

It's one thing if they would of stuck him in a season of TUF but I just can't figure out how this will work.

Why wouldn't it be part of a PPV? It'd easily be the first fight on the card, and you'd have to have a decent main/semi-main to go with, but I don't see the problem. Punk is going to draw tons of money, you can guarantee that.

I mean, I guess you could put him on a Fox card, and have it do record numbers for UFC there, but that just seems like a waste. He only fights for the first time once, and that's where Dana and Lorenzo see money, and frankly why he's signed to UFC and not fighting in some podunk MMA promotion in Arkansas.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

daniel cormier fought a barista on a pay per view card.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

gently caress it, bring in Askren for Punk to fight. Or realistically, let Bisping dome him and we get a Joe Rogan replacement.

I love Punk but he really should be thrown to the wolves because thats the best money decision. Unless he gets magically good in several months of training, UFC can only bank on 1 or 2 fights before he's no longer a draw.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Cart Mountain posted:

daniel cormier fought a barista on a pay per view card.

A barista who was an accomplished division 1 wrestler and had a few fights.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

coconono posted:

I love Punk but he really should be thrown to the wolves because thats the best money decision. Unless he gets magically good in several months of training, UFC can only bank on 1 or 2 fights before he's no longer a draw.

3 fights seems about right to find out if he's got the talent/skills to actually compete. Throw him 1-2 cans, and then someone with a name who is semi-good/experienced to see if he can actually compete. That gets a bunch of buys from WWE fans to see him beat people up, and then gets a bunch of buys from MMA fans who want to see him get killed. After that, if he's no good, put him on the undercard or Fox cards until he retires, or move him into commentary/analyst for Fox.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

I guess it just seems really strange to put a total no name up against him and have it be a part of PPV. At least with Lesnar he had the collegiate wrestling background and had a fight in Japan.

It feels like there's a lot of filler fights recently and I'm not excited to have to sit through Punk vs no name local can as part of a paid card.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Triple Helix posted:

I guess it just seems really strange to put a total no name up against him and have it be a part of PPV. At least with Lesnar he had the collegiate wrestling background and had a fight in Japan.

It feels like there's a lot of filler fights recently and I'm not excited to have to sit through Punk vs no name local can as part of a paid card.

I regularly see people I've never heard of on ppv cards.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Dangersim posted:

Marc Mero was half black?

He's pretty as a picture. He looks like Little Richard.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Theres absolutely no reason from a business perspective for the ufc not to put him on a paid card other than them having decided they don't like money.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Literally last night Todd Duffee fought a guy I don't think is real on ppv.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

cm punk beat ryback in hell in a cell so i don't see why he can't beat some vanilla midgets in the octagon

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

coconono posted:

I love Punk but he really should be thrown to the wolves because thats the best money decision.

You aren't very smart.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triple Helix posted:

I guess it just seems really strange to put a total no name up against him and have it be a part of PPV.

There are no-names fighting on the undercard of literally every ppv. In all likelihood Punk's first couple matches are going to be on the televised prelims.

quote:

You are probably in a minority in that respect.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i'm excited to see what other freakshows we get in the wake of ufc's lovely business

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

i'm excited to see what other freakshows we get in the wake of ufc's lovely business

Manhoef vs Shields for 2015

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

fedor vs the colossus make it happen joe silva

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wait did I read Anderson Silva has more fights ahead of him??? :stare: After what happened to his leg??? Is he even in fighting shape? I don't even..... :psypop:

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

fatherdog posted:

There are no-names fighting on the undercard of literally every ppv. In all likelihood Punk's first couple matches are going to be on the televised prelims.

His first fight is going to be a big enough novelty that they're going to want it on PPV. After that, who knows.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Jiro posted:

Wait did I read Anderson Silva has more fights ahead of him??? :stare: After what happened to his leg??? Is he even in fighting shape? I don't even..... :psypop:

Bones actually heal quickly and well.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

cm punk will be fighting cans. unfortunately, his opponents will be fighting a can not am i rite fellas

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

best of luck to Punk and hope he doesn't get brain injured and also he comes out to the eerie sephiroth theme.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't think it's likely, but I hope deep in my heart that Punk is really really good at MMA, like he instantly kills everyone and starts a ten year reign of terror where he never loses

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dangersim posted:

Bones actually heal quickly and well.

Depends on the break. That thing was pretty much Joe Theismann levels of ugly, and those can manage to never heal quite right.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

You are probably in a minority in that respect.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it's part of the televised prelims. I guess I'm surprised there's enough draw for a guy who's never fought before.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Triple Helix posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if it's part of the televised prelims. I guess I'm surprised there's enough draw for a guy who's never fought before.

cm punk is a popular guy, you may have heard of him before

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Meat Recital posted:

His first fight is going to be a big enough novelty that they're going to want it on PPV. After that, who knows.

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Jiro posted:

he has a titanium rod in his bone like Lex Luger and last night they played a promo that revealed he has gained the power to murder teenagers in their dreams, so yes. he back.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Punk should fight the blond kid in this thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzSAO8op0ow

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

If his first fight isn't on PPV or Fox I will be beyond shocked. You don't pay a guy what they'd have to pay him and put it on the prelims.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fatherdog posted:

While I think this is the most "reasonable" course of action, I would not be surprised in the least if they put Punk in the first match of the actual PPV because Punk WILL get them more buys.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

There's literally no reason NOT to put him on a PPV for his first fight. He only has one first fight and that could be the biggest draw of his MMA career if he doesn't do well. Putting him on FS1 for free on an undercard doesn't make any sense at all when he has more twitter followers than anyone employed by UFC excluding Dana White and Anderson Silva.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

coconono posted:

Or you could you know build him up a bit by letting him beat on whatever the hell a Andy Enz or a Bubba Bush are and then get him a "big" fight after he has gotten some hair on his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Viper_3000 posted:

There's literally no reason NOT to put him on a PPV for his first fight. He only has one first fight and that could be the biggest draw of his MMA career if he doesn't do well.

Spoiler: He's going to do well against whatever tomato can they line up for him

quote:

Putting him on FS1 for free on an undercard doesn't make any sense at all

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

• Locked thread