Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Bubba Bush

Do you have any heroes?
Jesus Christ, Jang Ming-Chul, Ron Paul

What was your job before you started fighting?
I managed a Vitamin World and sold supplements. Before that I managed a tax office, and was a hot-shot trucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
That's the type of guy he's going to fight, a man with a regional brown belt in BJJ as his greatest accomplishment, and a former manager of a vitamin store.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Didn't punk say his first fight would be on ppv in the helwan interview?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Spoiler: He's going to do well against whatever tomato can they line up for him

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

This is very true and while any other month ppv would work, this ppv is lining up with WRESTLEMANIA there's no way in hell Dana White wouldn't use that to just make a big "gently caress you" to Vince and for Punk a giant foam middle finger to Hunter. The first time you're gonna see Punk fight is the UFC ppv right before or right after Wrestlemania.

Also good for Silva going all bionic like he needed another thing in his arsenal to be "meh" about.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

while I agree, CM Punk easily could have built guaranteed PPV fights in his contract if he wanted them. Gilbert and Eddie got them and while they had leverage over UFC, Punk had to have some of his own in negotiations.

I don't think they sign Punk unless they have a specific plan on how to handle him and went over it with him. If a free TV prelim fight is part of that then it's because they plan on doing something really big with Punk later on.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

fatherdog posted:

Sure, I get that. But putting a guy who's first fight going to draw a ton of PPV buys from WWE fans on the main card is a no brainer. Why would you waste that on free TV with fans who are just going to tune out when you can pop a PPV buyrate?

Plus he basically stated in the Helwani interview that his debut will be on PPV.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The idea is that they won't tune out and will instead go to a bar/order the pay per view. Then after he beats Guilherme Vasconcelos or whoever the gently caress there's an incentive for people to buy the next PPV that he'll be on as well.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I've been hyped for that Green Ranger vs. CM Punk fight ever since they teased a charity bout when Punk ran away with the title. If Jason David Frank could make 185 (get off the gear for 6-8 months while Punk gets a Cadillac training camp) they will have significant buyrate from the Spencer's Gifts/Hot Topic customer base alone.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'm guessing his first fight is on the main card though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

That's Urijah's job. He's popular and he also puts on rad fights.

I think CM Punk would probably double a PPV buy rate his first time out (unless it was already a huge Silva card or something of course): both for name recognition and the freak show aspect.

It would be a bad move for the UFC to squander people's interest and the freak show aspect of it all by putting him in free prelims. I know they said he'd do what any other fighter would do with his record but if that were actually true he wouldn't even make it to TUF tryouts and new fighters added to the roster don't get their own segment of the post fight presser and an interview in the middle of a big PPV.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Why would they give away CM Punk's first fight for free? Casual wrestling fans are going to want to see it, and if he gets lit up and dies no one will want to pay for fight #2

I guess they might put it on TV if they want to make Fox super happy or something, I don't know how important PPV is to UFC's business these days.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
My friend and I would go half-half on a ppv for the first time in a long time if he fights the green ranger, so that's just good business there. Once in a lifetime win-win opportunity, time to birth UFC's first huge crossover superstar. Can you say lunchboxes Dana? Don't drop the ball in this one fellas.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

No they don't. If the card is top loaded enough the prelims just end up with trash. They have also never put a freakshow on the prelims. If they have a pretty loaded card they will, but signing a WWE star to put him on FS1 instead of the actual PPV is just nuts. If people see the biggest star on the undercard they just won't tune in to the PPV. Glory had a ton of people watching CroCop on their prelims and then literally no one bought the PPV.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Seriously if you want to maximise the casual fans you're going to get from Punk you have to put him behind the pay wall and get people to pay to see him. They aren't going to convince people to pony up money for the PPV once you've given for free what the fans he would bring in want to see.

Second or third fight for free, sure, but you only have one debut fight and worst case thats all they get out of him.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Bones actually heal quickly and well.

there's breaking a bone and then there's snapping a bone clean in half. i'll be surprised if he's anywhere near the fighter he was

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
Punk will be the first fight on a PVP card so that the newbies tuning in wont notice that the standard of the fight is utter garbage.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Jiro posted:

This is very true and while any other month ppv would work, this ppv is lining up with WRESTLEMANIA there's no way in hell Dana White wouldn't use that to just make a big "gently caress you" to Vince and for Punk a giant foam middle finger to Hunter.

A) No it isn't, that was reported by the same guy who said Punk was fighting GSP. It's a joke.

B) Dana and Vince are on good terms and talk regularly. Dana doesn't need or want to do things as a "gently caress you" to Vince.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Somewhere, Jeff Jarrett, MMA Enthusiast is staring at his phone and willing it to ring.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Why would they give away CM Punk's first fight for free? Casual wrestling fans are going to want to see it, and if he gets lit up and dies no one will want to pay for fight #2

I guess they might put it on TV if they want to make Fox super happy or something, I don't know how important PPV is to UFC's business these days.

high rated lead-ins translate directly to higher ppv buys for the ufc.

its not really comparable with glory because it was glory's first and only ppv, so there's no baseline to compare to.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I don't think comparing Glory to the UFC is a fair comparison, like at all, on any level, ever

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Arguably you don't even put Punks debut in the opening fight on the pay card. He's a special attraction, so you have to assume that x number of the fans who pay to watch him will space out after his fight. So while it would piss off some of the other fighters, sticking him higher up the card gets more eyes on those fighters and you can try to win over some more viewers to the product by making them watch other fights first, maybe get invested in them. Place him on a card with a fight the hardcores want to see, maybe even use him as a prop up for a low drawing champion and push the buyrate up.

You have a guy with name value and nothing else you have to make every effort to cash in on that. Sticking him on a prelim is just throwing away money.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
james toney did nothing for buy rate and the ufc paid him a pile of money. who knows what the contract they have with punk is, and what their plan is. it seems silly to speculate at this point

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david carmichael posted:

high rated lead-ins translate directly to higher ppv buys for the ufc.

its not really comparable with glory because it was glory's first and only ppv, so there's no baseline to compare to.

This isn't true at all, there's almost no correlation between prelim ratings and PPV buys. They did huge prelim numbers for shows like Coleman/Couture and then the actual PPV did poorly. Sometimes the major shows do big prelim numbers, sometimes they don't. There was a closer correlation between prelim ratings and Superbowl Saturday than with PPV buys.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

All I know is that I can't wait to see how sad of a can they hunt down for Punk's first fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Cardboard Box posted:

there's breaking a bone and then there's snapping a bone clean in half. i'll be surprised if he's anywhere near the fighter he was

It's healed. It may gently caress with him mentally but I struggle to think what it would do physically.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CM Punk has brought Valeyard into an MMA discussion thread

This is the kind of terrible poo poo that happens with things crossover

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mr. Carlisle posted:

CM Punk has brought Valeyard into an MMA discussion thread

This is the kind of terrible poo poo that happens with things crossover

idk know man, one time the flintstones and the jetsons crossed over and it was p sweet

fred couldnt figure out which buttons to press lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best crossover is the johnny bravo/scooby doo one

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fatherdog posted:

A) No it isn't, that was reported by the same guy who said Punk was fighting GSP. It's a joke.

B) Dana and Vince are on good terms and talk regularly. Dana doesn't need or want to do things as a "gently caress you" to Vince.

Why must you ground and pound my dreams like Lesnar would in his prime MMA career?

Roy Gato III
Jun 2, 2013

Great White Hope posted:

All I know is that I can't wait to see how sad of a can they hunt down for Punk's first fight.

He will probably fight a can with no ground game and pillow fists, also known as Michael Bisping.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Roy Gato III posted:

He will probably fight a can with no ground game and pillow fists, also known as Michael Bisping.

Michael Bisping is good and would beat cm punk horrifically.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Michael Bisping is good

Nope

quote:

and would beat cm punk horrifically.

Yep

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

He is on the downswing but he was good for most of his career.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Whether CM Punk gets his rear end kicked or kicks rear end, we can all honestly say that he had the balls to get in the octagon and fight. It is clear now that he has been wanting to do this for some time and he finally is. Punk goes after what he wants and that is why I will always back him 100%. Always have and always will. I would say good luck to him, but we all know who luck is for

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Unless it's scripted (like wrestling, HAW!) I'd think whoever is put against Punk if is an existing fighter, I mean like someone on a downswing in career, will have something to prove and go really aggressive on him.

Like how Wrestling politics used to have it that if you got your rear end kicked and didn't prove you were tough, they'd job you out. I wonder if the UFC has something similar of a mindset to see him as a wannabe and will use it to prove a point.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
He's going to start with the ultimate nobody possible, like so much of a nobody that he doesn't have a picture or bio on the UFC website.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
They'll give him embarrassingly easy fights against people they sign just to fight him and its 50/50 if he wins but the point is to make you buy ppvs, not to expose him.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Gatts posted:

Unless it's scripted (like wrestling, HAW!) I'd think whoever is put against Punk if is an existing fighter, I mean like someone on a downswing in career, will have something to prove and go really aggressive on him.

Like how Wrestling politics used to have it that if you got your rear end kicked and didn't prove you were tough, they'd job you out. I wonder if the UFC has something similar of a mindset to see him as a wannabe and will use it to prove a point.

The UFC doesn't give a poo poo about wannabes. They care about money, something that Punk will make them a lot of.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oknope posted:

Whether CM Punk gets his rear end kicked or kicks rear end, we can all honestly say that he had the balls to get in the octagon and fight. It is clear now that he has been wanting to do this for some time and he finally is. Punk goes after what he wants and that is why I will always back him 100%. Always have and always will. I would say good luck to him, but we all know who luck is for
love him or hate him, you gotta respect cm punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fatherdog, you're a middleweight, right? You should fight CM Punk.

• Locked thread