Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tadashi posted:

Has anyone else noticed that this finish is similar to Sports Night, plot-wise?

In the final episode, it's revealed that Jim has been working on a screenplay that eventually becomes Sports Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Toshimo posted:

In the final episode, it's revealed that Jim has been working on a screenplay that eventually becomes Sports Night.

His Sports Night rip-off moments really fly under the radar when compared to the West Wing rip-offs. That's not surprising, given their respective popularity, but it's still just as bad.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Tbh, I thought we had been doing a pretty good job picking out things that he's ripped from other shows.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
They cannot euthanize this show fast enough.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toshimo posted:

They cannot euthanize this show fast enough.
Nation Hoping ‘The Newsroom’ Ends Before Trayvon Martin Storyline

quote:

NEW YORK—Reflecting on the aftermath of the George Zimmerman trial, citizens across the nation prayed Tuesday that HBO’s The Newsroom somehow ends before the show is able to incorporate a storyline about the killing of Trayvon Martin. “Oh, Christ, you just know Aaron Sorkin is already dying to clamber up on his high horse and tell people exactly how the media dropped the ball on this story at the time and exactly how he would have gotten it right,” said Eugene, OR resident Sarah Vandenberg, echoing the thoughts of the country’s 310 million citizens while doing a panicked mental calculation to determine just how long the show will have to stay on the air for the Newsroom universe to catch up to the events of Martin’s death and the subsequent criminal trial of George Zimmerman. “Honestly, I just don’t know if I can make it through Will McAvoy’s self-righteous monologue criticizing other news outlets for selectively editing Zimmerman’s 911 call, or listen to an articulate new black staff member’s passionate, perfectly rehearsed speech to the rest of the News Night team at ACN about what it feels like to be racially profiled, or see how a heated office debate over race in America will somehow affect Jim and Maggie’s relationship. I just won’t be able to handle that, okay? So please, please let the show be canceled by then.” At press time, millions of Americans were already cringing at the thought of Emily Mortimer screaming in the control room to cut a conservative guest’s mic after he says something racist.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer
Can this show die now please?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"It's nothing, it's just a change in molecular viscosity called Laminar Flow." - Maggie Jordan, Ph.D

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I can't believe this episode involved Will literally talking to his ghost dad about intellectualism; Charlie literally dying because of forced twitter integration or whatever, both packaged with a "serious" discussion on the balance between rape victims and due process and another discussion on human privacy.

What in the gently caress, this show has always been bad but at least it would have witty banter or something. What the hell happened that episode, how in the hell did an episode get made where Jim and Maggie love life stuff was somehow the "best" part of the episode and by "best" I mean least worst.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Will: "It's ok, it's over."

No it isn't. There is still one more week. Thank god Charlie is dead so he doesn't have to be on this travesty any more.

The Snoozeroom: Worst. Show. Ever.

I can't stop laughing at how awful that was.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
That was a fantastic episode.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

That was the worst hour of television I've ever seen.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
I'm glad Will went insane. Maybe his fears of abusing McKenzie will be realized in the finale.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nooneofconsequence posted:

That was the worst hour of television I've ever seen.

I haven't seen it, but there were some really terrible episodes of the X-files...

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

jesus christ gently caress you Sorkin

Could that episode have been any worse? As soon as I saw "52 days later" I was already like welp there goes that, I knew it was going to be terrible.

Good idea, make it seem like awesome Charlie is the new hardass about this dumb social media crap, but then in a twist(!) find out that he has no choice and is trying to protect his team because he is still actually awesome, but then HA! he dead because new owner guy is so evil that Charlie's heart just can't take it anymore

I mean come on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like to think that Watterson saw the scripts and asked to be killed off.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Everything about that episode was atrocious except "I couldn't find her". Don's still the best.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

jesus christ gently caress you Sorkin

Could that episode have been any worse? As soon as I saw "52 days later" I was already like welp there goes that, I knew it was going to be terrible.

Good idea, make it seem like awesome Charlie is the new hardass about this dumb social media crap, but then in a twist(!) find out that he has no choice and is trying to protect his team because he is still actually awesome, but then HA! he dead because new owner guy is so evil that Charlie's heart just can't take it anymore

I mean come on

It's extremely unrealistic that an aging old man that is unhappy with his career and under a lot of stress would have a heart attack I know, but this is Hollywood and I'm personally willing to let such fantasies slide for the greater good of telling a gripping story.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Jesus. Now Don is literally the worst.

What kind of misogynistic crap did I just watch? It felt like Aaron Sorkin was telling the audience "social media and the internet ALSO sucks because rape victims are talking about their experiences when the law has failed them and omg privileged rich guys may not get into law school waaaaahhh."

What the gently caress.

gently caress YOU Aaron Sorkin.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Pudgygiant posted:

Everything about that episode was atrocious except "I couldn't find her". Don's still the best.

I, too, am morally obligated to assume anyone claiming to be raped is lying until proven in a court of law. Simply being skeptical of both sides is immoral.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Foo posted:

What kind of misogynistic crap did I just watch? It felt like Aaron Sorkin was telling the audience "social media and the internet ALSO sucks because rape victims are talking about their experiences when the law has failed them and omg privileged rich guys may not get into law school waaaaahhh."

What the gently caress.

You totally missed the point. Don was correct.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Foo posted:

What the gently caress.

The law exists in society for a reason. When you try to bypass laws because it didn't work out for you in a way that makes you happy or even didn't work properly at all, that is vigilantism. This episode was 100% on point. While she wanted to just talk about her experience, which is absolutely fine and within her rights, she was making a Name and Shame website without any oversite. That is not a moral gray area, that is repugnant.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 8, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

nooneofconsequence posted:

I, too, am morally obligated to assume anyone claiming to be raped is lying until proven in a court of law. Simply being skeptical of both sides is immoral.

Don's delivery is the best, is what I mean

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just to stir the pot.

Her story: I was taking every drug in sight, then I blacked out for a while, then I remember being led into a bedroom by two dudes who hosed me.

His story: She said find two dudes to gently caress her so we did.

Both could be true.

Never was it said that she tried to stop things. That she told the guys to stop. Just I was wasted and they hosed me after I blacked out for a while.

Unless I, myself, blacked out due to the awfulness of this episode and I missed something.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I personally thought that whole exchange between Don and the rape victim was very human, and more honest then any other TV show would have depicted it.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

Poetic Justice posted:

The law exists in society for a reason. When you try to bypass laws because it didn't work out for you in a way that makes you happy or even didn't work properly at all, that is vigilantism. This episode was 100% on point. While she wanted to just talk about her experience, which is absolutely fine and within her rights, she was making a Name and Shame website without any oversite. That is not a moral gray area, that is repugnant.

lol women lie about getting raped all of the time

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
is the 'ghost dad' a penultimate episode tradition on Sorkin shows?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Just to stir the pot.

Her story: I was taking every drug in sight, then I blacked out for a while, then I remember being led into a bedroom by two dudes who hosed me.

His story: She said find two dudes to gently caress her so we did.

Both could be true.

Never was it said that she tried to stop things. That she told the guys to stop. Just I was wasted and they hosed me after I blacked out for a while.

Unless I, myself, blacked out due to the awfulness of this episode and I missed something.

Yea that's called rape.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Don said she was right to name her attacker, even though he morally thinks she's lying. So really it's just the internet that's bad.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

TheRationalRedditor posted:

is the 'ghost dad' a penultimate episode tradition on Sorkin shows?

No, but Sorkin railing against the internet is.

That, and calling finales "What Kind of Day Has it Been?"

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Foo posted:

lol women lie about getting raped all of the time

Women get raped more often then women lie about getting raped. That being said, there are women who lie about getting raped. It sucks, and it's terrible, but it does happen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea that's called rape.

If she asked for it and then didn't say to stop or try to stop it from happening?
Sure, it's rape in her head...

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

The whole rape subplot just seemed like an excuse for Sorkin to shove that topic onto the show without having to actually tackle the subject in any sort of real manner. I agree that the exchange between the actors was exceptional, but it ultimately felt empty.

EDIT:

Waltzing Along posted:

If she asked for it and then didn't say to stop or try to stop it from happening?
Sure, it's rape in her head...

For the record, having what I hate to call "sex" in this context with someone who is unable to give proper consent is rape. It's not all that complicated. This dude should be not sleeping with someone, let alone inviting his bros, who is completely hosed up on whatever she happened to take.

Caseman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 8, 2014

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
it was really shoehorned in there and dragged the whole episode down a bunch of notches, as did jim & maggie's infinite douchechill playlist

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Caseman posted:

The whole rape subplot just seemed like an excuse for Sorkin to shove that topic onto the show without having to actually tackle the subject in any sort of real manner. I agree that the exchange between the actors was exceptional, but it ultimately felt empty.

I actually thought it very topical and relevant to modern day internet activism and reporting. A perfect example is the Rolling Stone rape case that was just in the news recently. No fact checking, no vetting, internet vigilantism. It's amazing that this episode was probably filmed many months ago, while the Rolling Stone rape case was just found out to be a bunch of BS a couple days ago.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

Poetic Justice posted:

Women get raped more often then women lie about getting raped. That being said, there are women who lie about getting raped. It sucks, and it's terrible, but it does happen.

Don stalking a rape victim to her dorm, then insulting her by expressing concern that she might accuse him of rape, and then telling her it's a shame she can't get justice but she and other victims should just shut the gently caress up and get off the internet was just plain misogynistic writing, especially in this highly charged climate where universities are increasingly failing to bring justice to rape victims on college campuses, where rapists are protected, and it has been women activists who have been bringing attention to this issue.

Again, gently caress you Aaron Sorkin.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Foo posted:

Don stalking a rape victim to her dorm, then insulting her by expressing concern that she might accuse him of rape, and then telling her it's a shame she can't get justice but she and other victims should just shut the gently caress up and get off the internet was just plain misogynistic writing, especially in this highly charged climate where universities are increasingly failing to bring justice to rape victims on college campuses, where rapists are protected, and it has been women activists who have been bringing attention to this issue.

Again, gently caress you Aaron Sorkin.

Yes, yes now you are getting it. Don is a stalker in this episode. Aaron works in layers. He was trying to, rather obviously I must say, convey this entire episode how easy it is for a vigilante to stalk down a person, either using the newest internet gadgets like facebook or ACN human flesh tracker, or the old school way, like being a true gumshoe working all the angles to find a person you are looking for. The whole point of this episode was about taking the law into your own hands, and the repercussions of that. It's easy enough to find somebody when you are willing to put in effort, let alone when you make a Name and Shame website with no oversite or vetting. There would be nothing to stop a guy who is mad in COD from making a rape post pretending to be a girl in the type of site she was going to make. That was the entire point of that episode.

Laws exist for a reason in society.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge

Poetic Justice posted:

Yes, yes now you are getting it. Don is a stalker in this episode. Aaron works in layers. He was trying to, rather obviously I must say, convey this entire episode how easy it is for a vigilante to stalk down a person, either using the newest internet gadgets like facebook or ACN human flesh tracker, or the old school way, like being a true gumshoe working all the angles to find a person you are looking for. The whole point of this episode was about taking the law into your own hands, and the repercussions of that. It's easy enough to find somebody when you are willing to put in effort, let alone when you make a Name and Shame website with no oversite or vetting. There would be nothing to stop a guy who is mad in COD from making a rape post pretending to be a girl in the type of site she was going to make. That was the entire point of that episode.

Laws exist for a reason in society.

Except the law is failing rape victims. And he (Aaron Sorkin) seems to be content with that. But instead of having an honest conversation about how the law and society makes rape nearly impossible to be prosecuted, it becomes instead a fatuous discussion about lol women can be lying bitches on the internet amirite? Here's the message: Just shut up and wait for the law (not) to help you. Shut up and move on. SHUT UP. How better encapsulated was this message when Don made the decision for her when he told Charlie he couldn't find her, even though she wanted to go on the show? For victims, the internet can be a place in which they, WOMEN, can construct SAFE spaces for themselves and other WOMEN to talk honestly about their experiences. BECAUSE THE LAW HAS FAILED THEM. But this scares men. Privileged men. Like Aaron Sorkin.

And please, don't talk down to me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm watching episode 3 right now and thus far, this season is actually pretty good.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Foo posted:

Except the law is failing rape victims. And he (Aaron Sorkin) seems to be content with that. But instead of having an honest conversation about how the law and society makes rape nearly impossible to be prosecuted, it becomes instead a fatuous discussion about lol women can be lying bitches on the internet amirite? Here's the message: Just shut up and wait for the law (not) to help you. Shut up and move on. SHUT UP. How better encapsulated was this message when Don made the decision for her when he told Charlie he couldn't find her, even though she wanted to go on the show? For victims, the internet can be a place in which they, WOMEN, can construct SAFE spaces for themselves and other WOMEN to talk honestly about their experiences. BECAUSE THE LAW HAS FAILED THEM. But this scares men. Privileged men. Like Aaron Sorkin.

And please, don't talk down to me.

Actually, it's reality that makes rape claims nearly impossible to prosecute in a legal sense, not the law. It is almost always a his vs her word. There isn't a huge male conspiracy to rape women in society and keep it under wraps. No normal person would be ok with that. It's the fact that there are often times no way to prove it, and you should always presume innocence until proven guilty in a court of law, otherwise you are resorting to at least mental vigilantism where you automatically assume the male is a rapist and all women are perfect people without motivations to lie and are somehow perfect creatures that need to always be trusted. What separates this country from shithole countries is the presumption of innocence, and it's for a good reason.

Like these guys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_lacrosse_case Their entire life got hosed because of her claims. It never happened. They are innocent but, in the court of public opinion, they are still rapists because the media didn't really report the fact that it never happened because that isn't newsworthy. A rape that didn't occur isn't worth talking about. Does that take away from actual rape cases that happened? No. But don't get blinded from the facts just because a girl said something happened. Girls can and do lie too you know. Never take anything at face value, no matter how much it tugs at your heartstrings.

That whole episode was about how the internet reacted to that lacross case, and Sorkin is right.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm watching episode 3 right now and thus far, this season is actually pretty good.

It's about to get a whole lot worse. I actually think the first 2-3 eps of season 3 are the best the series gets.

Season 1 episode 4 is still the Sistine Chapel of terrible Newsroom episodes but this week came pretty close. I couldn't stop laughing at the ending montage with Charlie's heart attack face and the ghost dad.

• Locked thread