Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
When I saw the reflector pack I immediately began thinking about making one for my G-Self, I'm not the only one it seems.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/11/1144-g-self-reflector-pack-custom-build.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Seriously though who wants to loan me thirty bucks?

Please go to the BFC subforum, and/or http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/ if you can't afford $30 to get your gundams shipped you seriously need to get budgeting and stop overspending.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That friend of mine I mentioned a while back with like 7 MG Unicorns was more than happy to offload some manuals on me.

Much to my disappointment the MG FA Unicorn [Red Frame] doesn't have the boxart on the manual like the Norn does for some godforsaken reason. Way to make getting this kit completely pointless Bandai!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally The Worst posted:

Seriously though who wants to loan me thirty bucks?

use a credit card like an adult or admit you have a problem. begging for money here is gross

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TARDISman posted:

Just don't buy one of them? Or wait until you have the money for both of them? Both are probably more productive methods than begging for money on the internet.

I wasn't being serious and they're both already paid for. It's just shipping at this point, and I'm just going to wait a couple of checks because I have enough time before they'll auto ship.

Seriously people: it was a joke. I wasn't being serious. Don't trip over yourselves telling me to budget for money that I had no idea when I'd need to spend it because HLJ.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

use a credit card like an adult or admit you have a problem.

Don't do that, slippery slope.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Agreed, if you admit you have a problem then you might stop building robots.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The only problem is that you don't have enough.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Imagine, a fleet of Neo Zeongs.

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

my mind only has the space to imagine one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gils posted:

Imagine, a fleet of Neo Zeongs.

I've got a head start on most of you trick rear end marks.

But yeah these two are my last kits that are more than like...20 bucks with free shipping on Amazon, for a good while at least. I'm going to savor every moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a few new pics of the G-Self Assault Pack up. I love the designers don't have a clue about how to keep it upright. They've glued it onto a makeshift stand.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

How do you guys store your gunpla?

Because I'm looking at having to stop collecting, because I'm running out of room to keep them.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Like this. http://imgur.com/owsX81x,YviBqLo

I originally had my MG lead collection more spread out and in dynamic poses, but that's getting harder to do now that Bandai is finally cracking down on finishing lead suits.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Unassembled in boxes

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Because I'm looking at having to stop collecting, because I'm running out of room to keep them.

... store?

Mine are strewn about the house until I'm off school for winter break and have time to put up a shelf or two. If I had any floor space I'd buy one of those glass cabinets from Ikea.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Did someone say Ikea?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

signalnoise posted:

Did someone say Ikea?

Is that Nirvash Type Zero kit any good? Been considering getting it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

No idea yet. I got it for my wife in September...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I only display like 4 right now, I just moved and I need to fix up/finish some of my very first models so I don't feel ashamed of them. (Imagine the rest :suicide: )
Plan is to have a Mg Nu VerKa next to the RX78-2 and MG X + DX on the top shelf by may next year. :v:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 7, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Everything you need to know about thinning acrylics (it's in spanish though) http://www.network54.com/Forum/657050/message/1351494630/Los+Acr%C3%ADlicos+con+Aer%C3%B3grafo-+Diluci%C3%B3n+y+Mezclas

I like that the guy straight up states that he ignored tamiya and mr. color because of their weird combination of solvent/binder/pigment, therefore you're better off thinning them with the official stuff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's mostly the boxes I'm having an issue storing, actually. I was thinking that, if I get some large ziplocs, I could keep the models I'm not displaying and their accessories in those, and get rid of the boxes.

But the boxes look so good :(

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

It's mostly the boxes I'm having an issue storing, actually. I was thinking that, if I get some large ziplocs, I could keep the models I'm not displaying and their accessories in those, and get rid of the boxes.

But the boxes look so good :(

Cut out the art and trash the rest?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hmm, that could work. Just cut the top off the boxes, keep them in the ziplocs with the model and accessories.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I use one of those big plastic binders for all the manuals, I cut up the boxes and store them together in a (nice) pile.
I put spare parts, weapons, etc in ziplock bags, generic stuff like polycaps together and non-displayed modelkits inside shoe boxes with bubble-wrap I had lying around to protect them. I fit like 2-3 1/100 in a shoebox.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

I use one of those big plastic binders for all the manuals, I cut up the boxes and store them together in a (nice) pile.
I put spare parts, weapons, etc in ziplock bags, generic stuff like polycaps together and non-displayed modelkits inside shoe boxes with bubble-wrap I had lying around to protect them. I fit like 2-3 1/100 in a shoebox.

This sounds like what I'm gonna do. Just gotta get a ring binder, ziplocks and I'll even just use the bottoms of the existing boxes to store the models themselves. That should cut down on storage space hugely, since I only really collect 1/144s. I could fit 2 or 3 inside one HG box.

(e) Using my cunning (and Midjack's idea), I've worked out an even more efficient solution, so I can keep the box art intact AND store the manuals in an organized fashion.

I collapse the top of the box, and fold it around the manual. So the box art is still on the top, and the manual is kept with it's respective kit.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 7, 2014

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

This works pretty well. You can also flatten the boxes if you want to keep them entirely and have them take up less space.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

mr. stefan posted:

There any trick to applying waterslides to a rounded surface like a zaku pauldron or is following standard waterslide procedure good enough?

Standard procedure, although what I'd suggest doing is get the decal 1/4th the way off the paper before you start pulling. Don't hesitate to hit it with more mark softener until it's in the right place.

Philthy posted:

Get the MG. It's an amazing kit. Also the waterslide decals for it.

Did someone say MG Dom?

Latest album of my MG Rick Dom, and goddammit seeing that bazooka with the accents has me all :shepspends:

2nding "get the waterslides." This should be a standard thing with MGs. Get the waterslides, get the waterslides, get the waterslides.

http://imgur.com/a/WXMtv

Also, what do you guys like for storing your paints? My old audio cassette drawer thing is too wide and far out, gonna get one or two of these if nobody has better ideas: http://www.lowes.com/pd_568747-74640-0931_0__?productId=50253151

Edit: clear coat dried on the painted parts, so I couldn't resist putting it together for a few photos.

No waist articulation.

The arms are drat near unencumbered, though - the entire thing, pauldrons and all, rotate cleanly.

%tallgeesethrusterjoke%

:ohdear:

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 8, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I love that kit so much. It's better than anything that old has any right to be.

Anyway, a wire spice rack for storing paint is a pretty suboptimal solution. There are lots of better purpose-built types available in both rack and lazy-susan styles, check Micro-Mark or just google at will.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I keep all the paint from my wargaming days in a generic tupperware tub I got from Target. If you want something purpose-made, I've heard good things about these: http://www.tshobbies.com/24-bottle-desk-rack-TSP-LP24.htm

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MJP posted:

Also, what do you guys like for storing your paints? My old audio cassette drawer thing is too wide and far out, gonna get one or two of these if nobody has better ideas: http://www.lowes.com/pd_568747-74640-0931_0__?productId=50253151

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have a classic red steel toolbox from my minis days. Organized it is not, but the metal sides are very convenient for taking my work on the go, since I'd put magnets in the bases of all my minis. Stick them to the bottoms and sides of the toolbox, and they don't move around when you transport them. Of course, I don't have a massive number of paints either, so this box mostly exists to keep the paints, brushes, and tools I need for a specific project, and that project itself, safe and mobile.

Now, I have a plastic paint caddy that holds brushes too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swagger Dagger posted:

I keep all the paint from my wargaming days in a generic tupperware tub I got from Target. If you want something purpose-made, I've heard good things about these: http://www.tshobbies.com/24-bottle-desk-rack-TSP-LP24.htm

a goon makes these or ones just like it. I think it was lumberingtroll.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think I found my solution: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036OQU56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It'll be perfect, since I'm using an old dining table as my workshop I can have everything nice and in view. Plus it's cheaper than the cost of balsa or other lightweight wood for me to make one.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: don't know how that happened.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That's not a bad solution at all actually. Only drawback is that the bottles can be knocked off but it's not a deal-breaker.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What's your budget for this? There's some good poo poo you can get made or bought that's actually designed for this purpose, like this:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So Dragon Momoko is doing MG Strike Gundam ver. RM, but are going to take DHS Studio's resin conversion kit and convert it into plastic so we'll have a 1/100 "PG" Strike Gundam.

http://imgur.com/LWc5Hrn,CMjmevO,uKOMFvr,Qp2GRRY,ERWEgf4,qqKNB5N

Looks pretty good to me.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, that looks pretty great. Hope the changes to the back don't get in the way of the Striker Packs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
You know what? I'm coming around on a few of the AGE designs, the Farsia looks like it might be neat, I quite like the back/shoulder armour. Shame that girl = pink.