Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

this is an awesome track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

E: ^^^ lol

I guess I'm gonna be the guy to ask this. What separates a boner jam from an 80's cheese track? Please set a youngin right.

Well nothing is sexier than 80's cheese, so... :eng101: There's just something inherently bonerific about italo disco.

I don't have a good track record of actually finishing anything, but I've listened to a lot of this stuff so my current plan of attack is to just throw cheese at the wall until something sticks. And thanks for the kind words everyone, for my stupid idea :allears:

After looking through my folders for inspiration I found this gem that I got from GBS several years ago. Shows it's still possible in TYOOL 20XX to make just as cheesy music as they did in the 80's:

http://easystreet.bandcamp.com/track/i-love-your-sexy-movie

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I already got my kit picked out. Gonna finally use that midibox SID synth that I made 2 years ago on a track. Gonna set the cz-101 up as 4 mono bass synths. Gonna use Synth76477 (ios emulation of the sound chip used in, like, asteroids and a bunch of other old video games and pinball tables) for some noises and probably the drum and percussion track. Jx-3p/8p will probably pick up the slack on stringz 'n' padz.

Got a song title too, "Memberz only" see, it's a double double entendre 'cause members only was a popular clothing brand in the '80s and "member" is also a word for penis.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Aw yea. this new Bonerjam is right up my ehh alley.

First raw jam, no mixing no eq, so please don't mind the overly saturated mids.
https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/bafficolo/s-dd5Op

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Wow, I wasn't expecting to see this:

http://www.matrixsynth.com/2014/12/futureperfect-christmas-2014.html

Hopefully that leads to a few sales!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Ooh, nice. Keep us abreast of the sales figures Dotcom, I wanna know how much I'm improving the world by noodling.

e: Bonerjam proceeds should go to a sexy charity, like buying webcams for amateur models.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anyone with the off chance of having played around with the Stereopting Microwave Controller, any thoughts/opinions on it? It looks like exactly what I'm looking for to control my Microwave live and not put in a shitload of money into an Access Microwave Controller.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BKPR posted:

e: Bonerjam proceeds should go to a sexy charity, like buying webcams for amateur models.

Was actually thinking about that earlier. Like, a charity that goes around convincing girls to have sex with nerdy guys, like convince them to look at the long term picture that nerds eventually make better fathers and husbands, but that they should rope their nerd in early when they're still young. It would result in fewer lonely nerds and fewer girls in lovely, non-nerd, relationships. Yeah, it's a first world kinda charity, but man, when you aren't getting laid you might as well be starving to death or forgotten in a south American prison because it's impossible to get any pleasure in life anyway.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Bangbus already makes enough money on its own, y'all.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Or hey how about bout a charity that benefits victims of sexual violence?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I would have expected a little more traffic from the Matrixsynth post, but so far we've raised $130 from 20 purchases. I think the $130 is the amount after Bandcamp's revenue sharing, so actual sales $$ is a bit higher. 1,376 plays in total which is pretty cool.

Besides direct traffic, Facebook was the biggest source of clicks followed by my post on Reddit (which you can bump if you feel so inclined: http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/2odeem/futureperfect_christmas_a_little_synth_project/). I'm wondering where else we might be able to promote things. I would consider buying a banner ad on SA but I don't think that would convert well because it's advertising something that is *actually* good. Any ideas?

toadee posted:

I like this idea better

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 7, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

toadee posted:

Right, yeah. Better idea.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I would have expected a little more traffic from the Matrixsynth post, but so far we've raised $130 from 20 purchases. I think the $130 is the amount after Bandcamp's revenue sharing, so actual sales $$ is a bit higher. 1,376 plays in total which is pretty cool.

Besides direct traffic, Facebook was the biggest source of clicks followed by my post on Reddit (which you can bump if you feel so inclined: http://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/2odeem/futureperfect_christmas_a_little_synth_project/). I'm wondering where else we might be able to promote things. I would consider buying a banner ad on SA but I don't think that would convert well because it's advertising something that is *actually* good. Any ideas?

Did you ask SA staff about posting the compilation on other forums (Gibbis?)? ML has a very niche audience and even fewer people interested in synth music. In my experience NMD isn't nearly as active anymore as it used to be some years back, either.

Same kinda goes for Reddit (edit: synth forum, I mean) as well. I think there's some sort of day for own music on the main /music page?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 7, 2014

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Bonerjammin

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/bonerjamz2_preview/s-rooqj

gently caress it, make a jibbus thread.

snorch fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 7, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Y'all are blowin' yer wads a bit early, considering the bonerjamz deadline. But what's a little premature etrackulation between friends?

I had decided to bump my holiday track back so I could at least get it into this year's GBS album, but I'm so deep in code at the moment, that probably might not happen either. Good idea though, will save it for next year.

Anyway, as for bonerjamz, February is far enough away that it should be doable. Very doable...

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

premature etrackulation

Please rename the album to this

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Anyone who has a Minimoog Voyager: interested in selling? :dance:

Separately: interested in a Volca Keys. I think a couple of thread peeps were selling theirs lately.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
edit. problem solved

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 8, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Minidracula, you just missed mine. Sold locally.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Does anyone have a BCR2000 with the Zaquencer firmware? Seems like a reasonably priced option for a hardware sequencer but I thought i'd ask here to see if there are any gotchas.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is a used x0xb0x worth $300? Looking to get a new synth as a X-mas present to myself. There's also a JX-8P on my CL for $400.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm looking out for a Yamaha FS1R if anyone (UK based) wants to sell me one.

Love FM so much. It doesn't really have a good rep these days

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

a_big_dog posted:

That's the most expensive, hardest to find way to get your FM on. Look instead for something TG/SY

A MIRACLE posted:

Is a used x0xb0x worth $300? Looking to get a new synth as a X-mas present to myself. There's also a JX-8P on my CL for $400.

Now that Moby's shown his face in this thread again, he might be able to tell you the street value of a xoxbox. I'd say it's probably worth it in terms of market value BUT TB303s AREN'T VERY INTERESTING SYNTHS. Jx-8p is pretty cool, but it has a kind of Devo Oh No It's Devo era sound that just permeates every patch you make with it. 400$ is steep unless it's in really nice cosmetic shape, 200-250$ would be a good price to haggle it down to. Keep in mind that it isn't really all that fun with out a programmer and that will run you an additional 400$ or so (it plays super nice with the bc2000, bur nothing is labeled and it's a few knobs short).

Sizone fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 8, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
$300 for a x0x is a pretty good deal. Depending on the faceplate you can sometimes tell who the builder of the unit was. Some builders go the extra mile with sourcing parts to give a more authentic™ sound. Most don't. I've been holding out for the right x0xb0x for almost a year and a half now, not that they're rare or something, but x0xi0.com has been letting me down over kit restocking. C'mon!!!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
$300 is a good deal if you trust the builder.

Sizone posted:

BUT TB303s AREN'T VERY INTERESTING SYNTHS

*gushes over Ponies*

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does acid count as bonerjamz?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

net work error posted:

Does acid count as bonerjamz?

If you can have sex to it, sure.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Thoughts on running synths through guitar pedals? I'm considering getting some pedals for my guitar and I wonder how they'll sound through my microbrute. I'm guessing it might be a little tricky considering the output levels of the two instruments are not the same. Can I just compensate by setting the volume way low and increasing the gain on my amp?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

theratking posted:

Thoughts on running synths through guitar pedals? I'm considering getting some pedals for my guitar and I wonder how they'll sound through my microbrute. I'm guessing it might be a little tricky considering the output levels of the two instruments are not the same. Can I just compensate by setting the volume way low and increasing the gain on my amp?

Synths through pedals is great.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

theratking posted:

Do it. There are some excellent pedals, and most synths have unbalanced outs, which pedals will expect. Some pedals are even designed these days with the assumption that people will be using them for more than just guitars. This Boss Tera Echo thing I bought a few months ago has stereo ins and outs!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Zvex Instant Low-fi Junky is one of the few pedals I find sounds better on synths than guitar. Makes even the most sterile VA sound like an analog from the 80's.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I'm looking to expand my 'live' rig and actually do some live performing.

Basically here's where it's sitting right now:
TR8 is the tempo master (via a MIDI splitter) and handles most of the drums. TB3 for all the 303 stuff, obviously. Ableton laptop has some effect routing (a delay/reverb for splashing things out, as well as a send/return to my KP3 for multi-effects) and two tracks with about 50 classic breaks in them - and some optional EQ/compression/sidechaining to keep the external gear in line. My interface is a Traktor A10, but I have a couple of templates for different I/O setups; single output pair with cue out, multiple output pairs - even a direct template for my DJM900 as an audio interface, in case I ever play in a venue with a DJM that doesn't have its Nexus functionality utilized.

Anyway I'm looking for a synthy companion for my TB3. I've been looking a bit at these new Electribe units, but there isn't enough information on them yet. I'd like something compact, that can do arpeggios, spacey sounds and stuff that evolves, really well. Idiot-proof is a plus; I don't have much actual keyboard skill beyond knowing how to find a couple of intervals from the tonic. Also a plus is multiple outs (and ins!) as I have a talkbox that I'd like to use. I've been musing on some Elektron gear, and a DSI Evolver/Poly-Evolver as well but can't figure out which piece would best serve my purposes. Thoughts?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 9, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theratking posted:

loving awesome.

The only pedals that don't really sound great with synths are overdrives and boosts since synths don't work well with just more gain as those pedals are used to push an amp into clipping sooner or tonally different than designed which a synth is never really designed to do. Hell, even putting a synth only through an EQ pedal is a great way to change how a synth sounds.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

theratking posted:

Thoughts on running synths through guitar pedals?

Some pedals such as distortion might be pre-EQ'd for guitar, usually cutting lows. Otherwise no problem.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

loving awesome.

The only pedals that don't really sound great with synths are overdrives and boosts since synths don't work well with just more gain as those pedals are used to push an amp into clipping sooner or tonally different than designed which a synth is never really designed to do. Hell, even putting a synth only through an EQ pedal is a great way to change how a synth sounds.

But (some) overdrive pedals do work great with drum machines. Run a 909 through a Blackstar HT-DistX or a Moog MF-101, and just sit back 'n enjoy the ride(s).

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

a_big_dog posted:

Hey man, I'm with you on FM. The harmonics you get at higher modulation depths are unparalleled by other methods of synthesis in their complexity and progression.

It's worth noting, however, that digital FM is just a bunch of math. The synthesizer itself might bring other desirable things to the table (formant filters in the FS1R), but it more often than not brings imperfection. Bit depth and sample rate on the old FM stuff is a limiting factor, as is algorithm selection. Add in outdated DACs, and you're probably well behind the 8-ball on what FM8 on your PC can do.

Also consider user interface. FM synths are not known for ease of editing, but only half of that is the nature of the synthesis itself. While I have almost mastered the workflow of the DX7II, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Contrast it with the modulation matrix of FM8, which is a much better canvas for sound design. Even the FS1R is known for being less-than-great for designing patches, and while I have no hands-on experience to confirm that, I can only imagine trying to navigate FM patch design (plus filters!) with fewer controls than even the DX7.

If you love FM, my suggestion is not to fetishize the hardware that made it popular. It's all a bunch of math, do it with your PC. Hell, I did it from scratch in Python. It's really cool and simple, but the hardware is dated and overpriced for the functionality. FM8 is 200 bux, but it's easily worth more than even the SY99.

Just my 2 cents. :)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The Cleaner posted:

Zvex Instant Low-fi Junky is one of the few pedals I find sounds better on synths than guitar. Makes even the most sterile VA sound like an analog from the 80's.

I run an ms2000 through this every so often and it sounds like vhs.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

$300 for a x0x is a pretty good deal. Depending on the faceplate you can sometimes tell who the builder of the unit was. Some builders go the extra mile with sourcing parts to give a more authentic™ sound. Most don't. I've been holding out for the right x0xb0x for almost a year and a half now, not that they're rare or something, but x0xi0.com has been letting me down over kit restocking. C'mon!!!

Well here's the ad if anyone else wants to pick it up http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4755042375.html

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sizone posted:

Now that Moby's shown his face in this thread again, he might be able to tell you the street value of a xoxbox. I'd say it's probably worth it in terms of market value BUT TB303s AREN'T VERY INTERESTING SYNTHS.

It depends. The thing is though, if you aren't sure you want a 303, you do not want a 303. It's not 'interesting' in that it is 1 osc with limited modulation, but the amount of timbres you can get out of it is fascinating, and it takes to EQ and some overdrive gorgeously. Again though, reasons for wanting a 303 are "making Acid", and if the ability to make Acid (don't ever actually try to do this with a TB-3 or anything short of a x0x or TT-303) isn't that big to you, it is totally and absolutely not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

toadee posted:

It depends. The thing is though, if you aren't sure you want a 303, you do not want a 303. It's not 'interesting' in that it is 1 osc with limited modulation, but the amount of timbres you can get out of it is fascinating, and it takes to EQ and some overdrive gorgeously. Again though, reasons for wanting a 303 are "making Acid", and if the ability to make Acid (don't ever actually try to do this with a TB-3 or anything short of a x0x or TT-303) isn't that big to you, it is totally and absolutely not worth it.

Why hate on the TB-3? It looks like it has a decent / similar sequencer style. But yeah I decided I needed a 303-alike after playing with the software one on http://www.audiotool.com/ for like 3 hours without realizing it. The thing is mezmerizing