Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Well, to be fair, most people do poo poo themselves when Black Bolt speaks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mousepractice posted:

I though Brown Noise was a lame version of Black Bolt

Maybe you know him by his secret identity, Brownagar Noteagon

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Servoret posted:

The story's from 1958. It might be a little bit before they codified that Superman was vulnerable to magic as well as kryptonite. Maybe even a while? I remember Bronze Age stories about Superman and magic, but not really any Mort Weisinger era stories.

The closest I can get to them actually spelling out Superman's weakness to magic was in World's Finest #207, published Nov. 1971, where Dr. Light managed to hypnotize Clark Kent into trying to knock off Superman.

Something about that 'YEW GONNA GIT YOURS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY' makes me smile, especially if I read that in a Hank Hill voice..

In the next issue, Supes has an uncharacteristically Ultraman-like moment. He decides if he isn't resistant to magic, then he's just a dork..

"Hey, what's going on, why is all the data from Comstar 3 all screw- SUPERMAN YOUR rear end IS ON THE GAMMA RAY DETECTOR GET OFF THE loving SATELLITE"

So he heads off very casually (after all this was the era of cosmic-powered Supes who can juggle planets without breaking a sweat) to Earth-2 to beg Doctor Fate to make him invulnerable to magic, which leads to this endearing splash page..

Yeah Supes, lifting North America off the planet is a good way to save everyone

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 8, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Something about that 'YEW GONNA GIT YOURS THE OLD FASHIONED WAY' makes me smile, especially if I read that in a Hank Hill voice..

Excuse me, but that is clearly dale gribble.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Can you think of a better power to use against people wearing unitards or brightly-colored spandex?

You just reminded me that Jean did this to a group of U-men once. :cry:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Jesse Custer did the same to the KKK.

I think it was #46, anyone got the panel?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

"Tarantula: The ORIGINAL Web-Slinger" yeah that'll get those readers back

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dordreff posted:

"Tarantula: The ORIGINAL Web-Slinger" yeah that'll get those readers back

Do Tarantulas even spin webs?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No. No they do not.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
They do make silk, but they use it in their caves, not to make webs.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Say Nothing posted:

Jesse Custer did the same to the KKK.

I think it was #46, anyone got the panel?

Yup.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was even Tarantula the original web-slinger anyway? Is that counting pulp heroes or just comic books?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah Supes, lifting North America off the planet is a good way to save everyone
He seems to be scrunching up all the continents on the one side, probably should have distributed those giant magic hooks a little better. Or maybe gotten Earth-2 Superman to push from the back.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lobok posted:

Was even Tarantula the original web-slinger anyway? Is that counting pulp heroes or just comic books?

Tarantula had a gun that fired a sticky nylon line that he used to swing around. I don't know of any earlier characters who had similar abilities. The pulp Spider (Richard Wentworth) carried a thin, strong silk rope that he sometimes called "the Spider's web," but it was just a rope.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Does anyone have those pages where Namor is saying to Reed Richards how much Black Bolt is laughing at him in his head?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Selachian posted:

Tarantula had a gun that fired a sticky nylon line that he used to swing around. I don't know of any earlier characters who had similar abilities. The pulp Spider (Richard Wentworth) carried a thin, strong silk rope that he sometimes called "the Spider's web," but it was just a rope.

Ah, the days when "carry around a strong rope" was considered a superpower.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

Jack Kirby's design for Spider-Man had a web-shooting gun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kyle Baker wrote silly cartoons for Marvel Age: http://comicartistevolution.tumblr.com/post/103933772881/kyle-baker-1985-1986-its-genetic-from-marvel

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The first thing you should do when you say you want to post something on a semi-daily basis is not post for 6 days.

Anyways, some Thanks, Ken Penders highlights from issues 13-25. The guy doing this skipped issue 24 because in a mere 13 issues of writing, Ken Penders had made 4 about alternate universe sonics. Though he isn't shown in any of these panels, this also introduced a character named Robo-Robotnik, who is an alternate universe Robotnik who turned himself into a robot. He's supposed to be be really important later. The guy who does this also covered a special and the Princess Sally miniseries, though nothing really thread-worthy was in there.

(Sonic the Hedgehog #13)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #14)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #19)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #20)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #21)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #22)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #23)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #25)

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 9, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mr Tastee posted:

(Sonic the Hedgehog #20)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #23)
These three own a surprising amount. I love those little ants, and the "disregard if you are dead" bit.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sonic's tiny foot is kind of gross.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

SirDan3k posted:

No, see she's just using gadgets so she's not a "real spider" so she just gets rape threats thrown at her.

Spider-Verse is poo poo.

I'll have you know that Morlun is only about upholding the Daily Bugle's journalistic ethics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I'll have you know that Morlun is only about upholding the Daily Bugle's journalistic ethics.

I'd pay good money for a page of Jonah or Ben Urich laughing a GamerGater out of their office. Ooh, better yet, Betty Brant or Kat Farrell. (Or what's her face who wanted Steve Rogers to get a MySpace, I guess)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

IUG posted:

I'm pretty sure if you injected someone with that much mercury (or even significantly less) they would find a dead body in the bathroom stall and Magneto would stay in prison.

Surprisingly not! Elemental mercury is actually not that bad. The salts and vapors are.

http://www.anatomybox.com/mercury-embolism-to-the-lung/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

This triggered a primordial childhood memory and I had to go find it.

Bullpen Bits #4, obviously. Don't know if or where it would be collected though.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone have those pages where Namor is saying to Reed Richards how much Black Bolt is laughing at him in his head?

New Avengers Illuminati, Issue 4, first 4 pages. It looks like Pages 1-3 are the previews for this issue on Marvel Comicstore

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Well someone is amused by Wonder Woman's crotch

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

apsouthern posted:

Well someone is amused by Wonder Woman's crotch

I know this topic has come up before, but drat those are some creepy child faces

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The front half of Spider Verse Team Up #2 was pretty good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This looks nice for the guy's first webcomic. I wonder if one day his skills will improve to the point of getting professional work from one of the big two.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

That team-up is probably going to be the best thing to come out of Spider-Verse

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

This looks nice for the guy's first webcomic. I wonder if one day his skills will improve to the point of getting professional work from one of the big two.

You do realize that the non-Miles Spider-Men figures are the artist imitating the art styles of two different animated TV series, right? If 90's Spidey looks lovely, blame whoever created the stylesheet for him instead.

Edit: I love that "Other dimensions? That explains everything" dialogue.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Servoret posted:

You do realize that the non-Miles Spider-Men figures are the artist imitating the art styles of two different animated TV series, right? If 90's Spidey looks lovely, blame whoever created the stylesheet for him instead.

Edit: I love that "Other dimensions? That explains everything" dialogue.

It's 60's cartoon Spider-Man universe they are in, not 90's.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Please tell me this will have Electric Company Spider-Man in it. Or Newspaper Spider-Man.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Am I crazy, or didn't this storyline already occur in the Saturday-morning cartoon, where Spider-man had to round up a bunch of alternates (including an actor who plays him in our world) to... fight something or other? Is this a recurring thing?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr Tastee posted:

Please tell me this will have Electric Company Spider-Man in it. Or Newspaper Spider-Man.

Newspaper Spider-Man was already in it, and it was awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ashcans posted:

Am I crazy, or didn't this storyline already occur in the Saturday-morning cartoon, where Spider-man had to round up a bunch of alternates (including an actor who plays him in our world) to... fight something or other? Is this a recurring thing?

They didn't get their skulls violently crushed in that episode, so it was clearly inferior to this shlock.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ashcans posted:

That was pretty different and ended on a weird cliffhanger as I recall.

Also, in retrospect, it was weird to have "an actor from our world", because that series was before the Raimi films, and there hadn't really been a successful live action Spider-man thing.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

theflyingorc posted:

That was pretty different and ended on a weird cliffhanger as I recall.

Also, in retrospect, it was weird to have "an actor from our world", because that series was before the Raimi films, and there hadn't really been a successful live action Spider-man thing.

I mean, it wasn't particularly successful but it definitely happened. I remember watching it and loving it as a kid, but then again I'm 40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

It's 60's cartoon Spider-Man universe they are in, not 90's.

The guy looking at the reader in the first panel isn't from the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon?

• Locked thread