Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
My attempts to follow the advice in the OP are hitting two walls. The first is I cannot connect with any of the recruiters in the groups I am in. The option simply isn't there. I can InMail them though, would that suffice? I think that would lead to be being quickly forgotten unless that is the way to get connections. Second, LinkedIn drops a message strongly discouraging linking with people you don't know, so I'm interested in the answer to the above question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I don't think I've ever seen the reason why they know me when accepting.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Boot and Rally posted:

My attempts to follow the advice in the OP are hitting two walls. The first is I cannot connect with any of the recruiters in the groups I am in. The option simply isn't there. I can InMail them though, would that suffice? I think that would lead to be being quickly forgotten unless that is the way to get connections. Second, LinkedIn drops a message strongly discouraging linking with people you don't know, so I'm interested in the answer to the above question.

InMail is nice because if they dont reply you get another InMai. That said if you arent contacting them because fo a job theyre in charge of the req for theres not really any benefit, unlike a connection where you'll now show up in more 2nd degree searches. It is possible LinkedIn disabled the option to connect with people in groups, if you can see their full name try searching for it, explicitly. It might be the only way to add people you don't know is if they are a 2nd connection.

Tawd
Oct 24, 2010
Hey all, just to say, thanks to this and the Resume and Interview thread, I got in touch with a recruiter for a firm I wanted to work for and have just accepted their offer. Thanks to all!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
This isn't LinkedIn specific but I have a networking etiquette question.

The boss that hired me at my current job left for another place 3 weeks ago. I am also looking, and this morning he texted me asking if it was okay for him to introduce me to some contacts of his, so of course I said yes.

He sends off a nicely worded email praising me to a couple of people, one of them a VP at a place I might be interested in working at. The VP responds to me with a "please review the open positions on the website to see if there are any positions you are interested in," that's it.

What is appropriate here? Respond with "x position looks interesting, thanks old boss for the introduction?"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

devmd01 posted:

This isn't LinkedIn specific but I have a networking etiquette question.

The boss that hired me at my current job left for another place 3 weeks ago. I am also looking, and this morning he texted me asking if it was okay for him to introduce me to some contacts of his, so of course I said yes.

He sends off a nicely worded email praising me to a couple of people, one of them a VP at a place I might be interested in working at. The VP responds to me with a "please review the open positions on the website to see if there are any positions you are interested in," that's it.

What is appropriate here? Respond with "x position looks interesting, thanks old boss for the introduction?"

I'd reply like that then follow up by phone with your old boss by phone. I'm no expert in business etiquette though.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Radbot posted:

How do I accurately evaluate whether a startup is worth looking at, or whether they're trying to get me to work as a paid intern?

Basically? You cannot. The last round of funding was a low-series A/High Angel round.
In startup terms, this is just barely a step past "My mom gave me $5,000". The market is so frothy right now that even astoundingly stupid ideas are getting funded (UBER for Pizza!!! [you mean a pizza delivery guy?!?])

However, startups are high-risk, high reward. You will obviously have to take a pay cut against a more stable company, but then there is the potential upside. Like all startup employees you are rolling the dice on the Ferrari-grade pay-day.

When I joined a startup I used these criteria (and BTW I am in marketing too).
1) Will this job help me advance my career? I.E. will I get exposure to new ideas, skills, people, etc
2) Do I believe in the product? For instance if the product involves: Delivery, Photosharing, Social or monthly boxes - run away, those ships have sailed. Make sure this company has a path to profitability. The days of "will figure it out later" are over.
3) Do I have enough potential upside to take the risk? Don't let them bamboozle you with statements like "10,000 shares" or "100,000 shares" you need to know the % of shares outstanding and your percentage of ownership. Coming in after a big round means MANY fewer shares for you. Expect to get .25% to .75%. You are too late for a 5% stake.
4) Will I get enough salary so that I am not suffering, given that 90%+ of all startups fail? Pretty obvious.

The other thing you need to understand is that you are coming in at a turning point. You are going to be a MUCH MUCH smaller percentage of owner than the other guys. They may have a culture of 100+ hour work weeks, which is fine, but you will be doing yourself a disservice if you kill yourself for someone else's company. Expect to work a lot, but don't get crazy if the upside isn't there.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tai-Pan posted:

Basically? You cannot. The last round of funding was a low-series A/High Angel round.
In startup terms, this is just barely a step past "My mom gave me $5,000". The market is so frothy right now that even astoundingly stupid ideas are getting funded (UBER for Pizza!!! [you mean a pizza delivery guy?!?])

However, startups are high-risk, high reward. You will obviously have to take a pay cut against a more stable company, but then there is the potential upside. Like all startup employees you are rolling the dice on the Ferrari-grade pay-day.

1) Will this job help me advance my career? I.E. will I get exposure to new ideas, skills, people, etc
2) Do I believe in the product? For instance if the product involves: Delivery, Photosharing, Social or monthly boxes - run away, those ships have sailed. Make sure this company has a path to profitability. The days of "will figure it out later" are over.
3) Do I have enough potential upside to take the risk? Don't let them bamboozle you with statements like "10,000 shares" or "100,000 shares" you need to know the % of shares outstanding and your percentage of ownership. Coming in after a big round means MANY fewer shares for you. Expect to get .25% to .75%. You are too late for a 5% stake.
4) Will I get enough salary so that I am not suffering, given that 90%+ of all startups fail? Pretty obvious.

The other thing you need to understand is that you are coming in at a turning point. You are going to be a MUCH MUCH smaller percentage of owner than the other guys. They may have a culture of 100+ hour work weeks, which is fine, but you will be doing yourself a disservice if you kill yourself for someone else's company. Expect to work a lot, but don't get crazy if the upside isn't there.

1) Join a startup
2) ???
3) Obtain a controlling interest in a major league sports team

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Thanks for the tutorial, seems really nice. Still didn't read it all, but i know it's gonna be quite useful to update my linkedin profile

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I have a question that Google has surprisingly few opinions on. I just finished my first week at a new job. So when is it appropriate to actually update this information on your LinkedIn? Technically right now I'm being paid hourly as a trial/training period with the aim of transitioning to a salaried position, and while it's been going really well and feels like a great fit it seems premature to update that info. Then again, I am now employed and I would definitely want my information to reflect that as early as would be appropriate.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Since you have an official probationary period, I'd hold off on adding it until you finish that. That way you don't have to risk explaining a very short tenure there.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to compose a decent summary, but I'm struggling with the "what I'm looking for" part. I studied political science and international affairs in school, but I couldn't take the unpaid internships I was offered and have worked in unrelated jobs over the past year and a half. I don't have high hopes of getting anything in my interest areas after this lapse of time, but I am making the appropriate efforts for it and want to identify that as my goal in the summary.

However, I don't want to look like I am disinterested in other work. I'd be more than happy to add to my income with, for example, a clerical job, which I have experience in. Since the majority of jobs I qualify for in my area are light office work, it is important that I include it.

Are the temp recruiters/whoever I'm connected with going to buy "While my interests lie in X (field of study), I also really enjoy Y (unrelated low-paying work)", or is it just going to look like I'd be an unreliable choice?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tai-Pan posted:

Thanks for your feedback - unfortunately I was passed over as they were looking for a marketer who was more well-rounded and "could step into a CMO role someday soon" for $80k/yr in San Diego.

I've recently been deluged by recruiters for staffing firms, looking for analysts (I'm currently a step up from an analyst). Do these people not get that a manager is unlikely to leave a permanent position for a temporary analyst position?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Radbot posted:

Thanks for your feedback - unfortunately I was passed over as they were looking for a marketer who was more well-rounded and "could step into a CMO role someday soon" for $80k/yr in San Diego.

Sorry to hear that.

Radbot posted:

I've recently been deluged by recruiters for staffing firms, looking for analysts (I'm currently a step up from an analyst). Do these people not get that a manager is unlikely to leave a permanent position for a temporary analyst position?

Well, they do it because it costs them nothing. I am VP-level and I still get offers to take 3 month roles.
I guess sometimes it works; People make life decisions (work part-time and stay at home with the kids, decide they want to surf more, etc) so maybe they get a hit now and then.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I have an odd LinkedIn question and I don't know where else to ask about it, so I may as well ask here.

I work in (low-level) management at a nonprofit, and I got an invitation to join LinkedIn's "Board Member Connect Program for Nonprofits‏." Just to be clear, I have absolutely no power to choose who stays and who goes on my nonprofit's board.

Apparently, if I accept the invitation I get a premium account for a year and access to the group. I have no idea why I was invited to join this, unless they also invite people who could conceivably serve on nonprofit boards as well.

Anyone know anything more about this feature and whether there are any downsides?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Tai-Pan posted:

Well, they do it because it costs them nothing. I am VP-level and I still get offers to take 3 month roles.
I guess sometimes it works; People make life decisions (work part-time and stay at home with the kids, decide they want to surf more, etc) so maybe they get a hit now and then.

On the flip side, I had an interviewer / internal recruiter tell me, up front, that I was totally and utterly unqualified to be a chocolate teapot technician, to the point where she made me feel I'd been dishonest in applying to the position.

Then the next day their competitor offered me a position as a lead chocolate teapot technician. :shrug: Sometimes I think HR and staffing people are just winging it. It'd explain the guy who wanted me to interview for a job I'm not legally certified to do, short of a major career change with a ten year outlook.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
First off thanks for the detailed OP! It's giving me hope as I start my job search. :)

I was just wondering if Stairmasters is still active. I applied a couple weeks ago and haven't been accepted. Am I supposed to send a message or something?

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm about 12 months out from completing my MBA and I wanted to ask you guys for feedback on a question:

Should you start the job search now for that next great position, or wait until the MBA is completed and then hit the ground running?

The next job will be the "Career Change" and I am seeking to make that transition to the next level in my career. I just don't want to short change myself because I'm paid lower by starting now without the degree completed. I've already updated my Linked-in Profile and have started making a Web site for myself as well to promote myself and samples of my work.

Appreciate any insight - thanks! :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot. posted:

First off thanks for the detailed OP! It's giving me hope as I start my job search. :)

I was just wondering if Stairmasters is still active. I applied a couple weeks ago and haven't been accepted. Am I supposed to send a message or something?

Sorry, we're bad at this.

courtney_beth posted:

I'm about 12 months out from completing my MBA and I wanted to ask you guys for feedback on a question:

Should you start the job search now for that next great position, or wait until the MBA is completed and then hit the ground running?

The next job will be the "Career Change" and I am seeking to make that transition to the next level in my career. I just don't want to short change myself because I'm paid lower by starting now without the degree completed. I've already updated my Linked-in Profile and have started making a Web site for myself as well to promote myself and samples of my work.

Appreciate any insight - thanks! :)

Always start sooner rather than later.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Just want to say that I got a sweet job in my chosen field (Data Visualization) due to my optimized LinkedIn profile. Thanks for the amazing thread

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Did you optimize it based just on the advice in this thread, or did you use one of the SA Mart services?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

My Q-Face posted:

Did you optimize it based just on the advice in this thread, or did you use one of the SA Mart services?

Just the thread. Mostly it was filling out every detail on there, adding a professional profile pic, and connecting with lots of people. My process now is to request a connection to anyone that looks at my profile which is a nice virtuous spiral.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
What's the etiquette for working with multiple recruiters?
Is contract-to-hire a terrible idea?

I know this isn't specifically a LinkedIn question, but I asked about recruiters over on the accounting thread, and I thought you guys might have some experience with recruiters here.

I have an MBA - Finance, ran a small business for a couple years, did low-level corporate accounting for 6 months. I just moved back to America and got a contract-to-hire job for entry-level bond analysis. The job was a mess for a lot of tl;dr reasons, and I got fired after two weeks for "not being a good fit."

I think I was blacklisted from the last one after I got fired, but I doubt they'd ever tell me so. I had an interview with a different recruiter and I am not sure if I need to tell the first recruiter I don't want to work with them anymore. Neither explicitly has an exclusivity requirement, I just don't want to screw up more than I may have already.

I only discussed direct hire stuff with the new recruiter. I asked why a company would do contract to hire, they said it was a "try before you buy" thing. I don't really want to be a product that's easy to return, and after last time I'm extremely gun shy about another contract to hire position. Am I being crazy? Should I hold out for a direct hire opportunity?

Both of the recruiters told me "Don't worry, if you do a good job, direct-to-hire will be permanent." At the last place, I got no feedback on my performance or any warning at all before they fired me. As a former manager, I feel that's really lovely management, and I'd rather not waste my time working somewhere like that again.

edit: I'm not really sure where this question should go, so let me know if I should put it in a different thread.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

posh spaz posted:

What's the etiquette for working with multiple recruiters?

I think I was blacklisted from the last one after I got fired, but I doubt they'd ever tell me so. I had an interview with a different recruiter and I am not sure if I need to tell the first recruiter I don't want to work with them anymore. Neither explicitly has an exclusivity requirement, I just don't want to screw up more than I may have already.

You don't have to say a goddamn word. If that recruiter isn't finding any more interviews for you (it's not "blacklisting," they likely just have other candidates they think they can get better turnaround with at the moment), then they are useless to you and you shouldn't waste any more time worrying about them. You work with whoever the hell you want to.

(Also, I've never heard of exclusivity agreements between recruiters and job seekers and wouldn't sign one if it were put in front of me. Pretty sure exclusivity is between recruiter/employer.)

quote:

I only discussed direct hire stuff with the new recruiter. I asked why a company would do contract to hire, they said it was a "try before you buy" thing. I don't really want to be a product that's easy to return, and after last time I'm extremely gun shy about another contract to hire position. Am I being crazy? Should I hold out for a direct hire opportunity?

Both of the recruiters told me "Don't worry, if you do a good job, direct-to-hire will be permanent." At the last place, I got no feedback on my performance or any warning at all before they fired me. As a former manager, I feel that's really lovely management, and I'd rather not waste my time working somewhere like that again.

You should always, always assume that "contract to hire" means "contract." It costs a business nothing to list a job as "contract to hire" and it will attract more candidates that they can choose from. If a recruiter is telling you that a contract to hire will be permanent if you do a good job, they are lying to you. There is never a guarantee. Never.

Whether you should apply to those positions is an open question. If you're in a place in your life and finances where you can be picky and you don't want contract work, then by all means, be picky. If you need a job and need money now, there's no harm in taking a six month CTH position, it just means you have 6 months of work and will get 6 months of experience out of it. Do that a few times and you'll build up that resume and look more attractive to the companies that actually want permanent employees. But yeah, if you don't want contract work, period, don't bother with contract to hire.

By the way, if you're worried about a bunch of short jobs on your resume looking bad, keep in mind that working a bunch of contracts is not the same as job hopping. It's contract work. By definition, they're going to be shorter jobs. Just put "Contract" somewhere when you're listing that employer and it'll be fine.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
Thanks for the feedback Che. I really appreciate it.

Che Delilas posted:

Whether you should apply to those positions is an open question. If you're in a place in your life and finances where you can be picky and you don't want contract work, then by all means, be picky. If you need a job and need money now, there's no harm in taking a six month CTH position, it just means you have 6 months of work and will get 6 months of experience out of it. Do that a few times and you'll build up that resume and look more attractive to the companies that actually want permanent employees. But yeah, if you don't want contract work, period, don't bother with contract to hire.

At this point I have a decent-enough financial cushion I don't really need to work for the next 12 months or so. My main concern with doing CTH again is the opportunity cost. I turned down interviews for permanent positions after I agreed to take the CTH job, because I am naive and felt it would be unprofessional to back out.

Also, the recruiter said they would stop offering me permanent positions if I was on a CTH assignment. For straight-up temp work they said they'd pull me off the temp gig if a good direct hire opportunity came up. Is it likely that's a lie as well?

I also got super depressed for like two weeks after I got fired, because I'd never been fired before. I know any place can fire you at any time for any reason, I just feel like if a company has a high switching cost (like having to pay the recruiter a bunch upfront to get another direct hire) they'll be more likely to give me a fair chance.

I've had a few interviews for permanent gigs since I was fired, so while I don't have much experience, I don't think my prospects are dismal enough to do CTH again, unless it's like my dream position.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Their contract with the recruiter probably had a close where they only pay if you last more than X, or pro rata thereof or whatnot. Seems like an obvious feature, otherwise the recruiters would just pump whatever candidates through.

Getting fired or asked to resign sucks big time, and it's normal that you were down in the dumps for a while. It's basically an rear end in a top hat handing you a giant engraved plate saying "you suck, gently caress off", so obviously it's hard. Just remember that it came from an rear end in a top hat.

Most people I know have been let go at one point or another, no one ever takes it well. Don't beat yourself up over it, take a few weeks and move on. If you find it hard to move on, get help. Getting fired is a perfectly good reason to go into depression or some kind of funk.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Getting fired or asked to resign sucks big time, and it's normal that you were down in the dumps for a while. It's basically an rear end in a top hat handing you a giant engraved plate saying "you suck, gently caress off", so obviously it's hard. Just remember that it came from an rear end in a top hat.

Thanks. I got fired like 3 weeks ago now. I was mostly feeling better last week, and I feel a lot better now that I've had a few more interviews that went well. No offers yet, but one interviewer sent me to a friend at another firm, since I wasn't what he really needed but he thought I was a cool dude.

The funny thing is, when they were firing me, they told me they've had a lot of people who didn't work out in this position. They gave me no training and expected me to do the job perfectly on their house-made Win XP software that was basically still in beta and no one actually knew how to use. Both common sense and standard management theory says if a lot of people are failing in a role, maybe it's not all the apparently qualified people that are the problem.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Hi I'm new to Linkedin and had a couple questions;

1. I was home-schooled my entire childhood should I put that on my profile?

2. What is a good way to show both the staffing agency you were employed by and the company you performed services for?

Thanks.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

posh spaz posted:

Thanks. I got fired like 3 weeks ago now. I was mostly feeling better last week, and I feel a lot better now that I've had a few more interviews that went well. No offers yet, but one interviewer sent me to a friend at another firm, since I wasn't what he really needed but he thought I was a cool dude.

The funny thing is, when they were firing me, they told me they've had a lot of people who didn't work out in this position. They gave me no training and expected me to do the job perfectly on their house-made Win XP software that was basically still in beta and no one actually knew how to use. Both common sense and standard management theory says if a lot of people are failing in a role, maybe it's not all the apparently qualified people that are the problem.

Some people just refuse to believe unicorns don't exist. Maybe it's because they live in another reality.

But yeah, totally normal to be down in the dumps. Since you have an MBA though, I feel obliged to say this: when you do land a job, please remember what it feels like to be jerked around, outright lied to, and given unreasonable expectations without any support, by management. There's a reason MBAs are stereotyped. Just sayin ;)

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Che Delilas posted:

Since you have an MBA though, I feel obliged to say this: when you do land a job, please remember what it feels like to be jerked around, outright lied to, and given unreasonable expectations without any support, by management. There's a reason MBAs are stereotyped. Just sayin ;)

Oh man, I totally get it. Hopefully I won't go mad with power.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

awesomebrah posted:

Hi I'm new to Linkedin and had a couple questions;

2. What is a good way to show both the staffing agency you were employed by and the company you performed services for?

Thanks.
1. Unless you're working in education, I can't see how it would be relevant, and in that case, I have a hard time imagining it would help.

2. The staffing agency had nothing to do with your experience actually working. They can be references when requested, but otherwise they don't really factor in, IMO.

VVV Fair enough, though if your experience is as "contractor" or "consultant" I would imagine that's evident.

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 8, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KnifeWrench posted:

2. The staffing agency had nothing to do with your experience actually working. They can be references when requested, but otherwise they don't really factor in, IMO.

A lot of serial consultants and contractors do this to explain why you had "fifteen jobs" in one or two years.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

awesomebrah posted:

Thanks.

1. No, it's not relevant, and probably good to err on the side of caution by not mentioning it. If you have a college degree there's not a whole lot of reasons to list anything prior than that anyway.

2. Don't worry about this. I've worked several (full time) contract jobs for <1 year durations and I simply list them as separate positions by the company I worked for. If someone sees that and questions the short duration of any of them I just tell them they were contract positions and as that's completely acceptable and normal it has never been an issue.

Pretty much this:

Che Delilas posted:

By the way, if you're worried about a bunch of short jobs on your resume looking bad, keep in mind that working a bunch of contracts is not the same as job hopping. It's contract work. By definition, they're going to be shorter jobs. Just put "Contract" somewhere when you're listing that employer and it'll be fine.

Also though, I have to say, regarding this:

Che Delilas posted:

You should always, always assume that "contract to hire" means "contract." It costs a business nothing to list a job as "contract to hire" and it will attract more candidates that they can choose from. If a recruiter is telling you that a contract to hire will be permanent if you do a good job, they are lying to you. There is never a guarantee. Never.

While this is technically true, the way this is phrased makes it sound way more sketchy and iffy than it actually is. In the DC metro area (again, usual caveat applies that this may differ in your region), contract-to-hire is not only common, it's the norm. There are a huge number of recruiting agencies active in this region and if a potential employer uses them to source candidates, chances are that it will be a contract-to-hire arrangement.

I share the distrust of these arrangements (not the least because I had a bad experience myself while working on one of them) but the way Che characterizes them here overreaches a little bit, imo. Sure, they don't really give the potential future employee any leverage, vis a vis a direct hire placement--which by the way, given the nature of at-will employment, can be just as tenuous as a contract position--but generally a company that makes this type of arrangement with a recruiting agency has every intention of transitioning an employee at the end of that period unless there is some major issue present.

I would not turn down an offer purely because it was contract to hire. I may have a preference for direct hire, and will occasionally relay that to a recruiter I'm working with at one time or another just in case there is some wiggle room with their client, but it isn't necessarily the borderline scam job that it sounds like here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

1. No, it's not relevant, and probably good to err on the side of caution by not mentioning it. If you have a college degree there's not a whole lot of reasons to list anything prior than that anyway.

2. Don't worry about this. I've worked several (full time) contract jobs for <1 year durations and I simply list them as separate positions by the company I worked for. If someone sees that and questions the short duration of any of them I just tell them they were contract positions and as that's completely acceptable and normal it has never been an issue.

Pretty much this:

Also though, I have to say, regarding this:

While this is technically true, the way this is phrased makes it sound way more sketchy and iffy than it actually is. In the DC metro area (again, usual caveat applies that this may differ in your region), contract-to-hire is not only common, it's the norm. There are a huge number of recruiting agencies active in this region and if a potential employer uses them to source candidates, chances are that it will be a contract-to-hire arrangement.

I share the distrust of these arrangements (not the least because I had a bad experience myself while working on one of them) but the way Che characterizes them here overreaches a little bit, imo. Sure, they don't really give the potential future employee any leverage, vis a vis a direct hire placement--which by the way, given the nature of at-will employment, can be just as tenuous as a contract position--but generally a company that makes this type of arrangement with a recruiting agency has every intention of transitioning an employee at the end of that period unless there is some major issue present.

I would not turn down an offer purely because it was contract to hire. I may have a preference for direct hire, and will occasionally relay that to a recruiter I'm working with at one time or another just in case there is some wiggle room with their client, but it isn't necessarily the borderline scam job that it sounds like here.

Seattle is lousy with contract jobs as well.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's fair, I imagine it varies wildly based on the region, and probably industry as well. And yeah, I didn't mean to imply that you have job security with a permanent position in the US, since you don't at all, but at least companies advertising permanent positions are generally after permanent employees. What I know about a company that's offering a CTH position (at least in my industry which is software development), is that they have a specific project that they need to bring people in to complete. After that, maybe they have other ideas and if I impress them enough they'll want me to stick around to work on those. But I can't count on that.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014
With a permanent position, in a bigger company, there's also at least the chance the company will have internal procedures for discipline and termination. Like, they'll give you a verbal, before they write you up, and fire you if you keep loving up. So everyone in that situation is aware of the problem, the employee is ostensibly given a chance to correct it, and fired if they can't. That's not much, but it's quite a bit more job security than I had at my CTH job.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm still not exactly sure how to get recruiters to work for me. I have an a comprehensive linkin profile and nearly 500 connections. However most of them aren't recruiters. I'm in Urban Planning/Economic Development/Energy Planning. So far I've been literally typing "[profession] recruiter"

Is there a better way?

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'm still not exactly sure how to get recruiters to work for me. I have an a comprehensive linkin profile and nearly 500 connections. However most of them aren't recruiters. I'm in Urban Planning/Economic Development/Energy Planning. So far I've been literally typing "[profession] recruiter"

Is there a better way?

Are you in relevant professional groups?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

meanieface posted:

Are you in relevant professional groups?

I am in around 35 groups related to my professional field. Should I shoot for more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is this a field where people typically use external recruiters?

Mine isn't, and the last recruiter I dealt with made a dog's breakfast out of a relatively simple career move. I thank my lucky star that I'd specifically instructed them not to do anything with the employer I'm currently with, as I'm pretty sure they've soured the two companies they introduced me to.

• Locked thread