Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

The best career advice I wish I had listened to:

Find the thing that you are most passionate about in your life, then find the thing you are second most passionate about. Make the second one your career, the first one your hobby.

That's why I fly airplanes for a career and dick around on the internet in my free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So now that oil prices per barrel have fallen, 100LL prices for GA will fall too, right??!!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Captain Apollo posted:

So now that oil prices per barrel have fallen, 100LL prices for GA will fall too, right??!!

Paid $4.38/g yesterday. I think I've paid more for 93 auto gas in the past year.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
One down, two to go :woop: conditional offer with ZW with a January 19th class, just gotta get enough time to meet mins.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Butt Reactor posted:

One down, two to go :woop: conditional offer with ZW with a January 19th class, just gotta get enough time to meet mins.

Outstanding! Having grown up near DCA I would love to start my career with ZW

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Air Whiskey is good people. Congrats

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Skywest is giving a job talk at our university.

Things they ask on interviews:

Recite 91.175C verbatim.

Draw and explain a jet engine.

Why do jets have swept wings?

Will edit as I get more

edit1: Really hammered in that no one is perfect for the airline job. There are things about you and your personality that you need to really grow and develop (friendliness, ability to work with others) and others you also need to keep if you already have them (ability to reason by yourself, take command of situations when needed)

I asked a lot of questions about the 'right' people for airline jobs. Without hesitation they said there is no single one pilot or personality type thats meant for airline work, but it can certainly be developed.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 6, 2014

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Awesome! How does them turning down the DL contract affect you (if at all)?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Butt Reactor posted:

Congrats. Good luck on the next two. How far from the minimums are you?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

AWSEFT posted:

I'm wondering that too. What did they tell you about the future of the airline beyond next year?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

For what it's worth AAG is still looking for companies to fly some more 175's. AWAC is a prime candidate for the next round of airplanes if talks at Envoy break down again. There's an envoy MEC meeting with the company occurring literally as I type this so we should know more on the next 48 hours.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Good luck, I hope they learn from Delta's mistake with Endeavor that the regional pilot groups are not as expendable as they thought.

If they decide to bid the flying out, at least Air Whiskey is a more respectable pilot group than some others. Btw, XJT is getting some more Eagle flying (ERJ) but the general consensus in our private forums is that it sucks that we are taking your flying, but hey at least its not going to a bottom feeder, we all voted no together right :shrug:

Animal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 6, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yeah, what happened between Delta and Air Wisconsin? I was shopping sample itineraries last night for a conference my mom will be going to in the Spring and saw Air Wisconsin listed as the operating carrier on one of the segments, but now it's not happening?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yeah, what happened between Delta and Air Wisconsin? I was shopping sample itineraries last night for a conference my mom will be going to in the Spring and saw Air Wisconsin listed as the operating carrier on one of the segments, but now it's not happening?

It fell through, Delta probably tried to make them take unprofitable flying, and just like the pilot groups, some managements are starting to get tired of the race to the bottom.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Two Kings posted:

I'm wondering that too. What did they tell you about the future of the airline beyond next year?
At this point your guess is as good as anyone.

The incentive program is interesting and I think they'll run with it for a little while and reassess. It does offer new FOs a chance to make more than other regionals and senior FOs to recoupe some of the lost wages from bankruptcy. However, there is still major stagnation (and shrinkage) and the consensus is that it isn't all about the pay. The pilot's want career progression and while FOs can now interview at Delta, with a 50-60% historical success rate, is $30k extra for 2 years worth the lost seniority somewhere else? Remember, we are talking about 8 year regional FOs (who are currently one of the worse paid in the industry), some of who have been downgraded, being asked to stick around another 2 years and be 10 year FOs (Comair anyone?). November they lost 47 FOs (71 total) with a majority going to PSA. I doubt you'll see those kind of numbers long term but people are still leaving for PSA in December despite the retention program. If that doesn't prove it isn't about the money I don't know what can (First year PSA FO $24/h vs Four plus year Endeavor FO $37h).

Animal posted:

It fell through, Delta probably tried to make them take unprofitable flying, and just like the pilot groups, some managements are starting to get tired of the race to the bottom.
This is my guess as well or they really wanted some career progression of their own (SSP/Preferential interview/etc) and Delta wouldn't go for it. They are still insanely cocky.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So I guess Delta will go find some 727s to run those routes or something?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

So I guess Delta will go find some 727s to run those routes or something?

717s and they already found 'em at AirTran. I think it's the start of a trend we'll see more and more of over the next few years. I hope...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They already got all those 717s in service. In fact don't they nearly have every MD-90 and 717 in the world currently in service?

They'll have to go back further for their new old short haul planes now. Maybe they still have their DC-9-50s laying around.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

hobbesmaster posted:

They already got all those 717s in service. In fact don't they nearly have every MD-90 and 717 in the world currently in service?

They'll have to go back further for their new old short haul planes now. Maybe they still have their DC-9-50s laying around.

They still have 717s to come. The entire 717 family at AirTran will switch teams at ATL and (eventually) be one big happy at Delta, because they took them all (and I guess WN had to spend some money to modify them to DL standards as part of the deal).

They're up to 65 MD-90s (started at either 15 or 16), taking a couple extra for parts. Looks like there are only 7 still active which don't belong to Delta.

http://www.planespotters.net/Production_List/McDonnell-Douglas/MD-90/index.php?sort=status

AWSEFT posted:

However, there is still major stagnation (and shrinkage) and the consensus is that it isn't all about the pay. The pilot's want career progression and while FOs can now interview at Delta, with a 50-60% historical success rate, is $30k extra for 2 years worth the lost seniority somewhere else? Remember, we are talking about 8 year regional FOs (who are currently one of the worse paid in the industry), some of who have been downgraded, being asked to stick around another 2 years and be 10 year FOs (Comair anyone?). November they lost 47 FOs (71 total) with a majority going to PSA. I doubt you'll see those kind of numbers long term but people are still leaving for PSA in December despite the retention program. If that doesn't prove it isn't about the money I don't know what can (First year PSA FO $24/h vs Four plus year Endeavor FO $37h).

Better not tell ALPA that.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Better not tell ALPA that.

They have more leverage now than they've ever had and they blew it. This retention program was half assed and throw together at the last minute when PSA started sucking them dry. Proof:

ALPA posted:

...the MEC and company are actively developing a Delta interview program for first officers which will commence interviews shortly. Successful candidates would receive a CJO contingent on a finite term of service with the company prior to movement to Delta. The parties expect to finalize the program in the coming weeks.

This program is going to help save a few (last I heard was 4) but it isn't going to stop the trend. The trend will only stop when pilots run out of places to go. They put a big bandaid on a bullet hole.

Edit: If they really wanted to save Endeavor or cared about the pilot's well being and career progression, they'd have upped the pay or stapled the list already.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 8, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Envoy got a TA last night. The general consensus is that the company wants the vote to close before the end of the month

Prediction: it'll pass with ~60-70% voting yes

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 8, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah that'll pass. Oh well. At least you guys put up a fight instead of immediately bending over like others.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I'll probably end up voting yes on it. I voted no on the first TA but I'm not going to fall on my sword again. It really gets my blood boiling though. We were sooooo close to finally making some meaningful changes that would have a positive affect on all regional and mainline pilots.

I hope I get some work gloves for Christmas, I don't want to get any blisters from working the whipsaw.

Edit: This will be my last bitter shitpost for a while, sorry for stinking up the tread for the past few weeks. Good luck to those of you with interviews soon.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 8, 2014

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Rickety Cricket posted:

Outstanding! Having grown up near DCA I would love to start my career with ZW
I'll make sure to put in a good word for you if I work there and you decide to apply ;) DCA is definitely a domicile I would have no problem living in.

Animal posted:

Air Whiskey is good people. Congrats

KodiakRS posted:

Congrats. Good luck on the next two. How far from the minimums are you?
Thanks. Right now I'm ~60 hours away from meeting the FULL ATP mins for total time and X/C time. Also short a few multi hours but since I'm going to fly a friend's C310 for awhile, I figure that will kill multiple birds with multiple aircraft stones

AWSEFT posted:

Two Kings posted:

CBJSprague24 posted:

Some of you already guessed the correct answer that AWAC didn't like it. And considering the history DL has treating some of their regional partners *cough ENDEAVOUR *cough cough* it might be for the better. The DCA chief pilot was helping with interviews and told us during the company presentation that as line pilots, they were pretty confident that AWAC isn't going away soon. Reasons being:
    -Redoing aircraft interiors over the next couple years
    -Loaned some more money to USAir/AMR a couple years ago so they are pretty much obligated into renewing our contract after it expires next year
    -Delta deal isn't completely dead, they may renew talks after New Year's
    -Own about half of the CRJ fleet and have good lease terms on the rest, so they're not hemorrhaging money like some other regionals out there.
There's still talk of relatively quick upgrade (~2.5 years) since attrition is moving at a good clip (10 CAs a month, some FOs going to majors as well). Considering how well the interview went and the CJO, I'm most likely cancelling the PSA interview and boning up on SkyWest instead. That way if SKYW doesn't go as planned, at least I have a good fallback to use! If anyone is interested I did post a gouge up on Aviation Interviews, it's Dec. 4 one to look for.

Also Kodiak, thanks for the input. I really hope you get somewhere with your current employer and TA. If not, well, we had a Piedmont guy in the interview, he hated it so much he was elated that he got hired at ZW. So maybe the grass is greener on the other side?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Honestly envoy is dead TA or no TA.
They are not going to be able to staff with that crap sandwich TA.
So you either lose airplanes from not being able to staff them, or lose them because of no TA.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Slaughter posted:

Honestly envoy is dead TA or no TA.
They are not going to be able to staff with that crap sandwich TA.
So you either lose airplanes from not being able to staff them, or lose them because of no TA.

Yep. Envoy already has 80+ airplanes that are scheduled to be transferred to other carriers over the next 24 months. This TA will offset less than half of those losses. The loss of aircraft will probably match the pilot attrition rate.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Anybody else in here that also posts on Airliners.net's forums? They used to be a decent place to talk the business of aviation and keep up with current events, but it's gotten to where every thread there rapidly devolves into a pissing match.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody else in here that also posts on Airliners.net's forums? They used to be a decent place to talk the business of aviation and keep up with current events, but it's gotten to where every thread there rapidly devolves into a pissing match.

Nope. I avoid it for that reason.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Lol London airspace is closed due to arc error

http://m.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-london-30321231?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I got my first flight in the T-45 today, and whatever I did in my past life that let me get to this point, it couldn't have been enough. This thing is great.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Awesome. Are you flying out of NAS Kingsville? If so I will probably talk to your occasionally when you come over to Corpus.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Welp my IFR check ride is scheduled for the 23rd, unless one of the other half dozen DPEs I called and left messages with call me back and have something earlier available. :toot:

tenaciousvigilance
Sep 29, 2014
This may have been posted before, but I'm shopping for a new headset. The $100 ASA headset I began with is giving me some problems and is useless in a 210.

Anyone have any recommendations for a comfortable headset that cancels noise very well in a higher performance aircraft? Budget is $400-500.

simble
May 11, 2004

A lot swear by these. They're not ANR, but if you're flying in loud things without AC these are nice and light:

https://www.quiettechnologies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=1uco8cfl38rj0idkhipfh7p0i3

I love my Lighspeed Sierras (the slightly less feature-full version of the Zulus). They're slightly over your budget, but if you want ANR, I think these are the right way to go. Also Lightspeed's customer service is fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Lightspeed-SIERRA-ANR-Aviation-Headset/dp/B003VSARXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418598731&sr=8-1

Prepare for a lot of religious arguments.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I just scored some Bose a20s for 600 bucks.

Check classified forums on pilot forums such as:
BeechTalk.com
Mooney space.com
Pilotsofamerica.com

And a lot of others. Helll Bose X's are going for 400 at this point!

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
doing the circuits on the bush pilot forums. http://vimeo.com/100835454 It's a fantastic watch, pretty interesting and looks set to be a good series.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AWSEFT posted:

Nope. I avoid it for that reason.

A discussion over the last bits of Delta's MEM hub being pulled down devolved into an argument as to why Nashville is a better tourist destination than Memphis.

Great stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Speaking of Memphis, I'm surprised Cincinnati is still a focus city after the merger.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

e.pilot posted:

Welp my IFR check ride is scheduled for the 23rd, unless one of the other half dozen DPEs I called and left messages with call me back and have something earlier available. :toot:

And they did, scheduled for Wednesday!

Excitedly nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poise
Jul 28, 2006
e: decided against it

Poise fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 16, 2014

• Locked thread