Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have a spreadsheet but I did do an estimate of how much ice time I've used since I started skating in September 2011, and it's about 320 hours. :qq:

I got a long loving way to go if the common estimate of 10,000 hours to become a pro is in any way accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I bought things.

Finally caved.

If you are thinking about Makos, go to the pro shop and ask the guy to bake them for like 5 minutes before you put them on. Makes it a completely different skate. Like a glove. A foot glove. A foot glove with blades.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love to try a pair of Makos and see if their ability to reshape in a bake finally ends my aches and pains forever, I just can't see a skater of my ability benefiting from a skate that high end. I also couldn't live with myself if it ended up not being an improvement.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

D C posted:

I bought things.

Finally caved.

If you are thinking about Makos, go to the pro shop and ask the guy to bake them for like 5 minutes before you put them on. Makes it a completely different skate. Like a glove. A foot glove. A foot glove with blades.

The last time a guy in the locker room took a picture in that pose, the result was very different.

Congrats on the new skates.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

xzzy posted:

I don't have a spreadsheet but I did do an estimate of how much ice time I've used since I started skating in September 2011, and it's about 320 hours. :qq:

I got a long loving way to go if the common estimate of 10,000 hours to become a pro is in any way accurate.

I just added these to my spreadsheet (apparently I spend about 50 cents per minute of ice time) and am disappointed to see that I've only accrued about 60 hours of ice time. Missing all of 2012 with a knee injury really put a damper on my skating reps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

No, I wasn't bored. Why do you ask?

http://i.imgur.com/8d5Hc9u.png

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 4, 2014

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Holy gently caress you spergy tryhards

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shut up you know you're jealous.

That spreadsheet is awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Holy gently caress you spergy tryhards

I'm the hardest tryer out there!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Shut up you know you're jealous.

That spreadsheet is awesome.

Well, other than cell Q41 that is... :(

e: VVV That's the current season. It'll be a 25-game season once it's over. I just updated it with the most recent game played.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 4, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, yeah. $600 for 12 games is holy poo poo material.

I paid $120 for 12 games this fall.. and ten of that was extra to chip in for the beer money.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
If you guys want to puke so far this season I've paid $146 per game.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

bgreman posted:

Ice times in these leagues is mostly all after 930 pm. I don't know if earlier ice times are more expensive, but I know that in general, renting ice (for pickups, etc) has gotten more expensive in the last few years.
Prime time ice is a lot more expensive than late night/early morning ice.

The team I coach rents ice within a half hour of NYC. We pay just over $400/hr for an average weekday afternoon slot, around $450/hr for a Friday night or Saturday prime time slot, and around $275/hr for a pre-6 AM slot. I imagine Sunday night slots and the other crap ice men's leagues get are closer to the latter than the former.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 5, 2014

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Think I've got a touch of the hot brain from getting hit in my game Monday :doh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sunday nights are crap and Saturday nights are prime time?

Which one of us is living in bizarro land? I've seen teammates almost come to blows over the threat of being relegated to playing Saturday nights.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, we have a much harder time filling the bench for Saturday games than Friday or Monday.

Sundays are 50/50.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sellouts posted:

Which one of us is living in bizarro land? I've seen teammates almost come to blows over the threat of being relegated to playing Saturday nights.

Sorry, Saturday prime time is the afternoon when we're talking ice slots. I coach teenagers, not a men's league.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Most people I know prefer to play Saturday nights because at least they don't have to work the next day when playing the late-late games.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I love playing Saturday nights...it's a hard on a non-hockey-playing SO, though.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

Bootcha posted:

Most people I know prefer to play Saturday nights because at least they don't have to work the next day when playing the late-late games.

Yeah. I'll take a Saturday night game anytime over the 11PM and later Sunday night games. All the better if the Saturday game is done by 9PM or 10PM so you can go out afterwards.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I prefer Friday nights since I do more social stuff on Saturdays but judging by attendance when I've had Friday games that's not necessarily widespread.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I love playing Saturday nights...it's a hard on a non-hockey-playing SO, though.

Reason #438 why everyone should have hockey-playing SOs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife doesn't play, but she loves that I do play.

She's pretty much the best, because she'll schedule everything around my ice time.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

lizardking posted:

Yeah. I'll take a Saturday night game anytime over the 11PM and later Sunday night games. All the better if the Saturday game is done by 9PM or 10PM so you can go out afterwards.

I've had good luck with catching a show before a 10:15 game, too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Aww yeah, new stick day!

Nexus 4000. 77 flex, P92 curve. Cut it about an inch. This will solve all my goal scoring and lack of talent problems.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lizardking posted:

11pm is a pretty different issue entirely.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My games all start at 10:40 SAT-TUE

By the time I get home, showered and ready for bed its 2am. Much easier on Saturdays, really difficult on sundays, mondays or tuesdays.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Man I thought I had it bad when our rink tacked on an extra $10 bucks per hour last year bringing it to $235/hr. Sounds like some of you guys have it much worse off than that. Also, ice rental is the same price across the board, Monday to Sunday so I've really got it made. I believe high school and the rink run youth hockey come before all other buyers but compared to some of you guys having to pay a premium depending on the hour or day I'll take what I got.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Finally scored the goal of my dreams on Friday night. We were on the PK and the man from the box came back to the bench when it expired. I jumped on the ice just as my team got possession, and my winger sent it right to me at the center dot. I skated in with so much space, looked up and saw the 5 hole was open. Snapped it low and goalie dropped into butterfly, but it was too late because I saw it was in the back of the net.

Awesome feeling to get that goal after going through years of barely scoring. I now have 3 goals on the season, and that was definitely the sweetest one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Acethomas did I just see you get destroyed on a breakaway?

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
Witnessed my first goalie meltdown on Saturday before the scrimmage. Too many people taking shots at the same time during warmups. He lost his poo poo and stormed off. Which is a really hard thing to do on ice skates.

*glides away angrily*

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Played tonight for the first time in years, about 2.5 hrs of scrimmage hockey. Scored a few goals and could've had a lot more if I wasn't hot garbage/wasn't completely out of shape. Also my entire body is agony, does this ever stop or is it just because I'm not in high school anymore?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It gets better, just keep skating and you'll get some endurance built up. Lift some weights if you want to cure it faster.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

Acethomas did I just see you get destroyed on a breakaway?

I didn't have a breakaway tonight, I play pretty conservative D in Rookie so they don't toss me. I was 39 on the red team at Westminster. I did take a nasty shot to the knee. What was the play?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You have a doppelgänger at Torrance.

Soal_Fish
Jul 20, 2004

yes its Soal not Soul but oh well
Hey Edmonton: if there are any beginners that want to learn to play, like me, I've registered for a beginner program that starts in January (the section based out of the Terwillegar Rec Centre). If anyone else is interested then let me know, there's a discount if you can get a group of 3 or more!

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

sellouts posted:

You have a doppelgänger at Torrance.

Nitramster and I actually just finished this season and are looking for a new rookie/copper/etc league in LA since we don't want to have to drive to Westminster anymore. If you hear of anything let me know.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm out more towards IE/SGV but will also be looking for rookie leagues near LA soon. I've got two other friends that I've been doing sticktime and pickup games with for the past few months and the three of us will be looking for our first league shortly.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i pulled my back three weeks ago working out because i'm a big dummy. a week later i re-aggravated it moving poo poo around the house. yesterday i was feeling good and thought, "skating won't hurt." aaaand i pulled my back tightening my skates.

don't think i'm gonna be skating for a long while. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So I tend to blame my performance on my sticks. After 2 really bad games of coughing up the puck that turned directly into a scoring chances on my team, I yanked my old lumber out of the closet. Only goal against I was on the ice for was a penalty kill, and I broke up at least 6 scoring chances.