Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

SedanChair posted:

This is it in a nutshell. It's good and progress to see people cop out like this and look weak, over and over again.

You should really think about why you frame morality in such strongly masculinzed terms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

"Nest of niggers" is alliteration too. Is there another definition I don't know about for gook or are you really using 'poetry' as an excuse to use slurs?

gently caress this guy. "GUYS I REALLY CARE ABOUT ACTING LIKE I CARE BUT WHATS THE BIG DEAL IF I USE SLURS?"

We need an emote of a squirrel leaping on a peanut for when a "Oooohhhhhh I got you I'm telling!!!" Derail happens like this.

That or maybe Phoenix Wright or the trap card kid?

You sure told me with that adhom.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hepatizon posted:

You should really think about why you frame morality in such strongly masculinzed terms.

Self righteousness is still seated in the lurking spectre of patriarchy within his reptilian brain.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Also nutshell is an amazing song by Alice in Chains not a sucking thing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Leftists don't get it, now lemme pretend non-leftists get it!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nonsense posted:

Leftists don't get it, now lemme pretend non-leftists get it!

South Park did a brilliant take on this.

The literally named Token black kid was mad at attempts for sympathy and being told "I get it" from Stan, a white kid, because his father said friend of the family on t.v.

When Stan says "I get it - I don't get it." Everything is okay.

:smugjones:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

OK, to sum the last page up:

1. Privilege is a very important concept and definitely not broken, even if very frequently misused as a cudgel. Nothing is wrong here, move along.
2. People who criticized the concept got it all wrong. We won't deign to tell you why, it's your job to educate yourselves and defend our position for us.
3. Why are you so interested in criticizing our theory if not to hinder our efforts? Who are you to tell us we are wrong? CHECK YOUR PRIVILEGE WHITE CIS SCUM!!!

I expected this won't be so overt in the topic about an essay that describes and criticizes exactly this behavior, but can't say I'm very surprised.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
I don't think privileges are something that can be easily "given up" ('cept maybe, idk, "wealth privilege"?). So if an indignant tumblrista demands you do that, you can probably safely ignore them as they don't know gently caress all about privilege theory themselves. Not beyond the "some people have it, others don't" level anyway.

Isn't privilege, as far as theory goes, typically assigned to a person by society at large, and not something they control?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't even know what the gently caress anyone is arguing for anymore but I'm pretty sure if I heard someone say "gaggle of gooks" in real life I would be kind of shocked unless they were like 60+ years old.

poo poo's racist yo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Space Whale posted:

We need an emote of a squirrel leaping on a peanut for when a "Oooohhhhhh I got you I'm telling!!!" Derail happens like this.

That or maybe Phoenix Wright or the trap card kid?

You sure told me with that adhom.

Ad hom is only a falacy when it's not relevant to a discussion. Similar to the word derail actually. Your inability to understand why you shouldn't use that phrase is highly relevant to this discussion.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
The only true privilege is wealth.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

murphyslaw posted:

I don't think privileges are something that can be easily "given up" ('cept maybe, idk, "wealth privilege"?). So if an indignant tumblrista demands you do that, you can probably safely ignore them as they don't know gently caress all about privilege theory themselves. Not beyond the "some people have it, others don't" level anyway.

Isn't privilege, as far as theory goes, typically assigned to a person by society at large, and not something they control?

Correct. That's why privilege is such an insidious thing. Demanding its relinquishment is equivalent to demanding that you get savagely beaten by cops or become voluntarily unemployed with no support system. Everyone should have the privileges of safely interacting with the police and a stable source of livable income.

From last page, just noticed it:

goatse.cx posted:

I know! That's precisely the problem! Privilege theory prescribes no goal nor plan to combat inequality systematically. It is absolutely useless and actively harmful to unity and cohesion.

But it does, and this refocuses back into the topic in the OP. Privilege theory makes it unequivocally clear that minority voices and perspectives need to be empowered if we're well-meaning about progress and solidarity. "Universal" analyses often inadvertently create action which disproportionately benefits majority groups. That's what "checking your privilege" meant— having the consciousness necessary to realize that your own perspective is insufficient for understanding the lived experiences of oppressed people.

Ormi fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 8, 2014

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Bonus points to the thread for the people seriously delusional enough to believe MLK's efforts to reach the better natures of the 'privileged' and motivate them to become better people in any way compare to radical 'If we call them all Shitlords enough they'll change everything to the way we like it' approach.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Here for an argument huh?

Sorry, this is abuse.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

Ad hom is only a falacy when it's not relevant to a discussion. Similar to the word derail actually. Your inability to understand why you shouldn't use that phrase is highly relevant to this discussion.

I completely understand your logic and reasoning. I think it's bullshit.

I'm not a kid being scolded or someone arguing over anything remotely objective. Don't present it as such.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

The Snark posted:

Bonus points to the thread for the people seriously delusional enough to believe MLK's efforts to reach the better natures of the 'privileged' and motivate them to become better people in any way compare to radical 'If we call them all Shitlords enough they'll change everything to the way we like it' approach.

I hate that these people make an argument that I say they are making. GRrrrrr.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

UP AND ADAM posted:

I hate that these people make an argument that I say they are making. GRrrrrr.

Radicals are just like MLK, how dare you tarnish my comparison of my noble deeds to his!

(On a more serious note I will grant I am guilty in my previous post of reducing other arguments to a strawman. That was bad. But there really IS no comparison. He killed 'em with kindness in the sense 'an enemy made friend is an enemy no more' a lot of people here seem to forget that second part in favor of shrill righteous indignation. Could still learn something from Mr. King.)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Space Whale posted:

I'm not a kid being scolded or someone arguing over anything remotely objective. Don't present it as such.

I'm not presenting it as that. I'm pointing out that you having no interest in engaging in any real discourse. You drop a phrase like the super popular and common "gaggle of gooks" idiom, which google can only find 101 results for, and then say this:

Space Whale posted:

Rape is bad, grape is a fruit with rape as the last 4 letters.

Slope is racist, and a concept of geometry and topology.

Gook is racist. Gaggle of gooks is a loving alliteration.

This kind of poo poo I really don't give an iota of a gently caress about anymore. Don't waste your time.

You don't give a poo poo about discussion or privelege you just want to bitch about leftists while casually dropping slurs so you can then play the upstanding citizen being harassed by the PC police when called on it. Or you genuinely believe what you said in the post I quoted above and you are beyond the ability to look at yourself critically at all. Either way everyone in this thread would be best served by putting you on ignore. You might have well said someone was trying to "Jew me out of my money."

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

Looks like you're the problem for assuming strength is masculine.

Space Whale posted:

Sorry, this is abuse.

You're worth it! Never stop telling yourself that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The phrase "cop out" is offensive to the many upstading officers who have died defending civillians.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Apparently you are, because the adult thing to say would be "You're right, gook is a racial slur and I probably shouldn't use it" rather than digging your heels in like an obstinate pre-teen arguing with his mother.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Guys prejudice is real and has real effects and I have certainly perpetuated it actively by strolling around blurting out "gook" but it's important that you change your approach because I am feeling very sensitive and under attack right now

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Space Whale posted:

I respect your efforts to encourage a more rational approach to progressive issues that might actually result in positive change rather than just excessively trying the patience of those willing to listen, but trying to defend the use of the term 'gooks' locks you down into a silly and indefensible position. So you could have chosen your words better! No one's perfect.

Meanwhile some of these goons are getting aroused over finally maybe sort of seeing a racist in their midst, on whom it would be open season to work out their frustrations on.
(I don't believe you are one any more than everyone else in the thread, for the record. Just frustrated.)

The Snark fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 8, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ormi posted:

But it does, and this refocuses back into the topic in the OP. Privilege theory makes it unequivocally clear that minority voices and perspectives need to be empowered if we're well-meaning about progress and solidarity. "Universal" analyses often inadvertently create action which disproportionately benefits majority groups. That's what "checking your privilege" meant— having the consciousness necessary to realize that your own perspective is insufficient for understanding the lived experiences of oppressed people.

To what end is all this being done? Framed this way it sounds like the whole point, to put it in vulgar terms, is to make the disempowered individual feel good about themselves.

That's not terrible, but in the grand scheme it seems about as important as privileged folk feeling bad about their privilege. I.E. useless for concrete change

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Looks like you're the problem for assuming strength is masculine.

Why is strength good?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Debate & Discussion: Problematizing Pony Privilege

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

The Snark posted:

I respect your efforts to encourage a more rational approach to progressive issues that might actually result in positive change rather than just excessively trying the patience of those willing to listen, but trying to defend the use of the term 'gooks' locks you down into a silly and indefensible position. So you could have chosen your words better! No one's perfect.

Meanwhile some of these goons are getting aroused over finally maybe sort of seeing a racist in their midst, on whom it would be open season to work out their frustrations on.

The point is that it's about making someone backpedal and using the sight against them indefinitely, or to drag it up whenever they please, or need it.

I'm not advocating racism. I'm also not stupid. Apology just results in chumming the water, and they focus on tearing someone down for the slight and don't bother with anything else. It's a shut down. It's chaff. It's running interference. I'm not going to just let everything derail without pointing it out, since its an example of the nonsense I'm sick of.

I'm not a whipping boy. Address that poo poo in a p.m. and leave the thread to the actual subject matter.

I do like how slope is still o.k. though.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Space Whale posted:

The point is that it's about making someone backpedal and using the sight against them indefinitely, or to drag it up whenever they please, or need it.

I'm not advocating racism. I'm also not stupid. Apology just results in chumming the water, and they focus on tearing someone down for the slight and don't bother with anything else. It's a shut down. It's chaff. It's running interference. I'm not going to just let everything derail without pointing it out, since its an example of the nonsense I'm sick of.

I'm not a whipping boy. Address that poo poo in a p.m. and leave the thread to the actual subject matter.

Gook and slope are both not okay and you should stops saying them, and also stop whining when people note that you should stop saying gook, you mook.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Obdicut posted:

Gook and slope are both not okay and you should stops saying them, and also stop whining when people note that you should stop saying gook, you mook.

So from now on we say "rise over run" where we would say "s___e"? Or derivative? Grade?

Or is context actually relevant?

:q:

Gosh it's almost like the idiomatic phrase "gaggle of gooks" is totally distinct from "g__k" in isolation, or something!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Space Whale posted:

Alas, I did not edit in time to be clear.

You're giving the impression that this gets to you. That, I fear, is chumming the water a lot more than saying 'Yeah I goofed.' Besides, I do appreciate something this derail brought up. I've never heard slope being used as anything but as describing an incline. Gook, however, I have never heard in any other context.

Not that I've heard it very often anyway. The sort of word I'd expect to hear used only by someone's stubborn WW2 Vet Granpappy.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Space Whale posted:

So from now on we say "rise over run" where we would say "s___e"? Or derivative? Grade?

No, slope isn't okay to use as an insult. That's why 'gaggle of gooks' is lovely, because 'gook' only has one common meaning, and that's a racial slur.

How can you not be comprehending this? Are you just pretending that 'gaggle of gooks' is an actual idom? Because it's not.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Space Whale posted:

Gosh it's almost like the idiomatic phrase "gaggle of gooks" is totally distinct from "g__k" in isolation, or something!

I know Space Whale is trolling, so this is more addressed to the lurkers who are reading along at home.

There's no context in which saying gook is cool. Don't say it.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD6qtc2_AQA

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

If you don't want to be brought to task then either admit your mistakes or better yet don't use racial slurs at all for any reason.

"Gaggle of gooks" is not, nor will it ever be, a real idiom, by the way.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Obdicut posted:

No, slope isn't okay to use as an insult. That's why 'gaggle of gooks' is lovely, because 'gook' only has one common meaning, and that's a racial slur.

How can you not be comprehending this? Are you just pretending that 'gaggle of gooks' is an actual idom? Because it's not.

Unless I'm mistaken, it's just an alliteration for "collection of things" like "mob of mooks" as a nonsense word. Then there was a Korean war and Gook became an insult, and to say "gook" in isolation is to be clearly racist.

Did it only exist as a racist term in the first place and then got normalized to the point I heard it growing up without any obvious racist connotations?

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

It's not an idiomatic phrase, what the gently caress is wrong with you? Are you thinking of "gaggle of geese"?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

If you don't want to be brought to task then either admit your mistakes or better yet don't use racial slurs at all for any reason.

"Gaggle of gooks" is not, nor will it ever be, a real idiom, by the way.

If every little slight wasn't a trumpet call for the piranhas to come take a bite out of someone, and the person making the slight didn't have to always and forever be "that *-ist person" I'd be more inclined to play ball. Instead I've seen that when someone is apologetic it's like blood in the water, and that's stupid. That's just fanning the flames of "let's derail into beating someone up for a while" and then there's a long term, if not indefinite, period where the person who made the slight is just a whipping-person, unless they wise up and leave for greener pastures.

Notice the thread changing any there, buddy?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hepatizon posted:

Why is strength good?

Are you really asking me why strength of character is good?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hepatizon posted:

It's not an idiomatic phrase, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

It sure was growing up in my experience. I didn't learn "gook" was a mutation of a Korean term which was a racist slur against southeast Asians until I was in my teens, and only then, it was a term used in isolation or a specific context.

If you've got a reference that's a bit more specific than "we say so" and "stop questioning us, you privilege haver with your ism problems, you ist" I'm all ears.

hepatizon posted:

Are you thinking of "gaggle of geese"?

I was thinking of an idiomatic g-consonant rhyming alliteration, for gently caress's sake.

Flock of fuckers, happy?

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

It sure was growing up in my experience. I didn't learn "gook" was a mutation of a Korean term which was a racist slur against southeast Asians until I was in my teens, and only then, it was a term used in isolation or a specific context.

If you've got a reference that's a bit more specific than "we say so" and "stop questioning us, you privilege haver with your ism problems, you ist" I'm all ears.

Here's your reference -- all 101 occurrences of "gaggle of gooks" on the public internet, and they all look pretty racist. Feel free to provide a reference of your own, but right now you sound like my racist-rear end grandmother saying that it wasn't at all a problem to call brazil nuts "friend of the family toes".

Space Whale posted:

Flock of fuckers, happy?

If that's an implicit concession that "gaggle of gooks" is kinda hosed up, then sure. The ability to admit when you're wrong is kinda critical to dialogue!

• Locked thread