Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Eldar codex is such a spectacular success and failure at the same time.

It has the feel of what Eldar should be again. Fast, hit/run style tactics with overwhelming firepower - in that regard it's done so much better than previous additions,the Battle Focus rule is brilliant, and Wraithknights are both fun and a perfect fit for the army. The entire problem is the Wave Serpent IMO. The issue is that it's so hilariously hard to kill that Eldar can now just march out and blast without really fearing a reprisal.

I honestly don't even think the shield is that broken. It is good, yes, but I think it's the fact that the Wave Serpent is hard to bring down with convential AT weapons that makes them so brutal because they can just continue to plunk shots out there. The Wraithknights I don't see as particularly undercosted - they're good but the Wave Serpents requiring so much attention is the real reason that the Wraithknights are hard to deal with.

A simple reduction to armor 11 on the sides, reflecting their nature as a swift transport with reduced armor for increased carrying capacity, might solve all the issues with a Wave Serpent heavy army.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

The wording is easily read as 'all dice for that phase are 6's'

Which when combined with the Moritats chain fire ability meant it was a one use way to delete anything in the game. Literally 'Just take them off the board because i score infinite hits that auto wound at AP2.'
Yeah, but I was asking if the wargear was a one-time-use like Dispel Scrolls in WFB and if so, paying anything more than 10-15 points to turn a single die into a 6 is pretty underwhelming. I've only got the first 30k book so I'm not sure on the specifics of the thing.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My opinion is that three of the biggest problems are allies, independent characters and formations.

I think allies need to be limited. You can take unlimited allies if you have the points for them. This ties into the IC problem, allowing you to group up ICs into near unkillable death stars and create game breaking combos. ICs having a 2+ look out sir makes it really hard to deal with them too. It also makes precision shots almost useless. Maybe if precision shots reduced LoS it would be better. I would like the game a lot better if you must have one combined arms detachment and up to one optional allied detachment. A knight allied detachment should only allow one knight. (You want more than one, then they're your primary.)

Formations are just straight up broken. They let you break force organization and give those units bonus abilities for zero point cost. If formations had appropriately priced point costs, I wouldn't mind so much. Adamantium Lance for example Can pretty much only be beaten by a flying circus with good anti vehicle firepower.

I'm also not a huge fan of the book psychic powers. I would like to see the book powers dropped completely and simply have each faction have their own unique psychic power tables.

Some tweaks to Eldar and Tau and allow units to assault out of outflank and standard reserve and I think the game is pretty much golden.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah, but I was asking if the wargear was a one-time-use like Dispel Scrolls in WFB and if so, paying anything more than 10-15 points to turn a single die into a 6 is pretty underwhelming. I've only got the first 30k book so I'm not sure on the specifics of the thing.

Its one use only yeah, but the ability to remove 6-800 points off of the board if your opponent has a Primarch and retinue is quite useful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really like formations but agree they need some sort of point cost and they actually need to make more of them for the armies that don't have them.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Master Twig posted:

Formations are just straight up broken. They let you break force organization and give those units bonus abilities for zero point cost. If formations had appropriately priced point costs, I wouldn't mind so much. Adamantium Lance for example Can pretty much only be beaten by a flying circus with good anti vehicle firepower.

Forever this. It is throwing away any pretense of game balance, or even the idea that points/model should adhere to some sort of parity, to just give things significant bonuses for taking multiples. It made a shred of sense in Apocalypse as a way to get people to buy more, and to field them in big easy-to-manage units rather than scattered squads. Now it is just silly, especially given how many there are and how they are scattered across so many supplements, campaign books etc.

I also agree to a degree about ICs/allies. In theory it's an awesome idea, I have all these cool Inquisition conversions and such to go with my Imperial Guard. But in practice, the best way to use those in game is to attach an Inquisitor to a guard blob, for stubborn LD10, rad grenades, cheap psyker. So many good tournament armies are built around silly combinations of ICs/elite units across different factions. Maybe I am too set in the way it was when I first really learned how to play, but it looks crap on the table in my book.

There is such a massive difference between how competitive armies looked at the start of 3rd ed, to the MSU and vehicle spam of 5th ed, to the allied deathstars, summoning psykers, superheavies and flying circuses of late 6th or 7th ed.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Got some more painting done this weekend, so posting the results, per ANAmal's request. This time it's more Thousands Sons. Almost done with the first squad, plus I finished the dreadnought and the first of the terminators. Mostly done in poor lighting with a lovely camera:

Squad (8/9 done):

The Rhino:

The Dreadnought:

Terminator:

poo poo yeah. :getin:

Master Twig posted:

The thing that kills me about this is that they already know this. Apocalypse formations were exactly like that - you get some neat special rule, but it's "X points plus the cost of models". I'm not sure how highly you'd have to tax the Adamantine Lance given how retarded good the bonuses are, but I'm reasonably sure that "zero points" isn't the right number.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The Adamantium Lance doesn't bother me much because it forces the Knights to group which really kills their maneuverability. Detonating a knight which starts a chain reaction is really, really sweet too.

Otherwise agree on formations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

I find it hard to agree with this. Some formations are indeed very strong, but that's no different from some units. The main intent of formations* is to encourage more thematic armies. A Broodlord Hunting Pack is a great example of this, as you'd never bother with 'stealers normally but it gives a neat incentive to run a bunch of them. Of course, GW miss the balancing mark with formations just as they do with units and sometimes you end up with no-brainer options like Adamantine Lance and Skyblight or direly offensive ones like Neural Node.

Most of the impact of good formations mostly stems from the game's Rock-Scissors-Paper style of list writing. You can stack your armies with so much Rock that your opponent becomes screwed if he didn't bring mostly Paper. That's not a problem exclusive to formations, and with GW's constant need to throw out new content it's futile to expect it to change.

*beyond cashmoney of course

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Real quick I thought I'd mention that in the black library advent calendar release for today there is a story about the Blood Angels that is literally called "The Blooding." Got a good chuckle out of me, anyway.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Well, the neural node has the same issue as most Tyranid formations in that it makes you take bad units. It's not so much the formation, as its the maleceptor that's offensively bad. I don't even like skyblight because you must take harpies over crones and gargoyles are just not very good.

I guess i will agree that most formations aren't broken, but the ones that are, REALLY are.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

NTRabbit posted:

I'm waiting for more Alpha Legion, Dark Angels and Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicus before committing, though I do have a single solitary Castellax

You can expect the Alpha Legion Contemptor Dread to be released in about a week or so.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

You just need to come downunder man...

The problem with that is I am hugely arachnaphobic. And everything down there is trying to kill people....

(Ok but seriously it's mostly the cost - I couldn't come alone and bringing my wife and kid would devastate my FW purchasing.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://undergroundlasers.com/home/124-50-x-25mm-to-32mm-conversion-rings.html

Ha. Took long enough.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They don't seem especially useful, given the shape of the base rims.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I have no resin making experience at all, but I was thinking two half rings that fit into each other to expand bases with. Should fit on any model

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's the only way I can see to make them both fit and look good.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

The problem with that is I am hugely arachnaphobic. And everything down there is trying to kill people....

(Ok but seriously it's mostly the cost - I couldn't come alone and bringing my wife and kid would devastate my FW purchasing.)

I was about to say, the whole australian fauna thing completely overblown... Then I realised I killed around 7 spiders yesterday. A bunch of them living under my painting desk.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Frobbe posted:

I have no resin making experience at all, but I was thinking two half rings that fit into each other to expand bases with. Should fit on any model

Some dude put out a proof of concept for this; he's going to do them in hard plastic:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/30/626025.page#7411734

GW really dropped the ball by not having these available first at like 50 for ten bucks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What's changing, even? Is it a new base for jump pack guys? For marines? What?

I just based my entire ork army after like 6 years of putting it off so i'm going to be pretty salty if my guys aren't on the right bases anymore.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Literally nothing's changing, at least according to a GW dude answering their Q&A email. They put out the new Death Company on 32 mm to showcase how cool they were but that doesn't mean they're changing base sizes for everything, or at least that's what they say.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're going to slowly put marines and anyone else that doesn't fit on a 25mm on 32mm bases. Theres's no requirement to update bases but they look cooler and I'd want my new dudes to match my old dudes.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Some dude on Warseer was posting some alleged leaks:

quote:

No new units, no Centurions, and no Storm Talon
All units have Furious Charge

Warlord traits are:

1. Warlod gets Rampage
2. Warlord gets +1 I
3. One warlord's weapong gets mastercrafted
4. Warlord gets Adamantium will
5. Warlord gets Descent of the Angles (Dante's trait)
6. 12" fearless bubble

Physic powers are:

Primaris: Blessing. +D3 to A and I to psyker or target character at 12"
1. Malediction. Target unit at 12" takes a Moral test with -2
2. Blessing. Target unit at 18" gets Rage. If they had already that rule, they get +1A instead
3. Blessing. Psyker and his unit get 5++
4. Focussed witch fire. Target makes 2 T tests. Take one W for each failed test. If targed dies, place 5" blast with S4 and AP5.
5. Beam.12" S8, AP1 Lance
6"Blessing. Targe infantry unit, moves 12" in the psychic phase. No charging after this movement.

Force Org. Changes:
-Only troops choices are Tactical Marines and Scouts
-Death Company, DC Dreads, Regular Dread are now Elites
-Librarian Furioso now an HQ choice
-Baal Predator is Heavy Support
-Land Raiders are only Dedicated Transport for Terminators
-Sanguinary Priests are HQ

Unit Changes:
-Death Company are 4 WS, only pay 3 points for jump packs, and special rules are Furious Charge, Feel No Pain, Fearless, Relentless, Rage.
-Tactical Squads can take a Heavy Flamer and may take anti-air missiles
-Sanguinary Priests' Blood Chalice gives Feel No Pain and +1 WS to the unit he joins.
-Fast vehicles are Rhino, Razorback, and Baal Predator
-Dante gains Eternal Warrior. His axe is +2 Strength, Mastercraft, NOT unwieldy.
-Mephiston
WS BS S T W I A L A
6 5 5 5 3 5 4 10 2+
Warlord trait: Adamantium will
Lvl 3
Special rules: FC, IC, Fleet, No Fear, Hypnotic Trance: Roll 2D6 if fighting in a challenge: If result is the L of the opponent or more, Mephiston hits on 2+.
Has one unique power: Blessing, he gets S10.

His sword is AP3

Costs 175 points

New Detachment:
Mandatory 1 HQ, 1 Elite, 2 Troops
Optional: as usual, but 3 additioanl Elite (Total 4)
Special rule: +1I when charging, all the army, any turn.

Edit: Edited the quote for clarity.

ThNextGreenLantern fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 8, 2014

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Boon, no one else has mentioned but I really enjoyed reading your write up.

Also if those rumours are true a number of my previous Blood Angel builds that I can do (but notably haven't done really) are firmly rogered. No more dreadmob! I am bidding on dreads as we speak on eBay and I already have nine!

That does seem to be quite a through going over with the nerf bat. I have my eyebrows set in a cynical furrow.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 8, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Leo Showers posted:

Disappointed in lack of Iron Warriors stuff.

Are they going to do a unique Havoc model?

Same here. I am literally holding off on several projects until they release the IW upgreydd packs. Each legion unique unit gets a model, so we will get Iron Havocs and Siege Breaker terminators (or whatever they are called).

serious gaylord posted:

My bitching has got another FAQ on its way lads. They genuinely thought 'may make any dice roll a 6' meant 'May make a single dice roll a 6'.

That wargears now going to be pointless.

I bitched to them about command tank rules for vehicle squadrons. Hopefully that makes it into there too.

HiveCommander posted:

The Combat Augment Array is a once-per-game thing isn't it? That's not really that useful to make a single dice result become a 6 unless it's absurdly cheap.

Some guy on B&C got a response from FW and they said 'once dice roll', which now takes it from 'game breaking good' to 'mostly useless for 35 points'

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

JackMack posted:

Also if those rumours are true a number of my previous Blood Angel builds that I can do (but notably haven't done really) are firmly rogered. No more dreadmob! I am bidding on dreads as we speak on eBay and I already have nine!

That does seem to be quite a through going over with the nerf bat. I have my eyebrows set in a cynical furrow.

I guess I can take some small comfort in the fact that I'm only 4 Dreadnoughts deep in that investment. Also, I only have 3 Assault Squads. There's still a lot of information missing, though.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

JackMack posted:

No more dreadmob! I am bidding on dreads as we speak on eBay and I already have nine!
Go Spacewolves (or just count as). They have a formation that requires 1 HQ and some elites, going up to like 6-9 or something.

Bijorn leading all dreads is a real battle forged list. All zombie robots, no toughness.

Also, I don't think those lists were really that competitive (nor is the space wolf one) so nerf bat seems like an overreaction. But you can have fun with dreads with wolf claws or stormshields!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If it's true then that is really disappointing, I was looking forward to having a reason to actually use assault squads and dreads. It would also mean a ridiculous amount of congestion in the Elites section.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Mephiston certainly got the nerf hammer. The guy at my FLGS who runs a squad with him, corbulo (or sometimes draigo), a captain on a bike and coteaz will be disappointed.

For the points he's still really good, just different.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Go Spacewolves (or just count as). They have a formation that requires 1 HQ and some elites, going up to like 6-9 or something.

Bijorn leading all dreads is a real battle forged list. All zombie robots, no toughness.

Also, I don't think those lists were really that competitive (nor is the space wolf one) so nerf bat seems like an overreaction. But you can have fun with dreads with wolf claws or stormshields!

That is an interesting idea.

I didn't specifically mean the nerfing of my dreads, I mean limited fast vehicles, Baal press vying for slots with actual preds and what will be a super crowded elites slot on top of assault squads no longer being troops! I am terrible at this game and to be honest have not had much contact with newer codexes however if these are true the manner in which you can play this army suffers quite a big paradigm shift.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

RE: playtesting...

I have said it before and will again- that GW doesn't use external playtests (an industry standard) is puzzling and directly contributes to making the game less balanced.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

I was about to say, the whole australian fauna thing completely overblown... Then I realised I killed around 7 spiders yesterday. A bunch of them living under my painting desk.

Jesus Christ you just described a nightmare scenario for me....

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Mephiston certainly got the nerf hammer. The guy at my FLGS who runs a squad with him, corbulo (or sometimes draigo), a captain on a bike and coteaz will be disappointed.

For the points he's still really good, just different.

The 5th edition Mephiston was meant to go solo, since he did not have independent character. I suppose with the removal of the single model unit clause they could join him in now, but that was not really how he was meant to be used, so is that a nerf?.

Everyone usually treated him as a quasi MC at the time. Had T6, usually moved 12" (the most normal 'flying'MC moved then) and hit at STR 10 but was alone and lacked an Invuln.

Now having him be able to join a squad could be really good. Depends on the points. He still gets Str10 and that new table seems decent, for assault focused guys at least.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Australians give no poo poo for spiders. Of far greater concern is the ever-present danger of waking to find a Drop Bear nesting under your foreskin.

To bring this back on topic, I'm going to reiterate just how much I think it would suck to have Terminators, Assault Terminators, DC, DC Dreads, Furioso Dreads, and presumably Sanguinary Priests, Techmarines, and Sanguinary Guard all in the Elites slot:

A gently caress of a lot. That's how much it would suck.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 8, 2014

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

I hope the new book is at least well costed. If things are cramped or not as special snowflake at least make them plentiful as compared to the other SM costs. They have the benefit of being the latest marine book, they should have the benefits from that! I can also hope that more formations will arise to shore up those crowded slots. Getting +1 I is like old furious charge. What was old is new again!

I would like to see MSP finish those lamenters he started ages ago.

Ghost Hand posted:

Not to further derail, but...

In Tampa Florida I had large brown wolf spiders invade my living room almost every day. Then the mommas started showing up, the ones that are covered in their babies so when they die a cloud of baby spiders run in every direction.

We got the suggestion to use moth balls and ever since we have been spider free. I'm serious about the every other day part. We killed 3-4 medium-large spiders a week, it was nerve racking never knowing where they would be. I was working on some painting and I looked at my lap to find one crawling around my shorts.

I see this as a great solution, though my loved ones worry about the side effects of moth balls. I used to find dead cockroaches upside down in the middle of the room. We stopped getting those too, not that they were super common but this is Florida after all. If it can kill them then I'm sure it must be real bad. But it's this or the spiders again.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I don't doubt the rumors but the entire thing almost looks like a copy and paste of 3rd edition blood angels. Seems odd.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
You guys make me incredibly happy to live in the froze wastes of New England, where the most dangerous wildlife we have to deal with are townies.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

You guys make me incredibly happy to live in the froze wastes of New England, where the most dangerous wildlife we have to deal with are townies.

You forgot drunken Bostonians on a Saturday night.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
My Australian cousins think nothing of the venomous snakes or spiders. But the idea of a cougar, bear, or wolf roaming around scares them silly. Tiny deadly critters hiding under things are fine, but massive hungry predators that will kill and eat you for fun are apparently out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

Well, surely the nightmare scenario is a spider killing 7 warhammer players . . .

• Locked thread