Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I will probably buy this tomorrow on Xbox Live, hopefully it wont be as lovely?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well, you can't really do a bunch of the the weird super mouselook stuff with a pad, so it's quite possible.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

the new horde mode is something; anybody worked out how to actually beat troll waves?

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

the new horde mode is something; anybody worked out how to actually beat troll waves?

Wait for a hotfix. They seem to regenerate HP because they are only vulnerable within 5 seconds of spawning.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
This halloween coop horde mode is tons of fun. I hope they flesh this out with more maps and support, make this a main game mode.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Played this today and forgot how fun this was. Couldn't find new game modes was that Halloween only?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I poked my head back into vanilla Chiv for a bit, again. With the current free weekend on, I figured there oughta be plenty of new and inexperienced players around so I wouldn't just get curbstomped completely the whole time.
Turned out I was right, and found a nice first-person only server to boot. Ended up playing for a few hours and had loads of fun, even when I got my rear end kicked. It's quite a difference to feel like you just got outplayed fair and square, instead of getting annihilated by some weird-rear end borderline exploity techniques you can't really defend against.

Also, I finally learned to use the vanguard charge. I used to always whiff them by starting them too late and just rocketing past my target, but now it just clicked and I kept nailing dudes with it pretty consistently.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was terrible at this game but enjoyed running around yelling and flailing ages ago. So outside of the free weekend the last post mentioned is this game pretty much all pros at this point? The expansion is cheap so doing some more yelling and flailing as a pirate sounds fun otherwise.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I play regularly outside of free weekends and yeah, it's pretty much all pros during the normal months.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Vanguard charge is easy to learn. Are you running at someone with some form of ranged weapon out? Jump at their face! Do they instead have a melee weapon out? Walk up and kick them in the dick instead.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I have really got into playing as Man at Arms and maybe it's because I'm squishy and have to keep my distance until killing time, but I don't seem to see as many stupid overhead shenanigans as I used to. Occasionally you see some guy doing dumb spinny poo poo but if you're lucky enough to hit them once and stagger them to break the loop they don't seem to know what to do next.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is the Xbox version still on schedule for this Wednesday?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
It's already out. Downloading the demo now, it seems that they cut number of players in a game to 12

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So no cross platform?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Is it any good?

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I played the demo for a minute, it matched me in a game with one other player so I can't tell much about the gameplay

Graphics look pretty good though, on par with the PC

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So I recently got a computer that can actually play games and messed around in this a little last night. Feel free to add me if you want to slash mans. Game is fun as hell

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Holy gently caress don't play this game when it's past midnight

I was on a server with nothing but level 30+ players who were all playing greatsword vanguard. All I ever really saw them doing was look-down-overheads and running in circles while alternating slashes and stabs in third person. I don't know why I didn't leave as soon as I saw 3 black greatsword vanguards, all in the same clan with names that had randomly capitalized letters, teaming up against the rest of the server and complaining about archers and the fact that people didn't 1v1 them (when they were teaming up??). The whole server was like all the lovely aspects of Chivalry condensed to one server.

I kinda wish they removed vanguards entirely, or at least made it so that you can't do the dumb windmilling poo poo, or that they fixed the latency-abusive overhead poo poo. Christ this game is broken when people actually try to win.

Phlegmish posted:

Does anyone else have the problem that sometimes attacks don't work in the middle of combat? Especially overhead attacks, occasionally I scroll down the mousewheel and nothing happens. At first I thought it was my mouse, but it's happening with a different mouse as well. I'm not much of a rager, but it's really frustrating that my character doesn't always do what I tell him to and I die because of it.

I just uninstalled Chiv today because of these issues- players who have mastered the gameplay by contorting themselves into rag dolls and frustration over my knife attacks not actually attacking when in CC.

The community is also incredibly terrible, those vote-kick boxes were so distracting and regular that it pushed the game into the Not Fun territory :shrugs:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Chivalry was fun when it first came out and nobody knew what they were doing. And then people started playing it all the time and hopping into a server turned from fun into frustrating as you got killed immediately basically as soon as you exited the spawn. As well as Deadliest Warrior was fun at the beginning before everyone seemed to become a viking or spartan because those are the two most powerful classes in it.
When a game turns from fun into frustrating, then it's time to uninstall it.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

This game is still fun when playing with friends. Otherwise I rarely touch it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Did they stick with the decision to remove the archer class ability while doing nothing to replace it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

IAmTheRad posted:

Chivalry was fun when it first came out and nobody knew what they were doing. And then people started playing it all the time and hopping into a server turned from fun into frustrating as you got killed immediately basically as soon as you exited the spawn. As well as Deadliest Warrior was fun at the beginning before everyone seemed to become a viking or spartan because those are the two most powerful classes in it.
When a game turns from fun into frustrating, then it's time to uninstall it.

DW was fun when it was Pirates and Ninjas mostly. But yeah, everyone got hip to to Spartans and Vikings and it got boring quick. I haven't played vanilla in months either because the archer nerf sucked the fun out of the game for me. What little was left.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
This game is still fun for me even with pubs after 250 hours.

Just get good at the game. I don't do spin moves or look up overheads to my rear. I still wreck people all day.

guide to fighting blenders:

Stick to first person it helps to judge distance.

Learn to recognize the windup for thrusts, slash or overhead from the prime suspects: Maul, Bearded Axe, Halberd, Zweihander, Messer ,etc. This way you can try to sidestep thusts or overheads. Backpedal, or circle as needed.

Don't put yourself into position for a spin move. Most of these will "start" behind the left shoulder of the person throwing the attack. So what happens alot is you habitually circlestrafe at close quarters, practically forcing them to use some weird spin poo poo on you.

If you really focus on using your weapon at the maximum reach it gives you extra time to react, judging if the attack is a feint or real, etc.

As you play the game log enough you will learn to mentally add in the "footwork" of you and your opponent.

If they are running away from you after a clash... they are probably either in 3rd person or have good judgement of distance. They are most likely baiting you into closing so they can throw a move, spin, and hit you with it. So let the relative speed and lengths guide your judgement here. Usually its best to follow just out of reach, that way they throw some spin poo poo which whiffs in front of your face and you can punish the spam.

Mostly though, just play a lot and you will get better. Once you know how fast the combos go for the common spin weapons you can just parry that poo poo even if you can barely see it. Sometimes too you can just throw an attack as soon as they look off center from you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I just uninstalled Chiv today because of these issues- players who have mastered the gameplay by contorting themselves into rag dolls and frustration over my knife attacks not actually attacking when in CC.

The community is also incredibly terrible, those vote-kick boxes were so distracting and regular that it pushed the game into the Not Fun territory :shrugs:

I ended up rebinding my keys so that none of the combo moves involve the scroll wheel, and it's mostly fine now.

Recently got back into this and it's a lot of fun, but I'm pretty sure it's largely due to the Steam sale and the fact that you can join a server without half the players being spastically swinging 'pro' vanguards.

In what way did archers get nerfed, by the way? I usually seem to be doing alright when I play them.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Robot Randy posted:

Did they stick with the decision to remove the archer class ability while doing nothing to replace it?

Yep. I miss my 50% backstab bonus.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Deadliest Warrior is really hard for some reason. Probably because getting the unlocks is a pain in the rear end.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Prince Reggie K posted:

Just get good at the game.

Yeah, stop being a tryhard.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Phlegmish posted:

I ended up rebinding my keys so that none of the combo moves involve the scroll wheel, and it's mostly fine now.

Recently got back into this and it's a lot of fun, but I'm pretty sure it's largely due to the Steam sale and the fact that you can join a server without half the players being spastically swinging 'pro' vanguards.

In what way did archers get nerfed, by the way? I usually seem to be doing alright when I play them.

Each class has an ability, and the archer's was removed for no reason whatsoever, other than to make the class worse

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Prince Reggie K posted:

This game is still fun for me even with pubs after 250 hours.

Just get good at the game. I don't do spin moves or look up overheads to my rear. I still wreck people all day.

guide to fighting blenders:

Stick to first person it helps to judge distance.

Learn to recognize the windup for thrusts, slash or overhead from the prime suspects: Maul, Bearded Axe, Halberd, Zweihander, Messer ,etc. This way you can try to sidestep thusts or overheads. Backpedal, or circle as needed.

Don't put yourself into position for a spin move. Most of these will "start" behind the left shoulder of the person throwing the attack. So what happens alot is you habitually circlestrafe at close quarters, practically forcing them to use some weird spin poo poo on you.

If you really focus on using your weapon at the maximum reach it gives you extra time to react, judging if the attack is a feint or real, etc.

As you play the game log enough you will learn to mentally add in the "footwork" of you and your opponent.

If they are running away from you after a clash... they are probably either in 3rd person or have good judgement of distance. They are most likely baiting you into closing so they can throw a move, spin, and hit you with it. So let the relative speed and lengths guide your judgement here. Usually its best to follow just out of reach, that way they throw some spin poo poo which whiffs in front of your face and you can punish the spam.

Mostly though, just play a lot and you will get better. Once you know how fast the combos go for the common spin weapons you can just parry that poo poo even if you can barely see it. Sometimes too you can just throw an attack as soon as they look off center from you.
All of your advice is good, but it still doesn't fix that body-contorting no feints allowed is still a ridiculous direction for the game to go in. I still don't get why they don't patch in the DW system where attacks do full damage in the middle of their animation but drop-off on damage at the beginning and end. It makes a hell of a lot of sense that a hit from a swing with no momentum behind it shouldn't be doing full damage. and it would steer the game back to fundamentals like footwork, reach, parries, feints, and punishing whiffs.

Robot Randy posted:

Each class has an ability, and the archer's was removed for no reason whatsoever, other than to make the class worse
I can kind of see it that maybe the special class ability of archer is that they're the most effective at range. But goddamn if you let an archer get behind you and close enough to cut, you probably deserve the death. How loving often were people getting stabbed in the butt by archers for it to be deemed overpowered?

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Afaik archers still have back bonus, they just lost the ability to stagger at range with bows.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Holepunchio posted:

I can kind of see it that maybe the special class ability of archer is that they're the most effective at range. But goddamn if you let an archer get behind you and close enough to cut, you probably deserve the death. How loving often were people getting stabbed in the butt by archers for it to be deemed overpowered?

Well when you're a heavy jav archer and your backstab thrust with the jab people suddenly got really angry at archers being able to melee. That and a thrusting dagger archer coming up behind you was also great. Neither was overpowered but it just added fuel to the "NERF ARCHERS BUFF VANGUARD" fire.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Always buff vanguards

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The knight doesn't have a special ability either, the game says it does but having the highest health isn't really a special ability, and the vanguard's special ability is not that great. The only class that has a meaningful special ability is the MAA and it makes sense cause being fast without the ability to dodge is not that meaningful with the chase mechanic in play. I didn't really care about the backstab ability when I played but I do see why from a balance perspective the Archer doesn't actually need it.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The knight doesn't have a special ability either, the game says it does but having the highest health isn't really a special ability, and the vanguard's special ability is not that great. The only class that has a meaningful special ability is the MAA and it makes sense cause being fast without the ability to dodge is not that meaningful with the chase mechanic in play. I didn't really care about the backstab ability when I played but I do see why from a balance perspective the Archer doesn't actually need it.

The knight has increased stamina. That's his special ability.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Robot Randy posted:

Knight never had a "special ability", the flavor text is flat out wrong. Parrying with broadsword as a knight takes as much stamina as parrying with broadsword as a MAA.

Besides, archer's real special ability is the fact that he has bows and crossbows and javelins and poo poo. Heavy crossbow can still instagib other archers and MAA with torso hits and vanguards and knights with headshots. If you don't hit vanguards or knights in head, they are one hit away from pretty much everything after that hit.

Abe Frohman posted:

Afaik archers still have back bonus, they just lost the ability to stagger at range with bows.

No, the backstab bonus was literally set to 0 in the code. No bonus damage whatsoever for archer melee from any angle.

Elth posted:

The knight has increased stamina. That's his special ability.

Every class has same amount of stamina (100). As I said earlier, the flavor text is a lie.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
I always thought the knight ability was that they can use two handed weapons in one hand.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Trudis posted:

I always thought the knight ability was that they can use two handed weapons in one hand.

Only swords and barely anyone uses those.

But those are supposed to be the knight specialty according to the tutorial guy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I reinstalled and tried out Javelin Archer.

I got the top kills for my team 3 matches in a row :stare:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I switched to MAA in order to get that sweet Thrusting Dagger, which took a long while. A few minutes after I got it I switched to Vanguard w/ a Spear and made shish kabobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
This game can be super frustrating at times, but I'm still loving it. The worst is seeing my weapon slice through a guys head or chest and not even getting the sound of it being blocked. Just no impact nothing. Then getting hit from what seems like the completely wrong angle. I still enjoy the game and have a ton of fun as a knight. I'm terrible with archer though. Send me a message on steam if you want to group up or something as the game is a lot better with friends.

• Locked thread