Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Two problems with this. First, you have the luxury of working with children that are known quantities. You're familiar with their issues and have a pretty good idea that none of them have guns or knives concealed on their person. I don't think you can use "non-harmful techniques" to restrain a fully grown adult who is intent not on a temper tantrum but on harming you physically. I think you'd be crazy to try such a thing on a stranger you encountered less than a minute ago. Second, the police are not caregivers; their role is to maintain public order. If someone is walking out of a liquor store with a bottle they didn't pay for, you can't expect the owner to "wait for them to get it out of their system." Similarly, if a stranger is trampling through my front garden and yelling about The Revelation, I should not be expected to let them crush my flowers until they come down from their high or their psychotic episode resolves or whatever. I expect the police to remove that person whether they want to go or not.

Basic human compassion means that your flowers get trampled so as not to remove the dignity of the human having a psychotic episode. And of course you can wait for a robber to "get it out of their system" (whatever you meant by "it") especially if its the loss of a bottle versus an assault. You can wait an hour for your bottle to be returned to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

evilweasel posted:

This isn't a useful post and is more just an attempt to shut down a valid point. You do not need to support the cop who killed Garner to point out that Riven's argument has a serious problem. The two situations aren't comparable because Riven knows the people he's dealing with which makes it much easier for him than if you stuck a random person in his position.
My point was that the police making GBS threads a brick and going full retard on every fat guy who fails to immediately respect their authority is a much bigger problem for public order than waiting a few minutes for the idiot in question to chill out. There are options between "Do Nothing" and "Maximum Violence" but the NYPD doesn't seem to be aware of any of them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think the parent analogy is okay though, because a prerequisite of having a unified front between the parents is previous planning and decisions about how to respond to what. If police don't have such a plan they are already hosed regardless of whether they stick together or not.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

ChairMaster posted:

Man, the Eric Garner thing was absolutely unacceptable, and it's insane that nothing is ever gonna come of it, but come the gently caress on, cops need to use force sometimes, and people who work at stores need to prevent some shithead junkie from stealing all their poo poo.

Um. I did not write what you put in the quote box. I said, quote, "If they can't touch someone, ever, if they're not obviously being dangerous,"

It's easy to argue with something stupid when you completely change what I say to make it stupid. If Eric Garner had shoved a cop or been acting in any way dangerous towards them, had initiated aggression, that's one thing. But he didn't. He was pushing his hands down and away, in a a "no way" motion. He was being non-compliant, not dangerous.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Two problems with this. First, you have the luxury of working with children that are known quantities. You're familiar with their issues and have a pretty good idea that none of them have guns or knives concealed on their person. I don't think you can use "non-harmful techniques" to restrain a fully grown adult who is intent not on a temper tantrum but on harming you physically. I think you'd be crazy to try such a thing on a stranger you encountered less than a minute ago. Second, the police are not caregivers; their role is to maintain public order. If someone is walking out of a liquor store with a bottle they didn't pay for, you can't expect the owner to "wait for them to get it out of their system." Similarly, if a stranger is trampling through my front garden and yelling about The Revelation, I should not be expected to let them crush my flowers until they come down from their high or their psychotic episode resolves or whatever. I expect the police to remove that person whether they want to go or not.

What you're saying here, given what the actions we've seen from cops from non-violent suspected criminals, is that you value that bottle and those flowers more than human life.

And, you can absolutely use non-harmful techniques on a fully grown adult who is intent on harming you physically. I've had students absolutely intent on harming me physically. If a cop isn't sure if someone has a knife or gun concealed on their person, they should hold back from the situation until they have more knowledge, perhaps with their gun drawn. There's no difference between going into a choke hold on a person who may have a knife and going into a safe restraint with someone who may have a knife, and in fact the safe restraint is safer because it involves grabbing their arms. Not jumping on their back and seeing if they pull a knife and stab behind them.

The problem here is that you have people acting emotionally and irrationally, and the proper response to that is to stay calm and rational yourself, and de-escalate the situation. Instead the cops are getting emotional and irrational themselves and escalating it.

klen dool posted:

Basic human compassion means that your flowers get trampled so as not to remove the dignity of the human having a psychotic episode. And of course you can wait for a robber to "get it out of their system" (whatever you meant by "it") especially if its the loss of a bottle versus an assault. You can wait an hour for your bottle to be returned to you.

Exactly. And you know what? If someone's damaging your property, sure, put them in a restraint. You can hold someone for a long time in a safe restraint until they calm down. It is possible to immediately intervene with someone who is being damaging or dangerous without putting their life at risk. The cop that reacted to my student knew him as well. He was a known quantity to that cop and she still used excessive force, because it's all she was trained to do.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

My point was that the police making GBS threads a brick and going full retard on every fat guy who fails to immediately respect their authority is a much bigger problem for public order than waiting a few minutes for the idiot in question to chill out. There are options between "Do Nothing" and "Maximum Violence" but the NYPD doesn't seem to be aware of any of them.

Exactly.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the parent analogy is okay though, because a prerequisite of having a unified front between the parents is previous planning and decisions about how to respond to what. If police don't have such a plan they are already hosed regardless of whether they stick together or not.

I also think the parent analogy is fine. And this happens in my work as well. One of us might do a restraint that someone else thinks wasn't justified. We don't call each other on it in the middle of it, because it's already tense, and we need to be a united team. But afterwards we do a review and if someone did something wrong, we make a change. If I was a parent (hoping to be one soon) and the other parent did something I strongly disagreed with, I'd have a conversation afterwards and make sure something changed. I'd say, "We don't hit our kid." Any further stretch of the metaphor I can think of breaks down, but this stuff is just being accepted by a lot of departments and DAs. The system completely allows it. I don't even blame most of the individual cops, I blame the training and accountability systems that make it likely and acceptable.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

An interesting take on the issue from someone who has been on both sides of the line: http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/i-was-a-st-louis-cop-my-peers-were-racist-and-violent-and-theres-only-one-fix/

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Well Sedan was asking if I thought the blacks need controlling. I'm saying that I don't know what they need, or if indeed I am the man to give it to them. I don't make those decisions.

But you're just deferring that to the cops and assuming their authority legitimate, otherwise. There's no continuos, intermediate, interpretation, which has been the problem from the start on both cases.

Riven posted:

I also think the parent analogy is fine. And this happens in my work as well. One of us might do a restraint that someone else thinks wasn't justified. We don't call each other on it in the middle of it, because it's already tense, and we need to be a united team. But afterwards we do a review and if someone did something wrong, we make a change. If I was a parent (hoping to be one soon) and the other parent did something I strongly disagreed with, I'd have a conversation afterwards and make sure something changed. I'd say, "We don't hit our kid." Any further stretch of the metaphor I can think of breaks down, but this stuff is just being accepted by a lot of departments and DAs. The system completely allows it. I don't even blame most of the individual cops, I blame the training and accountability systems that make it likely and acceptable.

The message cops need to receive is that their gun doesn't make them a legitimate authority by default. The Judge Dredd poo poo literally needs to stop before people start taking matters into their own hands and we end up with a few dead officers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Riven posted:

Jesus christ, seriously? If your partner is hitting your child, intervene and stop it now.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Jesus christ, seriously? If your partner is hitting your child, intervene and stop it now.

Well I think the idea in the first place is to not be with someone who would hit my kid. I'm not, (married to a Kindergarten teacher) so it's purely theoretical for me. Wasn't my metaphor, and it doesn't stretch well. Don't hire cops that are doing it for the power trip? You probably couldn't hire enough cops. I thought about joining the Oakland PD at one point in my life. Had a friend who was a Lieutenant. I became a teacher instead because I didn't feel like I would fit. I self-selected out, and I think I'd make a good cop because I'd be doing it for the right reasons. I don't think everyone who would do it for the right reasons self selects out, but I can make up imaginary stats in my head that a lot do.

That's really the root issue. Like the guy who shot Tamir Rice. Dude shouldn't have been a cop in the first place.

I guess I'm saying that I get the "we need to be a united front" thing, but even in my work the worst thing we're doing is safely restraining a kid, not hitting them or using anywhere near lethal force. If someone is being grossly abusive then yeah, step in. But as someone pointed out, cops that step in and say stop are the ones who get punished.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Riven posted:

Well I think the idea in the first place is to not be with someone who would hit my kid. I'm not, (married to a Kindergarten teacher) so it's purely theoretical for me. Wasn't my metaphor, and it doesn't stretch well. Don't hire cops that are doing it for the power trip? You probably couldn't hire enough cops. I thought about joining the Oakland PD at one point in my life. Had a friend who was a Lieutenant. I became a teacher instead because I didn't feel like I would fit. I self-selected out, and I think I'd make a good cop because I'd be doing it for the right reasons. I don't think everyone who would do it for the right reasons self selects out, but I can make up imaginary stats in my head that a lot do.

That's really the root issue. Like the guy who shot Tamir Rice. Dude shouldn't have been a cop in the first place.

I guess I'm saying that I get the "we need to be a united front" thing, but even in my work the worst thing we're doing is safely restraining a kid, not hitting them or using anywhere near lethal force. If someone is being grossly abusive then yeah, step in. But as someone pointed out, cops that step in and say stop are the ones who get punished.

Just as an aside, your posts are great and you're spot on with everything. I feel like the big issues people seem to blow over and over again, are valuing objects over human life, and not seeing people who commit crimes are regular people who either are doing something out of some kind of sad desperation or are suffering from some kind of mental illness. Either case needs empathy and definitely better training for cops. Basically, we should be gearing up our society to move forward - away from violence and black and white rule following and towards empathy, compassion, etc etc.

I keep thinking about that case from a year or two ago, the guy in the movie theater who was killed after being unruly. He was ill with some condition, I can't remember. but instead of doing exactly what you've been saying on the last page or so, the cops went all in on physical control and killed the guy. He was having an episode, he was panicking, and the police were absolutely not trained for that at all. I don't want to live in a society where people who don't have it all 100% outwardly together are at risk of death by our local protectors.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Syjefroi posted:

Just as an aside, your posts are great and you're spot on with everything. I feel like the big issues people seem to blow over and over again, are valuing objects over human life, and not seeing people who commit crimes are regular people who either are doing something out of some kind of sad desperation or are suffering from some kind of mental illness. Either case needs empathy and definitely better training for cops. Basically, we should be gearing up our society to move forward - away from violence and black and white rule following and towards empathy, compassion, etc etc.

I keep thinking about that case from a year or two ago, the guy in the movie theater who was killed after being unruly. He was ill with some condition, I can't remember. but instead of doing exactly what you've been saying on the last page or so, the cops went all in on physical control and killed the guy. He was having an episode, he was panicking, and the police were absolutely not trained for that at all. I don't want to live in a society where people who don't have it all 100% outwardly together are at risk of death by our local protectors.

He had Down Syndrome. He had a visible, easily recognizable cognitive and developmental disability. I mean, I can understand someone without training not recognizing a psychotic episode or just regular old irrational action, but how do you look at someone with Down's and say "gently caress this guy, I'm gonna sit on him until he complies."? It takes a special lack of empathy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah jeez, I mean, if someone had some rare crazy disease I could understand the police not being prepared, but a lot of people have Down Syndrome. But, I guess police training is on an incredibly small budget of time and money, so there have to be sacrifices...like how to deal with any mental disability, no matter how common.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Riven posted:

The cop that reacted to my student knew him as well. He was a known quantity to that cop and she still used excessive force, because it's all she was trained to do.

Worth noting that the cops knew Eric Garner too. All those 30-odd arrests or whatnot meant he must've been pretty familiar to them—they knew he wasn't a violent guy and they weren't in danger from him.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
https://www.facebook.com/denverpolice/photos/a.216526168452374.39921.175202779251380/589440094494311/?type=1

Like this guy, right here. Cop gets called by parents because their son with Asperger's was freaking out. He deescalates the kid, finds out he's hungry, and gets him some food. Good cop, and able to do that because of good training.

I just found out one of my Facebook friends does de-escalation training for Denver PD when he posted this 5 minutes ago. Gotta talk to him more now.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
There was an article not too long ago about I believe it was San Antonio that has a small squad in their PD that actually specializes in dealing with individuals that have mental illnesses.

EDIT: Here we go. http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/08/19/338895262/mental-health-cops-help-reweave-social-safety-net-in-san-antonio

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Riven posted:

https://www.facebook.com/denverpolice/photos/a.216526168452374.39921.175202779251380/589440094494311/?type=1

Like this guy, right here. Cop gets called by parents because their son with Asperger's was freaking out. He deescalates the kid, finds out he's hungry, and gets him some food. Good cop, and able to do that because of good training.

I just found out one of my Facebook friends does de-escalation training for Denver PD when he posted this 5 minutes ago. Gotta talk to him more now.

Hey I probably did some training with him! De-escelation rules, seriously.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Grem posted:

Are you talking about something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBfF_7rdIxg

Well, yes, but given that she was held unfit for duty and fired as a result of that incident, it doesn't really change my main point.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

klen dool posted:

:psyduck: Do you think the police really have the resources to follow every single shoplifter until they decide to return the merchandise, or to babysit every single junkie through multi-hour manic episodes? Also, I never said that the cops should shoot the dude for trampling my flowers, just that the police remove the trespasser whether he wants to go or not, because respecting my dignity means not trespassing on my home and destroying my property. I shouldn’t have to wait for the trespasser to decide they’re finished. The other issue is that the police don’t interact with people they have the luxury of getting to know on an individual basis. Is this person acting erratically and aggressively going to calm down, or is he going to start smashing windows? How long is this person going to break the law before they decide to stop?

Riven posted:

What you're saying here, given what the actions we've seen from cops from non-violent suspected criminals, is that you value that bottle and those flowers more than human life.
Bullshit. I didn’t say the cops needed to shoot every shoplifter on sight. I said that the police should make people return merchandise, even if they refuse to do so when told. If the person refuses and decides to fight the cops, or the cops use excessive force, that’s on them.

quote:

And, you can absolutely use non-harmful techniques on a fully grown adult who is intent on harming you physically. I've had students absolutely intent on harming me physically. If a cop isn't sure if someone has a knife or gun concealed on their person, they should hold back from the situation until they have more knowledge, perhaps with their gun drawn. There's no difference between going into a choke hold on a person who may have a knife and going into a safe restraint with someone who may have a knife, and in fact the safe restraint is safer because it involves grabbing their arms. Not jumping on their back and seeing if they pull a knife and stab behind them.

If someone's damaging your property, sure, put them in a restraint. You can hold someone for a long time in a safe restraint until they calm down. It is possible to immediately intervene with someone who is being damaging or dangerous without putting their life at risk.
I’m not an expert, but I’ve done enough combatatives to know that there is no way to safely restrain a fighting, scratching, kicking adult (especially one larger than you) that doesn’t carry some risk of harming them, especially if you’re doing it on concrete. Things get really hairy when the other person may have weapons you don’t know about. Again, I think your experiences with special needs children is not applicable to policing the larger population.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 8, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Riven posted:

And there are ways to ensure people receive consequences without endangering their lives. I'm a special education teacher who specializes in working with kids with Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities. I am trained in verbal and non-verbal de-escalation, and safe individual and team restraints that are effective and explicitly prevent kids from being hurt or asphyxiated. I will only physically engage with a student if they are directly about to cause harm to themselves or others. That can sometimes include to someone's property, so if a kid is about to break someone's glasses or something, I might restrain, but only if I don't think their parents can reasonably replace that item. The only harm that has ever come to a student I worked with was due to lack of restraint when I should have, and the kid punched through a wire-reinforced window and tore his arm apart.

I don't have a nightstick, taser, gun, flashlight, or cuffs, and yet I somehow manage to control people's behaviors (some of whom are having psychotic episodes or are otherwise being "belligerent") on a daily basis. If I can do it, why can't police? I have a great relationship with my current School Resource Office, and trust him implicitly, but I'm also at a lower middle class school in an upper-middle to upper class district that is well funded and has a decent PD. When I was working in an extremely low-SES neighborhood, the following situation happened:

One of my students got angry at another student in my class, and he got up and left. When that happened, we needed to maintain supervision, so I turned supervision of my class (who were doing independent work) to my assistant, and went to follow the student. Usually he would walk off his anger and come back. I gave him space because I knew he would leave the building if I followed too close. He walked by our SRO's office, who called him in. He didn't go in. This officer was at our school all day every day, knew he was in my class, knew that I had supervision over him, knew he had a disability, and yet because he didn't instantly comply with an order, she went to grab him. He naturally resisted, as he was angry and looking for personal space, so he pulled away. She shoved him into a wall and pulled out her cuffs. He resisted more, so she called for backup. Eventually there were four officers restraining him on the floor, one with their knee in the students back, compressing his lungs. They cuffed him, but then continued to restrain him like that until he was "calm," which was actually because he had essentially been asphyxiated to the point of not being able to struggle.

This is a kid that I could restrain using non-harmful techniques on my own for several minutes, and my assistant and I could hold perpetually if necessary. Why did it take four cops (one kneeling on his lungs) to cuff him?

The bigger issue is that he didn't need to be cuffed. One major part of my training is essentially invoking the Serenity Prayer. "Do I absolutely have to stop this student from wandering the halls?" The cops making these mistakes basically need to take a goddamn breath and center themselves before reacting. Actually, it's ok to let someone be belligerent for awhile, because they will tire themselves and calm down. A lot of cops seem to have no idea about how to de-escalate the situation. They just escalate it until the other person's power level is reached and the cop has more power, which will usually only happen at the physical level. It is the definition of a power trip.

If you absolutely have to punish that lady, worst case you have two officers put the woman in a safe restraint while the other looks through her ID and issues a citation, then you go. But let's look at the Garner case. He was not harming anyone. He was pushing his arms down and away, saying "not today." He was unhappy and non-compliant, but not dangerous. At all. You can't even pull a "he's coming right for us!" thing there. It was just "He's not doing what I want so I'm going to make him." And if that's the expectation that cops have, then you're going to get those situations. I get into extremely stressful situations regularly, and I empathize, because your adrenaline is rushing, and your reptilian brain takes over, and the temptation to make someone comply so you can make the situation "safe" is incredibly compelling. That's why the rules say I can't. If cops can't touch someone, ever, if they're not obviously being dangerous, but have other options available, they will use those options.

Cops have the authorization to use lethal force because they are sometimes put in situations where it is necessary, but many of them just have a hammer and so everything is a loving nail. It's gone from "I can use lethal force when absolutely necessary to protect lives" to "I can do whatever is necessary to gain compliance." No, you can't. You shouldn't. You don't need to. There needs to be a hell of a lot more professional development on this. Again, why does it take four cops to do what two teachers can do? It's not that it does, it's that they're trained to do it that way.

Well, kudos to you for doing a tough job. I stopped being able to participate in systems like that years ago; I worked at an alternative school attached to a psychiatric hospital. As the behavior intervention specialist I directed all restraints and transports, which we did every day, including mechanical restraints. One of the reasons I quit is because I felt like I was participating in the institutional cycle of physical and emotional domination. In the moment, tactically, every one of our decisions was appropriate and carried out with the utmost caring and professionalism, and there were plenty of times where we had to take immediate action and restrain a kid because they were going to seriously hurt themselves in an instant if we didn't.

For example, we had a 16 year old autistic girl who was big, strong, fast and assaultive. She could work placidly at her table with the two educational assistants who were hired to escort her at all times. For weeks at a time she would appear to be totally docile, then suddenly turn, hock a loogie on one EA, slap the poo poo out of the other one and run down the hallway screaming "I want to live in Carrie and Lisa's vagina" before I could look up from my desk. Once I was helping get her onto the bus and as she was seated wearing wrist restraints, she suddenly thrust her head into the window, smashing it. But she was a severe case. There was no need to transport kids or put them in isolation just because they didn't want to sit in class, and we wouldn't allow them to sit in the hallway. We were being hidebound and stupid and kids were suffering because of it. It seemed all too much like police behavior to me.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Riven posted:

It's worth noting that the DPD isn't blameless. The FBI is on them after this incident - for example. But that's just a toss up that there are good cops and bad cops anywhere, but there's still no action here for a pretty clear, egregious use of force.

So while your buddy may be doing de-escalation training, it certainly isn't universally learned.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess this is a really basic question, but are there really so few people who want to be cops that PDs don't need to be the slightest bit choosy? Are some of them literally like that scene in Ghostbuters where Winston comes in and they say "great, you're hired!"?

Don Corneo
Nov 5, 2004
Hohi Hohi

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess this is a really basic question, but are there really so few people who want to be cops that PDs don't need to be the slightest bit choosy? Are some of them literally like that scene in Ghostbuters where Winston comes in and they say "great, you're hired!"?

I think it varies a lot between departments. A major city that has a well-funded department that pays decent wages will have tons of applicants, allowing them to be picky. A podunk town that pays $15/h, not so much.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The NY Daily News did some investigating:

quote:

A Daily News investigation found that at least 179 people were killed by on-duty NYPD officers over the past 15 years. Just three of the deaths have led to an indictment in state court. In another case, a judge threw out the indictment on technical grounds and it was not reinstated.

Only one officer who killed someone while on duty has been convicted, but he was not sentenced to jail time.

NYPD efforts to fix the problem have been pretty unsuccessful.

quote:

Diallo, an African immigrant, was standing in the vestibule of his Bronx apartment building when four white anti-crime cops mistook him for a rape suspect. They ordered him to show his hands; Diallo tried to show them his wallet. The officers mistook it for a gun, and 41 bullets later, the 22-year-old was dead.

The officers were acquitted of murder charges a year later — setting off a sea of protests, new police training procedures and numerous studies of how racial bias influences snap decisions on whether to shoot.

But the number of on-duty police killings has not gone down. The News tallied 11 in 1999, the year Diallo was killed, and 12 this year. In 2012, there were 18, the highest during the 15-year span.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The reality that a lot of the cop supporters don't seem able to acknowledge is that if you're talking to a cop, for whatever reason, then you might be seconds from death or longterm incarceration and have little ability to predict or control the situation. And after they've finished cuffing your body, they'll trash your name in the media in order to protect themselves. That's what is behind "Hands Up".

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Kaal posted:

The reality that a lot of the cop supporters don't seem able to acknowledge is that if you're talking to a cop, for whatever reason, then you might be seconds from death or longterm incarceration and have little ability to predict or control the situation. And after they've finished cuffing your body, they'll trash your name in the media in order to protect themselves. That's what is behind "Hands Up".

Keeping your hands up and following law enforcement direction is a good thing, especially for people being arrested. So if people become more compliant after this it's a societal net positive.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Keeping your hands up and following law enforcement direction is a good thing, especially for people being arrested. So if people become more compliant after this it's a societal net positive.

Well, this is pretty frightening.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

A HOT TOPIC posted:

WHOOOSH, right over the head.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Well yeah, it's probably in your best interests to keep your hands visible at all times around someone who will shoot you if he gets scared. Doesn't really matter whether you're being arrested or not, keep your hands in view and try to avoid sudden movements.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

A HOT TOPIC posted:

What would have been the best course of action for someone who followed law enforcement direction and was shot for it?

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

A HOT TOPIC posted:

Except for those times the cop is so scared that the black person is going to defy logic and physics that they shoot them anyway or claim that the act of raising their hands was them reaching for a gun. Or lie about telling a 12 year old 3 times to comply when they never did. Or taze a restrained guy on a gurney. Or shoot a sleeping 7 year old in the head.

I mean is english your second language? You seem to have missed the numerous examples cited where even officers who stop other officers abusing their power are disciplined rather than the officer power tripping. Trying to lay blame on the victim is retarded in the face of so many cases where the victim has no control over the outcome.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A HOT TOPIC posted:

We shouldn't have to live in a society where people need to "assume the submission position" just to speak with a cop without fear of being blown away on a whim. And the fact that the concern must be borne particularly by black people only makes it worse. You're reflexively blaming the victim here for being "non-compliant" even when we're being completely hypothetical. What you refuse to accept is people who aren't "bad guys" also interact with cops - and that they also see police interaction as an ordeal that they have to survive. A population that is constantly terrified of police is not a societal net positive.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 8, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

A HOT TOPIC posted:

People who don't scare the police (including me because I don't look black) don't have to worry about it. Black people already understand that if they move they are dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ckDJ3xTaE

Nothing has been gained unless you can come to understand this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kaal posted:

We shouldn't have to live in a society where people need to "assume the submission position" just to speak with a cop without fear of being blown away on a whim.

We shouldn't have to, but that is how it is. If you find yourself in a situation where you absolutely must speak to a police officer, keep your hands visible at all times and avoid any sudden movements.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We shouldn't have to, but that is how it is. If you find yourself in a situation where you absolutely must speak to a police officer, keep your hands visible at all times and avoid any sudden movements.

Ok, cool. This is the police reform thread so obviously we're talking about how to change "what is". Hope this helps.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

And especially avoid that suddenest of movements, turning dark.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I dunno if this is the right thread for it, but how the hell was Ronald Ritchie (the guy who told police that John Crawford was pointing a gun at people, then admitted he was lying) not charged with anything? Like that is pretty much conspiracy to commit murder. He basically tricked the police into attacking an unarmed man.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
White dude black victim.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for it, but how the hell was Ronald Ritchie (the guy who told police that John Crawford was pointing a gun at people, then admitted he was lying) not charged with anything? Like that is pretty much conspiracy to commit murder. He basically tricked the police into attacking an unarmed man.

Conspiracy with whom? IANAL, but establishing any sort of culpability for Ritchie is going to be a pretty high bar to clear, since it necessarily removes all agency from the responding officers. Most armed suspect calls don't result in a dead suspect, so establishing that his call was likely to result in Crawford's injury or death is going to be difficult. The decision to shoot and culpability for that rested solely with the responding officers. In some states, lying to the police (much less a 911 dispatcher) in an unsworn statement isn't even a crime.

What he did was clearly wrong, but I'm having a hard time seeing how it was illegal, or how you could even make it so without criminalizing a whole lot of innocent behavior.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 8, 2014

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Plus any kind of culpability for the 911 caller would lead to many unintended consequences in 911 reporting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah if someone calls an ambulance saying someone is having a heart attack, and the ambulance crew shows up instantly starts treating for a heart attack not noticing the dude is actually choking to death, it's not the fault of the 911 caller. It's the paramedic's loving job to assess the situation them selves. Obviously the report really helps, but you still need to confirm before acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

I dunno if this is the right thread for it, but how the hell was Ronald Ritchie (the guy who told police that John Crawford was pointing a gun at people, then admitted he was lying) not charged with anything?

Criminal charges would probably require that he knew his statements were false at the time and made them anyway, not that he made statements which later turned out to be false.

Prosecuting the second one would be really stupid in the context of 911 calls, for obvious reasons.

• Locked thread