Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I have found a red back in a land raider that was being used to chock the wheel of a Ford Laser (a rebranded Mazda)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I live in the UK. Most dangerous thing we have is an adder and we are killing them all off. Just give the Aussies a few years to wipe all the dangerous stuff out.

I have an urge to build more Killa Kans. I know that I will fail to control this urge and all I can think about is giving a bunch trakks. Then I think about making a Warboss based on a Quake 2 Tank. I need to find time.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Big Willy Style posted:

I have found a red back in a land raider that was being used to chock the wheel of a Ford Laser (a rebranded Mazda)

The spider is hardly the strangest thing in this sentence.

Looks like Blood Angels do not have assault marines as troops anymore. [Source: some German guy who has the book]
No big deal to me, but I bet quite a few guys have armies with no tacticals whatsoever and are now pissed off. Overall it looks like the book is quite restrictive in force org: elites are supercrowded, no force org alterations, and their 'special' detachment is just +1 elite choices. Guess we'll wait and see if there is an at-release supplement coming.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
So it's basically: All ye who played with armies that had force org manipulation, gaze upon the new codices and despair at the thought of receiving an update.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

serious gaylord posted:

My bitching has got another FAQ on its way lads. They genuinely thought 'may make any dice roll a 6' meant 'May make a single dice roll a 6'.

The problem is partly because of GW's bizarre insistence on using "dice" as both the plural and the singular when "die" is already a perfectly functional and common term. Is this some sort of weird British thing? I've never seen any other game or company that does it.

krushgroove posted:

there was a blog post recently from a longtime 40K player saying that the Daemons, Eldar and Tau codexes were playtested in a vacuum against one another, which is why they're so powerful.

That doesn't really explain Knights or Space Marines at all, though. I dunno why everyone always ignores SM when talking about the power codices, but it's easily stronger than Daemons and arguably stronger than Tau.

Master Twig posted:

Formations are just straight up broken. They let you break force organization and give those units bonus abilities for zero point cost.

The problem isn't that they have no innate points cost, really; in theory, the "cost" is that you have to take a particular combination of units with little flexibility in selection and in addition to your normal FoC requirements. However, in practice this is meaningless because GW keeps printing formations with extremely powerful abilities that also consist of powerful combinations of units, with the Firebase Cadre being the worst offender (and Adamantine Lance coming in just behind it.) Formations like the Helbrute ones or many of the others are fine because they offer an incentive to play with less-used units and combinations, but the ones that are just the best units from a codex with additional bonuses tacked on are what's killing the idea.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

*Blood Angels stuff*

Ugh. This, plus the handful of other stuff that's also been posted, just absolutely kills BA for me. They're a lovely version of SM with a Chapter Tactic of Furious Charge and nothing else, which is worse than even Raven Guard get, and with worse access to "unique" units to boot. DC and DC Dreads are kinda just awful and their discipline is decent, but the weak Primaris (and competition with Telepathy/Divination) make it unlikely to matter.

Also: no Assault Marines as troops is absolutely balls. What the gently caress.

I really, REALLY don't like the trend for 7E codices.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Mango Polo posted:

So it's basically: All ye who played with armies that had force org manipulation, gaze upon the new codices and despair at the thought of receiving an update.

Which is loving garbage and it's really putting me off on doing anything 40k related. Relegating it to alternate force org charts is theoretically a good idea, except you lose out on ObSec so they end up being a choice you don't really take.

If DA ever get an update, they'll likely remove Death/Ravenwing to match the rest of the books. Same with SM and their bike armies (except not because they're the big seller).

AbusePuppy posted:

I really, REALLY don't like the trend for 7E codices.

I'm just not liking 7e in general. Which is frustrating because for the most part I liked 6e just fine.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 8, 2014

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

AbusePuppy posted:

Also: no Assault Marines as troops is absolutely balls. What the gently caress.

This blows my goddamn mind. Makes me grateful as gently caress that GK still have Terminator troops.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
For a minute there I thought "whoa what the gently caress, thats incredible with Furious Charge"... then I remembered FC only gives +1 strength, not +1 init. And they lost assault marine troops? LOL.

So thats basically their only major gimmick out of the window then. Whats next, Baal Predators become normal vehicles?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

For a minute there I thought "whoa what the gently caress, thats incredible with Furious Charge"... then I remembered FC only gives +1 strength, not +1 init. And they lost assault marine troops? LOL.

So thats basically their only major gimmick out of the window then. Whats next, Baal Predators become normal vehicles?

Well, their unique detachment actually does give +1I when assaulting, so it lets the whole army play with "old" Furious Charge. So that's cool. But you're giving up ObSec for it and not really getting anything else, so...

Also, Baal Predators being in the HS slot to compete with normal Predators (which, according to rumor, are no longer Fast) is pretty stupid. Quick, take two nearly-identical vehicles and make them more similar for no reason!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
At this point, Blood Angels might as well be rolled into Codex: Space Marines.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

At this point, Blood Angels might as well be rolled into Codex: Space Marines.

Perhaps this is the end goal. Make it less likely that people will, when it happens, complain. "they are pretty much vanilla marines already, but now we get centurions and talons too..." Conspiracy theorists unite.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
These leaks really make it sound like they've stripped the Blood Angels of any real flavor beyond their unique units. They didn't even really have any FOC-modifying things except for Dante making Sanguinary Guard troops. Everything else was baked into the list itself and made them decently different. The rumored list basically shoves everything back into their "correct" places in a space marine list without any real consideration.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
No-one has FOC modifying stuff anymore. Thats what unbound is for. Its lame as hell.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, White Scars are better at being bikes than Ravenwing is...but nobody can do terminators like Deathwing. That'll make me sad when that gets pulled out of the codex :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

serious gaylord posted:

No-one has FOC modifying stuff anymore. Thats what unbound is for. Its lame as hell.
That's not really what I meant. Codexes are losing anything that modifies the regular FOC in favor of entirely new charts instead. My point was more that this rumored list shows that they've taken things like assault marines as troops or regular dreadnoughts as heavy support which didn't require characters to unlock and tossed them back where they'd belong in a regular space marine list. The unique Blood Angels FOC is pretty sad too. One extra elite? That's it?

Icon Of Sin posted:

I mean, White Scars are better at being bikes than Ravenwing is...but nobody can do terminators like Deathwing. That'll make me sad when that gets pulled out of the codex :(
The good news is that the basic Dark Angels list will be unchanged. :v: I can see Deathwing and Ravenwing getting their own FOCs whenever Dark Angels get redone.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 9, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's not like they won't release day one DLC that has alternate FOCs.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I wonder if they'll stick with the "no more FOC manipulation" when they get around to updating CSM and DA. That stuff is central to some of their signature builds.

I should point out for those unaware, there is sort of a remnant of FOC manipulation in the DE book: upgrading warriors to trueborn and wyches to blood brides makes those units elite.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I can see Deathwing and Ravenwing getting their own FOCs whenever Dark Angels get redone.

Which won't have ObSec and thus, probably be garbage.

The entire point of Deathwing is to have scoring fearless terminators; it's the only thing that they really have going for them, and removing ObSec (You KNOW they will) is hot loving garbage. And I bet you'll still have to take Belial's overpriced rear end too.

They'll probably do the same thing with CSM and their marked lords/sorcerers. Gotta make this poo poo as homogenized and bland as possible.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They could probably roll DA into the main marine codex now if they really wanted to. Chapter tactics: stubborn for everyone, terminators get fearless, and preferred enemy: CSM. Throw in a few named characters and chapter relics for taste, and it's done. It's not like anyone uses the terrible flyers out of that book anyways.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
More stuff:
-Dante does not unlock Sanguinary Guard as Troops
-Mephiston has no Invuln save
-Sanguinor does not have Independent Character
-Sanguinary Guard troop max is 10 now

Rumored Relics
- One jump pack that allows the bearer and his unit re-roll when DS and when other units Intercept -> Snapshots. (25)
- Gives Fear, and fear tests are done with -2 L (10)
- One item that gives an additional warlord trait strategic table. (15)
- One physic weapon +2S, AP4, bearar may re-roll 1 in the psychic phase. If rerolled die is a 1, bearer takes one wound. No saves allowed. (10)
- One Master-crafted plasma pistol, that does not get hot. (25)
- One AP2 power sword. (25)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

They could probably roll DA into the main marine codex now if they really wanted to. Chapter tactics: stubborn for everyone, terminators get fearless, and preferred enemy: CSM. Throw in a few named characters and chapter relics for taste, and it's done. It's not like anyone uses the terrible flyers out of that book anyways.

I'd kill for storm talons and bikes that didn't cost so loving much.

More stuff:
-Dante does not unlock Sanguinary Guard as Troops
-Mephiston has no Invuln save
-Sanguinor does not have Independent Character
-Sanguinary Guard troop max is 10 now

Rumored Relics
- One jump pack that allows the bearer and his unit re-roll when DS and when other units Intercept -> Snapshots. (25)
- One physic weapon +2S, AP4, bearar may re-roll 1 in the psychic phase. If rerolled die is a 1, bearer takes one wound. No saves allowed. (10)

Those are some weak-rear end relics.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Those are some weak-rear end relics.

Hello BA relics! The Tyranid relics have been warming the bench, waiting for your arrival.

It's actually kind of funny watching everything steadily move into an overall state of Bleh, codex after codex.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Well, we were pretty sure the DE codex was going to be poo poo as well at this point out from release, and I think that book is solid and thematically strong. I'm trying not to get too disheartened by it just yet.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Well, we were pretty sure the DE codex was going to be poo poo as well at this point out from release, and I think that book is solid and thematically strong. I'm trying not to get too disheartened by it just yet.

I always think of the guard book getting written off as the worst thing GW have ever done just for none of the 'leaks' to be true.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

I should point out for those unaware, there is sort of a remnant of FOC manipulation in the DE book: upgrading warriors to trueborn and wyches to blood brides makes those units elite.

I don't really think that counts at all, though. That's the same as if the SM codex just listed Veterans under the Tactical Marine listing and had a clause about "for an extra 4pts per model, you can upgrade this unit to Veterans and give them +1A each, but the unit becomes Elites." It's just rolling two units into a single text entry, not actually "switching" anything. (It would be a different matter if Trueborn/Bloodbrides were allowed to be taken as Troops, as Warriors and Wyches are.)

Rumored Relics

-Okayish (jump packs are 15 anyways)
-bad but cheap
-amazingly powerful just like the Ork one
-middling but worth at least thinking about
-stupid because it obviates its own advantage
-too expensive for what it does.

Really, getting one useable Relic is as much as most codices can hope for.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 9, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Hello BA relics! The Tyranid relics have been warming the bench, waiting for your arrival.

It's actually kind of funny watching everything steadily move into an overall state of Bleh, codex after codex.

GW could soon be the EA games of tabletop

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I always think of the guard book getting written off as the worst thing GW have ever done just for none of the 'leaks' to be true.

This is what I am clinging onto at this point. Three seems to be such a dearth of reasons to play blood Angels in the new book as described that I wonder if this is just to invoke a response.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Just found a blog link that's compiling this info:
http://spikeybitsblog.com/2014/12/new-blood-angels-codex-rules-leak.html

Also, it looks like the Reclusiarch is gone. I don't know why, but this has been the first thing that really disappoints me.

Edit: Yeah, if these turned out to be lies, I'd be pretty happy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Also, it looks like the Reclusiarch is gone. I don't know why, but this has been the first thing that really disappoints me.

I'm sorry Blood Angels players. I'm a big fan of my Interrogator-Chaplains and I wish everyone got better chaplains too. :smith:

Sanguinary Priests are HQs now? I hope that's misleading and it turns out they're unlocked like techmarines.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I dunno, I would say the DE book is poo poo. It's got really bland codex entries, virtually no special rules, extremely limited options, weak relics and warlord traits, and no solutions to the gaping problems that were present in the previous codex. The ONLY good thing about it is that its special detachment gives you lots of options in the FoC slot that you want the most (but the special rules for that detachment are total garbage.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I legitimately miss when a new codex used to drop and the rumours were like, awwwwwwwwww poo poo they did whaaaaaaaaaaat?! That's awesome! Cool new units?! Awesome!

Tau codex is the last one I remember.

Now it's just, oh a new codex update, they made everything more bland I guess :effort:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^ Trading bitching about things being overpowered for things being boring isn't that much better.

Mango Polo posted:

Are orks and D Eldar doing that bad now that people have had time to digest them? Also, those relics are usable for the points, unlike the tyranid ones.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I never thought I'd miss the days of waiting 6+ months for a new codex, but here we are

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Although did we really need a ton of different codexes for "Imperial Space Marines"?

This is just my observation seeing as I started playing during 3rd/4th and it feels like they are kind of returning it to what we had pre-5th edition where the gimmicks got dialed into overdrive, divergent to an extent but still adhering to Codex Astartes.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

Although did we really need a ton of different codexes for "Imperial Space Marines"?

This is just my observation seeing as I started playing during 3rd/4th and it feels like they are kind of returning it to what we had pre-5th edition where the gimmicks got dialed into overdrive, divergent to an extent but still adhering to Codex Astartes.

The thing to remember about that is, for the most part the 3rd Ed and 4th Ed codices were universally disliked and (with a handful of exceptions) considered to be very boring and poorly balanced. Returning to that era of codex design isn't really a good thing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Which is clearly in contrast to the universally liked, exciting, and extremely well balanced codexes which exist today?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The guard codex is balanced and good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Now I feel dumb for dropping money on the Deathstorm boxset :smith:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I bought two. Then again, I wanted the 'nids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ghetto wormhole posted:

The guard codex is balanced and good.
Old guard name was op, nerf justified.

• Locked thread