Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
The protections against backsliding into privatisation are an armed proletariat + worker's committees, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

People always say we need to "run government like a business". Wouldn't a smart business buy up assets with extreme long term profitability when they are at their weakest at pennies to the dollar? Hell, jack taxes up on the oil industry to put them out of business faster and then use those funds to buy them out when they are on their knees. That's running government like a business. Or do conservatives just mean "over pay upper management and only think in the short term" when they use that soundbite?

And think of all the money the government could make if it owned a huge chunk of the housing stock, and think of all the money the economy could make if stable affordable housing was available to people.

In practice running things like a business means having an obsession with operating profit and share price so that you can maximise the P/E to the benefit of your shareholders who are a finicky bunch. Not really consistent with long-term planning or government affairs for that matter as can be observed with swedish state-owned company Vattenfall.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also pretty hard to privatize poo poo when the political parties that would do that will be mostly behind bars. Or behind sub-standard curtain wall glass (gotta do something with those lovely vancouver and toronto towers)

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

Baudin posted:

Basically the glut lasted for about 20 years from 1986ish to 2003 or so. It killed a lot of industry in Alberta which took a long time to recover. Prices fell from about $75 per barrel to $25 (based on inflation adjusted figures to 2004).

From wikipedia:

That was my childhood, basically. I grew up in one of the most economically depressed areas in the province. Everyone was poor. The people that weren't were just really creative in how they evaded taxes and stole from their company. I was laid off as welders apprentice in the 90's because there was no work. Now everyone speeds around in brand new 3/4 ton diesels carrying 2 quads. I'm apparently the only one who remembers the 90's.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Baronjutter posted:

You'd have to be impossibly stupid to take valuable public owned housing stock and sell it off for short term gains, no one would ever be that stupid. 100% impossible.

I know you're being sarcastic with that (unless you aren't and missed us discussing how BC Housing is doing exactly that). Here's a good article about how the government would rather funnel money to 3rd parties through nepotism.

quote:

Abbott said Atira struggled for two years trying to cover the repairs from its operating budget, in part because she was concerned about the optics of a conflict of interest that exists because she is married to BC Housing CEO Shayne Ramsay.

quote:

Nearly two-thirds of Atira’s revenue comes from BC Housing, with the rest from rental income, donations and other government agencies. Last year BC Housing gave Atira $12.3 million.

Atira is one of the organizations lined up to buy many of the buildings that BC Housing is offloading over the next three years.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Bhurak posted:

That was my childhood, basically. I grew up in one of the most economically depressed areas in the province. Everyone was poor. The people that weren't were just really creative in how they evaded taxes and stole from their company. I was laid off as welders apprentice in the 90's because there was no work. Now everyone speeds around in brand new 3/4 ton diesels carrying 2 quads. I'm apparently the only one who remembers the 90's.

I was raised in the 90's in rural Alberta. My dad owned a small/medium sized oil and gas sector company (insulation) and those years have definitely left their mark. We weren't completely broke but we also didn't spend money on much until the oil price picked up in 2002/2003.

e: V yup.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 8, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bhurak posted:

Now everyone speeds around in brand new 3/4 ton diesels carrying 2 quads. I'm apparently the only one who remembers the 90's.

This is 100% true. My wife does insurance claims from Albertans and she says every other claim is a huge truck with quads in the back. She had no idea what a quad was until she started working there. Her albertan stereotype claim is a 20-30 year old male running his dodge ram with a quad in the back off the road into a tree while speeding drunk down a rural highway to make it to the titty bar before closing. Like that exact story is a huge number of claims, or something close. It's always a huge truck and or a quad.

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

This is 100% true. My wife does insurance claims from Albertans and she says every other claim is a huge truck with quads in the back. She had no idea what a quad was until she started working there. Her albertan stereotype claim is a 20-30 year old male running his dodge ram with a quad in the back off the road into a tree while speeding drunk down a rural highway to make it to the titty bar before closing. Like that exact story is a huge number of claims, or something close. It's always a huge truck and or a quad.

righand.txt

Those are the ones that don't get caught. Probably a third of the guys on my rig didn't have their license anymore. Another third probably shouldn't have still had theirs.

Edit:
That's how you tell it's a personal truck. company trucks all seem to be Fords.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Someone should unionise the girls working in the tittybars those rig hands seem so damned eager to visit.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

melon cat posted:

I'm actually not familiar with how bad it got. Was it in any way comparable to the current oil shock?

The house I was born in cost less then 50k in the early 80s in Edmonton. It was in the nicest area on the nicest street in the city.

Ceciltron posted:

Someone should unionise the girls working in the tittybars those rig hands seem so damned eager to visit.

The titty bar girl wouldn't want to take the lose.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Moderately off-topic: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2014/12/08/2064091/shale-oil-gluts-1980s-dynasty-and-dallas-edition/

I was too young to care but Dallas and Dynasty must have has some pretty awesome writers back in the day.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

PT6A posted:

You seem unusually gleeful about something that pretty much everyone in the industry recognizes as a temporary disruption. The next two to three months will likely continue to be bad, but no one I've talked to, in or out of the industry, seems particularly worried about the issue over the long term. But, by all means, continue to look at spot prices and masturbate with self-satisfaction if that's what does it for you.

Temporary disruptions are quite literally all it takes when you have a bubble going on and everyone is living paycheck to paycheck. Someone misses a payment, starts a foreclosure which lowers other property values around it and then before you know it everything is crashing as quickly as it rose as everyone tries to get their money out.

Also if people in the industry knew what the gently caress they were talking about oil wouldn't be at this price in the first place.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?
Fort Mac isn't going anywhere and worst case for oil companies is that prices stay low for a few years instead of a few months, reducing near-term profits and delaying development. Long-term, nothing is going to change in the tar sands.

What I'm hoping (not quite masturbating) for is an economic shock strong and sustained enough that people start defaulting on their debt and we finally get a return to semi-normalcy in pricing (in housing to be sure but the TSX would also be nice).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tsa posted:

Also if people in the industry knew what the gently caress they were talking about oil wouldn't be at this price in the first place.

Yeah, seriously. This stuff is unknowable. Just look at the foolish comments by American banks leading up to the GFC. It wasn't that they were trying to obfuscate - they had no idea what was coming.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Buskas posted:

Fort Mac isn't going anywhere and worst case for oil companies is that prices stay low for a few years instead of a few months, reducing near-term profits and delaying development. Long-term, nothing is going to change in the tar sands.

What makes you think that the tar sands are different from any other resource industry (mining, pulp & paper, etc) and that they won't just mothball operations that are losing money until the price of the commodity recovers?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

What makes you think that the tar sands are different from any other resource industry (mining, pulp & paper, etc) and that they won't just mothball operations that are losing money until the price of the commodity recovers?

because this time it's different

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Rime posted:

Operating costs are about $20 per barrel, capital and debt costs are about $9 per barrel. You wouldn't shut off the operations until you lose more than the cost of the debt, since you're going to lose that anyway.

e: source: http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/is-it-time-to-panic-in-the-oil-sands/

Cultural Imperial posted:

because this time it's different
It's never different, it's always the same.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Rime posted:

Where did I say they wouldn't mothball operations? I think you missed the part about "delaying development".

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Buskas posted:

Where did I say they wouldn't mothball operations? I think you missed the part about "delaying development".

Because delaying development is very very different from shutting down well established operations, which involves a lot more expenses for the operator.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Buskas posted:

Delaying development is very different from turning off an existing and fully constructed operation, something which happens constantly in other industries. (TECK closes and re-opens their Tumbler Ridge mine every time the drat wind changes, these days.)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Rime posted:

Delaying development is very different from turning off an existing and fully constructed operation, something which happens constantly in other industries. (TECK closes and re-opens their Tumbler Ridge mine every time the drat wind changes, these days.)

I wonder how much capital it costs to open a coal mine compared to an oil sands/SAGD operation, and how fast the mechanical aspects depreciate when mothballed.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Rime posted:

a) True, but both are done at least in part to delay the timing of capex (sustaining vs development, granted), which is what I was getting at.

b) I still never said anything about companies not mothballing operating projects.

3) Teck doesn't own the Tumbler Ridge mine. You're thinking of Walter Energy.

)e None of this has anything to do with the main point I was making, which is that in the long run there is no difference to the big Fort Mac operators between a 3-month and a 3-year price depression. That oil is still going to come out of the ground sooner or later, barring a sea change in environmental regulation, surge in alternative products, or some other fundamental shift in the industry. So there's not a whole lot of point getting horny about the pain the oil sector is going to feel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monaghan posted:

I am giddy at the thought of Alberta's smug attitude towards equalization payments comes and bites them in the rear end once their economy tanks.

Though loving LOL if you think they'd ever go left as a result of the oil crash.

I always lol at other threads in which albertans whine about other provinces stealing their money.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

etalian posted:

I always lol at other threads in which albertans whine about other provinces stealing their money.

the only correct response to Albertans (and their Atlantic wannabes) complaining about equalization is to demand back payment with interest for the years that Alberta had absolutely nothing and was subsidized by Ontario and Quebec

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Quick acid test for this collapse tomorrow morning: check if the tsx bounces back up.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Buskas posted:

3) Teck doesn't own the Tumbler Ridge mine. You're thinking of Walter Energy.

Teck owns the Quintette mine in Tumbler Ridge.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Quick acid test for this collapse tomorrow morning: check if the tsx bounces back up.

Is this technical analysis hocus pocus? Or do you mean something more precise?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Is this technical analysis hocus pocus? Or do you mean something more precise?

This is pure voodoo economics

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Franks Happy Place posted:

Teck owns the Quintette mine in Tumbler Ridge.

Which hasn't been operational in over a decade, is a development project, and isn't what's being discussed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
My mistake, I just assumed it was TECK because they own everything everywhere.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Not to mention the whole OPEC clever scheme is a fools errand since rapidly improving oil extraction technology means the cost for things like shale oil keep decreasing over time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-we-missed-the-oil-price-crash/2014/12/05/d1fbf552-7a57-11e4-9a27-6fdbc612bff8_story.html

quote:

An even more critical reason people missed the oil crash was a failure to think seriously about how politics shapes oil production, particularly in the Middle East. Two mistaken assumptions have long convinced people that prices couldn’t fall too far.

The first is that OPEC is a well-functioning cartel that keeps oil prices near an agreed target. Faced with a modest surplus of oil in the global market, a coherent cartel would have pared back its production, propping up prices and revenue.

Except OPEC has long been miserable at coordinating; it’s a collection of countries with little in common aside from oil. Qatar doesn’t care about Venezuela’s future. Saudi Arabia would rather see Iran fail than succeed. It’s all too tempting for each member to encourage the others to cut production while doing nothing themselves: They thus might reap greater benefits from higher oil prices. The problem — common to all cartels — is that when every member has this attitude, no one cuts production, and the cartel crumbles.

The lack of OPEC cohesion we’ve seen recently isn’t the exception — it’s the norm. When oil prices last crashed, in 2008, OPEC was slow to respond. The group didn’t announce a real production cut until prices had fallen from $145 to $60, and only when they dropped below $40 did the group take decisive action. Similarly, in the mid-1980s OPEC did not cooperate in the face of painfully low prices; only when Saudi Arabia punished the group by flooding the market did it achieve a modicum of coordination. Indeed, to the extent that OPEC has succeeded previously in quickly pulling oil off the market, it has been in the face of intense pressure, either from ultra-low prices or, in the 1973 oil crisis, unusual geopolitics.

Even for those who doubted OPEC as a whole, there was always the second assumption: that the Saudis would step in alone. Saudi Arabia, which controls roughly a third of OPEC production, has long been more active than the group’s other members in attempting to influence markets. And in recent years, many analysts concluded that Saudi Arabia had decided that $100 a barrel was the right price for oil. This belief was reinforced by the Arab Spring, which spurred massive Saudi spending to buy domestic peace, convincing many that relatively high prices would remain essential to the Saudi bottom line. Such was the perceived power of the Saudis that observers also imagined Riyadh would prevent prices from rising much higher, lest consumers start abandoning oil.

History cautions greater skepticism. Just 15 years ago, most oil analysts predicted that crude would stabilize around $20 a barrel for the foreseeable future, arguing that this was the magic price the Saudis — and OPEC — would target. The 2000s proved that spectacularly wrong: Oil prices rose nearly 15-fold in less than 10 years while Saudi Arabia did little to respond. And Saudi Arabia does not need to balance its budget every year; it has money in the bank and has often run deficits in the past.

Yet despite confidently discounting the possibility of a price crash mere months ago, analysts are already explaining with great confidence what the new oil world will look like. They herald an age in which U.S. oil dominates world markets — one reporter went so far as to nominate the shale revolution as Time magazine’s Person of the Year — and predict low prices for years to come.

More circumspection is in order. The past decade has taught us that oil prices are rarely stable for long and that political conditions, not just economic fundamentals, are critical to their evolution. Indeed, some analysts who paid attention to geopolitical factors warned of a price drop at least a year ago, when a range of forecasters projected far more supply than demand. I was typical of those, warning of a looming price crash for nearly two years — but was never able to nail down the timing.

but i thought a bunch of yokel shitheads in calgary know this will only last a couple months

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's pretty normal for any type of commodity to have boom and bust cycles.

Most of the delusion is for things like the Albertan orcs oil would have a stable $75 per barrel price over time.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is becoming far off topic, but what idiot in their right mind expects the shale boom to have any long term effect on prices? Everyone I've read is in agreement that it won't even measurably exist in five to ten years, so rapidly are the deposits exhausted.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There are a LOT of people who think if it wasn't for stupid western environmental and labour laws and general nanny-state anti-business red tape we'd just produce our own oil and refine our own gas and prices would plummet and we'd be back to cheap as poo poo gas. It's like Vancouverites who think if the city just finally stopped all the anti-developer red tape and let them build enough condo's everything would be affordable.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1658280/exclusive-canada-plans-forensic-audits-millionaire-migrants-finances

quote:

Applicants to Canada’s new millionaire migration scheme will have their finances subjected to an intensive forensic audit by private-sector accountants, government tendering documents have revealed.

The auditors will also be required to investigate whether applicants have any criminal past or whether they are “politically exposed”.

The unprecedented scrutiny could act as a deterrent to some wealthy mainland Chinese, who made up a large majority of applicants to the now-defunct Immigrant Investor Programme, which is soon to be replaced by the Immigrant Investor Venture Capital (IIVC) scheme.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

:getin:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Looks like they'll be moving to Australia then.

Also from a survey of Australian property Investors/speculators:

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.newstalk770.com/2014/12/09/48343/?sc_ref=twitter

quote:

City Council approved a number of secondary suites Monday, but several council members, including the mayor are getting increasingly uncomfortable with the process. Mayor Naheed Nenshi says,

“I felt a punch in my gut today when I heard one woman beg council for the ability to put a stove in her basement so she could afford her retirement. And I heard another older gentleman say he really wants to live with his son because he and his wife have had medical issues and they can’t afford rent in this city”

Nenshi apologized to those who had to talk about their personal issues in their search for a place to live.

Secondary suites are back before council next week when councillors consider a new policy and process for approval.

hahahahahah