Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I had a dream about dwarves digging into a mountain but it was full of horrors and they all died and I was ok with it.

Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Hm, my military guys keep dropping dead.
I put my guys in iron armor (mail chest, leggings, 2 gauntlets, 2 high boots, helm), and put them in a danger room for a while (some tiles with wooden spears attached to a lever on repeat-pull) and train them till they're fairly high level. They generally suffer some damage - destroyed ear, back right tooth on the floor, etc, but nothing more than that.
Then I'll unassign them from danger-room duty and let them piss around doing their thing (deactivating the squad, even), but after a month or two they just die.
I've got a chief medical dwarf assigned, and a hospital with beds and tables zoned.
Dwarf therapist doesn't show any major injuries or anything.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or do legendary speardwarves just live fast die young?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Does your fort have soap and a water source? When you look at your wounded dwarves, do they have dwarf pus in their inventory? Because that sounds like death by infection.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

PublicOpinion posted:

Does your fort have soap and a water source? When you look at your wounded dwarves, do they have dwarf pus in their inventory? Because that sounds like death by infection.

No, neither of those things! Gosh. I haven't checked for dwarf pus (eww) but I guess it makes sense, in a dwarf fortress kind of way!
Additionally somehow my farmers have managed to gently caress up to the point where we've got no booze and nothing to make booze from, so maybe I'll bump water access up the list.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

awesmoe posted:

Hm, my military guys keep dropping dead.
I put my guys in iron armor (mail chest, leggings, 2 gauntlets, 2 high boots, helm), and put them in a danger room for a while (some tiles with wooden spears attached to a lever on repeat-pull) and train them till they're fairly high level. They generally suffer some damage - destroyed ear, back right tooth on the floor, etc, but nothing more than that.
Then I'll unassign them from danger-room duty and let them piss around doing their thing (deactivating the squad, even), but after a month or two they just die.
I've got a chief medical dwarf assigned, and a hospital with beds and tables zoned.
Dwarf therapist doesn't show any major injuries or anything.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or do legendary speardwarves just live fast die young?

Yeah, infections are the likely culprit if you have no water or soap. You can go to the health screen in the 'z' menu and see more easily who has what without having to go to each individual dwarf (don't think it lists anything the doctors haven't diagnosed/found though).

Also, are you using wooden spears or wooden training spears?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah, infections are the likely culprit if you have no water or soap. You can go to the health screen in the 'z' menu and see more easily who has what without having to go to each individual dwarf (don't think it lists anything the doctors haven't diagnosed/found though).

Also, are you using wooden spears or wooden training spears?

Training spears definitely. Their health in the z screen doesn't show anything too alarming immediately after sparring, just bruising or whatever, so yeah infection sounds likely*. I've got a few soap bars now and am well on my way to flooding the basement setting up a well.

*except for that one guy who was feeling faint after training, then started hauling rock coffins around. I'm pretty clear on what happened to him.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1 kg keas keep stealing my 16 kg ballista bolts.

drat birds.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I have a vampire in my fortress and I have no idea who it is or how to deal with it. This is magical.

And one of my migrants dropped dead of his injuries just moments after arriving at the fort. As much nostalgia as I have for 40d, DF2014 is so amazing I don't even care. :allears:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Moridin920 posted:

drat birds.

Perhaps they've carried it on a line?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Triskelli posted:

Perhaps they've carried it on a line?

Are you suggesting that +coconut wood ballista bolts+ migrate?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Neurion posted:

Are you suggesting that +coconut wood ballista bolts+ migrate?

Then again, ballista bolts are non-migratory (due to export prohibitions).

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dashticle posted:

Then again, ballista bolts are non-migratory (due to export prohibitions).

I heard'a migratory ballista bolts. Migrated from the front end of the ballista right into the side of a whale.

Like a log smacking against a fleshwall, we hadn't invented the pointy end yet you see.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

Moridin920 posted:

drat birds.

Kea - The Smartest Parrot [THE COMPLETE DOCUMENTA…: http://youtu.be/ak6omNRd6-g

This doesn't surprise me. I've heard of them disassembling cars parked overnight. They are assholes.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

HardKase posted:

This doesn't surprise me. I've heard of them disassembling cars parked overnight. They are assholes.

They are cheeky little bastards and I will always love them.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

HardKase posted:

Disassemble is a little strong but they rip off windscreen wipers and the rubber seals around the doors doors/windscreen etc. They're like seagulls but with sharper beaks and less fear.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just started playing after a few years of not doing so, and on my first embark on the most happy peaceful world I could make a giant roc came down and ate all my dwarves. Is there a way I can avoid this happening?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Dwarf Fortress 2014: a giant roc came down and ate all my dwarves. Is there a way I can avoid this happening?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwarf Fortress 2014: a giant roc came down and ate all my dwarves. Is there a way I can ensure this keeps happening?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only part of Dwarf Fortress that feels impossibly obtuse at the moment is the military system. Getting guys equipped, trained, and into a fight is way too difficult, with dozens of dumb little bugs and idiosyncrasies that exist solely to trip you up.

It used to be so easy too. What the hell happened.

Minecarts are similarly obtuse but they're a purely optional thing, I've never had a fort that needed minecarts since I've usually got 100 losers at any time whose only means of self-fulfillment is to haul blocks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, I've liked the military system since like a couple weeks after it dropped, the control is so much better. There were issues, sure, but it was a hell of a lot better than "don't let your soldiers get too awesome, they'll stop being useful and just gently caress around on their own for the rest of the life of the fort." Having schedules that can move dwarves from active to inactive to patrolling to training and even split squads across those orders is freakin' awesome. I just wish I could have MORE squads to schedule up.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I actually looked up a few tutorials for how to work the military system, and I've gone from complete befuddlement to understanding how it works pretty well. Sure, it can be intimidating when you first look at it, but after you know what everything means it becomes a fairly powerful tool for organizing your squads. Sure, they sometimes don't always preform everything as well as they should (In my current fort, a skill-less dwarf set for the danger room seems really like delaying putting on her helmet), but its still an amazing system.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I agree. The scheduling system allows for fully automated fortress defenses and I wouldn't want to give up an ounce of that power for the sake of ease-of-use, no matter how arcane the current interface is.

Seriously seeing the months turn and 4 dwarves sigh as they rise from the mead hall for their shift in the guard towers fills me with glee :3:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So after some more wereRhinos attacked we abandoned the fort. But the fort was to precious to leave alone, what with the materials to make steel. We came back and after another Rhino attack and then a goblin ambush we were down to 3 guys. The top priority was to put a lever and drawbridge and just hole up until help arrived.I think it took 3 years for migrants to become stupid enough to attempt the journey. Migrants came and the one dwarf who was training nonstop finally had recruits. We fended off a seige and now the fortress is flourishing. Let Trotttrumpet be a testament to dwarf persistence everywhere.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Let's talk about Floodgates and Pressure Plates. Can someone explain why I need to mine out the level above the one I want to place either in to get them to be placed? It's not a huge issue, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to why that is the case.

Also, If I'm making a well for a hospital (piping in water from umpteen Z levels up), is having the min and max trigger for the pressure plate to close the gate going to cause any problems?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Warbird posted:

Also, If I'm making a well for a hospital (piping in water from umpteen Z levels up), is having the min and max trigger for the pressure plate to close the gate going to cause any problems?
You can push the water through a pump to change the pressure level to the level of the pump. And I think pushing it through a diagonal still depressurizes it.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 9, 2014

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish I could get to the point were I need a military but I always end up with my fort falling apart shortly before it becomes necessary due to lack of clothes, beers, ect. Or in one case my dwarves just going insane because one guy couldn't get his materials so he decided to break down and start screaming at everyone.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
So I screwed up my fortress, and ended up channelling my moat into my dining room. Luckily i hadn't tried to put water in it. Then we got attacked by a weresquirrel who heavily injured my expedition leader and both miners before getting decapitated by one of the miners.

Then they all bled to death in the hallway because i don't understand the medical system.

I think im getting the hang of this losing thing.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622

Dwarf fortress 40.19 r2 starter pack is out now, if anyone else was waiting on it.

code:
40.19 r2
 - re-added Mayday graphics (oops)
 - reset default settings; engravings start obscured

40.19 r1
** updated DF to v0.40.19
 - updated DFHack to 40.19-r1; includes Stonesense
 - updated graphics for changed raws
 - updated all keybindings files
 - updated TwbT to v5.36
 - added stockpile settings plugin; load and save across games
 - added settings pack per Mechanixm's stockpiles guide
 - disabled seedwatch due to egregious output

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Can splode'd ears still get infected? One dwarf in my training room got his ear busted, but he seems content to stick around inside the room, and there doesn't seem to be anything about it on the health screen. I have plentiful supplies of soap and water, for anyone wondering.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you have a chief medical dwarf, he'll eventually get called in for a diagnosis and then eventual treatment if there's something to diagnose. If there isn't, there's nothing you can do. Medical stuff is pretty much all automated once you have your hospital set up and staffed. I think that the answer is yes, though, and pretty much any injury that leaves a wound can be infected, but who knows.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think any wounds can get infected, but not all wounds will be infected nor will all infections kill.

As an aside, make sure you aren't using contaminated or mud-laced water to clean wounds as that will have the opposite of the desired effect. It's a massive pain in the rear end to make sure your cistern has no mud in it as flowing water will carry mud in more often than not despite your best efforts. However, if you have a cistern that is multiple Z-levels, only the water at the very bottom will be mud-laced. Since a well draws from the first layer the bucket hits (the top of the cistern in other words), simply making sure your cistern never gets low enough to the point where the very last layer of water is being used will make sure you're using non-muddied water.

Putting water through a pump also cleans it of any mud or contaminants I think.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 10, 2014

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I think any wounds can get infected, but not all wounds will be infected nor will all infections kill.

As an aside, make sure you aren't using contaminated or mud-laced water to clean wounds as that will have the opposite of the desired effect. It's a massive pain in the rear end to make sure your cistern has no mud in it as flowing water will carry mud in more often than not despite your best efforts. However, if you have a cistern that is multiple Z-levels, only the water at the very bottom will be mud-laced. Since a well draws from the first layer the bucket hits (the top of the cistern in other words), simply making sure your cistern never gets low enough to the point where the very last layer of water is being used will make sure you're using non-muddied water.

Putting water through a pump also cleans it of any mud or contaminants I think.

Built Fortifications (not carved from natural or constructed walls) also seem to prevent mud within them and a z-level above them. I'm unsure if a well bucket can still get in through the top of them (my water systems rarely drain that low), but dwarves sure can fall into them and drown without being able to swim out.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

Does river water/cavern count as muddied? I haven't really checked the buckets my hospital uses much, but that's because I read on the wiki that the only kind of water I need to worry about is stagnant.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VerdantSquire posted:

Does river water/cavern count as muddied? I haven't really checked the buckets my hospital uses much, but that's because I read on the wiki that the only kind of water I need to worry about is stagnant.

Yeah. You can see if there's mud in your cistern by going to the bottom level and using k on the water. Wiki says there's 'pile of mud' and 'dusting of mud,' and the latter doesn't matter but I still would avoid using it because I'm not sure the wiki is correct about that.

As long as the well isn't drawing from water that's 1 level deep it won't matter though, as it will grab the clean water from the water above the bottom muddy water first. It's like a sediment layer of mud or something.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Goddamnit gently caress piss it happened again! I've got soap and I've got a hospital and I think I've got a working well but it's kinda hard to tell and I've got a chief medical guy and my stupid fuckhead training dwarves keep dropping dead. Screw this, screw danger rooms, screw everything, channelglides is a stupid name for a fortress anyway. It's time to pull the lever.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Sparring works pretty well to train your dudes so a danger room probably isn't necessary. I've never had anyone drop dead for no apparent reason.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwarves will NEVER report ear/nose injuries, they only ever get diagnosed if the dwarf goes to the hospital for other injuries.

Also I have literally never had a single danger room INJURY, much less casualty, since I've enforced a dress code that includes a cloak so my dwarves cover up their tender, tender necks.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

Dwarves will NEVER report ear/nose injuries, they only ever get diagnosed if the dwarf goes to the hospital for other injuries.

Yup.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Excelzior posted:

Also I have literally never had a single danger room INJURY, much less casualty, since I've enforced a dress code that includes a cloak so my dwarves cover up their tender, tender necks.
Thank you for this! I'm glad its a bug and not just me being retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Goddamnit gently caress piss it happened again! I've got soap and I've got a hospital and I think I've got a working well but it's kinda hard to tell and I've got a chief medical guy and my stupid fuckhead training dwarves keep dropping dead. Screw this, screw danger rooms, screw everything, channelglides is a stupid name for a fortress anyway. It's time to pull the lever.

Dwarf Fortress 2014: It's time to pull the lever.