Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

Then her mom bought a Caravan, drove it for over ten years without any issues, then gave it to us and we drove it for a couple more years and the only thing that ever went wrong with it was a speed sensor on the transmission which I fixed for $50. It was a great roadtrip/hauling car that had more utility than an SUV and I'd own another one in a heartbeat.

I need to ask my dad how many transmissions his old Xerox work Caravans went through. It was a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah the A604 is temperamental and not the most dependable transmission, especially if you neglect it and don't use the correct Mopar specified fluid. My guess is if it was a fleet car they were dumping the cheapest poo poo possible in it.

I've heard horror stories but I never had any issues with mine besides the sensor.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Anyone who doubts whether Chryco really belongs down on the bottom of any quality comparisons needs only read DasVolk's thread about his Viper. If they can't even build their flagship good enough to keep the engine in one piece for 5000 miles, do you really want to roll the dice on their entry level models?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Anyone who doubts whether Chryco really belongs down on the bottom of any quality comparisons needs only read DasVolk's thread about his Viper. If they can't even build their flagship good enough to keep the engine in one piece for 5000 miles, do you really want to roll the dice on their entry level models?

If they actually come through and give him, say, a new one as a replacement, I think they're actually doing quite well.

If they jack him around then gently caress 'em.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I find Chrysler vehicles to be really funny. Like our Dodges at work. We have six mid 00's Caravans each with between 139 and 301k miles. On the oldest almost everything has fallen off the engine at some point, but the engine and transmission keep going on its 200 mile a day route. All the vans are on their original transmission fluid, as the the bolts are all fused to the housing! We were in the process of replacing them with the little RAM vans. Yet every morning they start right up so they keep putting off buying the new vans.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ford got murdered on IQS by MyFordTouch, which I think tells you all you need to know about its value as a survey.
That and the dependability survey doesn't differentiate on the nature of issues. Bringing your car into the dealer for a squeaky door hinge or headlight bulb counts the same as, say, a catastrophic transmission failure.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Scotch posted:

If they actually come through and give him, say, a new one as a replacement, I think they're actually doing quite well.

If they jack him around then gently caress 'em.

Yes but in the meantime, he's waiting to find out what will happen and also is deprived of the use of the car he's paid $80k+ for. Would you be happy if you bought a new car and ended up being stuck in a loaner/rental? He's still inconvenienced and out the use of his car for however long due to the engine failure.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes but in the meantime, he's waiting to find out what will happen and also is deprived of the use of the car he's paid $80k+ for. Would you be happy if you bought a new car and ended up being stuck in a loaner/rental? He's still inconvenienced and out the use of his car for however long due to the engine failure.

I would be happy with a loaner or rental if they make good on fixing or replacing things promptly. If they can't manage that then, as I said, gently caress 'em.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Link to that viper thread ?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Xguard86 posted:

Link to that viper thread ?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668031

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Welp, looks like the Z06's status as a track monster is officially dead. Here's a report from a new owner after pitting his car against a stock Viper TA in some roll races.

quote:

Alright guys. Good and bad news?

Ran the 2014 Viper TA and it pulled on me in 4th gear. Every single time. Z06 has a weak spot after 130mph. We even pulled it to the top of 5th gear and he already had 3-4 cars (atleast) on me by then. And after a few run, huge decline in power because of super charger running hot, like i have been saying.

1-3 runs, very even. He would pull on me by a hair line in between shifts. My tires spun going 2-3 and 3-4 and even 4-5.

4-6 runs, super charger ran hot and he started pulling on me pretty hard every time.
The vette started to overheat after 4 runs on a cold day. That doesn't bode well for tracking, especially if it's in the summer. Vengeance Racing's new Z06 has also been experiencing heat issues and isn't seeing the expected gains from a pulley with tune, suggesting the little blower is maxed out. It's still an impressive GT car that can lay down some amazing numbers, but attaching the Z06 title to a glass cannon that can't perform very long in a straight line or the twisties seems like a mistake. I guess mitigating heatsoak wasn't a high priority on the dev team's list.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tekne posted:

Welp, looks like the Z06's status as a track monster is officially dead. Here's a report from a new owner after pitting his car against a stock Viper TA in some roll races.
The vette started to overheat after 4 runs on a cold day. That doesn't bode well for tracking, especially if it's in the summer. Vengeance Racing's new Z06 has also been experiencing heat issues and isn't seeing the expected gains from a pulley with tune, suggesting the little blower is maxed out. It's still an impressive GT car that can lay down some amazing numbers, but attaching the Z06 title to a glass cannon that can't perform very long in a straight line or the twisties seems like a mistake. I guess mitigating heatsoak wasn't a high priority on the dev team's list.

GT500 had these kinds of problems too. The supercharged Z06 surprised me since it was announced, GM could have just dropped the engine from the Z28 in there and had lower complexity.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I was thinking that as well. Chevrolet indicated that the original idea was to go with a large NA V8 based off the new LT1, but they couldn't meet EPA requirements. The silly thing is, as you mentioned, they have the Z28's engine. Putting that into a Corvette with the new Z06's brakes, suspension, and aero would've been killer, but then the marketers wouldn't have their "650 HORSEPOWER/TORQUE!" With the regular C7s blowing their engines, there no longer appears to be a good option for people who race their vettes, which is a drat shame when you consider how well the package performs as a whole. They should have used the tried and true LS7.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Tekne posted:

I was thinking that as well. Chevrolet indicated that the original idea was to go with a large NA V8 based off the new LT1, but they couldn't meet EPA requirements. The silly thing is, as you mentioned, they have the Z28's engine. Putting that into a Corvette with the new Z06's brakes, suspension, and aero would've been killer, but then the marketers wouldn't have their "650 HORSEPOWER/TORQUE!" With the regular C7s blowing their engines, there no longer appears to be a good option for people who race their vettes, which is a drat shame when you consider how well the package performs as a whole. They should have used the tried and true LS7.

I dont think they could have used the LS7. People would have been mad it wasnt new. And with the power of the base vette getting so high it would have been hard to charge a premium for only 50 HP more. Also I thought the LS7 was considered to only be ok. It drops valves, and has oiling issues at high Gs with out an upgraded sump.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, you're probably right about the perception issue from buyers. The LS7 did suffer from those problems in the previous Z06, but I was under the impression that they'd been fixed for the version in the Z28. So far I haven't seen any reports of those in the Camaros.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mange Mite posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Didn't MyFordTouch really suck for a while? Like borderline unusable levels of bad? Or is that what you mean?

MFT still sucks big balls, but it's not a problem on the lines of an actual mechanical defect.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's clunky but even my "I don't want any screens in the car" wife seems to be doing fine with it in the Flex.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

MFT still sucks big balls, but it's not a problem on the lines of an actual mechanical defect.

But that survey is for initial quality (not reliability) which includes both manufacturing and design defects. Also according to that guy, when it first came out it was so unreliable it would sometimes crash while driving and make it so you can't control parts of the car. That might not be a mechanical defect but tit's a hell of a defect nonetheless even if it just breaks the radio or HVAC or whatever (I have no idea how much it's actually integrated).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tekne posted:

I don't see anything in there that says anything about lap times; seems to be focused solely on drag racing.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

drgitlin posted:

I don't see anything in there that says anything about lap times; seems to be focused solely on drag racing.
That is correct. The Z06 getting heatsoaked after 4 runs doesn't bode well for cooling on the track though. Randy Probst had to pull off the road due to a high oil temperature warning after 8 minutes of tracking. C&D also had to shut off a manual Z06 from excessive heat. All these unrelated sources having similar issues isn't a good sign. Maybe the auto Z06s won't have this issue, but I'd imagine they would be even worse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least with the GT500 the brakes gave up before the engine overheated.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think the C6 ZR1 had these kinds of cooling issues?

I think most tests of the Hellcat have found it to be pretty durable, but the Hellcat uses a more expensive twin screw blower that doesn't put out as much heat, an iron block, and is a much larger car with much more space under the hood for cooling.

I wish Chrysler and Mazda would merge already so we can all be a big happy family instead of throwing mean red titles at each other. :unsmith:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Chevrolet switched to a smaller 1.7L blower for the new Z06. The current theory is that it's working a lot harder than the ZR1 supercharger to make power, and it has to contend with inadequate cooling and/or a very conservative factory tune. I'm interested to see what GM's response will be if this proves to be a widespread problem with the cars.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Powershift posted:

At least with the GT500 virtually all Ford products the brakes gave up before the engine overheated.
Fixed that for ya. Seriously, what is it with Fords and undersized brakes? This has been seemingly a thing since forever.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Holy crap that's massively disappointing about the Z06 overheating. loving Chevy.

Now that the 650 HORSEPOWER/TORQUE folks have their car, bring on the C7 Grand Sport with a slightly hopped up LT1 and Z06 brakes/aero.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

But that survey is for initial quality (not reliability) which includes both manufacturing and design defects. Also according to that guy, when it first came out it was so unreliable it would sometimes crash while driving and make it so you can't control parts of the car. That might not be a mechanical defect but tit's a hell of a defect nonetheless even if it just breaks the radio or HVAC or whatever (I have no idea how much it's actually integrated).

Grouping manufacturing and design defects together is stupid. They're different problems that require different solutions and have different impacts on the end customer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sadi posted:

I dont think they could have used the LS7. People would have been mad it wasnt new. And with the power of the base vette getting so high it would have been hard to charge a premium for only 50 HP more. Also I thought the LS7 was considered to only be ok. It drops valves, and has oiling issues at high Gs with out an upgraded sump.

Does the LS7 have direct injection? If not that could squeeze out some more power right? Also, what car has Das Volk had that hasn't broke on him? He had problems with a CTS-V and a Corvette C6 too right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Coredump posted:

Also, what car has Das Volk had that hasn't broke on him?

The M3.

No direct injection, no turbos, mechanical throttle bodies. :geno:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah he's made no bones about his prejudices against American cars, and then he keeps breaking them. I'm starting to think he treats his cars from the US with lack of mechanical empathy vs. the way he treats the German cars he oh so prefers. He also had a Porsche too at one point before the CTS-V I think?

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

The M3.

No direct injection, no turbos, mechanical throttle bodies. :geno:
It's quite telling that enthusiast cars are quite commonly the most reliable models. The M3, the Z06, the CTS-V, the Miata are all bought by enthusiasts that take care of their cars. Hell, it even works the other way- look at Mini. The Cooper Convertible is definitely not the enthusiast choice, and look at the spread they managed between that and the otherwise mechanically identical hatchback.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't know if I would agree with that. You don't drop the kind of coin he dose on cars just to treat them like poo poo. I actually think this is more of a he actually buys high performance cars and drives the poo poo out of them which I applaud. They're not middle aged men garage queens that come out once a week for cars and coffee.

He's also seemed to have a string of bad luck with the American cars, which is unfortunate.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Grouping manufacturing and design defects together is stupid. They're different problems that require different solutions and have different impacts on the end customer.

Eh, I'd say it's often hard to separate manufacturing and design defects, and pretty much impossible to expect a consumer in a survey to distinguish between the two. Are, for instance, big panel gaps or bad paint due to poor workmanship or bad design? Hard to say. Maybe their painters and Q/A people are lazy or maybe the paint itself is a bad formulation. If my radio keeps crashing and stops working, or if none of the menus make anysense, all I know is that I would be pissed and think "the radio in this car sucks" and that's all the survey measures.

The strength of the JD Power survey is that it's big and covers a lot of people. The somewhat coercive part is the marketing thing where they publish their results to the public in a simple understandable form of a single idiot number which sort of forces automakers to pay attention to them. Also if you're an actual automaker who pays JD Power for their service you get the specific breakdown with a lot more specific information separating the things, too, since the actual survey has hundreds of questions.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

donut posted:

It's quite telling that enthusiast cars are quite commonly the most reliable models. The M3, the Z06, the CTS-V, the Miata are all bought by enthusiasts that take care of their cars. Hell, it even works the other way- look at Mini. The Cooper Convertible is definitely not the enthusiast choice, and look at the spread they managed between that and the otherwise mechanically identical hatchback.

Well, you also have the Boxster as Porsche's most reliable, and Hyundai's 350hp pony car as their least reliable so it seems to be a combination of factors.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, you also have the Boxster as Porsche's most reliable, and Hyundai's 350hp pony car as their least reliable so it seems to be a combination of factors.

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of this is down to demographics. Cars owned mostly by 18-25 males will probably have the worst outcomes (because they're idiots), those owned by older folks will probably have the best. This is probably why cheaper performance cars like the Gen Coupe and WRX have the worst outcomes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Re: C7 Z06 being a two lap wonder, I'm chalking it up to more marketing bullshit about having the highest numbers. The Z06 is an affordable car if you really want one, but as of late there's been all of this dogshit over posting the biggest numbers ever! (unless if it's Nordschleife laptimes, then those are small)

I get it that numbers are neat and engineering is great, but I really can't give any less of a poo poo about super/hyper cars and all of the SICK STATS they put down. It's just bench racing fodder, and at the end of the day, kastein can outrun most of them in his Jeep because he isn't scared to drive the dumb thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Eh, I'd say it's often hard to separate manufacturing and design defects, and pretty much impossible to expect a consumer in a survey to distinguish between the two. Are, for instance, big panel gaps or bad paint due to poor workmanship or bad design? Hard to say. Maybe their painters and Q/A people are lazy or maybe the paint itself is a bad formulation. If my radio keeps crashing and stops working, or if none of the menus make anysense, all I know is that I would be pissed and think "the radio in this car sucks" and that's all the survey measures.

The strength of the JD Power survey is that it's big and covers a lot of people. The somewhat coercive part is the marketing thing where they publish their results to the public in a simple understandable form of a single idiot number which sort of forces automakers to pay attention to them. Also if you're an actual automaker who pays JD Power for their service you get the specific breakdown with a lot more specific information separating the things, too, since the actual survey has hundreds of questions.

I am very aware of how the JD Power survey works from an OEM perspective. The methodology is still not particularly useful, in my opinion. It's mostly used as a self-corrective so that senior management can chase better IQS scores that are part of their KPI package.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Phone posted:

Re: C7 Z06 being a two lap wonder, I'm chalking it up to more marketing bullshit about having the highest numbers. The Z06 is an affordable car if you really want one, but as of late there's been all of this dogshit over posting the biggest numbers ever! (unless if it's Nordschleife laptimes, then those are small)

I get it that numbers are neat and engineering is great, but I really can't give any less of a poo poo about super/hyper cars and all of the SICK STATS they put down. It's just bench racing fodder, and at the end of the day, kastein can outrun most of them in his Jeep because he isn't scared to drive the dumb thing.
A Z05 with a Z06 body but the base LT1 and a hot cam would be an interesting beast. It's not like the normal C7 is light on power.
So basically a grand sport.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phone posted:

I have to wonder how much of their difficulties are also due to the current incompetent management at GM which is aggressively anti-performance and anti-product in general.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

eyebeem posted:

It's clunky but even my "I don't want any screens in the car" wife seems to be doing fine with it in the Flex.

One thing that drives me crazy with newer cars are the huge distracting color screens situated right in the middle of the instrument cluster. Almost every brand seems to do it these days. The current Altima is one of the worst offenders; it makes it needlessly difficult to glance down at your speed (especially at night) when there is a huge bright LCD displaying mostly irrelevant information in the middle of your view.

Oh, and that little avatar of your car isn't a lane departure system or anything. It's just a static image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure on the Altima that I drove you could change what that screen displays. Could have been a higher trim than the base trim, though.