Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Vengarr posted:

Do the Growth+ items increase XP gain if the character is in the main party?

I don't believe they did in P3/P4 but the description is a little different in PQ. It reads "+25% XP, even if not in the party" instead of something like "1/3 XP gain if not in party".

I tested it and confirmed that the Growth items in PQ don't do anything for characters who are currently in the active party. The description is misleading.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I will say that Attack does have one use: those 1 DMG weapons you tend to pick up from the dungeon also come stacked with debuff bonuses, so if you want to hit a certain debuff they're a pretty cool way to apply them without having to use Persona skills.

Be warned that if you use those weapons they'll also inflict their ailments on your own party if the wielder gets panicked and starts attacking allies. I stopped using them for that reason: they were more of a pain than they were worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Where on earth are the Fate Seekers in the Evil Spirit Club? I've been all over the third and fourth floors and haven't ran into a single one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thuryl posted:

I tested it and confirmed that the Growth items in PQ don't do anything for characters who are currently in the active party. The description is misleading.

If they did, there would never be any reason to use the Heavy Wristband that doubles exp and halves stats over Growth 3.

Dexie posted:

Where on earth are the Fate Seekers in the Evil Spirit Club? I've been all over the third and fourth floors and haven't ran into a single one.

They should be around there. It sounds like you're just unlucky.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I've almost completely the dungeon and I haven't ran into them. I just have to solve this last door puzzle and I'm at the boss.

Are they just really rare or something?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

They're a rare encounter on the fourth floor and only show up to ambush you on power spots on the 3rd

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dexie posted:

On the third floor, they can ambush you at power spots, so try there. Be warned that they're like the Burning Beetles and the Kings in the first and second labyrinths.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dexie posted:

Definitely not in the Group Date Cafe where the game says they are! In all seriousness though, I've only ever fought one as a result of a back attack while gathering at a power spot down on the fourth floor.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the third floor, they can ambush you at power spots, so try there. Be warned that they're like the Burning Beetles and the Kings in the first and second labyrinths.

Their primary attack tactic is Bestial Roar Megidola. Good luck!

(Silence Circle is your friend, they have no resistance to it and it completely fucks them over, same with the golden version of them later. You can also just have one person spam Dekaja on them every turn once they go active, their AI is set up to cast Roar if it isn't active, so they basically do nothing until your SP runs out)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

They're not anywhere near as bad as the Burning Beetles and their gimmick isn't as annoying as the Kings. I feel that the big generic shadows get less dangerous the further you get in the game.

I think what I did was panic them. It almost always worked, and after that you can't miss and they can't use magic.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're not anywhere near as bad as the Burning Beetles and their gimmick isn't as annoying as the Kings. I feel that the big generic shadows get less dangerous the further you get in the game.

I think what I did was panic them. It almost always worked, and after that you can't miss and they can't use magic.

Coincidentally, panic is the answer to nearly every single fight in the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It really is, except that FOEs almost never get hit by it even with Impure Reach. That can be annoying if they have status effects, and they will more often than not.

Also, someone told me a while ago that you don't have to kill FOEs ever to complete the map and that is wrong. Completely stationary FOEs 100% do count for map completion and you have to kill some if you want every square filled. It's not a big deal, but it can be annoying to realize you'd missed literally one spot because a gourd was standing on it and you'd forgotten to kill it at some point.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Completely stationary FOEs 100% do count for map completion and you have to kill some if you want every square filled. It's not a big deal, but it can be annoying to realize you'd missed literally one spot because a gourd was standing on it and you'd forgotten to kill it at some point.

Gourds are not completely stationary. They move when you have the fire.

The only completely stationary FOEs in the game are the two types of archers in the second Labyrinth and the Lovely Dolls in the third. None of their tiles count for map completion. I can confirm this 100% because I have 100% map completion on all the levels they appear in despite not having killed all of their individual appearances and walked on their tiles.

Not only that, but some tiles protected by mobile FOEs don't count for map completion, either. If there's a tile you literally cannot get to without fighting an FOE (not including the stationary ones, there's a tile in the second labyrinth and a couple in the fourth which you absolutely must kill FOEs to reach), it doesn't count for map completion. Again, I can confirm this from personal experience.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 9, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can you get someone else to do Hama/Mudo as well as Naoto does? I like what she does gameplay wise but she's so boring as a character. I also wanna make space for some of the P3 cast, and I don't want to get rid of Kanji and Chie.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not really

you'll need to use subpersona for both insta kills if you want someone else

koromaru has the single target dark, but not multitarget, and ken might have multitarget dark but lol, ken

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Make a subpersona with Mahamaon and Mamudoon, give the person Impure Reach. Boom, anyone is as effective as Naoto. However, Naoto is kind of a one trick pony and you'd be making whoever you were giving those skills to a lot less versatile.

Zurai posted:

Gourds are not completely stationary. They move when you have the fire.

The only completely stationary FOEs in the game are the two types of archers in the second Labyrinth and the Lovely Dolls in the third. None of their tiles count for map completion. I can confirm this 100% because I have 100% map completion on all the levels they appear in despite not having killed all of their individual appearances and walked on their tiles.

Not only that, but some tiles protected by mobile FOEs don't count for map completion, either. If there's a tile you literally cannot get to without fighting an FOE (not including the stationary ones, there's a tile in the second labyrinth and a couple in the fourth which you absolutely must kill FOEs to reach), it doesn't count for map completion. Again, I can confirm this from personal experience.

It's not just the gourds, and yes they do all count. When I went to check via the chest it showed spots where they were standing in the past three labyrinths.

Also I don't know who decided that all FOEs should be dodge tanks but they are assholes and this is not fun.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Make a subpersona with Mahamaon and Mamudoon, give the person Impure Reach. Boom, anyone is as effective as Naoto.

Assuming this uses EO mechanics, Luck and possibly Magic also have an effect on Hama/Mudo success rates (and ailment/bind success rates in general). Pretty sure Naoto has the highest combined Magic+Luck without the use of swap accessories, which is why she generally enjoys the best success rates with those skills.

quote:

It's not just the gourds, and yes they do all count. When I went to check via the chest it showed spots where they were standing in the past three labyrinths.

Dude, I am literally telling you that I have 100% map completion on maps where I have not killed and walked on all of the Lovely Doll/Angel of Love/Lust tiles or on the tiles blocked by the black and white FOEs in Group Date and Festive Guys in Inaba Pride Festival. You are abso-loving-lutely wrong. You'll also be wrong about needing to step on the spider web tiles in the 5th labyrinth, because I got 100% map completion without needing to do all that either.

The chests just show you which tiles you havn't walked on, they don't show you whether you actually need to walk on them or not.

EDIT: I do agree with you about dodgy rear end in a top hat FOEs.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 9, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

At 99% completion with one place to stand, and it's an angel statue that doesn't move? That seems to me like I need to stand there to complete the map.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I guess I'll keep her. Thing is Naoto also has really high Magic stats and good Agility, so if you give her a sub persona with elemental damage she's good at that too. And her Luck is very high, which means she's good at status effects. With the proper subs she's good at everything besides attacking.

I'm thinking of replacing Rei+Zen though in the back row, because I'd feel bad without at least one P3 character. But then it looks like the P3MC is the best P3 character for the back row and using both MCs feels weird.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm thinking of replacing Rei+Zen though in the back row, because I'd feel bad without at least one P3 character. But then it looks like the P3MC is the best P3 character for the back row and using both MCs feels weird.

There's a very good reason to keep the second MC at the same level as your primary. If you don't want to use them, at the very least make sure you give them your best Growth accessory.

Manatee Cannon posted:

At 99% completion with one place to stand, and it's an angel statue that doesn't move? That seems to me like I need to stand there to complete the map.

Can you take a picture of the chest's map? Because I've only ever killed one or two of each type of Angel and I'd be very surprised if I happened to kill the exact one which is required for map completion.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, I got 100% completion on Group Date Cafe floor 2 the first try, and I sure as hell didn't fought either of the standing FOEs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Found these trawling the interweb, posting so I can find them again for posterity:

A list of skill cards and the Personas they come from
A list of Persona skills.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zurai posted:

There's a very good reason to keep the second MC at the same level as your primary. If you don't want to use them, at the very least make sure you give them your best Growth accessory.

Can you take a picture of the chest's map? Because I've only ever killed one or two of each type of Angel and I'd be very surprised if I happened to kill the exact one which is required for map completion.

I could but it wouldn't do anything at this point since the map is filled in. I'm in the fourth labyrinth now. It didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

Assuming this uses EO mechanics, Luck and possibly Magic also have an effect on Hama/Mudo success rates (and ailment/bind success rates in general). Pretty sure Naoto has the highest combined Magic+Luck without the use of swap accessories, which is why she generally enjoys the best success rates with those skills.

P3MC has better stats than Naoto in literally every category at least up until the early 30s.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

P3MC has better stats than Naoto in literally every category at least up until the early 30s.

That definitely doesn't continue. At level 40, my Naoto has more Agility, Luck, and Magic than P3MC. P3MC still has way higher Endurance and Strength and a higher stat total in general, though. She only recently passed his Agility, though (I noticed when she stopped going last in my party and it was near the end of the Evil Spirit Club).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

my party is P3MC, Kanji, Mitsuru, Yukiko and Yukari because they are the best characters. See ya.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
if you're at the point in completing your map where the only spaces left that you can find are the ones foes are standing on, then you should probably just pony up with the loving playcoins already.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Inflammatory posted:

if you're at the point in completing your map where the only spaces left that you can find are the ones foes are standing on, then you should probably just pony up with the loving playcoins already.

I completely forget how you get playcoins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

I completely forget how you get playcoins.

Put 3DS in sleep mode. Walk around.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Vengarr posted:

Found these trawling the interweb, posting so I can find them again for posterity:

A list of skill cards and the Personas they come from
A list of Persona skills.
This is a Good Post.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

What's the significance, if any, of the bathroom door on the third floor of the third dungeon? I think the remaining 2% of the map I haven't seen might be behind there...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

StandardVC10 posted:

What's the significance, if any, of the bathroom door on the third floor of the third dungeon? I think the remaining 2% of the map I haven't seen might be behind there...

It only comes up in the P4 story.

e: There are two squares you can't reach until you fulfill one of Elizabeth's requests though.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Strange Quark posted:

Isn't that the request where Elizabeth gives you another set of directions? I got that on the P3 side.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

b0lt posted:

Isn't that the request where Elizabeth gives you another set of directions? I got that on the P3 side.

No, there's a cutscene at one point in the P4 story where instead of getting a scene about Yukiko's cooking, you go into the bathroom itself. It fills out squares on the map, but I don't think it counts towards the map completion.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

e: There are two squares you can't reach until you fulfill one of Elizabeth's requests though.

Huh, I found those squares and I'm still at 98. Weird. I've got 10 playcoins now though, so it doesn't really matter.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

No, there's a cutscene at one point in the P4 story where instead of getting a scene about Yukiko's cooking, you go into the bathroom itself. It fills out squares on the map, but I don't think it counts towards the map completion.

wait what

so if you're on the p3 side, then instead of the old doll's intro scene you get another "lol girls who can't cook" joke?

atlus why

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

So, I'm on the 3rd floor of Wonderland and can't figure out how to get past this FOE that's blocking the way. I did it before, but then used a Goho-m to get out and now I've forgotten how I got past him the first time.:/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nessa posted:

So, I'm on the 3rd floor of Wonderland and can't figure out how to get past this FOE that's blocking the way. I did it before, but then used a Goho-m to get out and now I've forgotten how I got past him the first time.:/

Usually the answer is "paint the roses."

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Bit disappointed that close to all strolls in the last part of the game consists of a random party member going "let's do this!" and then everyone agrees.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Usually the answer is "paint the roses."

But there are no roses near it. There are more FOEs and roses past it, but I can't get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nessa posted:

But there are no roses near it. There are more FOEs and roses past it, but I can't get to them.

If you want to try posting your map, you could get more specific answers.

• Locked thread