Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Cat content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

the spyder posted:

Forgot this earlier- the guy who rents the shop space drives this.

God I love gassers. This is one bad rear end ride.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

God I love gassers. This is one bad rear end ride.

The guy has some awesome toys. I should grab a picture of his LS powered Land Cruiser.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Please do. More photos of the gasser if you can.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
In other news:

Ice + normal tires + semi truck with no chains= wrecked Miata. Super low speed impact. Brother can fill in more if he wants. He was fine. There was a good inch of ice on the road. Thankfully insurance paid out and he bought it back for $850~.

So, anyone have some spare NB NC parts? Looks like I can fix it with a core support/rad/bumper/headlight/hood/fender.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 25, 2014

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Is this the second Miata he's smashed up? :doh: that sucks.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

the spyder posted:

So, anyone have some spare NC parts? Looks like I can fix it with a core support/rad/bumper/headlight/hood/fender.

I believe that's an NB. Also, your brother needs to stop destroying Miatas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Good thing he only likes cars with 100 hp I guess :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Poor little NB :( Your brother is so mean to Miatas. Good thing he's OK.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Does he autox? Mazdacomp has piles of miata body panels for all the spec racers.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

parid posted:

Does he autox? Mazdacomp has piles of miata body panels for all the spec racers.

Autocrossers are not allowed to order body panels from Mazdaspeed

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Looks like there's a black 99 up in Seattle being parted. I bet for ~ $1k we can fix it.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Autocrossers are not allowed to order body panels from Mazdaspeed

Huh, you learn something every day. A local friend of mine did, but I suppose he hillclimbs too (and it was a hillclimb misadventure that caused the need for said body panels).

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

parid posted:

Huh, you learn something every day. A local friend of mine did, but I suppose he hillclimbs too (and it was a hillclimb misadventure that caused the need for said body panels).

In the "Requirements & Restrictions" section of the agreement, there are these two points:

-Mazda interior trim parts may not be ordered unless the item is required by class rules. Otherwise, prior written approval must be obtained from Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development manager.

-Exterior body panels and interior trim components may not be ordered by Solo/Autocross competitors.

It used to be they didn't keep an eye on it, but if they noticed you were an autocrosser and ordered the wrong things, they'd do something about it depending on the level of abuse (a warning if you were lucky, suspension and a bill if you were not). Now their system is fairly well automated and will flag suspicious orders.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, so you can't purchase body panels from the in house company that builds performance items for your car if you use it in a certain type of race? In what world do they live in?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Elmnt80 posted:

Wait, so you can't purchase body panels from the in house company that builds performance items for your car if you use it in a certain type of race? In what world do they live in?

What the poo poo?

YOU DO SOMETHING WE DON'T LIKE WITH YOUR CAR, SO YOU CAN'T GIVE US MONEY FOR GOODS AND SERVICES.

Yeah, they're not legally obliged to sell anything to anyone, so they can do whatever they want I guess - but that's just purposefully shutting themselves out of a lot of $$$ from people bashing up their miats for no reason other than what seems to be elitism.

quote:

In what world do they live in?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

The Mazdaspeed racers program allows you to purchase Mazda OEM and performance parts at cost. I have a wholesale account with a local dealership, and my wholesale discount can't touch my Mazdaspeed discount. However, in order to purchase at that discount, you must abide by the rules and regulations of the agreement that you sign when creating the account, and at every yearly renewal.

If you don't like it, you are free to buy your parts at retail prices elsewhere. Mazda is actually pretty generous. As far as I'm aware, only Honda still has their racer program active, and their discounts sucks compared to Mazda.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?
That Scout roller frame is a great deal. Now you need one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Find me a good one! The last one we bought was trashed inside :(.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Over the holiday weekend, I finished the loft. Holy crap does it drastically change the space available now. I finally have somewhere to store car parts. Doing some basic calculations, it's only going to cost $600 in insulation and $100 in plastic to insulate the place. I'll have to wait and see if we get a holiday bonus- because if so, awesome!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

In other news:
Ice + normal tires + semi truck with no chains= wrecked Miata. Super low speed impact. Brother can fill in more if he wants. He was fine. There was a good inch of ice on the road. Thankfully insurance paid out and he bought it back for $850~.

So, anyone have some spare NB NC parts? Looks like I can fix it with a core support/rad/bumper/headlight/hood/fender.

Pretty much this. This time instead of pushing my limits in a totally inappropriate place / time / road condition, I ended up running into a huge stretch of washboard like ice in the shadow of a large hill along the gorge following a blizzard. Roads were clear on all the adjacent road cameras, checked on the local DOT website. I spun around backwards when I hit the ice, and the semi ran my front end over as he could not stop or really alter his course in any meaningful way. He chained up as we were waiting for the tow truck. It makes me feel better that about 4 more cars wrecked in front of me, and it was so slick the plow / gravel trucks were sliding horizontally while stopped in traffic, due to the bank of the road. If I had known, I just wouldn't have been driving.

I loved that car, I had gotten in just how I liked it. Luckily it will live on. From now on I will drive a subaru with winter tires when I go out to see my girlfriend.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Busy weekend again. No car updates, but the shop is coming together. Since the weather was going to be clear and warm, I borrowed a small trailer from a friend and starting moving the contents of the barn in to the shop.

It started out great- I moved the welders, welding table, and grinders first.

Then my friend Ben came by and everything went to hell. Physics is a bitch. Especially when you don't clamp down the boards you were using as blocking. No damage. Just a mess. God drat it.

The trailer I borrowed was by no means heavy duty and when it came to moving The Battleship, or rather our disassembled 1978 Bridgeport NC, it was easier to just drag it. When we originally bought it, we built a frame with giant ~2000 pound rated casters. It rolls like butter on concrete.

It worked great, until we got to the shop. I dragged it as close as I could and we used a come along to pull it the rest of the way.

Next up was the J-Head Bridgeport. This little guy fought us, but in the end we got it placed. The engine hoist was just enough to pick it up after the head was off.

It was unseasonably warm out ~56f.

All tucked in to the machine room.

Next weekend: Insulation!

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I probably spent about 3.5 hours cleaning up the baby bridgeport, oh jeeze.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I just shot a ten foot rope of jizz

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

I just shot a ten foot rope of jizz

My tool boner is unyielding.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

the spyder posted:

All tucked in to the machine room.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Good thing I bought towels at costco...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
all you need is some sort of horizontal 3 axis mill in there and you can make pretty much whatever you want

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wouldn't it have been easier to insulate before you put those machines in place?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Yes. But due to a half dozen things, the machines had to move. It's hard to see, but 99% of them are mobile and at least 20" away from the walls. We will move them closer in after the walls are insulated and sheathed.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I'm most excited about that Bridgeport Series 2 NC. Weighing in at 5500 lbs fully assembled with gigantic box ways and huge ballscrews, it'll cut pretty much anything we could ever want. If only it had a tool changer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

Yes. But due to a half dozen things, the machines had to move. It's hard to see, but 99% of them are mobile and at least 20" away from the walls. We will move them closer in after the walls are insulated and sheathed.

Ah gotcha. I just have experience with moving a poo poo ton of stuff and then realizing you have to move it again after everyone has left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Commodore_64 posted:

washboard like ice

My first time ever hitting that poo poo was this past winter. Holy mother of god I don't think you'll ever get the stains out of the seat from the first time I crossed that bridge that day. I was expecting ice, I wasn't expecting that washboard poo poo. The first time I hit it I was doing a good 25 mph, and realized I was just along for the ride once I hit that washboard poo poo, as long as I could try and keep the wheel pointed straightish. Throttle? Brake? Did nothing except make the speedometer and tach flail about wildly. I just tried to keep it steered away slightly from the wall.

I definitely hurt my struts that day, since I was doing delivery all day and had to cross that bridge over 30 times. It wasn't bad after the first time since I knew to expect it, but I'd never experienced washboard ice before then.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Commodore_64 posted:

I'm most excited about that Bridgeport Series 2 NC. Weighing in at 5500 lbs fully assembled with gigantic box ways and huge ballscrews, it'll cut pretty much anything we could ever want. If only it had a tool changer.

Are you guys retrofitting it with newer controls and components? I heard that those machines are abysmal in stock form.

I almost picked one up a couple years back but everyone talked me out of it. My new aim is a small toolroom Haas that I can still get parts for.

Good luck with it! I'm annoyed at myself for settling on a table top CNC.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Of course! I don't think a tape drive and steppers the size of gallon paint cans would really fit my needs. There is something quaint about peck cycles and interpolation being done with discrete logic, but I'll probably go Linux EMC or whatever its called now. We have some appropriately sized DC servos, drives, and a transformer that weighs about 80lbs, I need to figure out the braking resistors and some sort of transient voltage suppression scheme for something so hefty. Also, speed control will probably need a little servo turning the sheave pulley, and probably something to actuate the pneumatic spindle brake as well. Someday when I am feeling flush I might just pick up a huge DC motor for the spindle and call it a day.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Random project updates:

I started building a cabinet for the woodshop. It's 36hx34dx96w and will hold my mitre saw. There will be 9 drawers, enough to hopefully clean up this mess.

The top will be 2x4's lap jointed with 3/4" MDF and 1/4" hardboard on top, trimmed in poplar.

Things that piss me off: this loving Mitre saw. It's too drat deep for the bench. I won't be able to use the work surface with the radial arm saw. Looks like it's going back to HD.

Cutting the laps with the radial arm saw + dado stack made a ton of chips.

Last night I finished the top.

Rx7 related: The bastard 93 MB Touring with the T88 got it's engine pulled. The oil pan had been bodged by someone else and needed to be resealed.
While we were pulling it I noticed there were no Orings on the injectors and a giant 1/4" vac port with no cap. Welp, there's your idle problem!

For some reason this van reminded me of AI.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

the spyder posted:

Rx7 related: The bastard 93 MB Touring with the T88 got it's engine pulled. The oil pan had been bodged by someone else and needed to be resealed.
While we were pulling it I noticed there were no Orings on the injectors and a giant 1/4" vac port with no cap. Welp, there's your idle problem!

How are people this incompetent? :psyduck:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MiniFoo posted:

Its amazing really. Reading through this thread it seems most people just lose their minds working on rotaries and start randomly plugging hoses into anything or just removing them altogether.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

MiniFoo posted:

I was thinking of getting an rx-7 and this thread has made me afraid of what I will find if I do. Not that it will stop me from buying one, just that I won't be puzzled if it runs terribly and is lucky to make it back to my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
It's part of the reason I don't want to work on these basket cases anymore. I've got a half dozen of the things, all in various stages of WTF was the PO thinking. Everyone is broke and wants something for nothing. It's just not worth it. It's why I'm telling people I'll do what I can, but to come get their cars before the end of the year. /rant