Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Duke Chin posted:

Thanks, I'll check them out. :tipshat:

This one too: http://www.amazon.com/Anything-Anywhere-Anytime-Tactical-Airlift/dp/1468505637

Spends a good deal on the Herc, but also other MAC operations from WW2 to Vietnam.

Ardeem posted:

I wonder what the one pilot did to get a tiger striped drop tank.

Probably was that squadron's representative at the Tiger Meet that year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_Tiger_Association

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wombot posted:

Does Sea-Tac ever land two airliners side by side on parallel runways? Last night, at 8:42pm, I was driving south on I5 just north of Boeing Field and saw two large aircraft, ostensibly in the approach pattern for SEA, flying in formation about 5 wing spans apart and directly abeam. The marker lights were the exact same for both.

Very frequently. Sort of the point of multiple parallel runways.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Wombot posted:

Does Sea-Tac ever land two airliners side by side on parallel runways? Last night, at 8:42pm, I was driving south on I5 just north of Boeing Field and saw two large aircraft, ostensibly in the approach pattern for SEA, flying in formation about 5 wing spans apart and directly abeam. The marker lights were the exact same for both.

Absolutely. It's the greatest advantage of parallel runways at any airport.

Simultaneous operations are authorized between aircraft based on weather conditions, distance between the runway center lines, and the size of the aircraft involved. I could go into more detail but that about sums it up. Generally the minimum required distance between runways/airplanes is measured in the thousands of feet.

For these operations to occur during poor weather conditions, greater runway distance is needed and additional ATC personnel (final monitors) may be required. A final monitor is a controller who watches the final for any deviations from the final approach course and has an override ability on the approach controller AND tower controller's frequencies. If a plane strays too far from centerline, the final monitor barks at them to return to center line or begin a missed approach procedure.

Some runway spacings allow for simultaneous operations in visual conditions. Some allow for staggered instrument operations (closer than normal separation minima, but still separated by some required distance longitudinally), and some allow for simultaneous operations in instrument conditions (with the afforementioned final monitor).

All depends on the airport and ATC service available.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ardeem posted:

I wonder what the one pilot did to get a tiger striped drop tank.

The Czechs regularly fly around with tiger themed Gripens for the NATO Tiger Meets. That particular tiger striped drop tank seems to be more or less permanently painted like that, it's shown up on several different aircraft individuals and it's been around for a while.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 9, 2014

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
You want F-14 pictures?

Checkmate. :smug:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Perhaps you want something a little more exotic?

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 9, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

click for huge

"Here, we see the babies faithfully following the mommy, hoping for a drink of her life giving nourishment"

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Last 2 pages have been glorious, keep it up

You'll have someone's eye out with that

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Gibfender posted:

:swoon:

I'll be in my bunk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gibfender posted:

drat it Valkyrie, you were just too much of a good thing for the good ole USA :smith:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Also this is a great article about the Bone FF incident in Afghanistan back in 2007

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/a-10s-saved-the-day-in-botched-afghanistan-raid-b78367f4fd0e

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

CommieGIR posted:

drat it Valkyrie, you were just too much of a good thing for the good ole USA :smith:

If by "good thing" you mean "pretty much a supersonic BUFF that does the same job as an ICBM," then yeah.
don't get me wrong, I love the 70, it's just that it had very limited uses in the time of ICBMs getting more accurate

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

If by "good thing" you mean "pretty much a supersonic BUFF that does the same job as an ICBM," then yeah.
don't get me wrong, I love the 70, it's just that it had very limited uses in the time of ICBMs getting more accurate

You'd have to explain the B-52 and B-1B then. Yes, they can carry traditional payloads, but that was never their initial purpose.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Gibfender posted:

Also this is a great article about the Bone FF incident in Afghanistan back in 2007

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/a-10s-saved-the-day-in-botched-afghanistan-raid-b78367f4fd0e

First off that isn't the friendly fire incident, that was the day a friendly fire incident was prevented.

Second I wouldn't describe that article as "great," it (like most SAVE THE HAWG THE AIR FORCE IS LYING articles) is written from a pretty skewed perspective.

Third the A-10 has plenty of friendly fire incidents under its belt (including more than one involving Brits), it's a (very unfortunate) occupational hazard when you're talking about conducting CAS. The idea that the A-10 is somehow immune to this, or even has a lower rate than other platforms, is simply not true, no matter how many articles are written about all the times the A-10 has allegedly saved the day from the supposed idiots flying all the other platforms in the USAF.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

You'd have to explain the B-52 and B-1B then. Yes, they can carry traditional payloads, but that was never their initial purpose.

But they were readily adaptable to carry traditional payloads, and at a far lower cost than the XB-70. The XB-70s design features are valueless (basically 100% of the time in a SAM laden world but specifically) for delivering conventional payloads and involve acquisition cost, complexity, and run cost nightmares.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iyaayas01 posted:

First off that isn't the friendly fire incident, that was the day a friendly fire incident was prevented.

Second I wouldn't describe that article as "great," it (like most SAVE THE HAWG THE AIR FORCE IS LYING articles) is written from a pretty skewed perspective.

Third the A-10 has plenty of friendly fire incidents under its belt (including more than one involving Brits), it's a (very unfortunate) occupational hazard when you're talking about conducting CAS. The idea that the A-10 is somehow immune to this, or even has a lower rate than other platforms, is simply not true, no matter how many articles are written about all the times the A-10 has allegedly saved the day from the supposed idiots flying all the other platforms in the USAF.

I don't think it's a secret that the USAF is much worse at CAS than the USN, USMC, RAF, et al, nor that the organization doesn't really care about the role nearly as much as recreating the days of Curtis LeMay.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But they were readily adaptable to carry traditional payloads, and at a far lower cost than the XB-70. The XB-70s design features are valueless (basically 100% of the time in a SAM laden world but specifically) for delivering conventional payloads and involve acquisition cost, complexity, and run cost nightmares.

However the Valk looked badass as hell which is very important to consider.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The B-1B required modification to do that, and even then doesn't fuilfill the requirements originally laid down for it and is ridiculously expensive to maintain and operate.

The B-1B can't even carry nuclear payload anymore without significant modifications. The USAF didn't even want it, Saint Reagan 'gifted' it to them.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 9, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

I don't think it's a secret that the USAF is much worse at CAS than the USN, USMC, RAF, et al, nor that the organization doesn't really care about the role nearly as much as recreating the days of Curtis LeMay.

It's fun to dog on the USAF and CAS, but really? I'll take the USAF's wide array of capabilities over some older USMC F-18s and Harriers any day.

edit: And even A-10 pilots will sometimes comment that once they're on scene they can do amazing stuff, but it can be pretty frustrating when they take an insane amount of time to even get to the scene compared to a Mud Hen or Bone.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 9, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

drgitlin posted:

lol okay

Yes we don't care about CAS which is why we bought 1000 Raptors while putting all the evil drones (who exclusively exist to support guys on the ground) in the boneyard.

Oh wait the exact opposite of that happened. The idea that the USAF "doesn't care" about CAS is so worn out I don't understand why it keeps cropping up.

e: I'll be completely honest, as soon as I read someone saying the USAF "doesn't care" about CAS it basically flags in my head to ignore everything else that person says because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 9, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The B-1B required modification to do that, and even then doesn't fuilfill the requirements originally laid down for it and is ridiculously expensive to maintain and operate.

The B-1B can't even carry nuclear payload anymore without significant modifications. The USAF didn't even want it, Saint Reagan 'gifted' it to them.

If you don't think the XB-70 would be like 3-5x more expensive per flight hour I have a bridge to sell you.

I had a line in there before I edited about how the B-1B procurement was a clusterfuck so it wasn't a good point of comparison.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

e: I'll be completely honest, as soon as I read someone saying the USAF "doesn't care" about CAS it basically flags in my head to ignore everything else that person says because they clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Or they are Marines who may know better, but must maintain the cult idea that their CAS is better, because camouflage flight helmets.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

mlmp08 posted:

Or they are Marines who may know better, but must maintain the cult idea that their CAS is better, because camouflage flight helmets.

lol

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Engineering became art.

Psion posted:

I have a folder on an old HD called "F-14" and there's a theme to some of them you'll probably appreciate.

http://imgur.com/a/nhRjP

Thanks!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

It's fun to dog on the USAF and CAS, but really? I'll take the USAF's wide array of capabilities over some older USMC F-18s and Harriers any day.

edit: And even A-10 pilots will sometimes comment that once they're on scene they can do amazing stuff, but it can be pretty frustrating when they take an insane amount of time to even get to the scene compared to a Mud Hen or Bone.

Reengine the A-10, problem solved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

drgitlin posted:

Given the intense amount of air-to-air combat NATO got involved in the last couple decades, if the USAF didn't want to do CAS, they'd pretty much end up doing nothing except airlift and refueling.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Crosspost from the Airpower thread -- E-3 Sentry schematics regarding in-flight equipment cooling using fuel.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Plenty of TF33's laying around...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Captain Postal posted:

Plenty of TF33's laying around...

We wanted it to have more thrust

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Just fire the GAU‐8 and fly backwards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

We wanted it to have more thrust

The A-10 uses CRJ-100 engines so yeah anything with a five digit lbf of thrust would be a major improvement.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

hobbesmaster posted:

What is the VNE of an A-10, and is it currently capable of getting up to that speed without using JATO bottles?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gibfender posted:

So let me tell you about growing up at China Lake

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

"Bob, I told you, this new zero-zero seat works just fine, quit being a pansy about this"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And now for some propaganda pictures of Best Korea showing off their Beloved Leader and glamorous women pilots:

This fierce squadron shall strike fear in the hearts of decadent western imperialists.

(source)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cat Mattress posted:

And now for some propaganda pictures of Best Korea showing off their Beloved Leader and glamorous women pilots:

This fierce squadron shall strike fear in the hearts of decadent western imperialists.

(source)

2 girls 1 Fagot

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So let me tell you about growing up at China Lake

What's going on here?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

StandardVC10 posted:

What's going on here?

China Lake's rocket sled track. This is from a NASA project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

These two pictures have a pretty cool story behind them.

Also holy blasts from the past...Bitburg and Soesterberg tail flashes and F-15s at Elmendorf.