Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I auto crossed for fun gently caress pax..
I had this bad rear end 510(slo) sm2 racer with dual carbs increased displacement non stock wheels n tires, with stock torsion bar front suspension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Autocross is the middle school dance of racing. It's great if you're just starting out in motorsports or don't want to spend a lot of money, but the rules and the people are loving terrible.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, I screwed myself into Street Prepared when I put poly bushings in my '79 RX-7. No other performance mods besides Tokico Blues and a K&N, so I was definitely doing it for fun, not to win. Still did OK locally - mid pack.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slow is Fast posted:

Autocross is the middle school dance of racing. It's great if you're just starting out in motorsports or don't want to spend a lot of money, but the rules and the people are loving terrible.

Also gently caress spending $20 for less than three minutes of track time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Geoj posted:

Also gently caress spending $20 for less than three minutes of track time.

$20? It's like $45-50 here (Detroit SCCA). Even bigger waste.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$20 is a ripoff when you can just sneak out of the house at 1 am and tear it up on some secluded parking lot for the low low price of one burnt out clutch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's even more of a waste once you consider that you can get 10x the seat time at a decent gokart place for half that price. gently caress standing around for half a day picking up cones.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Larrymer posted:

$20? It's like $45-50 here (Detroit SCCA). Even bigger waste.

I haven't autocrossed since 2007 so it's quite possible that prices here are about the same.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

But you drat well better run a factory airbox from the year your vehicle was made or some rules sperg is gonna file an official motion complaint with the high board of stock-plus-ultra-platinum class autocross rules judging!
The race starts when the rulebook's printed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

It's even more of a waste once you consider that you can get 10x the seat time at a decent gokart place for half that price. gently caress standing around for half a day picking up cones.

And if you put the gokart into a barrier, no harm no foul :) I wish there was a good gokart place around here. I'll have to try out that Unser indoor gokarting one day.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

And if you put the gokart into a barrier, no harm no foul :) I wish there was a good gokart place around here. I'll have to try out that Unser indoor gokarting one day.

there used to be an indoor kart track at west edmonton mall that was really really fast considering the outside of every turn was either a wall or a pole. There are a couple indoor tracks here now but they're more putt putt than shifter kart. Still fast, but not "Why is this legal" fast.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We need to ease back into horrible mechanical failures.

My exhaust has fallen out 3 times because of autocross.

1st time because it was a rusted out piece of poo poo. 2nd and 3rd was because I neglected to weld in the section where the cat is supposed to be.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone once grabbed a piece of my hot engine tin that fell off while auto crossing. What a retard probably burnt his hand nicely.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Slow is Fast posted:

the people are loving terrible.

I think this part really varies based on your location. I've moved a few times and alternately found assholes and good folks.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

I think this part really varies based on your location. I've moved a few times and alternately found assholes and good folks.

Oh it's definitely a blanket statement and I've met some good people at autox, but holy hell, when it's bad... It's really bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

She's broke her back. She'll never jump again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
raptor_owner.jpg

e: ok, I guess it's a Taco, but we had a Raptor in here a couple weeks ago that was about the same angle, and it wasn't the first. Or third.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 10, 2014

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Slow is Fast posted:

Oh it's definitely a blanket statement and I've met some good people at autox, but holy hell, when it's bad... It's really bad.

I don't see a problem here, I thought Tacos are supposed to be folded vaguely in half and crunchy.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Data Graham posted:

She's broke her back. She'll never jump again.

:golfclap:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Slow is Fast posted:

I saw this happen once. Truck was driving down the road with a bit of yellow nylon rope dangling underneath and it caught the driveshaft and in an instant crushed the frame.

80's fullsize GM truck. The amount of dust, dirt and mud that shot in every direction was reminiscent of seeing cars wreck at an intersection.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Found on Freiburger's facebook page:

That would've been a pants-making GBS threads moment. :stonk:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
And that right there is why you use full floating axles on offroad vehicles. At least a C-clip eliminator! Yikes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

At least a C-clip eliminator!
Seems like it has a very effective one already.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That is why you don't run dana 35s, or (if it's a d44) learn to press and install wheel bearings properly.

I've put over 100k miles on badly beaten chrysler 8.25 rears (another c clip rearend) without losing an axle like that. Sure, they're technically inferior, but it doesn't matter unless something breaks, at which point it suddenly matters a lot. "something" can be a shaft, the c clip itself (very rare), or... not much else.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah I've heard of folks snapping an axle trying to get un-stuck, and the obvious happens. My first instinct is to be surprised that a Jeep with work put into it is still on D35s, but looking closer at that wheel (fake beadlock pattern cast into the rim) it looks like maybe it's a mall crawler? Everything's so clean.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I won't pass judgement on the way the vehicle is used, but I am entirely unsurprised to see a d35 still in the back of a YJ/TJ/ZJ/WJ. There's no real cheap bolt-in replacement and people don't like spending money on things that haven't broken yet, no matter how catastrophic and day/weekend ruining said breakage is.

People who still have dana 35s also get incredibly butthurt if you imply anything bad about their axle, generally. It's pretty funny.

Here's a photo album on why you shouldn't ever leave one in a jeep with oversize tires: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The only Jeep dudes I know either keep things stock and drive them on the street, or have them done up fairly right. I remember my grandpa had D44s under his CJ, but that would have had an AMC20, wouldn't it have?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Are D35s dangerous for light offroading if I keep stock tire size and suspension?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Here's a photo album on why you shouldn't ever leave one in a jeep with oversize tires: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

:stare: So glad I swapped in that $125 8.25 you recommended.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I won't pass judgement on the way the vehicle is used, but I am entirely unsurprised to see a d35 still in the back of a YJ/TJ/ZJ/WJ. There's no real cheap bolt-in replacement and people don't like spending money on things that haven't broken yet, no matter how catastrophic and day/weekend ruining said breakage is.

4.0 WJs (the only ones that come with the D35 in the back) at least have the cheap upgrade to a D44A from a 4.7. It's not perfect by any means, though. The special unicorn aluminum center section on the D44A makes it Schodinger's axle; it simultaneously is and is not a Dana 44. It's better than the 35, but drat near zero upgrades available for every other D44 are actually compatible with it.

All the same, that picture almost makes me want to do C-clip eliminators on my GMC, and that 8.875" 12-bolt is tougher than all hell.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 237 days!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

4.0 WJs (the only ones that come with the D35 in the back) at least have the cheap upgrade to a D44A from a 4.7. It's not perfect by any means, though. The special unicorn aluminum center section on the D44A makes it Schodinger's axle; it simultaneously is and is not a Dana 44. It's better than the 35, but drat near zero upgrades available for every other D44 are actually compatible with it.

All the same, that picture almost makes me want to do C-clip eliminators on my GMC, and that 8.875" 12-bolt is tougher than all hell.

Jesus gently caress.. and here I thought us SAAB folks had it bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm drunkish, and can't remember if I posted these already. Was driving to Flagstaff. Humvee with trailer.

Still have no clue what specifically failed, and battalion still has the trailer and hasn't fixed it yet, even though it's been months.

About 20 minutes after these photos were taken by me, the tire exploded. I was pissing on a tree on the side of the road when it happened. Clenched up a bit, yeah?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it bad that my first thought was that it was driving again when the tire blew?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
To Flagstaff from where?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I took the first picture from inside in case the tire exploded before we got out and got better photos. Evidence and poo poo, because the army and DFAS will gently caress you up if they think you negligently caused an accident that damaged equipment.

El Jebus posted:

To Flagstaff from where?

Tempe/Phoenix. Actually going to Camp Navajo for a training exercise. gently caress humvees can't climb hills worth a drat.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geirskogul posted:

I took the first picture from inside in case the tire exploded before we got out and got better photos. Evidence and poo poo, because the army and DFAS will gently caress you up if they think you negligently caused an accident that damaged equipment.

Tempe/Phoenix. Actually going to Camp Navajo for a training exercise. gently caress humvees can't climb hills worth a drat.

Ah, we have a bunch of Marines in 29 Palms and I wondered if they ever did convoys East. I see them on I-10 and I-60 every once in a while.

Yeah, as much as I want to purchase and recondition a couple old humvees, I have no idea what I would do with them here in the desert.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

El Jebus posted:

Ah, we have a bunch of Marines in 29 Palms and I wondered if they ever did convoys East. I see them on I-10 and I-60 every once in a while.

Yeah, as much as I want to purchase and recondition a couple old humvees, I have no idea what I would do with them here in the desert.

Probably roll 'em.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

there used to be an indoor kart track at west edmonton mall that was really really fast considering the outside of every turn was either a wall or a pole. There are a couple indoor tracks here now but they're more putt putt than shifter kart. Still fast, but not "Why is this legal" fast.

World's Fastest Indoor GoKarts! A friend and I were permanently banned from that place. It was good times indeed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrChips posted:

World's Fastest Indoor GoKarts...permanently banned

Come on man, you know we're gonna want a story here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They went... too fast.