Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
the whole mayone.us thing is even funnier because every candidate they funded lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

Yeah basically Gruber said what everybody knows but you're not supposed to acknowledge; Americans don't understand either basic economics or the lawmaking process.

Or anything else for that matter. Fact is most people are dumb as gently caress and don't know pretty much anything about most things or understand anything above a junior high level, but you can't just outright say that because all those same people think they're very smart and that they understand all the things they don't. It'd be nice if he didn't back down like a pussy on it though, because most of the people trying to grill him over his comments also don't know poo poo about those things.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

lots of dudes in that veronica mars thread suspiciously insistent that rape and sexual harassment are not big deals in the lives of women

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Berke Negri posted:

lots of dudes in that veronica mars thread suspiciously insistent that rape and sexual harassment are not big deals in the lives of women

For some reason realities of sexual oppression elude the average goon.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

the whole mayone.us thing is even funnier because every candidate they funded lost

Everything looks right on schedule to me!

quote:

For us, winning elections is the simplest proof of viability for a longer-term strategy for fundamental reform. But it is not the only route.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Was Boyko actually high up in mayone or was he just some grunt who stupidly decided to post here?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Berke Negri posted:

I was not under the impression that sexual assault stats on campus were even contentious until that thread got into it over the numbers being used.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

Whenever I wonder why I don't have more straight male friends (not that I want any), I can be sure that somethingawful will remind me why.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

I was not under the impression that sexual assault stats on campus were even contentious until that thread got into it over the numbers being used.

They're contentious in that they under-report the scope of the problem.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sharkie posted:

Everything looks right on schedule to me!

what's the y axis here

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How obviously it is a failure. By Jan 2017 it should be ~3-4x as obvious as it is now.

Are moving companies universally unreliable?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Badger of Basra posted:

what's the y axis here

Beats me. "Reform"? Also lol at July-Nov 2014 is only slightly shorter than Nov 2014-Nov 2016. Reform can only go up, up, up!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
also that thread has managed to avoid both the newsroom and the lena dunham thing so I consider it the equivalent of the Hudson River water landing

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cheekio posted:

Are moving companies universally unreliable?

This is what friends, family, and personal assistants are for.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have used movers but I do the packing and I oversee them during the move.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If your country lacks a functional justice system to enforce contracts receiving good service all comes down to adequate motivation.

Explosive collars on their kin is what I recommend.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sharkie posted:

Whenever I wonder why I don't have more straight male friends (not that I want any), I can be sure that somethingawful will remind me why.

Man, the internet and social media in general has made having straight (white) male friends a dicey game of Russian roulette where bullets are bad opinions. Thank god few real-life instances play out the way they would on the internet and my friends are generally amenable to someone close to them calling them out on something (provided you're not too much of a dick about it).

~Two weeks ago I overheard my brother arguing with his friend about the ferguson stuff, his friend being pro-cop because he's a bit sheltered and loves LEOs (despite having several run-ins with them for possession--then again he always walked away from those, so #CrimingWhileWhite), and in the end they were able to hug it out and get back to smoking pot and snowboarding. I'm really glad few real life conversations play out the way they would on the internet.

The Warszawa posted:

also that thread has managed to avoid both the newsroom and the lena dunham thing so I consider it the equivalent of the Hudson River water landing

What lena dunham thing? The weird kiddy diddling stuff or just the usual LENA DUNHAM IS GROSS HAVE YOU SEEN HER NAKED stuff?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

what's the y axis here

dollars scammed from idiots plus accumulated pony merch

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nutranurse posted:

What lena dunham thing? The weird kiddy diddling stuff or just the usual LENA DUNHAM IS GROSS HAVE YOU SEEN HER NAKED stuff?

This stuff.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The trick to moving is to perpetually live like a college student so the only things you own that you can't fit in a car or mail are cheap pieces of Ikea furniture that it makes more sense to give away and rebuy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Isn't Veronica Mars a TV show I vaguely remember hearing the name of on ads? Why are they talking about campus rape?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

holy loving poo poo texas southern university must be as bad a school as the name implies

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
"texas" "southern" "university" its like 3 trigger words in a row literally shaking

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
With a title like that I expected the story to be about the molesting her sister bit.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Shear Modulus posted:

Isn't Veronica Mars a TV show I vaguely remember hearing the name of on ads? Why are they talking about campus rape?

The second or third season was about a campus group falsely accusing men of rape.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

dollars scammed from idiots plus accumulated pony merch

i forgot to mention that one of the students at the exam i proctored last friday was wearing a my little pony shirt :smith:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
after reading a summary of the rape episode of newsroom i'm pretty glad i never watched anything made by aaron sorkin and never loving will. well other than a few good men, which was a piece of poo poo.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jagchosis posted:

holy loving poo poo texas southern university must be as bad a school as the name implies

There's something up on it at NYMag if the hallowed pages of ATL aren't credible, but basically holy moly

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nutranurse posted:

Man, the internet and social media in general has made having straight (white) male friends a dicey game of Russian roulette where bullets are bad opinions. Thank god few real-life instances play out the way they would on the internet and my friends are generally amenable to someone close to them calling them out on something (provided you're not too much of a dick about it).

~Two weeks ago I overheard my brother arguing with his friend about the ferguson stuff, his friend being pro-cop because he's a bit sheltered and loves LEOs (despite having several run-ins with them for possession--then again he always walked away from those, so #CrimingWhileWhite), and in the end they were able to hug it out and get back to smoking pot and snowboarding. I'm really glad few real life conversations play out the way they would on the internet.

That's for sure, I just don't have the patience to deal with jerks, and there's been too many times where some guy has said something kind of iffy, and I'll think "wait I minute, I think I know where you're going with this," and yep, it ends up being some bs about women or black people.

And hugs and weed and snowboarding is definitely the best way to resolve an argument.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Badger of Basra posted:

i forgot to mention that one of the students at the exam i proctored last friday was wearing a my little pony shirt :smith:

give him a 0 or a wedgie

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

The first half of the third season is about a bunch of feminists falsely accusing men of rape. IIRC the feminists do it to bring attention to the issue (which the show treats as very real), but still :wtc:. In any case that's why most of the show's fans hate the third season, and it's too bad because up until then it's is a pretty decent feminist-y noir show about class struggle in suburbia.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

Wasn't that a big deal in the show? I haven't seen it, but wasn't the main character drugged and raped?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 9, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nutranurse posted:

some rape thing

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Alhazred posted:

Weren't that a big deal in the show? I haven't seen it, but wasn't the main character drugged and raped?

That's the setting of the show yes but I think the Veronica mars thread is actually about the UVA story

Jagchosis posted:

after reading a summary of the rape episode of newsroom i'm pretty glad i never watched anything made by aaron sorkin and never loving will. well other than a few good men, which was a piece of poo poo.

the best part is the make character ostensibly a journalist is uncomfortable being alone in the room with a rape victim because he's worried she'll falsely accuse him of rape

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 9, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

abovethelaw is dead to me

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Wasn't that a big deal in the show? I haven't seen it, but wasn't the main character drugged and raped?

Yeah that happens, and it's a pretty big plot point in the first two seasons. I honestly have no idea why the writers thought that season 3 plot was a good idea.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

That's the setting of the show yes but I think the Veronica mars thread is actually about the UVA story

Ah so it's "there were some inconsistencies in a well-publicized story, therefore all rape accusations are lies"

VikingofRock posted:

The first half of the third season is about a bunch of feminists falsely accusing men of rape. IIRC the feminists do it to bring attention to the issue (which the show treats as very real), but still :wtc:. In any case that's why most of the show's fans hate the third season, and it's too bad because up until then it's is a pretty decent feminist-y noir show about class struggle in suburbia.

That's stupid.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

Ah so it's "there were some inconsistencies in a well-publicized story, therefore all rape accusations are lies"

That's stupid.

Yup agreed.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra did you ever give us a postmortem on how much grading kids' opinions on torture, being almost assuredly formed entirely by osmosis of the cultural norm given their young age, affected your faith in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Ruben Gallego and Walter Jones both won.

(they would have won without the May Day funding, but :shrug:)

• Locked thread