Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kly
Aug 8, 2003

jivjov posted:

I'd be annoyed if every time I booted Smash on Wii U I'd have to go in and clear out my housemate's selections and the like.

I know you defend every stupid thing nintendo does, but come on. Its dumb as gently caress that you need to pick your name every time you go from one single player mode to another. You already have to clear out the DEFAULT selections every drat time, itd be nice if it remembered you during the same play session at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kly posted:

I know you defend every stupid thing nintendo does, but come on. Its dumb as gently caress that you need to pick your name every time you go from one single player mode to another. You already have to clear out the DEFAULT selections every drat time, itd be nice if it remembered you during the same play session at least.

Eh, that I can see. Remembering during a play-session would be a handy feature. Now that Nintendo has learned how to patch games, maybe we'll get that in a future update.

EDIT: Also, what's with the implication that it's somehow wrong to be okay with Nintendo's design decisions?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 9, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

jivjov posted:

EDIT: Also, what's with the implication that it's somehow wrong to be okay with Nintendo's design decisions?

Because Nintendo fans go out of their way to defend everything they do despite the stupid decisions they sometimes make. This is coming from a Nintendo fan.

That said, having Smash U retain your player information in a single playsession would go a long ways, or at the least, maybe they can figure out a way to assign a specific controller with a person.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

jivjov posted:

Some people really like to complain about videogames, I dunno. :shrug:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

They coulda just tied your color choices to your name profile and let you pick a name profile once and remember it on that controller until you power off or change it, I don't think that's beyond the scope of programming.

The 3DS has the way better single-player experience, but that makes sense considering the Wii U version could just be two modes, Smash and Online, and it'd be perfect as-is.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

jivjov posted:

I get where you're coming from on most of this...but what "personalized experience" does the Wii U version lack that the 3DS version has?

DoctorWhat pretty much got most of that down. Having Smash for 3DS remember the color/alt I gave it and not having to set up so that the "controller" remembers my control configurations are rather nice perks that comes with the fact that the 3DS is likely only used by one in comparison to the console version.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, because the Wii U is a home console with multiple potential players, whereas generally speaking only one person is going to be using a 3DS. I'd be annoyed if every time I booted Smash on Wii U I'd have to go in and clear out my housemate's selections and the like.

Basically this part.

Also, it helps keep records such as Home-Run Contest records as my own records whereas the Wii U records will likely be overwritten by other persons better at them than I.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be a simple fix, just have a menu option for "Default 1P Profile" and if your housemate is pissing you off, just remove his name from that and add yours. For many players, that would be a set-once-and-forget convenience option.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, all I could really ask is that the first nametag used by X controller in each play session be remembered, and that the nametags tracked your color preferences.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Folt The Bolt posted:

Also, it helps keep records such as Home-Run Contest records as my own records whereas the Wii U records will likely be overwritten by other persons better at them than I.

Here's something I really wish was implemented...tie records and high scores to names, or at least have a notation showing what profile name set a high score. I don't mind having my top scores beat out by a friend or whatever, but it'd be really nice to see who set a record.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Yeah, because the Wii U is a home console with multiple potential players, whereas generally speaking only one person is going to be using a 3DS. I'd be annoyed if every time I booted Smash on Wii U I'd have to go in and clear out my housemate's selections and the like.

Not letting me set a default configuration is very bad interface design. Reverting it differently depending on which screen I'm in is downright incompetence; ie, some character selection screens retain that information after playing, others loose it. And then there's the non-standard screens where the method to change to your preferred control scheme is non-obvious which I might just call malicious interface design. It's easily the worst thing about the Wii U version.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
How the hell do I play Duck Hunt.

All of his attacks are weak as hell and zapper smashes almost always push people out of the combo instead of launching them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Reiley posted:

They coulda just tied your color choices to your name profile and let you pick a name profile once and remember it on that controller until you power off or change it, I don't think that's beyond the scope of programming.

The 3DS has the way better single-player experience, but that makes sense considering the Wii U version could just be two modes, Smash and Online, and it'd be perfect as-is.

honestly i think as it is the game would be better if it were just Smash and Online, just because that implies all of the lovely unlock requirements for cds and custom moves would be gone, or at least would unlock by doing something that's actually fun. i'm enjoying this game a ton but they really dropped the ball with every single singleplayer mode that isn't special orders or home run contest.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Heavy Sigh posted:

All of his attacks are weak as hell and zapper smashes almost always push people out of the combo instead of launching them.
The best way to play Duck Hunt is to vs Duck Hunt.
I haven't spent much time using DH, but from my online matches he's all about running away and spamming projectiles

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

.TakaM posted:

The best way to play Duck Hunt is to vs Duck Hunt.
I haven't spent much time using DH, but from my online matches he's all about running away and spamming projectiles

Please do not extrapolate the lovely tactics of bad players in For Glory to cover Duck Hunt

It costs basically nothing to have a sheriff or can backing you up so have one of those out pretty much all the time (if people try to shield the sheriff run up and grab them).

Down throw combos into forward air at low percentages generally, up air is an excellent damage dealer and kill move.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Please do not extrapolate the lovely tactics of bad players in For Glory to cover Duck Hunt

It costs basically nothing to have a sheriff or can backing you up so have one of those out pretty much all the time (if people try to shield the sheriff run up and grab them).

Down throw combos into forward air at low percentages generally, up air is an excellent damage dealer and kill move.

I shielded the Sherrif (but I didn't shield the Duck Hunt Dog)

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

jivjov posted:

Here's something I really wish was implemented...tie records and high scores to names, or at least have a notation showing what profile name set a high score. I don't mind having my top scores beat out by a friend or whatever, but it'd be really nice to see who set a record.

I thought Melee did this but maybe I'm wrong. I swear I remember sitting in my friends basement when we were young comparing stats like KOs and SDs and stuff that was all tied to the names registered.

sharrrk posted:

...all of the lovely unlock requirements for cds and custom moves would be gone, or at least would unlock by doing something that's actually fun. i'm enjoying this game a ton but they really dropped the ball with every single singleplayer mode that isn't special orders or home run contest.

I'm the opposite of you, I dig unlocking stuff like music, gear and moves. I'm glad they only had a few characters and stages locked though and they're all easy to get just by playing Smash mode. I've also had fun with all the non-stadium solo/co-op modes, even Smash Tour grew on me.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I finally beat Kirby's Crazy Appetite so you can just go ahead and call me Video Game God from now on

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Since people here are clearly more capable than me, I might as well ask: Any tips for playing Captain Falcon? He's my main and I'm decent with him, but I want to improve. Plus I can't do the "beat All-Star on Normal without healing" challenge, I'm too much of an aggresive idiot.

Also, any equipment choices that'd make Classic easier, as well as the All-Star Battle Events? I'm really bad with equipment, I still don't quite fully understand how good it is so I keep only going for balanced stat boosts instead of something substantial. This isn't neccesarily for Captain Falcon, any character that'd make high Classic levels slightly less of a pain would be greatly appreciated.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since people here are clearly more capable than me, I might as well ask: Any tips for playing Captain Falcon? He's my main and I'm decent with him, but I want to improve. Plus I can't do the "beat All-Star on Normal without healing" challenge, I'm too much of an aggresive idiot.

Also, any equipment choices that'd make Classic easier, as well as the All-Star Battle Events? I'm really bad with equipment, I still don't quite fully understand how good it is so I keep only going for balanced stat boosts instead of something substantial. This isn't neccesarily for Captain Falcon, any character that'd make high Classic levels slightly less of a pain would be greatly appreciated.

You have to study your opponent. Ask them to show you their moves.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Heavy Sigh posted:

Duck Hunt has really strong aerials. His f air and n air are fast and easy to hit with and his u air kills up top pretty early.

For his f smash, try and hit them with just the third hit of it. Once you get used to the range it's easily one if the strongest moves you have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kly posted:

I thought Melee did this but maybe I'm wrong. I swear I remember sitting in my friends basement when we were young comparing stats like KOs and SDs and stuff that was all tied to the names registered.

I think he means single-player and co-op game records, not KOs and damage stats that your name logs which is still in. You'll notice if you go into Target Blast, Classic or anything with a score you'll only see the highest score someone's achieved for the character and not the name of who got it which is pretty dumb.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I finally beat Kirby's Crazy Appetite so you can just go ahead and call me Video Game God from now on

Please enlighten me! Some cool people have already posted good advice in the thread so I know you can copy HRH King Dedede's inhale to make the food heal more, but I can't seem to get the inhale to actually work on food unless I'm basically on top of it.

Also is there a good loop around the stage to follow or is it just running from closest chest to closest chest?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Duck Hunt I saw in a VG Bootcamp tournament seemed to set up a base behind his sheriffs and tried to put all three projectile moves out to control space as well as possible (sheriff, can, skeet). He did well until someone broke through his sheriff encampment, I think this was the guy who up-smashed a Peach and then jumped off the stage and SD'd before the Peach could finish vanishing into the distance, giving up a win in the very last moment.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Done with all events, co op or otherwise, with all rewards. Only all-star challenge left is Duck Hunt on hard. Then it's Classic on 9.0... ugh...

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Reiley posted:

The Duck Hunt I saw in a VG Bootcamp tournament seemed to set up a base behind his sheriffs and tried to put all three projectile moves out to control space as well as possible (sheriff, can, skeet). He did well until someone broke through his sheriff encampment, I think this was the guy who up-smashed a Peach and then jumped off the stage and SD'd before the Peach could finish vanishing into the distance, giving up a win in the very last moment.

Why would anyone do this? Was it an accident, or did he just gently caress up really hard trying to style on someone?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

CatsPajamas posted:

Please enlighten me! Some cool people have already posted good advice in the thread so I know you can copy HRH King Dedede's inhale to make the food heal more, but I can't seem to get the inhale to actually work on food unless I'm basically on top of it.

Also is there a good loop around the stage to follow or is it just running from closest chest to closest chest?

I beat it without using inhale. The bottom left will often have two chests spawn. You kinda have to get lucky, though. It's much easier when presents spawn.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Why would anyone do this? Was it an accident, or did he just gently caress up really hard trying to style on someone?

I think the guy just had a reputation for playing goofy, "donating a stock" and getting accidental SDs or whatever, and he thought he won so he hopped off the stage out of some unfathomable compulsion but didn't calculate on the up-smash death animation being the longest of the three possible sequences. The commentators thought he won and didn't even realize what happened until Peach showed up on the victory screen and there was like five minutes of these dudes trying to piece together what just happened. I think it was a VG bootcamp stream but I'm not sure. Anyways that Duck Hunt had some kind of base-building thing going which worked pretty well for them.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I just realized I kinda have no idea how to aerial. Some moves click with me. Some moves I cannot get to connect with the opponent for the life of me. Is there any general advice for my stupidity or is the answer just practice.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always have a really hard time figuring out what smash attack duck hunt is charging up and i always guess wrong and get hit instead of punishing it like i want to

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Heavy Sigh posted:

Duck Hunt is very much not a melee fighter. His strength is in keeping his distance and pelting his opponent with attacks at such a distance that it's impossible to fight back. His strongest moves for that is his side+B, the Clay Pigeon, and his down+B, the Gunmen. Throw a disc, press B again to shoot and destroy it, then set down a gunman. His grenades are also quite good at zoning - for instance, plant a grenade on top of a platform on Battlefield while you throw skeets and gunmen standing below it. Now your opponent actually can't approach you at all.

But he still has some tools to fight one-on-one. If your opponent closes the gap, your dash attack and forward tilt are both good at knocking them away because they have long-lasting hitboxes. His forward-air and his back-air both have disjoints on the duck, meaning if an attack hits the duck, it won't hit the dog. His grabs are generally pretty good but it's tricky to do much out of any of them - which is fine with you, because all you really want is to get them off of you so you can go back to throwing discs and gunmen.

Duck Hunt's biggest weakness is actually killing. His best moves for it are all of his smash attacks, his neutral-air (the spinny thing), his up-air, and his back-air. If you didn't know, his forward smash gets more range the longer he charges it, in addition to getting stronger, so you might be able to fake out your opponent if they aren't aware. The third hit will also always hit a person hanging on the ledge, so that's something you can try to capitalize on. Down smash hits more reliably into itself, but its weaker. His up throw can kill at over 200% if you can't land anything other than discs.

Duck Hunt's recovery is really good, but you can't cancel it and it's really slow. Don't be afraid to jank your recovery in order to escape an obvious edgeguard.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Captain Falcon is a rush-down character: you want to be really aggressive with his movements because his attacks are all based around that. His dash-grab might be the best in the game; if you land the grab, down throw into something. The favourite is into his up-air, then another without double jumping, then hitting the ground, and jump and start up-airing again. If you want to mix it up, his neutral-air is quite fast but the hitbox is a little more precise. As epic as his knee is, you want to avoid just throwing it out because a miss means you're wide open.

His standard jab has surprising reach and priority, so using it to combo directly into your grab is a good idea. His up-tilt, the axe kick, spikes at his heel consistently, so you can stand on the ledge and use it to edgeguard.

Falcon's not the best at worming his way into his opponent: either he's in, or he's not. If you can wall him out well enough (like with Duck Hunt!) then he's unlikely to consistently get in and make the big plays like he wants to. His weight and size also makes him really vulnerable against characters with lots of light-hit combos - Mario, Kirby, possibly Meta Knight, Lucario at low Aura, etc. He's good at harassing, but he's easy to harass.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still haven't managed to find a character that's really clicked with me, yet. Makes me sad. I used to be baller as hell with Zelda in Brawl, and I wanted to like Palutena, but they both feel too slow and limp-wristed. I'm probably wrong, it just felt like I never accomplished anything of note with either of them.

I'm so Bad At Video Games :saddowns:

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
http://youtu.be/saWxRYDG9Ns?t=9m54s

anybody asking about playing MegaMan well, check that video out.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Sitting Bull posted:

http://youtu.be/saWxRYDG9Ns?t=9m54s

anybody asking about playing MegaMan well, check that video out.

Here's one of the related videos that I'm really feeling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCwtmXb52k4

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

John Lee posted:

I don't have an Amiibo yet; I hope I have the Coin to buy it in Time.

Post of the Year 2014.

Anybody have any Pac-Tips? I'm playing him a lot by using Bonus Fruit, dash attack, and living by the "must be a fire hydrant down at all times" rule.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

How do I make a ceiling on a custom stage without the spawning platforms dropping us on top of it on death.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

How do I make a ceiling on a custom stage without the spawning platforms dropping us on top of it on death.

Falling blocks was the only way to do it in Brawl

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There are so many things I love about playing Mr. Game and Watch. His weird movements, amazing taunts, and goofy attacks just make it a complete pleasure to fight as him.

The best part, however, is turning a really poorly played match around using sheer luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ppV1QGdqoQ

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
That Sheik kinda sucks, but the ending was hilarious

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!
I made an Ike rage quit similarly on 3DS:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hI8557RTXPg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I'm playing the JPN version of Smash, and I'm in event mode. For some of the events, it says something like, "Hidden route condition: Allows you to play as ???????" or something like that. I unlocked Falco in the very first one, but I have no idea how I did it. What the hell are these? Are they like hidden conditions that I have to meet to unlock characters?

• Locked thread