Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

AceClown posted:

I bought the M14 toolkit so I was OK with that, everything sort of made sense and it was nice to see old friends like serra angels and sengier vamps.

Then I opened my theros boosters I bought and it confused the poo poo out of me. I pulled a Boros Reckoner and the guy in the FLGS told me it was a good money card and for the life of me I could not figure out why? I mean its a 3/3 and any damage done to it will turn in to damage I can fire back, but why would anyone block it knowing that?? and if I pay and give him first strike then that won't work so ummm what...

I was still in the mindset of "get big creatures out, win game"

I was the same way. I came back during Return to Ravnica after quitting just after Lorwyn came out. I saw LOTV and went "wow, what a garbage card. why would anyone want to +1 her?". Then I played with her in a Jund deck and was blown away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AceClown posted:

I bought the M14 toolkit so I was OK with that, everything sort of made sense and it was nice to see old friends like serra angels and sengier vamps.

Then I opened my theros boosters I bought and it confused the poo poo out of me. I pulled a Boros Reckoner and the guy in the FLGS told me it was a good money card and for the life of me I could not figure out why? I mean its a 3/3 and any damage done to it will turn in to damage I can fire back, but why would anyone block it knowing that?? and if I pay and give him first strike then that won't work so ummm what...

I was still in the mindset of "get big creatures out, win game"

Boros Reckoner isn't in Standard any more. It was good for a variety of reasons. It totally stonewalls your opponent's biggest creature since they don't want to attack with it. It's really hard to block effectively when it's attacking (it trades with a 6/6 or two x/3s) and the mana cost worked really well with the devotion mechanic in theros. There was a Red devotion deck that ran it alongside Ash Zealot and Fanatic of Mogis. And while it was in Standard with Innistrad block there were decks that tried to resolve a Blasphemous Act. with it on the board.

Mostly it's good because it's just really hard to block or attack into without 2-for-1ing yourself somehow.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

By my quick math I was 14 when I quit playing and 26 when I picked it back up. Being able to understand strategy beyond "Block cause you don't want to take damage!" it was like opening the black and white door into color world.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

(it trades with a 6/6 or two x/3s)

Only if the sum of their power is greater than 3 :smuggo: (just recalling how many times I was brickwalled by Kraken Hatchlings in draft)

Even then, it was usually better to give first strike to kill a free creature and throw the other spare damage at the player than lose the Reckoner....which is why he was so goddamn hard to block, with plays like this so it was very hard to force the trade.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

weekly font posted:

By my quick math I was 14 when I quit playing and 26 when I picked it back up. Being able to understand strategy beyond "Block cause you don't want to take damage!" it was like opening the black and white door into color world.

It really is - I remember that (similar situation where I stopped playing around 12 and picked Magic back up again around 22) and once I realized there was more to the game then turning mans sideways and Timmy combos, I was really hooked.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I built a casual friendly Maze's End deck for kitchen table play in my 5 friend multiplayer group.

God drat do I wish I was more into Magic a block or so ago. I would have played the poo poo out of that at FNM until the end of time.

I'm that guy.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have a friend who's been experimenting with Summer Bloom and Scapeshift into Maze's End. It's kind of :shepface: but it's apparently very fast.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zurai posted:

My deck when I was in school was Sorceress Queens, Royal Assassins, Mundungus, and Counterspells, with Nightmares as wincons :smug:

For some reason nobody wanted to play against it :suicide:

When I was in school "wincon" was whatever creature had the most power.

I also used to played Revised duals on asphalt, unsleeved.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

When I was in school "wincon" was whatever creature had the most power.

I also used to played Revised duals on asphalt, unsleeved.

My first "good" deck was UW lifegain protection. I had icatian moneychangers, castle, zuran orb, counterspells, and then this was my finisher.

That way I could beat my friend Lord of the Pit deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

jassi007 posted:

My first "good" deck was UW lifegain protection. I had icatian moneychangers, castle, zuran orb, counterspells, and then this was my finisher.

That way I could beat my friend Lord of the Pit deck.

My first "good" deck was probably whatever I made as a 30 year old adult. I don't think I was ever good as a kid. I just liked big creatures and spells with splashy effects.

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I remember throwing away wastelands with the lot of bulk commons because why play wasteland when you have stripmine

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

weekly font posted:

That's pretty funny. That was the change I appreciated the most. Damage not being on the stack took some getting used to but it's so much better now.

Yea when I was just getting back into it my friend going 'oh and mana burn isn't a thing' made me legit happy. That was such a loving stupid concept.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I don't think I noticed the mana burn change when I came back because it just never came up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
If I play something like Magister of Worth and trigger a vote, does resolving the vote and the outcome effect take place as one thing, or can I respond to the outcome effect (exile graveyards etc)?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
So here in New Zealand a guy stabbed his friend to death because of a powerful combination of schizophrenia and Magic: The Gathering.

The report doesn't specify which of those two factors lead to him getting off due to insanity.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11371996

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

If I play something like Magister of Worth and trigger a vote, does resolving the vote and the outcome effect take place as one thing, or can I respond to the outcome effect (exile graveyards etc)?

Luckily for you the answer is contained right in Magister's Gatherer page:

quote:

Players can’t do anything after they finishing voting but before the spell or ability that included the vote finishes resolving.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

From the rulings on Magister of Worth herself:

5/29/2014: No player votes until the spell or ability resolves. Any responses to that spell or ability must be made without knowing the outcome of the vote.
5/29/2014: Players can’t do anything after they finishing voting but before the spell or ability that included the vote finishes resolving.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

These perks are ... not good

General Registration - $75
Entry into Grand Prix Las Vegas – build a sealed deck with 6 packs of Modern Masters 2015!
Exclusive Grand Prix UltraPro Playmat featuring art from Modern Masters 2015!
Grand Prix Foil Promo Griselbrand
Set of ChannelFireball Tokens
ChannelFireball lifepad and pen
Exclusive Grand Prix Las Vegas 2015 Token signed by Luis Scott-Vargas!

This also comes with the Sleeves and Deckbox at the $150 level (presumably the same, but I guess they could be generic CFB ones instead) if you pre-reg before 12/15.

fuckingwhocares fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 10, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

newtestleper posted:

So here in New Zealand a guy stabbed his friend to death because of a powerful combination of schizophrenia and Magic: The Gathering.

The report doesn't specify which of those two factors lead to him getting off due to insanity.

I'd say it was 99% the schizophrenia and 1% other. I mean, unless the guy was claming that his victim was Griselbrand (and he may have), I'd just say he was a mentally ill man who thought his victim was a demon. He also happened to enjoy pastimes such as M:tG.

This article isn't as sensational as it could have been, but pairing the murder with M:tG is, at best, clickbait, and at worst an invitation for people to dredge up the old specter of "Magic is a game that supports satanic rituals and corrupts our youths!" and other bullshit.

quote:

Forensic psychiatrist Dr James Cavney said ... [Armstrong's] moral compass was upset by his obsession with the fantasy game Magic: The Gathering.

This statement assumes that the murderer's 'moral compass' was true and right before Magic the Gathering came along and forced him into obsession, upsetting his morals and turning him into a murderer.
And his obsession wasn't with the fantasy realm (at least not what we know). It was with the fact that he lost a game to the victim, and the loss manifested itself in his mind as the victim's voice taunting him.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
But demons in Magic are awesome. Why would you kill your awesome "draw 7 cards" friend?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Let's not discount this now. I mean, I've played against UW elixir control before and I certainly felt like murdering my best friend after that.

Friends don't let friends play decks without a wincon.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

weekly font posted:

Coming back at Innistrad after playing from Revised through Masques was weird as hell. What is this planes walker poo poo? Equipment? Is this the StarWars CCG? Holy poo poo a 15/15!

My Magic career's had a similar timeline. I stopped in Saga block, then cracked an Innistrad pack just because Oh Hey Magic's Still A Thing, Let's Check It Out. The rare was double-sided Garruk. That was a pretty big surprise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a big difference between murdering someone in order to steal their valuable Magic collection (I think there was a case like that last year) and being so deluded you think your friend is a demon. Obviously blaming the card game and not the murderer is pretty silly in either case.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dungeon Ecology posted:

This statement assumes that the murderer's 'moral compass' was true and right before Magic the Gathering came along and forced him into obsession, upsetting his morals and turning him into a murderer.

It's really more of a moral pie.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i bet he played abzan midrange

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

torsoboy posted:

I remember throwing away wastelands with the lot of bulk commons because why play wasteland when you have stripmine

I am 99% sure that I had 5 force of wills in my old collection from middle school. When I saw that Wizards of the Coast had been sold to TSR, in conjunction with some bad experiences at local tournaments, I gave my cards to my brother who also played.

A few years ago he took his whole collection to a card shop and the guy paid him like 50 bucks for a pretty big chunk of cardage. I am confident that we had at least 8 force of wills between us. Now that I am getting back into MtG and building a control deck I am kicking myself.

On the plus side, I now have the leftovers of both of our collections and am pretty sure that a lot of our cards are actually alternate fourth. One of us bought a box of starters and I am pretty sure that it may have been entirely alternate fourth. A lot of my fourth edition cards have extremely dark coloring in comparison to other fourth edition cards. I need to get a UV light to check.

edit: My head exploded when I learned that mana burn is no longer a thing.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 10, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am 99% sure that I had 5 force of wills in my old collection. When I saw that Wizards of the Coast had been sold to TSR, in conjunction with some bad experiences at local tournaments, I gave my cards to my brother who also played.

A few years ago he took his whole collection to a card shop and the guy paid him like 50 bucks for a pretty big chunk of cardage. I am confident that we had at least 8 force of wills between us. Now that I am getting back into MtG and building a control deck I am kicking myself.

After playing since Revised, the only valuable cards (ie over $10) I had when I started playing again for real (right around GTC) were a beat up Force and a Survival of the Fittest, plus an Emrakul I got out of an impulse fat pack. I have the best luck with packs. :sigh: I know at one point I had like 3 Forces, but who knows where they went? :iiam:

Oh well, at least I'm not my friend who is missing his old collection including, among other things, several Forces and a Chains of Mephistopheles.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

After playing since Revised, the only valuable cards (ie over $10) I had when I started playing again for real (right around GTC) were a beat up Force and a Survival of the Fittest, plus an Emrakul I got out of an impulse fat pack. I have the best luck with packs. :sigh: I know at one point I had like 3 Forces, but who knows where they went? :iiam:

Oh well, at least I'm not my friend who is missing his old collection including, among other things, several Forces and a Chains of Mephistopheles.

My brother had an older friend hand him a stack of cards that included a Juzam Djinn. He sold the Juzam Djinn for $50 a week later. I still have two Deserts from that stack of cards. Too bad they are pretty much useless.

Also forgot that I had a full set of the Mirage-Visions tutors, two Natural Orders, and a Lion's Eye Diamond. All gone. :( The guy at the card shop must've had to change his pants after he cleaned my brother out.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

newtestleper posted:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I nearly outed myself in that thread wanting to say "But Lavinia of the Tenth isn't even that good a card." But I think :thejoke:.

Also, I probably would have replaced the margarita glass with an e-cig.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

newtestleper posted:

But did he delve while casting his Murderous Cut?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

MiddleEastBeast posted:

But did he delve while casting his Murderous Cut?
...go home.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Froghammer posted:

...go home.

It's a valid question after all the cheating allegations recently.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I haven't khans drafted in a while, so I tried again tonight. Drafted a sultai control deck, 4 hard counters plus spellcatcher, some force aways, crippling chill, treasure cruise, some decent walls, and 2 despise. Somehow it's working like clockwork. I just got to live the dream by casting villainous wealth for 10. That card is so gross in draft if you can durdle long enough.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's really more of a moral pie.

It's not just a black and white issue; there's also blue, red, and green.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I haven't khans drafted in a while, so I tried again tonight. Drafted a sultai control deck, 4 hard counters plus spellcatcher, some force aways, crippling chill, treasure cruise, some decent walls, and 2 despise. Somehow it's working like clockwork. I just got to live the dream by casting villainous wealth for 10. That card is so gross in draft if you can durdle long enough.
But the question with Villanous Wealth I always ask myself is, should I exile myself in the hopes of getting my big dudes out, or piss off my opponent by stealing all of his poo poo?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

newtestleper posted:

Scars block was a few years ago man, Go For The Throat isn't in Standard!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

But the question with Villanous Wealth I always ask myself is, should I exile myself in the hopes of getting my big dudes out, or piss off my opponent by stealing all of his poo poo?

I recommend your opponent so that you're not cheating.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Olive Branch posted:

"Target opponent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I almost made a grown man cry with Villainous Wealth which has catapulted it to my favorite card in this set forever.

• Locked thread