Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That is good news, it was kind of ridiculous how long they left it. Didn't have much hope and presumed USA were just kinda pretending it didn't exist or something.

Think it's probably time for The League to finalise as everyone is so busy to the point where Kroll was barely in last season. With that and Kroll Show both ending next year, I hope there's solid plans for new shows for the following season. I'll miss my fix otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems really stupid that Person of Interest is off for two weeks (last and this week) and then has just one episode before going on Winter break.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

muscles like this? posted:

It seems really stupid that Person of Interest is off for two weeks (last and this week) and then has just one episode before going on Winter break.

They did it last year too. It's unclear why they do that, other than to give the midseason finale a bump by airing it after the other shows already went on hiatus, maybe?

So I noticed Hitfix has their annual metapoll out. Nothing too surprising, other than Broad City cracking the Top 10 maybe (good for them).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

hcreight posted:

They did it last year too. It's unclear why they do that, other than to give the midseason finale a bump by airing it after the other shows already went on hiatus, maybe?

Technically last season's actual midseason finale aired before any hiatuses; the episode they crammed smack in the middle of it was the first of the two-parter that kicked off S3b. I'd imagine next week's episode will probably do similar (in terms of establishing the arcing storyline through the end of the season).

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

ShakeZula posted:

Hey, in very good and very surprising news, USA has renewed Playing House for a second season!

http://deadline.com/2014/12/playing-house-renewed-season-2-usa-1201316407/

Finally. It took so long it would have been rude to cancel it. And TV executives are never rude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Continuum also suffered from a long rear end wait to find out if they got cancelled or renewed (it was renewed for a 6 episode final season.)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Interestingly, it turns out the Playing House renewal is a sort of experiment by USA. They'll be putting the episodes up a week ahead of time on their OnDemand service and seeing how that affects the live viewership numbers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bown posted:

The second and third episodes of this season were actually drat good. But yeah the latest was back to crappy so this doesn't surprise me at all

Its funny. I only got HBO a few months ago, so I've never seen a full episode before, not like the critical reception makes me want to watch it anyway. But anyway, Newsroom has popped up on HBO the last couple of days, so I've been checking out five minute chunks at a time.

Because that's all I can handle. Even before the campus rape episode, just these little chunks. People arguing with lawyers about some sort of case. The exploded side kick from Speed (I know he's Jeff Daniels, but I prefer him that way, okay?) giving a speech in court about rights and everything right. His lady worrying about marriage or something.

Its unbearable. The sheer sense of entitlement smearing off every line of dialogue. Example of a way to show hot shot your characters: talk about what law school they went to and their ranking, which post stains West Wing a bit considering how often they used that motif. Having a pure angel of a character giving a towering speech while kowtowing to the lowly masses (loving Ayn Rand all over that) while sacrificing himself due to his IDEAS. Women being silly and poo poo.

Its kind of incredible it could be that offputting that quickly but there you go.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, Sorkin released a statement yesterday responding to the criticisms of the campus rape storyline, in which he explains who the real victim is here:

Aaron Sorkin posted:

Let me take a moment to say that I understand that the story in last night’s episode (305–”Oh Shenandoah”) about Don trying to persuade a Princeton student named Mary (Sarah Sutherland) not to engage in a “Crossfire”-style segment on his show has catalyzed some passionate debate this morning. I’m happy to hear it.

It catalyzed some passionate debate in our writers room too. Arguments in the writers room at The Newsroom are not only common, they’re encouraged. The staff’s ability to argue with each other and with me about issues ranging from journalistic freedom vs. national security to whether or not Kat Dennings should come back and save the company is one of their greatest assets and something I look for during the hiring process. Ultimately I have to go into a room by myself and write the show but before I do I spend many days listening to, participating in and stoking these arguments. As with any show, I have to create a safe environment where people can disagree and no one fears having their voice drowned out or, worse, mocked.

Alena Smith, a staff writer who joined the show for the third season, had strong objections to the Princeton story and made those objections known to me and to the room. I heard Alena’s objections and there was some healthy back and forth. After a while I needed to move on (there’s a clock ticking) but Alena wasn’t ready to do that yet. I gave her more time but then I really needed to move on. Alena still wouldn’t let me do that so I excused her from the room.

The next day I wrote a new draft of the Princeton scenes–the draft you saw performed last night. Alena gave the new pages her enthusiastic support. So I was surprised to be told this morning that Alena had tweeted out her unhappiness with the story. But I was even more surprised that she had so casually violated the most important rule of working in a writers room which is confidentiality. It was a room in which people felt safe enough to discuss private and intimate details of their lives in the hope of bringing dimension to stories that were being pitched. That’s what happens in writers rooms and while ours was the first one Alena ever worked in, the importance of privacy was made clear to everyone on our first day of work and was reinforced constantly. I’m saddened that she’s broken that trust.

Poor Aaron. It must be horrible for him, having his trust and privacy violated like that.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ShakeZula posted:

Interestingly, it turns out the Playing House renewal is a sort of experiment by USA. They'll be putting the episodes up a week ahead of time on their OnDemand service and seeing how that affects the live viewership numbers.

Showtime has been doing that for years already (at least with certain shows like Nurse Jackie)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Poor Aaron. It must be horrible for him, having his trust and privacy violated like that.

I'd be worried about being alone in the same room as him because there's a chance he would falsely accuse me of violating the Writers Room.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DaveWoo posted:

Speaking of which, Sorkin released a statement yesterday responding to the criticisms of the campus rape storyline, in which he explains who the real victim is here:

What a trust slut.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DaveWoo posted:

The man is a reprehensible oval office. This has been known for some time.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DaveWoo posted:

Almost like people who are falsely accused of rape. Really makes you think.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I went ahead and made a thread for The Librarians, since a few people were talking about it in here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686964

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DaveWoo posted:

He was asking for it, his laptop all askew like that. Writing on there for anyone passing by to read.

(What even is the controversy here, I don't watch that show)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Sorkin hires this girl to write for his show. She has an issue with one of the scripts, so he goes home and rewrites it. He shows the revised script to her and she goes "looks good." The show airs and she turns around and whines about it on Twitter. Sorkins responds by calling her out on Twitter. And now we have internet loudmouths comparing it to the skank who faked a rape story for Rolling Stone or something.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

It's Sorkin, so it will be something that exploits a real life news story with absolutely no subtlety or tact while also including something horrifically misogynistic. Even odds that it also includes a character assassination of a real world critic of Sorkin.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Irish Joe could be Aaron Sorkin, though I do find Aaron Sorking to be a little bit more likeable. Also intelligent.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Irish Joe could be Aaron Sorkin, though I do find Aaron Sorking to be a little bit more likeable. Also intelligent.

Aaron Sorkin liking 2 Broke Girls seems slightly impossible

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Pretty sure the only people who watch Newsroom are people who want to get outraged by it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

HUMAN FISH posted:

Pretty sure the only people who watch Newsroom are people who want to get outraged by it.

While I only kept going with the show for hatewatching purposes I actually thought it was having a solid season until Sunday's episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HUMAN FISH posted:

I've been a big fan of the show for it's entire run.

This most recent episode was legit awful. And not just for the rape discussion. I can't believe this is how Sorkin wrote the second to last episode of the show.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

HUMAN FISH posted:

i love the newsroom and allison pill is my fave

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Sorkin hires this girl to write for his show. She has an issue with one of the scripts, so he goes home and rewrites it. He shows the revised script to her and she goes "looks good." The show airs and she turns around and whines about it on Twitter. Sorkins responds by calling her out on Twitter. And now we have internet loudmouths comparing it to the skank who faked a rape story for Rolling Stone or something.

Are we really gonna take Aaron Sorkin at his word here?

edit: A person I follow on Twitter just posted the following, which is just... Well here:

"Seeing @CommunityTV reach it's 100th episode makes me believe that anyone/anything can rise from adversity."

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 9, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Why wouldn't you trust the word of a man with a track record of responding to fair criticism by using a multimillion dollar television production to make undisguised strawman caricatures of his critics and spitefully act out public revenge on them at the expense of the programme?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

Are we really gonna take Aaron Sorkin at his word here?

Why not? What does a powerful employer have to gain by calling out his subordinate? The writer can run her mouth all day and the only person she's hurting is herself. After all, who is going to hire a person who takes a disagreement over the direction of a story to the public arena? That's an incredibly petty and self-destructive thing to do. Meanwhile, Aaron could poo poo on all of his employees and still have hundreds more knocking down his door to write for him. There's no motive for his post except to tell the real story.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

What does a powerful employer have to gain by calling out his subordinate?

Belittling someone on Twitter is its own reward.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irish Joe posted:

Why not? What does a powerful employer have to gain by calling out his subordinate? The writer can run her mouth all day and the only person she's hurting is herself. After all, who is going to hire a person who takes a disagreement over the direction of a story to the public arena? That's an incredibly petty and self-destructive thing to do. Meanwhile, Aaron could poo poo on all of his employees and still have hundreds more knocking down his door to write for him. There's no motive for his post except to tell the real story.

Have you met Aaron "petty and self-destructive" Sorkin?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Have you met Irish "Irish Joe" Joe?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Yoshifan823 posted:

Honestly I haven't seen a single thing Sorkin's ever done.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, why would a powerful employer call out an ex-girlfriend's faith, an ex-girlfriend's TV show, and an ex-fling's salacious job and personality (http://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/aaron-sorkin-continues-to-work-out-his-issues-with-exgirlfriends-through-his-show.php) on his TV show?

Or drop a crack pipe in the airport?

For he is a powerful employer.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
i want to smoke crack with AS (aaron sorkin)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its not like he had a disagreement with an internet message board and then dedicate an entire episode to how awful they are!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not like he had a disagreement with an internet message board and then dedicate an entire episode to how awful they are!

Was that episode of West Wing based on real life events? :laffo:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

smg77 posted:

Was that episode of West Wing based on real life events? :laffo:

Yep it was with Television Without Pity, and even though they were awful the fact he made an episode about it is hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Well in fairness internet message boards are terrible. The evidence speaks for itself.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Well in fairness internet message boards are terrible. The evidence speaks for itself.

Yeah they are, but airing it publicly is petty and really really stupid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah they are, but airing it publicly is petty and really really stupid.

On the other hand that episode was funny and I liked it, so it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep it was with Television Without Pity, and even though they were awful the fact he made an episode about it is hilarious.

I don't know if I can really fault him for going after them. TWoP was a horrible place.

• Locked thread