Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vaall posted:

Very informative responses. I feel educated now.

Cheers, mate. We do our best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Terminator 3 is a serviceable retread of T2. It is largely inoffensive. Terminator Salvation is an entirely unmemorable, dreary, bland mess.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Scyantific posted:

Should probably cleanse your palate (are TV show trailers allowed?)

Check out the trailer for the midseason finale of The Flash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziaQdyrdEcs

Reverse Flash is genuinely disturbing. :suspense:

For some reason I'm pretty happy the guy from Conversations with my 3 Year Old seems to be making a TV career.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Terminator 3 is a serviceable retread of T2. It is largely inoffensive. Terminator Salvation is an entirely unmemorable, dreary, bland mess.

T3 at least held true to the concept of Terminators and Skynet being super efficient killing machines. That girl Terminator straight up punches through a dude's chest just to reach a steering wheel, the Salvation Terminator throws Christian Bale around a room for 5 minutes like they're doing a mano-a-mano fistfight. Let's not even get into the retarded plot of putting a heart inside a Terminator for no reason.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
T3 was inoffensive to me. It wasn't a good movie, but it has some fun silly parts and it didn't bore me. Salvation was complete trash.

This trailer makes this movie look worse than Salvation. First it looks practically like a reboot of the first movie, then it looks like the second movie, then it just goes completely off the rails in retarded fashion and they can't even get a new bad guy, it's just Asian Robert Patrick now. Nothing in that trailer looked interesting to me at all, and I will probably end up watching it on Netflix a year after it comes and goes in theaters with little fanfare.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Terminator 3 was fun as gently caress, you all can just talk to the hand. :nyd:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know why Jai Courtney keeps getting cast as male lead when the one thing he was really good in he was the sidekick.

Terminator Werner Herzog would be amazing.

T3 sucked, it poo poo all over t2's ending by saying "nope, can't change the future, get owned".

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 5, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
To be clear, when I say that I like the idea of "John Connor, leader of the resistance, is actually a reprogrammed T-1000 assigned to protect Connor who watched him die and realized that he actually was the legendary figure himself", I don't mean that I think Salvation would have been redeemed if it had kept this twist. I just mean that it's a twist worthy of a good Terminator movie, which Salvation wasn't and never was going to be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Salvation was at least nice enough to advertise really early on that it didn't understand why any of the movies work. The unkillable T-800 that was the baddie for the whole first movie gets caught in a noose and neutralised in a scene that lasted 3 minutes or so.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

You are not brought upon this world to get it!

Indeed!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Salvation was at least nice enough to advertise really early on that it didn't understand why any of the movies work. The unkillable T-800 that was the baddie for the whole first movie gets caught in a noose and neutralised in a scene that lasted 3 minutes or so.

That was the comparatively much less advanced t-600. :eng101:

It was still a lovely film.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Damo posted:

Seriously though how do you put both "Come with me if you want to live" and "I'll be back" into the trailer?

I mean, it's so forced and ham-fisted that they are even in the movie, but to then go and show them in the trailer is really dumb. At least they could have counted on them being a cool moment when you are hyped up in the cinema. Now everyone knows they are coming and it just seems stupid as hell.

I think it was the only way to get people to watch it man. I mean honestly, there hasn't really been anything good terminator related since T2. Might as well bank on the nostalgia.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jai Courtney was grown in a lab; created from the same Forgettable Everyman DNA that Sam Worthington was. He's not terrible, but he's not great. He just is.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Febreeze posted:

T3 was inoffensive to me. It wasn't a good movie, but it has some fun silly parts and it didn't bore me. Salvation was complete trash.

This trailer makes this movie look worse than Salvation. First it looks practically like a reboot of the first movie, then it looks like the second movie, then it just goes completely off the rails in retarded fashion and they can't even get a new bad guy, it's just Asian Robert Patrick now. Nothing in that trailer looked interesting to me at all, and I will probably end up watching it on Netflix a year after it comes and goes in theaters with little fanfare.

I tend to agree with the gist of this post. I mean, I love the Terminator franchise, and i'll probably go see this in the theater, but just not opening night. I can't imagine it'll be some sort of gigantic movie everyone is excited for and is counting down the days until it's release (akin to the crowds that'll gather in anticipation for Avengers 2 and Star Wars and maybe Furious 7). I just wish Fiedel was doing the music again. The "T-1000 chasing the car through the hospital parking deck" theme remains in heavy rotation on my running/cardio exercise playlist. That T2 soundtrack was rad as poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVTAe6bDCks

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

T3 at least held true to the concept of Terminators and Skynet being super efficient killing machines. That girl Terminator straight up punches through a dude's chest just to reach a steering wheel, the Salvation Terminator throws Christian Bale around a room for 5 minutes like they're doing a mano-a-mano fistfight. Let's not even get into the retarded plot of putting a heart inside a Terminator for no reason.

Yeah, it had that in its favor and they ended the movie with Skynet winning and nuking the world. I was sure they'd find a way to stave that off and change their fate with some kind of bullshit Hollywood ending. Nope, nuclear holocaust.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

I think "largely inoffensive" was the most that the studio could get out of their quote whores for Terminator 3...

The best thing I can say about Terminator 3 is that the car chase scene looked pretty good, even with CGI Arnold hanging off the truck a lot. None of the other action sequences really did anything for me.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Deakul posted:

Terminator 3 was fun as gently caress, you all can just talk to the hand. :nyd:

I adore Arnold approaching the stripper and bluntly saying "Take off your clothes. :geno:"

effectual posted:

Terminator Werner Herzog would be amazing.

T3 sucked, it poo poo all over t2's ending by saying "nope, can't change the future, get owned".

Every Terminator installment shits on the previous entry's concept of time.

-The Terminator is a closed loop with pre-destination paradoxes. In addition to Kyle Reese being John Connor's father, in the original script the terminator would search for Sarah Connor by scanning her leg because it should be broken, but it isn't; it's broken in the climax.
-Terminator 2 says the future can be changed, "no fate" etc.
-Terminator 3 says that that there can be alterations but the universe tries to course correct itself.
-The Sarah Connor Chronicles has alternate timelines.

Back to the Future is literally more consistant.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Gonz posted:

Jai Courtney was grown in a lab; created from the same Forgettable Everyman DNA that Sam Worthington was. He's not terrible, but he's not great. He just is.

Jai Courteney is proof that we still haven't learned our lesson about making a clone of a clone, even after the cautionary tale called Multiplicity.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Gonz posted:

Jai Courtney was loving awesome in Spartacus.

Sadly he hasn't been as good anywhere else yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AFewBricksShy posted:

Jai Courtney was loving awesome in Spartacus.

Sadly he hasn't been as good anywhere else yet.

Probably helped that he actually was best friends with the guy who his character was best friends with on the show.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Surprised to see so much hate for the trailer. The best thing I can say about is it changed my expectation of the film from "bad bad" to "good bad"

Ditto. It's looks leaps and bounds better than what I would've expected after those terrible press photos.

Although, I have to laugh at how much they keep dialing up the facial scarring on future-version John Conner. It went from a noticeable eye scar in T2 to somewhat overblown scarring in T3 & T4 and now it's just laughable. If they make another one after this I half expect them to just have half his face ripped off by a T-800.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Gonz posted:

Oh no, no. He is, in fact, terrible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, it had that in its favor and they ended the movie with Skynet winning and nuking the world. I was sure they'd find a way to stave that off and change their fate with some kind of bullshit Hollywood ending. Nope, nuclear holocaust.

Yeah, I saw that and was amazed and impressed that they had the balls to do it. They also had John Connor as severely hosed up by his childhood. It was definitely the weakest of the trilogy, but it stands up as a movie.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dT0mrKzObw

After years in Post-Prod Hell, "The Last 5 Years", a movie-musical adaptation of Jason Robert Brown's stage musical about his failed marriage, is finally coming out. Starring Anna Kendrick.

Looks good to me. :shrug:

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SvZfGSW_o The Walk

Robert Zemeckis' new film with JGL. Is it just me or does everything (obviously) in this look CGI'd, Gordon-Levitt included? It might be the contacts but knowing Zemeckis' past, JGL looks really weird and with everything having that glossy digital look, it's just weird.
I'm sure it'll be really tense with the 3D though.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
"FORREST GUMP"

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kush posted:

Robert Zemeckis' new film with JGL. Is it just me or does everything (obviously) in this look CGI'd, Gordon-Levitt included? It might be the contacts but knowing Zemeckis' past, JGL looks really weird and with everything having that glossy digital look, it's just weird.

His skin has that flawless, glowy video game character shine to it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kush posted:

This summer
One man
Balances on one leg on a girder.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Kush posted:

Bad trailer CG aside, if you know JGL's face then the blue contact lenses just look drat weird. The hair colour also pops out far too much because of the red/orange/blue colour correction.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Man on Wire was good enough that this feels really unnecessary.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, make a fiction version of a critically acclaimed documentary with a 100% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That seems like a good idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_Wire

e:f,b

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Kush posted:

Wait, this is a remake of the Man on Wire documentary?

morestuff posted:

Man on Wire was good enough that this feels really unnecessary.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess no one saw that.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
That had to be entirely CGI (hint: always watch the hands), but man, they did a great job with JGL's likeness.

Hat Thoughts posted:

"FORREST GUMP"

what's the problem here

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kush posted:

No matter how good this is, I can't see it because I"m afraid of heights.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LaughMyselfTo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dT0mrKzObw

After years in Post-Prod Hell, "The Last 5 Years", a movie-musical adaptation of Jason Robert Brown's stage musical about his failed marriage, is finally coming out. Starring Anna Kendrick.

Looks good to me. :shrug:

They filmed this over this past summer. Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan were cast in February. You have a weird definition of "years".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

That had to be entirely CGI (hint: always watch the hands), but man, they did a great job with JGL's likeness.

Yeah, the last shot with the zoom out looks like all CG, but the rest could just be done by adding in backgrounds. And those are some lovely backgrounds.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JGL definitely looks off somehow.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He looks like a sickly Mark Wahlberg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He looks like he's wearing a JGL mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Is Anna Kendrick good in End of Watch, because I was looking through her filmography and realized I haven't liked her in anything I've seen.

• Locked thread