Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This coming from the same person who has repeatedly defended prison sentences for non-violent drug offenders in this very thread?

Diversionary programs are prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

anonumos posted:

That is a topic that is far bigger than "we side with the criminal". You're brushing aside many issues to reduce your debate opponents' arguments into absurdity.

and the implication that I "rejoice" in "separating families" was what? Valid debate?

Sorry if I don't feel compelled to engage in serious discussion after comments like that.

Oh. Wait. No I'm not.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

yes, that's exactly right.

You know, it takes a particularly warped view of the world to see a prosecutor as the monster and a convicted murderer or pederast as the victim.

:allears:

Tell me more about how the actions of prosecutors are implicitly justified by the crimes of the accused.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Lol at middle class white dnd posters not understanding that strong property rights are needed for society to function. Yes if someone steals your tv you can just have daddy buy you a new one no big deal. That store owner absolutely can't have people shoplifting without consequence. First his insurance will go up to the point of being unaffordable if he keeps filing claims. Second there are people who will rob him blind and not give a poo poo about a summons in the mail. Third even if the perp is caught, the property may never be recovered. Most stores have tight margins and can't obsorb that cost.

Hi, I literally grew up with drug dealer neighbors, in neighborhoods where every business and home had bars on their windows.

Property is not something worth any form brutality, and it's frankly terrifying that so many Americans don't see it that way. Stop conflating that with wanting the police to do nothing. Police regularly use as much force as they can to bully someone into submission, it frequently kills people, and it's not okay.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

ActusRhesus posted:

I seem to recall saying that for most simple possession cases, diversionary programs were more appropriate than incarceration. I also seem to recall stating repeatedly that I was not opposed to legalization of most narcotics.

But by all means, argue against the point you wish I had made, not the point I actually made...

Why bother punishing them at all? Do you think drug prohibition is effective at reducing use?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

amanasleep posted:

:allears:

Tell me more about how the actions of prosecutors are implicitly justified by the crimes of the accused.

Except I didn't say that. But nice try. Misconduct is misconduct, and it needs to be dealt with. Nothing the defendant did justifies prosecutorial misconduct. But trying to guilt me for "separating families before the holidays"? Let's see...my last decision came out yesterday. It involved a grandfather who raped his 6 and 8 year old granddaughters. I don't feel guilty at all that he's not with his family this Christmas.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Why bother punishing them at all? Do you think drug prohibition is effective at reducing use?

not really, no. Which is why I have said...repeatedly...that I don't oppose legalization of most narcotics.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

I seem to recall saying that for most simple possession cases, diversionary programs were more appropriate than incarceration. I also seem to recall stating repeatedly that I was not opposed to legalization of most narcotics.

But by all means, argue against the point you wish I had made, not the point I actually made...

Stop being so loving disingenuous. I clearly said "non-violent drug offenders", not "simple possession cases".

Dance around it all you want, but you were explicitly arguing for imprisoning non-violent drug offenders earlier in the thread.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 9, 2014

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Ok but if you are a target, you just give up the goods and walk away right. It's the money they want.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Correct, and people who professionally transport valuables are taught exactly that. The gun is because their physical safety is more likely to be threatened as a result of carrying valuables, not to protect the valuables.
It's as though a person who has already aggressively demonstrated their disregard for society's laws and norms shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt and be treated as a rational actor who has decided on a list of crimes they are willing or unwilling to commit.

Plainly: people who transport jewels carry guns because there is no reason to believe a jewel thief or burglar won't step up to killing witnesses.

Pomp posted:

Property is not something worth any form brutality, and it's frankly terrifying that so many Americans don't see it that way.
So if someone kicked in your front door while you were home, grabbed your computer, and started walking off with it, you would just let them take it? If a police officer happened to be passing by, you would not want them to use any sort of force to stop that person?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Stop being so loving disingenuous. I clearly said "non-violent drug offenders", not "simple possession cases".

Dance around it all you want, but you were explicitly arguing for imprisoning non-violent drug offenders earlier in the thread.

Pretty sure you're the one being disingenuous. Your statement suggested I supported prison time for "non-violent" offenders as a complete category. It's been stated, repeatedly, that this is not the case.

(You're also the one who argued that drug dealers are non-violent and therefore do not warrant punishment, but Enron were violent because they tangentially resulted in people's death due to loss of electricity. I think that's pretty logically inconsistent and disingenuous...but that's just me. I, on the other hand, support punitive action against both the drug dealer AND the white collar crook. A much more consistent position.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

So if someone kicked in your front door while you were home, grabbed your computer, and started walking off with it, you would just let them take it? If a police officer happened to be passing by, you would not want them to use any sort of force to stop that person?

I would, yeah, because gently caress if I'm going to risk escalating the situation and putting myself in harms way for a loving thing. Hell, even if I had a gun I wouldn't risk killing the thief for stealing a computer. I guess I'm not callous enough to think that my computer is worth risking someone's life over, even if they're a criminal.

As for a cop walking by, I'd be pretty happy if they were able to stop the theft and arrest the criminal using appropriate force but if I knew the cop couldn't do that and would probably kill the criminal, gently caress it, let him take it. It's a thing, not worth taking a life over.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

unfortunately, it's not unheard of for someone who has decided to violate a person's property rights to also decide to...you know...kill them. Even when they don't resist.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

So if someone kicked in your front door while you were home, grabbed your computer, and started walking off with it, you would just let them take it?

If a dude kicks in my door he can take anything he wants. I'm not escalating the situation because neither my life nor theirs are worth escalating to force.

quote:

If a police officer happened to be passing by, you would not want them to use any sort of force to stop that person?

:cripes:

Pomp posted:

Stop conflating that with wanting the police to do nothing. Police regularly use as much force as they can to bully someone into submission, it frequently kills people, and it's not okay.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, you don't want to be shooting at people who break into your house...they could be cops.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

yes, that's exactly right.

You know, it takes a particularly warped view of the world to see a prosecutor as the monster and a convicted murderer or pederast as the victim.

Of course a pedophile is your goto.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, you don't want to be shooting at people who break into your house...they could be cops.

There's also unironically this.

Hell, in my neighborhoods growing up they'd might just keep the computer indefinitely as "evidence."

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Pretty sure you're the one being disingenuous. Your statement suggested I supported prison time for "non-violent" offenders as a complete category. It's been stated, repeatedly, that this is not the case.

No, every time someone mentions drug crimes you respond with qualifying statements about "first-time offenders" and "simple possession". If you do not support imprisoning people for non-violent drug offenses, full stop, why are you using these qualifying statements every time the topic comes up?

And here is you explicitly calling for punishing non-violent drug offenders:

ActusRhesus posted:

I buy that argument for the possession case, because I have sympathy for people with substance abuse issues and agree they are people we should be looking to rehabilitate. Not so much the dealer. If you make the decision to profit from illegal activity, then yeah...there are going to be consequences for that.

-----

ActusRhesus posted:

(You're also the one who argued that drug dealers are non-violent and therefore do not warrant punishment, but Enron were violent because they tangentially resulted in people's death due to loss of electricity. I think that's pretty logically inconsistent and disingenuous...but that's just me. I, on the other hand, support punitive action against both the drug dealer AND the white collar crook. A much more consistent position.)

Yeah, I'm going to ask you to quote that because I said nothing even remotely similar to that. My argument was that Enron was handled more or less appropriately - the organization was dissolved, top executives were sent to prison for a reasonable amount of time in relatively humane conditions, and most of the low- and mid-level employees involved in the fraud were not punished beyond losing their jobs. If this strategy was applied to drug criminals, we wouldn't be having this discussion - instead cops and prosecutors spend an enormous amount of time and resources on low- and mid-level dealers. You really wouldn't even need any drug crimes on the books, someone running a large illegal enterprise could easily be charged with fraud and tax evasion.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in prison for drug crimes. Granted you're in a very limited position of power, but if your position is so "consistent", how many of the white-collar criminals who precipitated the most recent global financial crisis via criminal fraud are currently sitting in prison for decades? You people can't even put away Angelo Mozilo, and we're supposed to have an even-handed discussion about how some low-level drug dealer deserves consequences?

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 9, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

Diversionary programs are prison?

Whine more in QCS about it.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, I'm going to ask you to quote that because I said nothing even remotely similar to that. My argument was that Enron was handled more or less appropriately - the organization was dissolved, top executives were sent to prison for a reasonable amount of time in relatively humane conditions, and most of the low- and mid-level employees involved in the fraud were not punished beyond losing their jobs. If this strategy was applied to drug criminals, we wouldn't be having this discussion - instead cops and prosecutors spend an enormous amount of time and resources on low- and mid-level dealers. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in prison for drug crimes.

So you agree some non-violent offenders do warrant punishment.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Of course a pedophile is your goto.

well, those are the cases I deal in....so since your comment was directed at me personally, and the glee I feel in "breaking up families" it's not inappropriate.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

So you agree some non-violent offenders do warrant punishment.

Yes, the executive leadership of large-scale illegal enterprises should face criminal charges.

Do you agree that some non-violent offenders do not warrant punishment? Do you care to comment on why the practical threshold for punishing non-violent offenders (and especially minorities) for drug crimes is so much lower than for other non-violent crime?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pomp posted:

If a dude kicks in my door he can take anything he wants. I'm not escalating the situation because neither my life nor theirs are worth escalating to force.

I don't understand your position. You wouldn't stop a burglary, but you're ok with the cops stopping it, as long as they never use force? What sort of loving burglar do you think gives stuff back when asked politely?

So let's say the dude walks out with your computer... and comes back the next night for your microwave. Will you stop him then? What if he just decided to crash on your couch one night and eat the food out of your fridge? At what point are you OK with the police using force to remove this intruder, since you won't get your hands dirty over "property"?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Do you agree that some non-violent offenders do not warrant punishment?"

Depends on the offense and depends on how you define "punishment."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't understand your position. You wouldn't stop a burglary, but you're ok with the cops stopping it, as long as they never use force? What sort of loving burglar do you think gives stuff back when asked politely?

So let's say the dude walks out with your computer... and comes back the next night for your microwave. Will you stop him then? What if he just decided to crash on your couch one night and eat the food out of your fridge? At what point are you OK with the police using force to remove this intruder, since you won't get your hands dirty over "property"?

You can't separate "force" from "excessive force" can you?

"Cops shouldn't endanger someones life over property."

"Well what if a rando crashed on your couch or ate your food? :smug:"

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Dead Reckoning posted:

Plainly: people who transport jewels carry guns because there is no reason to believe a jewel thief or burglar won't step up to killing witnesses.

Yes there is.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

"Do you agree that some non-violent offenders do not warrant punishment?"

Depends on the offense and depends on how you define "punishment."

I guess you're going to be a pedant-
"Do you agree that some low-level non-violent offenders do not warrant imprisonment and felony convictions, and that the focus should be on dismantling the organization they are a part of and punishing its leadership?"

And again-

Do you care to comment on why the practical threshold for punishing non-violent offenders (and especially minorities) for drug crimes is so much lower than for other non-violent crime?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

Whine more in QCS about it.

If you tell me what it is, sure

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pomp posted:

You can't separate "force" from "excessive force" can you?

"Cops shouldn't endanger someones life over property."

"Well what if a rando crashed on your couch or ate your food? :smug:"
You said you wouldn't stop a guy from walking off with your property. How far does your moral superiority extend? When he's pulling the copper out of the walls? Where do you, personally, draw the line on this moral stance you've taken?

Your exact words were

Pomp posted:

Property is not something worth any form brutality
so I'm trying to figure out where the line is between the often severe violence required to stop or apprehend someone who really doesn't want to be stopped or apprehended, and this "brutality" you detest so much.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I guess you're going to be a pedant-
"Do you agree that some low-level non-violent offenders do not warrant imprisonment and felony convictions, and that the focus should be on dismantling the organization they are a part of and punishing its leadership?"

And again-

Do you care to comment on why the practical threshold for punishing non-violent offenders (and especially minorities) for drug crimes is so much lower than for other non-violent crime?

1. Yes. Which is why they a. aren't all felonies and b. often result in diversionary programs. Pretty sure I already said all this.

2. Logical fallacy of begging the question.

If you're going to accuse me of being a pedant, maybe you could be a little more clear in your communication.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I think right-minded people don't expect the cops to either of the following:
1) shoot on sight;
2) grapple the burglar and sit on his chest until he stops breathing

It's one thing if they have to use a take-down to bring someone into custody, but a whole other matter if they wind up pumping 10 rounds into an unarmed "suspect" because his blackness is scary.

quote:

This is absurd. The way cops have been going about it lately is that they escalate a situation to the point where they have to use deadly force. And this isn't even lately, we're just seeing better documentation of it. In the incidences that have spawned recent protests, the OFFICERS escalate, not the suspect.

Take the homeless dude in New Mexico as an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EduzwLhndIM

Yeh his verbiage was confrontational but he was agreeing to comply. The situation was de-escalating. Then, for no real reason, one officer says "Do it" and another fires a flash bang at him. The officers turned a standoff that was winding down nicely into a full out execution. Yeh, "he had a knife this" and "he had a knife that", but the situation was well in hand until they attacked. It's also a testament to the mistrust that people have of cops (especially those living like this man was) that the confrontation was as tricky as it was. His mistrust was quickly confirmed when they resorted to a flash bang (and the subsequent execution). Policing should be done differently.

In Eric Garner's case, they didn't need to take him down that way. The officers in that case simply decided to try to overpower him, without regard to his safety or the "rightness" of their actions. They just took him out.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

You said you wouldn't stop a guy from walking off with your property. How far does your moral superiority extend? When he's pulling the copper out of the walls? Where do you, personally, draw the line on this moral stance you've taken?

Your exact words were

so I'm trying to figure out where the line is between the often severe violence required to stop or apprehend someone who really doesn't want to be stopped or apprehended, and this "brutality" you detest so much.

Just because it's the only thing american police are trained to do doesn't mean it's required.

Also, not killing or brutalizing people over objects = moral superiority :laffo:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It might just be me, but it seems like it's a really bad idea to rely on a burglar's good will to avoid him hurting you.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pomp posted:

Just because it's the only thing american police are trained to do doesn't mean it's required.

Also, not killing or brutalizing people over objects = moral superiority :laffo:

Well brutality implies that its excessive and cruel so its loving useless, of course if its excessive then its wrong, its like saying "killing is wrong when its murder"

Or should I just assume you're being a poo poo and using the word brutality when you mean violence so you can use loaded language.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

1. Yes. Which is why they a. aren't all felonies and b. often result in diversionary programs. Pretty sure I already said all this.

2. Logical fallacy of begging the question.

If you're going to accuse me of being a pedant, maybe you could be a little more clear in your communication.

1. There are literally over 300,000 people in prison for drug crimes. Whatever diversionary programs exist, it is clear that large numbers of people, far beyond the executive leadership of these organizations, are not being offered that opportunity.

2. Are you sure you know what begging the question even means? There are literally over 300,000 people in prison for drug crimes. It is not begging the question to ask why low-level drug offenders are disproportionately punished compared to other non-violent criminals when all available data make it clear as day.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

ActusRhesus posted:

well, those are the cases I deal in....so since your comment was directed at me personally, and the glee I feel in "breaking up families" it's not inappropriate.

So it's the kids fault for not saying "no", just like it's the homeowner's fault for having such nice things. Don't you get it? Every criminal is a special little flower and that requires you to let them keep breaking the law and having all of lifes comforts while denying their victims the same rights. Think that's what they've settled on. I mean how can you refute that Gen Ed Sociology 101 logic. Time to move on to drug talk again oh wait.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

slogsdon posted:

Yes there is.

Just give them what they want, everything will be fine.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Armed robbers arm themselves because they are willing to use force to further their robbery!?

Quelle surprise!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

1. There are literally over 300,000 people in prison for drug crimes. Whatever diversionary programs exist, it is clear that large numbers of people, far beyond the executive leadership of these organizations, are not being offered that opportunity.

2. Are you sure you know what begging the question even means? There are literally over 300,000 people in prison for drug crimes. It is not begging the question to ask why low-level drug offenders are disproportionately punished compared to other non-violent criminals when all available data make it clear as day.

It's begging the question because the way you phrased your question presumes some sort of malicious scheme and conscious racism as opposed to other possibilities...like financial crimes being a lot harder to prove.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

Every facet of our judicial system is racist and full of inequality, from the police to the prosecutors to the judges to the prison guards to the executioners. In addition - our judicial system does a bad job of protecting us. Our current methods of dealing with criminals are terrible, and directly lead to high rates of recidivism. A desire to improve that does not equate to a lack of willingness to defend yourself, nor does it come out of some fox news strawman about sissy liberals who went to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wow, it's almost like I said property is not worth endangering my own life over too.

Pomp posted:

Stop conflating that with wanting the police to do nothing.

• Locked thread