Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the replies, thinking of snagging a delay/reverb or fuzz in the next couple of weeks. I'm excited to try it on the 'brute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

A MIRACLE posted:

Why hate on the TB-3? It looks like it has a decent / similar sequencer style. But yeah I decided I needed a 303-alike after playing with the software one on http://www.audiotool.com/ for like 3 hours without realizing it. The thing is mezmerizing

Well for one, it doesn't faithfully recreate a lot of the sound of the 303 at things like extreme high resonance, repeated accents, and other little quirks. Secondly, it doesn't have a loving envelop mod or decay knob, which is insane. The stupid touch pad thing is not a replacement. I mean, Acid is at its core like an aural fetish for the very specific quirks of that vintage Roland gear, so it's really really important, if you want to make it, to get a very, very specific sound, no compromises. Even the x0x is actually pretty meh at it. That said if you like groovin to the loopy loops, have fun with the TB-3 or the audiotools emulation etc.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The TB-3 stands out as an excellent acid box as long as you're not trying to make it be a TB-303. I mean, it'll definitely pull off TB-303 for a lot of sounds but if you're some kind of synth dork who spends your days A/Bing a TB-303 and other synths or if it's pushed to its maximum limit and you are really really familiar with the TB-303 then it'll sound different. That's just the A bank though, and even some of those sound really really good. Dig into the B and C banks and you've got a 303 sequencer tied to some really vicious sounds that would be impossible with the original 303. It's also ridiculously nice to program. Don't poo poo on the TB-3 just because it's not a 303. for 95% of people the sound is "good enough" and the depth of the little ugly box is huge in comparison to any other 303 wannabe, and some of the sounds are much more usable for "modern" sounding dance music as opposed to 909+707+303 acid.

A MIRACLE, you should strongly consider the TB-3 if you want an acid box. The computer integration alone is a compelling reason plus how much less fragile it feels than most of the 303 clones (or the real thing) and the fact that you can push the box in directions you can't push the analogue versions. Also, 300 is a decent new price so you'd pay less than any of the alternatives if you aim for a used one. Yes, it's not a perfect sound, but don't let that distract you from what it does really well.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yes, like I said, if you want to make Acid, go elsewhere, if you want a little bass synth with a simple sequencer that ties in well with a computer to do loopy jams, I'm sure its fine.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Is it just me, or is there a very narrow range on the filter of a Volca Bass where it sounds at all acidy? It's like it's only slightly resonant or totally squeaky, with very little room in between. Every TB-303 recording i've heard seems a lot more expressive.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well I don't have a computer but that is a nice sentiment. I run us through a Tascam DP-24.

The TB-3 wouldn't be just for extended acid solo jamz, we're also starting a throwback live format hip hop project. Think Zapp and Roger, Mantronix stuff like that. I've been asked to run the decks (2xLP120's and a DJ tools scratch mixer). I have a TR-8 and I've been super super happy with it, sounds great on big sound systems too. Which is kinda why I was leaning on the Aira line more.

Speaking of Z&R has anyone tried the vocoder on the VT-3? I already have a EHX Voice Box which is great.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

If you wanna do Zapp & Roger, you want a talk box, not a vocoder http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-A-Talkbox/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I'm sure I posted this before but it can't be viewed often enough. Z&R on BET. Wish there was a better copy but if it was ever on umatic the tapes are probably long since wiped/destroyed. I want an assault rifle guitar.

KDJ-ONE is back again, this time with a Kickstarter. Specs are pretty disappointing but it might be interesting, especially if some third party software gets developed.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I played with the VT-3 in a store and thought it worked very well but in general I dislike vocoders so I don't have a strong opinion on it.

toadee posted:

Yes, like I said, if you want to make Acid, go elsewhere, if you want a little bass synth with a simple sequencer that ties in well with a computer to do loopy jams, I'm sure its fine.

It's loving fantastic for acid what are/aren't you smoking?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

...speaking of 303 fetishisation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE5kOjMEQqc

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

It's loving fantastic for acid what are/aren't you smoking?

Acid is very specifically the sound that came from the Chicago House scene in the late 80s and derivatives thereof. It is at it's fundamental core, the Roland sound, period. The continuation of Acid as a genre today is a direct result of the continued devotion to that specific timbre as a basis for the music. I know people want to claim that any bass synth line with a LPF kicked near self-oscillation is 'an Acid line' or 'the Acid part', but when I say "you want to do Acid?" I am not talking about that sort of thing. I am very specifically stating a genre or sub-genre of dance music directly related to the late 80s Chicago sound and nothing else.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If you really care about acid and it's legacy, don't make it, it all has been done already.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
God I hate the 303 and every little detail around it, its cult and its followers.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

New devices can not imitate the 303's blep, and instead usually produce a sluggish bleep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now let me tell you about actual Rock'n'roll :goonsay:

e: This quote is quite wonderfully on point, though

Sjoewe posted:

If you really care about acid and it's legacy, don't make it, it all has been done already.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

It's not just the 303, it's the 101 and 202 as well, and of course the drum machines, mainly 909 and some 809 and 707, even some 606. It doesn't mean that any other music is bad or anything, just Acid as a genre is based on the purity of that timbre, so doing it with a tb-3 or vst or something is just pale in comparison is all.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

toadee posted:

the purity of that timbre

Lmao you're hilarious

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my timbres are double filtered for maximum purity

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

toadee posted:

It's not just the 303, it's the 101 and 202 as well, and of course the drum machines, mainly 909 and some 809 and 707, even some 606. It doesn't mean that any other music is bad or anything, just Acid as a genre is based on the purity of that timbre, so doing it with a tb-3 or vst or something is just pale in comparison is all.

Isn't that a bit of an anachronistic claim to make? I mean, if anything, the birth of acid pretty much boils down to some Chicago ghetto kids getting their hands on the cheapest synths available at that time and some shady guys at Trax Records that understood that they could earn big by tricking everyone into signing aways the rights to their music for a fistful of dollars.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Haha ok whatever, every artist we revere is a much or more of a snob about such things. Electronic music is general is more focused on it because selection of timbre is one of the major points that defines our music and differentiates it.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Sjoewe posted:

Isn't that a bit of an anachronistic claim to make? I mean, if anything, the birth of acid pretty much boils down to some Chicago ghetto kids getting their hands on the cheapest synths available at that time and some shady guys at Trax Records that understood that they could earn big by tricking everyone into signing aways the rights to their music for a fistful of dollars.

Anachronistic? I guess? It's just the truth. Acid is defined by that sound. I'm not even saying synths like the tb-3 are worthless. I'm saying if you want to make acid, a genre literally defined by a specific sound, things like it are pale comparisons to the real thing. So if you know you want to make acid, just get the boxes that make Acid and get on with it.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
This is the most autistic level of fetishization I've heard about in a long time.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Yah welcome to music production. Like I said the artists you revere are twice as particular about every aspect. People like Aphex or BoC or Daft Punk or whoever go on and on about this poo poo. This isn't even a weird thing. If you want to be a chamber musician you're going to buy a violin or viola or cello. If you're going to be a Jazz guitarist you but a loving guitar, and a pretty particular one at that. If you're going to make Acid, you buy old Roland synths because they are what make Acid, period.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Pretty sure poo poo that sounds like acid is acid.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

And hilariously, that's also what I am saying.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
nah thats post-acid

speaking of i really still like sony acid

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

pfs Write posted:

nah thats post-acid

speaking of i really still like sony acid

Seriously Acid is the music program that hurt most to lose in my PC -> Mac migration.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

toadee posted:

And hilariously, that's also what I am saying.

99% of people couldn't tell a 303 apart from a TB-3 or Phoscyon or a sequenced Moog with a touch of distortion.

Or someone going "bow wowow woweeewow"

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 10, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

99% of people couldn't tell a 303 apart from a TB-3 or Phoscyon or a sequenced Moog with a touch of distortion.

Try us. You own a TB-303 even! Why did you buy a TB-303 if it doesn't matter?

Also I bought a Monomachine yesterday :captainpop:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

And most people couldn't tell the difference between a Vivaldi violin concerto and a Bach quartet. Does that mean we should stop
Differentiating them? Hell most people can't tell the difference between a violin and a viola playing the same notes. Guess you should just pick up whichever of those you want, no real difference right?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

If you really care about [any genre] and it's legacy, don't make it, it all has been done already.

Fixed that for you, but I agree. I'd add: Make your own drat music, because that's more interesting.

edit: If you can say "I'm making an acid track" or "My new album is a trance album" you have a problem :)

edit2: That problem is that whatever you're making is probably not very interesting

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 10, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Fixed that for you, but I agree. I'd add: Make your own drat music, because that's more interesting.

edit: If you can say "I'm making an acid track" or "My new album is a trance album" you have a problem :)

I totally disagree. You would really disregard anyone writing Jazz? Chamber music? Rock? Expressing yourself through the lens of an established genre isn't expressing yourself any less.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

bow bowbowbow bowbowBEWBEW

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The violin/viola comparison is dumb, it's closer to differentiating violin brands in classical orchestras.

BKPR posted:

bow bowbowbow bowbowBEWBEW

Sick acid line bro.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Real talk my mom heard a track with a 303 in my car and thought that it was a barking dog sample

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

toadee posted:

And most people couldn't tell the difference between a Vivaldi violin concerto and a Bach quartet. Does that mean we should stop
Differentiating them?

Yes :3:

That example is stupid as hell since we're dealing with acoustics instead of electronics, but honestly; if you can't hear the difference there is no difference except the sociopolitical one.

e: Like, to clarify; this is audiophile territory. The difference in electronics between each individual 303 is the same as the difference between a 303 and certain clones. The components that make up the machine is so well-known that there is no sleight of hand involved, no luthier skills passed down through the ages, no uncertainty of what goes where. It's very simple.

With an acoustic instrument, you can get audible differences depending on the type of wood, the thickness, the shape; but with an electronic instrument it's all down to the components. Same components, same sound. There is some variance between the components, but that will be true whether you call it a 303 or a x0x, or whatever.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 10, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

And I'm saying you can hear a difference. Jesus just go try to remake something. Do 'Box Energy' on a TB-3 and report back. Or Universal Indicator Blue A1. You just can't even make the same sound, and the sound is central to the genre.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

toadee posted:

I totally disagree. You would really disregard anyone writing Jazz? Chamber music? Rock? Expressing yourself through the lens of an established genre isn't expressing yourself any less.

Yeah, that was a pretty black-and-white statement, sorry. Depends on what the person wants to do, of course, and what their mentality is when doing it. Being influenced by something is fine, because that's unavoidable. However, if your expressing yourself means you only ever make generic rock songs that sound exactly like what a trillion other rock songs sound like, maybe that "yourself" isn't all that unique or interesting.

edit: It's just a really weird mindset to me. "I want to express myself, ergo I will attempt to make something that sounds exactly like something someone else has already made"

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 10, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

toadee posted:

And I'm saying you can hear a difference. Jesus just go try to remake something. Do 'Box Energy' on a TB-3 and report back. Or Universal Indicator Blue A1. You just can't even make the same sound, and the sound is central to the genre.

This is really dumb because it assumes a genre is locked into preexisting defined songs and not certain common elements.

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

This is really dumb because it assumes a genre is locked into preexisting defined and not certain common elements.

Which is kind of hilarious when you think about it. "No no, it has to have exactly these instruments to be X genre", "wait, it also needs this bassline" "and you need this specific beat" and suddenly you have one single song defining the entire genre and everything deviating from that song is "wrong". Guess what, it's not a genre, it's a song.

I admit I'm not an expert on acid, but wouldn't the recording equipment, pedals/effects, etc. affect the sound just as much or even more than the difference in 303 vs. clone do?