Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
This would be a great point, if I had said "I think the way American police use force right now is really good and cool."

Pomp and Taeke have both taken the position that using violence to defend or recover property is immoral, which is the incredibly stupid argument I am addressing. I believe the use of force in defense of property is moral, and also that some instances of force are excessive and immoral.

Pomp posted:

Just because it's the only thing american police are trained to do doesn't mean it's required.

Also, not killing or brutalizing people over objects = moral superiority :laffo:
You didn't answer the question. How much property is one person allowed to take from another before it becomes moral to use force to stop them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

This would be a great point, if I had said "I think the way American police use force right now is really good and cool."

Pomp and Taeke have both taken the position that using violence to defend or recover property is immoral, which is the incredibly stupid argument I am addressing. I believe the use of force in defense of property is moral, and also that some instances of force are excessive and immoral.
You didn't answer the question. How much property is one person allowed to take from another before it becomes moral to use force to stop them?

Not only have I answered that over and over again, you've actually answered my own question over and over again that you can't tell the difference between "I don't think the police should use force" and "I don't think the police should use excessive force."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Armed robbers arm themselves because they are willing to use force to further their robbery!?

Quelle surprise!

If only that baby had just given them his money.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you think that story is proof on why you should argue and fight with robbers you need to read it again. It's terrible, and I don't blame the woman for what happened, but that story doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pomp posted:

Not only have I answered that over and over again, you've actually answered my own question over and over again that you can't tell the difference between "I don't think the police should use force" and "I don't think the police should use excessive force."

Why is it moral for the police to use force to defend property but not the owner of the property?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jarmak posted:

Why is it moral for the police to use force to defend property but not the owner of the property?

Because they are highly trained and held to the highest of standards of conduct.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You keep escalating this conversation to more and more absurd poo poo and completely dodging the point. Life isn't a horror movie, robbers aren't there to kill you, escalating the situation is not in you or your family's best interest. Just give them the poo poo. No police force in the world will tell you otherwise. It's not just a moral thing you massive idiot.

The only reason extreme violence is "needed" to apprehend non-violent or unarmed suspects is because police are trained that way.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
If I call the cops on someone for stealing from me I would hope they would use the minimum force necessary to apprehend the guy. But more and more of what I see in the news makes me think that calling the cops on someone is a death sentance. On top of that they stand a good chance of being sent to prison and prisons in the US are basically torture/rape pits. Can anyone here really say that a burglar or shoplifter deserves the violence inflicted on them in the US prison system? Can you really say, knowing the sorts of things that might await them, that it is moral for you to send them there or to call the cops knowing that they might just roll up and shoot them to death? If you know these things can happen as a result of your actions you can't just go "not my problem", you had a hand in what happened whether you like it or not.

I'm not sure what can be done in this country anymore, the whole situation is untenable and I don't think there is any solution, let alone a solution with the slightest chance of ever being implemented. :smith:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Pomp posted:

Not only have I answered that over and over again, you've actually answered my own question over and over agforce hat you can't tell the difference between "I don't think the police should use force" and "I don't think the police should use excessive force."

So if someone is stealing a TV, how much force is excessive? Can the police bring him down in a manner that has a 50% chance of breaking his leg?

"I'm only opposed to force when it's excessive" is an empty statement; unless you define excessive, you're really saying "I only agree with force when it's convenient for my argument."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Pomp posted:

You keep escalating this conversation to more and more absurd poo poo and completely dodging the point. Life isn't a horror movie, robbers aren't there to kill you, escalating the situation is not in you or your family's best interest. Just give them the poo poo. No police force in the world will tell you otherwise. The only reason extreme violence is "needed" to apprehend non-violent or unarmed suspects is because police are trained that way.

Actually, home invasion robberies where the victims are home often end in death. The robber who isn't interested in potential harm breaks in when no one is home.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Because they are highly trained and held to the highest of standards of conduct.

I'm guessing this is intended as a joke, but in case it isn't thats a functional argument not a moral one.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ActusRhesus posted:

Actually, home invasion robberies where the victims are home often end in death. The robber who isn't interested in potential harm breaks in when no one is home.

Gonna need a source on that that's not someone trying to sell me a security system.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pomp posted:

Gonna need a source on that that's not someone trying to sell me a security system.
You sounded so certain in your post though, surely you have a source that supports your argument and debunks his.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

ActusRhesus posted:

Often? While it's certainly more likely given the brazen nature of it, I'd be curious to see what statistics back up 'often'.

I say this as someone who experienced a home invasion robbery and recovered the stolen item from the perpetrator without a weapon, violence, or threats. Hell, once I caught up to him he even apologized while returning it. The guy was simply an opportunist thinking he had an easy score, people home or not. While that's likely not representative of the majority of home invasion robberies, I do question that they 'often' result in death. Unless it's Texas.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

It's begging the question because the way you phrased your question presumes some sort of malicious scheme and conscious racism as opposed to other possibilities...like financial crimes being a lot harder to prove.

If I'm reading this correctly, doing the job even-handedly is difficult so instead prosecutors take the easy way out and imprison hundreds of thousands of drug offenders? And the result is grossly disparate, racist, and harmful to society at large, but at least (most) of the people involved aren't doing it maliciously?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

hobotrashcanfires posted:

Often? While it's certainly more likely given the brazen nature of it, I'd be curious to see what statistics back up 'often'.

I say this as someone who experienced a home invasion robbery and recovered the stolen item from the perpetrator without a weapon, violence, or threats. Hell, once I caught up to him he even apologized while returning it. The guy was simply an opportunist thinking he had an easy score, people home or not. While that's likely not representative of the majority of home invasion robberies, I do question that they 'often' result in death. Unless it's Texas.
Wait. A dude came into your home while you were there, took your poo poo, left, and then you chased him down and politely asked for it back and he returned the item and apologized?

How high was he? How high were you?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

While interesting, you'd need to separate the home invasions where the victims attempted to resist and when they didn't to draw any meaningful conclusions from this. You could easily end up supporting his/her argument with the little factoid too. Also, you'd need to define "often."

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You sounded so certain in your post though, surely you have a source that supports your argument and debunks his.

Household burglaries ending in homicide made up 0.004% of all burglaries between 2003 and 2007 according to the FBI.

hth

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

lol

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

If I'm doing the math right that study says ~25% of home invasion robberies involve "violent victimization."

Edit: 26.66% by their number.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 9, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Well, here's a start.

https://www.google.com/#q=home+invasion+felony+murder

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

yes. and in over 70% of the burglaries included in the survey, the home owners were not present. Hard to kill someone who's not there. Which just backs up my earlier statement that a robber who does not want to risk physical victimization will likely come when no one is around. Home invasion with the owner present is inviting physical conflict. Whole different level of criminal there.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If I'm doing the math right that study says ~25% of home invasion robberies involve "violent victimization."

Keep doing math to find that no injuries occurred in 92% of all "home invasions"!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

amanasleep posted:

Keep doing math to find that no injuries occurred in 92% of all "home invasions"!
Try reading that again chief. Once you are done Google the distinction between "Burglary" and "Robbery."

Edit: This isn't buried in an appendix either. It's literally in the "Highlights" section of the first page of the report you apparently didn't read.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Try reading that again chief. Once you are done Google the distinction between "Burglary" and "Robbery."

Edit: This isn't buried in an appendix either. It's literally in the "Highlights" section of the first page of the report you apparently didn't read.

Nope. Check Table 20. This is fun.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

amanasleep posted:

Read your own loving source. In 26% of cases in which anyone but the burglar was present, there was a violent crime in addition to the burglary. And that's solely counting cases of burglary, meaning that the violent victimization was paired with the property crime, rather than being the sole criminal act.

EDIT: Your 92% number in Table 20 is for "attempted forcible entry", meaning they didn't get in, you utter twat.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Wait. A dude came into your home while you were there, took your poo poo, left, and then you chased him down and politely asked for it back and he returned the item and apologized?

How high was he? How high were you?

Hah. In fairness I did try to grab a weapon since he had at least 100 pounds on me, but I ditched it immediately realizing a foot tall plastic trash can is probably worse than useless. Didn't get the chance to ask for it, even. He just handed it back once I caught up, said 'sorry' a bit sheepishly, and started jogging off. I asked if he had anything else, he said no. So I..awkwardly told him how uncool a thing that is to do to someone. It's tough coming up with a clever way to chastise someone with such an abrupt and unexpected ending. It was pretty surreal.

He may have been high, who knows. I however had a red-eye flight the night before and had worked all day before that. Had I been high I probably would've been wise enough, or slow enough, not to do anything.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

amanasleep posted:

Nope. Check Table 20. This is fun.
Is English not your first language?

quote:

A household member was present in roughly 1 million burglar-ies and became victims of violent crimes in 266,560 burglaries.
Page one, bottom left, in a big green box labeled "Highlights."

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It was actually this

As opposed to his, still, zero source.

ActusRhesus posted:

yes. and in over 70% of the burglaries included in the survey, the home owners were not present. Hard to kill someone who's not there. Which just backs up my earlier statement that a robber who does not want to risk physical victimization will likely come when no one is around. Home invasion with the owner present is inviting physical conflict. Whole different level of criminal there.

We're still talking a sub .5% number when you take that into account.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Read your own loving source. In 26% of cases in which anyone but the burglar was present, there was a violent crime in addition to the burglary. And that's solely counting cases of burglary, meaning that the violent victimization was paired with the property crime, rather than being the sole criminal act.

EDIT: Your 92% number in Table 20 is for "attempted forcible entry", meaning they didn't get in, you utter twat.

It would help to know exactly what definition of burglary they are using. In a lot of jurisdictions it's intrusion into a dwelling with the intent to commit a felony. The felony doesn't have to be larceny. So breaking into someone's home to rape them is burglary and rape in some places.

Without clear guidance on how they are defining things, the study isn't all that helpful.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

While interesting, you'd need to separate the home invasions where the victims attempted to resist and when they didn't to draw any meaningful conclusions from this. You could easily end up supporting his/her argument with the little factoid too.
I'm just going to quote myself here in the middle of this little slapfight, since, as much as I'd like to agree with amanasleep, neither of you is actually showing anything from this. Yes, home invasions with the owner present sometimes end up in violence. But one side is trying to say that using force to defend your property increases the chance that there will be violence done on your body as well as your property. "But there's violence during home invasions!" isn't exactly a counterpoint to that, since it is always possible that there wouldn't have been had the homeowner responded differently. What about this is hard to understand?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pomp posted:

It was actually this

As opposed to his, still, zero source.

"According to the FBI’s Supplementary
Homicide Reports, 430 burglary-related
homicides occurred between 2003 and 2007
on average annually."

Is your position that 430 is an insignificant number, such that someone, facing a home invasion, should not be concerned for their safety?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I'm just going to quote myself here in the middle of this little slapfight, since, as much as I'd like to agree with amanasleep, neither of you is actually showing anything from this. Yes, home invasions with the owner present sometimes end up in violence. But one side is trying to say that using force to defend your property increases the chance that there will be violence done on your body as well as your property. "But there's violence during home invasions!" isn't exactly a counterpoint to that, since it is always possible that there wouldn't have been had the homeowner responded differently. What about this is hard to understand?

This thread is now un-ironically engaged in victim-blaming.

I think I'm done here.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pomp posted:

loving how are we talking about a sub .5% number when we're talking about 26% of burglaries in which a household member was present winding up with violent victimization? Are you trying to pull the "versus the entire national population" thing, where you ignore the fact that we're talking about cases in which someone has already illegally entered the house? You're just confusing poo poo to confuse poo poo now, I think.

ActusRhesus posted:

Without clear guidance on how they are defining things, the study isn't all that helpful.

Even conceding the first point, I can't agree with this. The simple fact of the numbers indicates that someone entering a house illegally for whatever purpose has, in over 25% of cases, engaged in a violent act toward the person or people inside. Still a useful figure, especially when people are trying to play the "if someone's in my house I'll just comply because they're obviously only there to take my TV" card.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ActusRhesus posted:

"According to the FBI’s Supplementary
Homicide Reports, 430 burglary-related
homicides occurred between 2003 and 2007
on average annually."

Is your position that 430 is an insignificant number, such that someone, facing a home invasion, should not be concerned for their safety?

Concern for safety is the exact reason no justice department in the world would advise you to argue or fight with robbers.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

loving how are we talking about a sub .5% number when we're talking about 26% of burglaries in which a household member was present winding up with violent victimization? Are you trying to pull the "versus the entire national population" thing, where you ignore the fact that we're talking about cases in which someone has already illegally entered the house? You're just confusing poo poo to confuse poo poo now, I think.

Even conceding the first point, I can't agree with this. The simple fact of the numbers indicates that someone entering a house illegally for whatever purpose has, in over 25% of cases, engaged in a violent act toward the person or people inside. Still a useful figure, especially when people are trying to play the "if someone's in my house I'll just comply because they're obviously only there to take my TV" card.

I think we're on the same page though...the point being that assuming "they'll just take my stuff and leave me alone" is naive. Ask these guys.

http://www.ibtimes.com/cheshire-murders-hbo-documentary-reveals-added-level-horror-unspeakable-connecticut-crime-1356201

oh...wait...

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

ActusRhesus posted:

Actually, home invasion robberies where the victims are home often end in death.

O.5% is often now?

I agree I would fear for my safety in such a situation but you seem to have quickly forgotten what you said.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
According to 538, 1100 police-committed killings occur on average annually.

Is your position that 1100 is an insignificant number, such that someone, facing a cop, should not be concerned for their safety?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

I think we're on the same page though...the point being that assuming "they'll just take my stuff and leave me alone" is naive. Ask these guys.

http://www.ibtimes.com/cheshire-murders-hbo-documentary-reveals-added-level-horror-unspeakable-connecticut-crime-1356201

oh...wait...

It sure is comforting when prosecutors don't even understand how data work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dum Cumpster posted:

O.5% is often now?

I agree I would fear for my safety in such a situation but you seem to have quickly forgotten what you said.

you'd have a point if I had said "the majority of home invasions end in death." which I didn't say.

but over 400 deaths a year? Yeah. I'd say that's often enough to be concerned.

Interestingly, it's on par with the approximate number of police related shootings, which is being called an epidemic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/09/08/how-many-police-shootings-a-year-no-one-knows/

• Locked thread