Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
rebase should not be a no mal part of your workflow wtf

rotor posted:

I just edit .git/config directly because it makes more sense to me :shobon:

I'm going to scream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
am i the only one who feels like code.org, learn to code, hour of code and all those things are a pretty thinly veiled way of suppressing developer salaries?

i mean when ~~captains of industry~~ like the zuck and bezos are saying that the demand for developers outstrips the supply and their solution is a "code for all" sort of thing all i can think is that they're trying to flood the market with low-cost developers

although i'm probably tilting and windmills over here

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blinkz0rz posted:

am i the only one who feels like code.org, learn to code, hour of code and all those things are a pretty thinly veiled way of suppressing developer salaries?

i mean when ~~captains of industry~~ like the zuck and bezos are saying that the demand for developers outstrips the supply and their solution is a "code for all" sort of thing all i can think is that they're trying to flood the market with low-cost developers

i think you're right. it's the same as when they try to get more visas for people to come here and work

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
whenever a tech ceo says there's a lack of programmers, mentally insert "that will work for cheap" after the statement and it starts to make sense.

the problem with screaming at a generation to get into STEM and crank out a CS degree is that suddenly they want the sort of high salary they were advertised to pay off all those student loans and well... paying people doesn't help your valuation

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, money owns

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blinkz0rz posted:

the truth is probably somewhere in between. yeah they want cheaper labor and to make themselves look good, but honestly programming is not hard and a lot of people think its some black-magic rocket surgery

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
that's cool, bring back classes in school to teach that poo poo, not babby's first internet tutorial

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Careful Drums posted:

the truth is probably somewhere in between. yeah they want cheaper labor and to make themselves look good, but honestly programming is not hard and a lot of people think its some black-magic rocket surgery

programming is hard but theres little to no downside for bad programming except making other bad programmers lives miserable maintaining it so meh

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

power botton posted:

programming is hard but theres little to no downside for bad programming except making other bad programmers lives miserable maintaining it so meh

Maybe for dipshits who aren't accountable lol.

There's a way to minmax money in -> codes out. The right mix of scrub-grammers and pro-grammers. Someone has to debug and janitor the source control and figure out who is on "human reflection API" duty wiring poo poo in like tinker toys vs actually writing an algo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space Whale posted:

Maybe for dipshits who aren't accountable lol.

There's a way to minmax money in -> codes out. The right mix of scrub-grammers and pro-grammers. Someone has to debug and janitor the source control and figure out who is on "human reflection API" duty wiring poo poo in like tinker toys vs actually writing an algo.

yay scrub-gramming :toot:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

power botton posted:

idk it would be nice if people stopped leaving app reviews like "great product, crap app" on our stuff. i guess it's not really that important though

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
NHS ftl

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Careful Drums posted:

programming is not hard and a lot of people think its some black-magic rocket surgery

shut up, you're devaluing me

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

rotor posted:

shut up, you're devaluing me

When a bunch of people who hate type systems and stylecop or even linters make poo poo code and you go fix it sell yourself as the grand poobah of good code.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ugh they want to pay me 18 dollars an hour to commute 2 hours a day to do entry level qa work

isn't that just running unit tests all day and trying not to shoot yourself out of boredom

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Luigi Thirty posted:

ugh they want to pay me 18 dollars an hour to commute 2 hours a day to do entry level qa work

isn't that just running unit tests all day and trying not to shoot yourself out of boredom

I guess you forgot the bit where you're trying not to shoot everyone else before you embrace sweet death

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Blinkz0rz posted:

isn't it cool when capitalists don't even bother with a veneer of civility? they just straight up tell you that society should do poo poo to make them richer

and then society does it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

like crapitalism is any better

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

git out

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
seriously though 'everyone should code' is a totally transparent attempt to ease labor costs for silly con valley giants.

labor is their biggest cost and they resent what little personal comfort workers can extract from them. any perk you don't receive at the office, you don't really deserve. salaries are for management, not individual contributors. why can't you just be happy with free meals and a ball pit!?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

If SV really wants cheap workers, they should just burst the god drat bubble and the problem with solve itself but nope, gotta send people to code school to learn how to code for cheap cheap cheap while promising them high wages!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seriously though 'everyone should code' is a totally transparent attempt to ease labor costs for silly con valley giants.

labor is their biggest cost and they resent what little personal comfort workers can extract from them. any perk you don't receive at the office, you don't really deserve. salaries are for management, not individual contributors. why can't you just be happy with free meals and a ball pit!?

i'd be happy with a free meal right now. i'm pretty hungry

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I would be happy with free meals

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

okay since i posted that i got three phone interviews for developer junk set up for next week so crisis averted

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

they should just burst the god drat bubble

no, don't!!!!!!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

no, don't!!!!!!

I currently live my life fully expecting my days of great employment with good wages to be counted. Soon it shall turn to ashes and I'll go back to the lower salaries of yesteryear, slinging PHP for customers who want their logo to be bigger.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
everyone should code is even dumber than every should change their own oil

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

I currently live my life fully expecting my days of great employment with good wages to be counted. Soon it shall turn to ashes and I'll go back to the lower salaries of yesteryear, slinging PHP for customers who want their logo to be bigger.

you of all people should be able to knock up good odds of whether you'll still have a job post-bubble

heroku is a straight-up b2b play. they will almost certainly continue to exist in some form after the bubble pops, you just gotta figure out whether that form includes you, personally

• what fraction of revenue comes from startups and the cloud of related pissant B2Bs that will disappear? (to a first approximation this is just gonna be all the small and mid-size businesses)

• after that fraction is gone, how many people are gonna have to get canned?

• after figuring that number, you think you're not in the top N% that gets retained?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk the fad langs that rely on heroku will hopefully disappear if/when the bubble pops. everyone else is just gonna continue using aws/azure directly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could prob get a job at aws which I guess pays well but has widely differing enjoyment levels.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

here in Tampa the market is all medical and financial and olds and banks will still be here after the bubble pops

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i want to do something w/ Microsoft Orleans but idk what. I was thinking maybe a sip based voip/chat thing? idk.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

here in Tampa the market is all medical and financial and olds and banks will still be here after the bubble pops

to a significant extent, this is true everywhere, even silicon valley.

google is a 50,000 person firm. oracle is 100,000. apple has 50,000 in the usa alone. those businesses won't dry up and blow away when the bubble pops

most software and IT people work for huge corporations doing normal boring things. those jobs won't disappear because a bunch of venture capitalists lost their money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google is a 50,000 person firm. oracle is 100,000. apple has 50,000 in the usa alone. those businesses won't dry up and blow away when the bubble pops

we can dream

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

sure but that's no reason to try and get back there in a hurry

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
long live the bubble

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i am growing to hate learning java-on-the-job but mainly because so much crap is impossible to figure out with a book when working from someone's production code

then you gotta bother someone whose time is probably better spent not talking to you about honest-to-g-d baby level things you dont understand like dependency injection or spring, which totally are not in that java book you bought so you wouldnt have to ask a million questions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i sometimes think it would be fun to do community training things where u and other local coders get 2gether and talk about why maven owns and how to use it or why p-langs are poo poo for idiots. like professional to professional type deals. like maybe u could even form a guild to keep the plangers out of everyones hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

Shaggar posted:

long live the bubble

for real, atleast until i get a little taste. dont pop right as im graduating

• Locked thread