Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

noirstronaut posted:

Metroid isn't cute enough for Nintendo.

If Kirby is an example, cute things are squishy and round. Close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Trent posted:

Animal Crossing more popular than Metroid? :raise:

Yes.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Trent posted:

Yes? Where have you been?

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Trent posted:

The truth hurts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

noirstronaut posted:

Metroid isn't cute enough for Nintendo.

This is true. Time for Samus' Wooly Metroid

Trent posted:

Y... yes?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Trent posted:

Animal Crossing is a huge franchise for Nintendo and it's popular with demographics that don't necessarily care about other Nintendo franchises.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Trent posted:

Hahahahaha

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trent posted:

If you're serious then you're really, really stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trent posted:

I just don't understand how this could be surprising to anyone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Trent posted:

Yes, wildly so. The last Animal Crossing probably sold more than most of the Metroid franchise combined.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

isabelle spends most of her time counting fat stacks now

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Metroid was kinda petering out for a while though. Other M was the nail in the coffin but Corruption and Hunters preceded it and those weren't exactly amazing either. It's not really a mystery why Nintendo isn't in a hurry to beat the dead horse right now.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Corruption was fine and Hunters had a poo poo single player, but its multiplayer was surprisingly good if buggy (To the extent where it actually had a pretty elaborate metagame behind it.)

Other M is, like, the one genuinely bad game in the Metroid series. The only one. That isn't petering out, that's falling off a cliff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Woo look at all the replies. I guess I just don't know a single person IRL that gives a poo poo about animal crossing, but a lot that would love a new Metroid. It's probably just that I'm old.

In any case, they're going to make more mario, zelda, pokeymans, and apparently animal crossings anyway, it's not like making a metroid or farming one out HAS TO take away from that.

So... should I be playing animal crossing?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just have Platinum make a Metroid game with Zero Suit Samus, problem solved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trent posted:

Well only if you like that kind of thing. It's popular, but it still doesn't appeal to me in the slightest as it seems incredibly boring.

Funnily enough I think Animal Crossing and Metroid are just about the only major Nintendo franchises I have no interest in.

I guess there's also F-Zero but no one in their right mind would consider that a major franchise.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RyokoTK posted:

Metroid was kinda petering out for a while though. Other M was the nail in the coffin but Corruption and Hunters preceded it and those weren't exactly amazing either. It's not really a mystery why Nintendo isn't in a hurry to beat the dead horse right now.

They keep going away from what made the franchise good and it sucks and no one likes it what a surprise!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Trent posted:

isabelle is your friend, if you play animal crossing or not

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
This didn't take long at all

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Echophonic posted:

As cool as Platinum are, this is like the last thing I want for Metroid. I don't want an action game for Metroid, and I think Zero Suit Samus is probably the worst thing to happen to the series because it was the thing that spurred them onto giving Samus more "character", which imo actually removed what little she had.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Animal Crossing is a huge franchise for Nintendo and it's popular with demographics that don't necessarily care about other Nintendo franchises.

Like PaletteSwappedNinja said, Animal Crossing appeals to a different and wider demographic than Metroid. Similar to how the Sims franchise has a wide audience with some people not owning any other games outside the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if Animal Crossing appealed to the same kind of people.

Although I'm a big fan of Metroid, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a big audience. It's an sci-fi action action series that typically has a focus on exploration and also has puzzle solving elements. That separates it from typical M-Rated FPS schlock so you lose that (apparently very large) segment of the video game market, but because it's not a franchise people who usually aren't interested in videogames are likely to pick up you also miss out on that broader market that Sims/Animal Crossing appeals to.

Still, I hope it has been successful enough that we get to see another 2D entry in the series, in spite of Other M.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Trent posted:

Metroid really isn't that popular and it's coming of it's least successful title ever. Like, Skyward Sword wasn't recieved too well by hardcore fans but it still sold tons. Other M sold like poo poo and I really hope they don't just mark that game as "there's not a market for metroid games anymore".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Echophonic posted:

Nintendo should pay for Vanquish 2 and just put a Metroid skin over it

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If they want to give Samus a "character" then let us play those GBA ending pictures where she's in her shorts at the space bar post-mission lookin' to pick up space dudes who she will totally bang and then leave in the morning without a word.

Or you know, just give us space and a list of bounties to hunt down.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i want a metroid game where samus uses her cool jet boots from smash bros

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

CatsPajamas posted:

Like PaletteSwappedNinja said, Animal Crossing appeals to a different and wider demographic than Metroid. Similar to how the Sims franchise has a wide audience with some people not owning any other games outside the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if Animal Crossing appealed to the same kind of people.

Although I'm a big fan of Metroid, it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have a big audience. It's an sci-fi action action series that typically has a focus on exploration and also has puzzle solving elements. That separates it from typical M-Rated FPS schlock so you lose that (apparently very large) segment of the video game market, but because it's not a franchise people who usually aren't interested in videogames are likely to pick up you also miss out on that broader market that Sims/Animal Crossing appeals to.

Still, I hope it has been successful enough that we get to see another 2D entry in the series, in spite of Other M.

Samus as a character retains some general awareness from people because hey, early female lead in gaming, but beyond that, most people haven't likely gone anywhere near a Metroid game. Really, that's kind of a thing with Nintendo characters outside their really big franchises - they're known about but their games not so much. Hell, Captain Falcon at this point largely persists on a combination of Smash Bros, internet memes, and Mute City.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Austrian mook posted:

Metroid really isn't that popular and it's coming of it's least successful title ever. Like, Skyward Sword wasn't recieved too well by hardcore fans but it still sold tons. Other M sold like poo poo and I really hope they don't just mark that game as "there's not a market for metroid games anymore".

They've been pushing the VC Metroids through sales and stuff, so I'm thinking they haven't completely given up on it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm not sure I trust the Nintendo of 2014 to make a Metroid game that doesn't play up Vulnerable Cheesecake Samus.

Retro was getting it right with the Prime series, hopefully they've been (or will be) assigned a Metroid project again.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

They've been pushing the VC Metroids through sales and stuff, so I'm thinking they haven't completely given up on it.

They pushed Earthbound on the VC too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
This is fairly unrelated but I kind of want someone to make a multiplayer metroidvania style game. Something like a + shaped world map, 4 players, the center is the "base" or start point or whatever. Sometimes you need the other players to advance to a certain point and find an upgrade for you and bring it back, etc. It would probably be infuriating with bad players but if everyone was on a similar level it could own.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Light Gun Man posted:

If they want to give Samus a "character" then let us play those GBA ending pictures where she's in her shorts at the space bar post-mission lookin' to pick up space dudes who she will totally bang and then leave in the morning without a word.

Or you know, just give us space and a list of bounties to hunt down.

Imagine a more-aggressive Payday-style game where Samus infiltrates the bases of space ganglords and poo poo and kills the gently caress out of everyone inside

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Light Gun Man posted:

They keep going away from what made the franchise good and it sucks and no one likes it what a surprise!

I totally agree with you. I really like the 2D Metroids and Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time. It's just that it's not really a mystery why they aren't crazy about making more Metroid games right now.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see one come out in like 2016 when Nintendo realizes they're running out of franchise titles to make before moving on to a new console though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

sharrrk posted:

i want a metroid game where samus uses her cool jet boots from smash bros

See

Help Im Alive posted:

Melee during boost I think
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 10, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

serious question: how do you do that backflip? I'm only in like chapter 3 or 4

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Imagine a more-aggressive Payday-style game where Samus infiltrates the bases of space ganglords and poo poo and kills the gently caress out of everyone inside

Yeah, there are good "alternative takes" Metroid could get, they just have yet to do any of them.

Other than maybe pinball, was that any good?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Trent posted:

Woo look at all the replies. I guess I just don't know a single person IRL that gives a poo poo about animal crossing, but a lot that would love a new Metroid. It's probably just that I'm old.

In any case, they're going to make more mario, zelda, pokeymans, and apparently animal crossings anyway, it's not like making a metroid or farming one out HAS TO take away from that.

Yes but the Metroid's popularity isn't really dictated by people you know in real life. Metroid sells a fraction of what other Nintendo franchises do and last I remember Japan doesn't give much of a poo poo for the series. Animal Crossing always sells well.

And to answer your question, if you want to play a cutesy, watered down version of The Sims that becomes babby's first mortgage simulator, then yes, play Animal Crossing.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

As cool as Platinum are, this is like the last thing I want for Metroid. I don't want an action game for Metroid, and I think Zero Suit Samus is probably the worst thing to happen to the series because it was the thing that spurred them onto giving Samus more "character", which imo actually removed what little she had.

I don't know how Zero Suit Samus ruined her since in every game you're rewarded by her stripping down, it wasn't until Other M when

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

noirstronaut posted:

They pushed Earthbound on the VC too.

I think Earthbound and Super Mario Bros 3 might be the only games that got VC previews with any effort.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I don't know how Zero Suit Samus ruined her since in every game you're rewarded by her stripping down, it wasn't until Other M when

I don't think I have to explain the difference between "two seconds at the end of a game and changes every time" and "you play an entire forced stealth segment of Zero Mission".

Besides I'm not talking about how ~scandalously sexy~ ZSS is, but more that since now she has a codified design under the armor, it was inevitable that it was going to show up more often. Samus should basically just be the Power Suit to prevent that.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Looper posted:

No, that's what PC games are for

Nope wrong again most of the difficult games are on the PC

Help Im Alive posted:

Ohhh my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Other M and ZSS are symptoms of the same problem. The former tries to "soften" her by making her more emotionally vulnerable, the latter makes her more visually sexualized. In both cases, exploring the depth of her history and potential is given lower priority than making her a more appealing fetish object.

• Locked thread