Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Tollymain posted:

no i'm pretty sure waking up in exalted's world is just extra reason to roll over and die
Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

just...imagine. :magical:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AmiYumi posted:

Imagine what Reddit and 4chan would look like if the world were suddenly Exalted

No. God no. I refuse. You can't make me do this horrible thing oh god I did it shoot me now

4chan are Lunars, Reddit are Infernals. :froggonk:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, this was my point from earlier. If you're playing an idealized, exaggerated version of yourself in a world that runs on action movie logic it's not like you're really playing "you" so much anymore.

How is it any less "you"? To borrow from Eclipse Phase, if I sleeve you into Indiana Jones' body, it's still you. If you go on an adventure in that body to save the Staff of Destiny from Nazis in colonial India, you're still on that adventure, doing those things.

AmiYumi posted:

DON'T DO THAT

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Zurui posted:

How is it any less "you"?

I don't think tabletop role playing games are ready for this sort of ontological nightmare.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

How is it any less "you"? To borrow from Eclipse Phase, if I sleeve you into Indiana Jones' body, it's still you. If you go on an adventure in that body to save the Staff of Destiny from Nazis in colonial India, you're still on that adventure, doing those things.

I guess if you ignored the physical differences, personality differences, and obvious superpowers required for the concept to fly then sure, it would be exactly like me.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I think that's the big disconnect. If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd still be me. I'd just be a me that can also fly.

If I woke up tomorrow and found myself suddenly as an action hero, I'd still be me, just a me that's way better at certain things.

When I work out, I don't become another person!

The disconnect is the idea that I'd suddenly have this totally different personality. Which is the opposite of what I'm saying! Why on earth would I suddenly have this totally different personality?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd still be me.

Would you really, though?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

The disconnect is the idea that I'd suddenly have this totally different personality. Which is the opposite of what I'm saying! Why on earth would I suddenly have this totally different personality?
At a certain point, I feel like the disconnect would make sense; a lot of RPGs sort of function on (lucid) dream logic. "There's no way this could be real, let's have some fun with it."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

You might in fact be a hideous insect.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think that's the big disconnect. If I woke up tomorrow with superpowers, I'd still be me. I'd just be a me that can also fly.

If I woke up tomorrow and found myself suddenly as an action hero, I'd still be me, just a me that's way better at certain things.

If I woke up and had superpowers I'd still be me, which means I wouldn't rush off to fight Nazis and aliens, I'd probably try to leverage my sweet superpowers to make a zillion dollars and retire young.

But because doing that would basically be the "I sit at home and do nothing" option and damnit Bob we game once a week if that, can you at least try to play along, the whole concept hinges on me pretending that my response to gaining superpowers.wouldn't be how it would actually play out but instead "I decide to act like an RPG protagonist I guess."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

AmiYumi posted:

So...it'd be baseline Exalted?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, I'm an Eagle Scout. I have been a lot of camping trips, I've hunted with guns, traps, and a bow and arrow, I can make camps fire, etc. I'm not a bad shot with a rifle, but I don't practice often. Also, I only know basic first aid and I haven't done it in a while. I'm a little overweight, but I do regularly attend a gym and can do decent cardio and weight lifting. I've been in a lot of fist fights in my life because of a mix of lovely school and lovely neighborhood: wouldn't call myself good at fighting.

What are my chances in a zombie apocalypse?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Making up characters is fun and I have a giant backlog of ideas I'm dying to use.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Covok posted:

What are my chances in a zombie apocalypse?

Pretty good, because zombies aren't real

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
See everyone always goes zombie apocalypse but I would like to suggest a new one: what if you were transported to an alternate dimension and had to use your existing skills to fit into its similar-but-crazy world. Bureaucracy might be loving awesome if you wound up in some weird hell and got drafted to do soul taxes or some poo poo, whereas I'm a tour guide most of the time and my major skill would be taking groups of demons around and showing them things while talking.

"Over here on your left you'll see Bereth's Falls, where the blood of the ten thousand sinners that are being tortured in his dungeons washes into the river Acheron. Not many people know this, but there was actually a small pre-existing blood stream at this site before Bereth built his torture castle. In fact it's why Bereth was drawn here in the first place! All hail Bereth, by the way, don't want to incur his wrath and wind up in those dungeons ourselves! C'mon let's give him a rousing cheer. Yeah! Now on your right you'll see the distinctive rock formations of the Needles, each one skewering some poor unfortunate. See if anyone you know's up there!"

Edit: Basically what if you were in the webcomic http://killsixbilliondemons.com/ which everyone should read cause it's awesome.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

If I woke up and had superpowers I'd still be me, which means I wouldn't rush off to fight Nazis and aliens, I'd probably try to leverage my sweet superpowers to make a zillion dollars and retire young.

That would be my response, sure. That would probably be most people's response. I'm sure a few would become masked vigilantes (because there's always that guy), but yeah I'd definitely want to get rich and live a life of luxury instead of fight crime, nazis, aliens, or do anything else that would make people want to kill me.

Kai Tave posted:

But because doing that would basically be the "I sit at home and do nothing" option

No it wouldn't. A session of "how did you get rich quick with your superhuman <thing>" (which would be fun!), then cut to "undead nazis (aliens, illuminati, vampires, evil government agency) have noticed you and want to cut you up for their supersoldier research program" or whatever other of the many dude-with-superpowers-doesn't-get-to-relax storylines you want to go with.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AmiYumi posted:

At a certain point, I feel like the disconnect would make sense; a lot of RPGs sort of function on (lucid) dream logic. "There's no way this could be real, let's have some fun with it."

"It was all a dream" could make for a fun meta-device for a roleplaying game. You and your friends share a dream and then wake up in the real world.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
If I woke up with crazy superpowers and found out there were evil secret nazi wizard illuminatis with some plots then maybe I'm unique in my response of TIME TO SUPER-PUNCH SOME NAZIS.

If I and some buds were reading a magic book and got teleported to a fantasy world the last thing I'd do is just sit back and do nothing. That's a clear sign that it's time for some adventures.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Zurui posted:

"It was all a dream" could make for a fun meta-device for a roleplaying game. You and your friends share a dream and then wake up in the real world.

You and your friends are trapped in a full-immersion VR superheroes video game. You make it out, but it's given you the powers you had in the game in the real world. I'd be amazed if there isn't already a comic book about this.

ProfessorCirno posted:

If I and some buds were reading a magic book and got teleported to a fantasy world the last thing I'd do is just sit back and do nothing. That's a clear sign that it's time for some adventures.

Have you read The Magicians?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

Have you read The Magicians?

I've not! I read the wiki on it and it sounds depressing. Totally not what would happen, nope. It'd be rad adventures.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's really worth a read. I'd stop at the first one though.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a Lawful Good Paladin.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Esser-Z posted:

Look, I already said I don't want to play myself.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Everybody always thinks they're gonna be the wizard, but it turns out 99.99% of the denizens of Heartbreakerland are poo poo farmers. Just sayin'.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Esser-Z posted:

Or a butterfly dreaming that it's a human.

Or a brain in a jar.

Or the mouthy athletic manifestation of some weird gestalt Zanar-- :commissar:

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let me put it this way. It's no secret--a lot of my characters are prettyboys. I try my best to take them in different directions, but odds are they're at least a little attractive. Everybody makes light of it and I laugh along with it too. No great harm.

Now imagine you have a campaign that goes "a gooey kablooie gives you-yourself superpowers, what do you wake up with?" and I said "inhuman ethereal beauty and glamour." That's a recipe for a Worst TTRPG Experience at best and would probably reveal actual depressive/control mental issues at worst. Either way it would get me roundly laughed at as one of those delusional sorts who thinks he's in an anime and make an absolute firestorm of accusations as to what particular mental disorder I've got.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Part of successful role playing is understanding the flaws (of personality and skill) of one's character and representing them candidly and earnestly; it really shouldn't be that hard, then, to understand why some might not want to role play themselves, or might feel that they aren't up to the task. Real self-appraisal takes a lot of time.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

Everybody always thinks they're gonna be the wizard, but it turns out 99.99% of the denizens of Heartbreakerland are poo poo farmers. Just sayin'.

Commoners who live in fear of the common house cat.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Commoners who live in fear of the common house cat.

In fairness, the wizard also lives in mortal terror of the house cat until he has a few counts of felony murder to his name.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We all live in the shadow of Patches the Destroyer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, but we're talking rather explicitly about a game where it's "wake up and now you're a protagonist."

Davin Valkri posted:

Let me put it this way. It's no secret--a lot of my characters are prettyboys. I try my best to take them in different directions, but odds are they're at least a little attractive. Everybody makes light of it and I laugh along with it too. No great harm.

Now imagine you have a campaign that goes "a gooey kablooie gives you-yourself superpowers, what do you wake up with?" and I said "inhuman ethereal beauty and glamour." That's a recipe for a Worst TTRPG Experience at best and would probably reveal actual depressive/control mental issues at worst. Either way it would get me roundly laughed at as one of those delusional sorts who thinks he's in an anime and make an absolute firestorm of accusations as to what particular mental disorder I've got.

That'd be a dickhead thing to do! There's no difference between "I turn into this loving rad wizard with fireballs and lightning bolts and a skull because DEATH IS CERTAIN" and "I become this sweet beguiling fey enchanter who bends the wills of my enemies with my near supernatural glamour." If people are ok with the former and not the latter, I pronounce them dickheads.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

grassy gnoll posted:

In fairness, the wizard also lives in mortal terror of the house cat until he has a few counts of felony murder to his name.

The wizard was pretty certain the goblin had a weapon. What was he supposed to do, tell the filthy creature to stand down? He's risking his life here!

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

We all live in the shadow of Patches the Destroyer.
Where/what is your avatar from? It's a very...unique take on the character.

Zurui posted:

The wizard was pretty certain the goblin had a weapon. What was he supposed to do, tell the filthy creature to stand down? He's risking his life here!
Please don't. I already have to ration how much time I spend in D&D lately to avoid :suicide:, let me keep elfgame-chat a pleasant diversion.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AmiYumi posted:

Please don't. I already have to ration how much time I spend in D&D lately to avoid :suicide:, let me keep elfgame-chat a pleasant diversion.

No, I understand. I don't play dungeon crawl games as it is because of the implications. Sorry if I offended :(

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AmiYumi posted:

Where/what is your avatar from? It's a very...unique take on the character.

It's a prolific Japanese voice actor named Sugita from when he was on Persona Stalker Club. He dressed up like Yukiko when they were playing Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Zurui posted:

No, I understand. I don't play dungeon crawl games as it is because of the implications. Sorry if I offended :(
No, it's cool. Just wanted to head things off before it went any further in that direction.

It's a prolific Japanese voice actor named Sugita from when he was on Persona Stalker Club. He dressed up like Yukiko when they were playing Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.

Sugita as in "Tokyo Encounter" Sugita?

...internet says "yes". New show to watch, yay!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sugita's basically the coolest guy. He had a whole TV show that was just about him, buddy voice actor Yuuichi Nakamura and maybe some other unfortunate schmuck in the biz sitting around playing video games and telling goony jokes. I would metaphorically kill people for more translated episodes of Tokyo Encounter.

...There is actually a translated episode I have not seen. :neckbeard: I might have to go kill somebody now, just to balance it out.

Edit: It's amazing that neither one of us identified him with his numerous pretty great anime roles. No, we had to talk about the show where he sits around playing video games.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 10, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He was only on the one episode by the way. The bald guy and the woman are the usual hosts.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I have been working on a tutorial for making maps based off my long years occasional bouts of work. I am hoping to make it comprehensive enough to help people out with making fancy maps.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

You and your friends are trapped in a full-immersion VR superheroes video game. You make it out, but it's given you the powers you had in the game in the real world. I'd be amazed if there isn't already a comic book about this.

If you still have the powers, I'd say there's a 100% chance you're still trapped in the game. Could still be an interesting situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mad Jaqk posted:

If you still have the powers, I'd say there's a 100% chance you're still trapped in the game. Could still be an interesting situation.

"Or are you?" would be driving the plot, yeah.

As far as RPG scenarios go, "you're trapped in a video game and can't escape" and "you've escaped from a video game and retained your powers" both seem pretty interesting.

• Locked thread