Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

you know why that is

you do.

It's because he ran out of idea for how to develop Jim and Maggie's relationship and he's just lazy now.

Have the CIA rectally hydrate Sorkin with shrooms and crack so we can get some good TV again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

sorkin is a hack. the west wing was probably poo poo too.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

sorkin is a hack. the west wing was probably poo poo too.

the west wing was poo poo

I got 4 episodes in before I went all:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

The Warszawa posted:

the chat thread is supposed to be a safe space

also I'm not giving her a pile of poo poo for anything but I do think that when you change names and details of an assaulter for a memoir and, in spite of or because of those changes, people wrongly identify a guy as the assaulter and he asks you to state that it wasn't him you were referring to - not doubting the essential truth of her story but asking that if she's not accusing him to say "nope not that dude" the thing to do is say "it's a memoir dummy of course it isn't a dude with literally the same name"

When folks go about checking the details of a public figures sexual assault story i generally assume it's because society is poo poo and that's what people do.

Like who would imagine she was using real names in the first place? Why are people even looking? I don't really like Lena Dunham but if she says she got raped in college then that's likely enough I'm not really going to look into it. Almost every woman I know has a sexual assault story.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

You have taken the gimmick too far. TOO FAR!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

You have taken the gimmick too far. TOO FAR!

E:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The problem is that the people they elect to represent them think they aren't idiots. Rahm Emanuel actually thinks he's the smartest guy in the room most of the time, and he just isn't.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
So I know Lena Duhnman is behind "Girls" or whatever it's called and some people have problems with how white it is and with the kind of tone it takes, but what else has she done to get talked about so much? It seems like everyday there's some new controversy that turns out to be nothing. Why do people care about this woman? And I don't mean that in a dismissive "I don't watch TV sense", I mean what vibes does she give off that seem to upset people so much?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm reminded that Kanye West Wing exists and is great.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
people get the representation they deserve, and democrats really really deserve rahm emmanuel. emmanuel 2016, "youre all f-ing retarded"

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Zeitgueist posted:

When folks go about checking the details of a public figures sexual assault story i generally assume it's because society is poo poo and that's what people do.

Like who would imagine she was using real names in the first place? Why are people even looking? I don't really like Lena Dunham but if she says she got raped in college then that's likely enough I'm not really going to look into it. Almost every woman I know has a sexual assault story.

Yeah no poo poo people are complete assholes and decided to play magnum pi with her memoir, and there's no way to completely insulate the book unless you call everyone X or Y and then your memoir starts to look like a common core algebra exam.

The only plausible ambiguity was that sometimes she used fake names and sometimes she didn't, and sometimes she said she did and sometimes she didn't, and people thought that lined up. the thing is that the assholes were trying to dig up poo poo to say she was lying and did so by saying "this is who she accused, see how it couldn't line up?" and the thing is that that dude now - through no fault of his own unless he actually is the rapist - is accused of rape.

Now obviously the irony is that in trying to "out" a "false rape accusation", the breitbart people have falsely accused someone of rape. but people being total shitheads isn't an unpredictable thing and insofar as there's a costless way for dunham to mitigate that poo poo I don't get why her doing it is some great affront

My Imaginary GF posted:

see I thought you'd have really liked episode 4, Five Votes Down.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So I know Lena Duhnman is behind "Girls" or whatever it's called and some people have problems with how white it is and with the kind of tone it takes, but what else has she done to get talked about so much? It seems like everyday there's some new controversy that turns out to be nothing. Why do people care about this woman? And I don't mean that in a dismissive "I don't watch TV sense", I mean what vibes does she give off that seem to upset people so much?

I haven't actually watched an episode of Girls, but I sort of get the impression that the controversy is about her being a 28 year old woman with a hit TV show.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Molesting your little sister is pretty bad

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

I haven't actually watched an episode of Girls, but I sort of get the impression that the controversy is about her being a 28 year old woman with a hit TV show.

are you chait irl be honest

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

rich successful connected young prominent privileged oblivious liberal white woman, pick any three and that combination pisses someone off.

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 10, 2014

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

paranoid randroid posted:

people get the representation they deserve, and democrats really really deserve rahm emmanuel. emmanuel 2016, "youre all f-ing retarded"

A nation of charter schools, just imagine.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Molesting your little sister is pretty bad

That always seemed like a big jump to me. From my understanding, as a pre-pubescent child she poked and prodded and tormented her baby sister, some of which happened to be in the genitals. I don't think there was any sexual intent and from what I understand her sister doesn't give a poo poo. I mean when I was four I launched my 18 month year old baby sister down a long set of stairs in a laundry basket and I would think anyone making an outcry against me for child endangerment would be loving bonkers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of young, female commedians, Mike Nichols died recently, but his comedy partner Elaine May is still alive. Here they are destroying the idea of the meritocracy at the 1959 Emmys. Bonus: she was introduced by Richard Nixon.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
you know what movie I can't bring myself to give a poo poo about?

boyhood

just can't do it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Dazed and Confused wasn't a good movie and didn't say anything interesting.

Linklater only speaks to bullshit Gen X ideals and Alex Jones. But I repeat myself.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/120914securitymessage.html#.VIdbR7X_sqs.twitter

hey reindeerF, state department says you're hosed cos of feinstein

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

That always seemed like a big jump to me. From my understanding, as a pre-pubescent child she poked and prodded and tormented her baby sister, some of which happened to be in the genitals. I don't think there was any sexual intent and from what I understand her sister doesn't give a poo poo. I mean when I was four I launched my 18 month year old baby sister down a long set of stairs in a laundry basket and I would think anyone making an outcry against me for child endangerment would be loving bonkers.

Nah, apparently it went on quite a lot longer than that. Like into her teens or some poo poo.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Dazed and Confused wasn't a good movie and didn't say anything interesting.

Linklater only speaks to bullshit Gen X ideals and Alex Jones. But I repeat myself.

hm you passed my voight-chait test, interesting

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

you know what movie I can't bring myself to give a poo poo about?

boyhood

just can't do it.
it's really good, actually.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

it's really good, actually.

based on the fact that this looks like wingdings to me i'm assuming this is a statement about boyhood

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

weird

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kanye's "Bound 2" is the same song as the KLF's "Kylie Said to Jason" :colbert:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Kanye's "Bound 2" is the same song as the KLF's "Kylie Said to Jason" :colbert:

all those memories lost ... like tears of maple syrup to new hampshire

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ReidRansom posted:

Nah, apparently it went on quite a lot longer than that. Like into her teens or some poo poo.

Ayup. This is one of the times when you whoop your kid.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

all those memories lost ... like tears of maple syrup to new hampshire

Time to diet.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReidRansom posted:

Nah, that was entirely about a Breitbart "reporter" adding the word "teen" onto the end of the age she actually was.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Wait, Geb X has ideals? I thought we only had bitter disaffection, and flannel.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Linklater's Waking Life is still literally the shittiest movie I have ever seen, and I feel so strongly I actually used the shift key to make this post.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Nah, that was entirely about a Breitbart "reporter" adding the word "teen" onto the end of the age she actually was.

Oh. Well whatever. She still sounds like a really terrible person. Like just generally.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Ayup. This is one of the times when you whoop your kid.

From what I understand her parents are hosed in the head too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wait, Geb X has ideals? I thought we only had bitter disaffection, and flannel.

Flannel is eternal.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Flannel is eternal.

I did find it convenient at the time that dressing like a woodchuck suddenly became briefly fashionable, I admit.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 10, 2014

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ReidRansom posted:

Oh. Well whatever. She still sounds like a really terrible person. Like just generally.

Sure, but every comedian is a terrible person, it's just part of the package.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Flannel is eternal.

My 80 year old uncle has been wearing Levis, Docs and flannel since the late fifties and periodically goes in and out of style

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OK I guess, but I'm not convinced of her talent either. Whatever. I don't really care either way.

So here's a Frozen themed Xmas tree cone from Japan made with like 22kg of platinum. Yours for ~$3m if you love Frozen like the Japanese love Frozen. And they fucken love some Frozen.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
What the hell set that movie apart from any other dreck Disney has put out lately? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mooyashi posted:

What the hell set that movie apart from any other dreck Disney has put out lately? I don't get it.

calling it dreck seems a little harsh. it's basically the same quality level as your lion king or your little mermaid.

nothing on the level of "planes", the spin off of "cars"

• Locked thread