Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Discovered this week: a desktop with a "Designed for Windows 98" sticker sitting in a back room. It's on XP, running FoxPro. Yes it's on the network (but not the domain), and of course IT doesn't have local admin access.

Both me and the DBA just found out about it. We asked an IT guy who's been here for the better part of a decade why the hell it's still around, he says that one of the execs says that she needs to access it once or twice a year for Reasons. I'm going to try to get it outta here, but it's not promising that it's been here this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

beepsandboops posted:

Discovered this week: a desktop with a "Designed for Windows 98" sticker sitting in a back room. It's on XP, running FoxPro. Yes it's on the network (but not the domain), and of course IT doesn't have local admin access.

Both me and the DBA just found out about it. We asked an IT guy who's been here for the better part of a decade why the hell it's still around, he says that one of the execs says that she needs to access it once or twice a year for Reasons. I'm going to try to get it outta here, but it's not promising that it's been here this long.

P-to-V that mofo before it dies.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

I stand corrected, forgot my machine was not bound to the domain at the moment. Looks like Windows 8 differs from 7 on the defaults as well, my machine shows it as allowed on Private networks and I know I haven't manually modified that where yours has it denied across the board.

I still don't get the reasoning. Sure, let's throw away a useful diagnostic tool just because Microsoft hosed it all up once nearly 20 years ago and some Windows 95 machines crashed.

Probably worried that they've got other bugs or security holes i guess? even if it wasn't blocked by default you'd find a lot of morons doing it themselves.

Had a customer recently with a routing issue, needed a traceroute but they wouldn't allow traceroute through their firewall outbound because it'd be a "Security Risk"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just open the case, pop some caps off with a screwdriver, close the case, and head home for the day.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

beepsandboops posted:

Cruzados to Cronuts it's for year end accounting reports. I'm guessing there's a laborious process where someone asks your DBA to exports (x) figures to a spreadsheet and said exec laboriously enters it into FoxPro.

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

P-to-V that mofo before it dies.

Penis to vagina that motherfucker? I always assumed motherfuckers didn't have vaginas

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The strangest things are listed as the primary responsibilities for the VP: Customer support, purchasing, hardware and software issues, replacement of outdated equipment...

Yes, I am the senior vice president of printer troubleshooting. My job responsibilities include crawling under reception's desk to replace the mouse. Why are you laughing?!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It seems they will be hiring an I.T. technician to work under the VP. That tech is going to get worked hard and micro-managed within an inch of his life, and if the VP is like my bosses will also be sacrificed if someone gets upset about something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today I put together a quote for a new Dell with an i3 and 8GB of RAM, and with the Office license and markup it comes to like $850. This is to replace a 6+ year old computer running a COre 2 Duo and 32-bit Windows 7 on 3GB of RAM.

I am 99% sure I am going to get fought on this, as it's going to be "too expensive" and they're going to ask why the current computer isn't powerful enough since it's "not that old."

Well I mean, yeah, you could pay us at least $800 to reinstall the OS with a 64-bit version and order new RAM (I think it's DDR2, actually, so that may end up costing a lot) but I would much rather you just buy a new one and save us all the time.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Great idea, lets cheap out on the office fitout and have ethernet cables coming out of the desks instead of fitting sockets and using patch leads.

likw1d
Aug 21, 2003

While we're at it, why bother spending money on a email solution like office 355. Didn't verizon give us a free email? We can all share that!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Zamujasa posted:

The fact that these programs can't just run a downloader in the background and quietly install over their original directories when they're ready is a loving joke though, I can definitely agree on that point. There's no reason to re-confirm the installed path when the program already knows where it's being run from.

I've always seen it as an excuse for the developers to push additional crapware, joint offers, browser settings and trials for their other products onto you.

At least, that's what seems to be the case with Foxit PDF Reader, and the reason I am no longer using it. Downloading a separate installer again, running it and unchecking everything I don't want every time an update comes out is just annoying as all hell. If I wasn't interested in your other crap when I first installed, what makes you think I'd be interested now?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Smoke posted:

I've always seen it as an excuse for the developers to push additional crapware, joint offers, browser settings and trials for their other products onto you.

At least, that's what seems to be the case with Foxit PDF Reader, and the reason I am no longer using it. Downloading a separate installer again, running it and unchecking everything I don't want every time an update comes out is just annoying as all hell. If I wasn't interested in your other crap when I first installed, what makes you think I'd be interested now?

It can't be said enough: ninite.com

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I think DT needs to call Tony and let him know about this wonderful opportunity - it sounds like Tony and DT's former employer would be a match made in heaven. Then DT could take Tony's old job - sweet sweet Karma...

gently caress that, does anyone know if DAF is near him? I'd enjoy seeing the meltdown.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Smoke posted:

Ate you using the enterprise version of Foxit? We do and I don't recall having to ever do that. It's free, you just have to fill out a form on their site to download it. Or, get it from the PDQ Deploy package library, which you should already be doing for everything all the time because PDQ Deploy is the best.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
My coworker, supposedly a skilled system administrator, is on his fourth call to reset his password. This week.

:allears:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

likw1d posted:

While we're at it, why bother spending money on a email solution like office 355. Didn't verizon give us a free email? We can all share that!

If all we all share the same email account, then no one will have any excuse for not knowing what's going on!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ynglaur posted:

If all we all share the same email account, then no one will have any excuse for not knowing what's going on!

That is brilliant.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ynglaur posted:

That is very common, I think I recall Google having to do specific enhancements to Gmail to work with this efficiently.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Sirotan posted:

Ate you using the enterprise version of Foxit? We do and I don't recall having to ever do that. It's free, you just have to fill out a form on their site to download it. Or, get it from the PDQ Deploy package library, which you should already be doing for everything all the time because PDQ Deploy is the best.

The most recent update to Enterprise still tried to bundle in a trial of their editing software. And changed the shortcut to include flags to set file extension preferences to open their editors format in the reader requiring you to click on a prompt from Windows about which user you want to run it as the first time you run it.

Acrobat doesn't respect the duplex settings for my MFP so I'm still not going back.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thebigcow posted:

The most recent update to Enterprise still tried to bundle in a trial of their editing software. And changed the shortcut to include flags to set file extension preferences to open their editors format in the reader requiring you to click on a prompt from Windows about which user you want to run it as the first time you run it.

Acrobat doesn't respect the duplex settings for my MFP so I'm still not going back.

Foxit prompted me for an update just this morning and I didn't have to do anything besides click one button to get it to install.

:iiam:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Customer logic.

So I started a project about 2 weeks ago with a large customer with a large order.

Part of our process is that after I design something, I fill out a spreadsheet and a visio (for larger ones like this) and then send them to the customer for approval. Normally, after this approval, any changes require fees and significant rework. Youc an see what's coming.

so 2 weeks into the project, I have the environment about 7/10 done. Get an email.

:captainpop: "Hey, we need to change all the hostnames and some of the networks, can you do that?"

:viggo: "Sure, this will reset the project timeline back to zero and cause us to restart everything. Are you okay with that?"

:captainpop: "Sure, except for the part about resetting our project timeline to zero and restarting everything."

:viggo: :ughh: :tfrxmas: :flame:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Shades of Better Off Ted.

TED: But without Phil this meat project is not going to happen.
VERONICA: But I need the meat project.
TED: Then you need Phil.
VERONICA: But we can't use Phil.
TED: Then you can't have the meat project.
VERONICA: But I need the meat project.
TED: Then you need Phil.
VERONICA: But I can't use Phil.
TED: You prefer this to small talk?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did anyone else know HP have officially given up and are shouting to the world "don't buy our poo poo!"?

This is the journey of downloading firmware for a switch.

Search, activate!

So far so good, it found the product. Let's follow that link there.

Oh. Nevermind, good job I have a couple of different models anyway, let's try a different one.

Cool, now we're getting somewhere. I'll head on over to that Software Depot to grab this file and then I'll be able to get back on with my day.

Hmm, none of those really look like switches. I'll try searching.

gently caress you HP. I hope you get bought out by some poo poo Taiwanese OEM and are instantly forgotten.

Edit: Bonus GIF!

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 10, 2014

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Today I put together a quote for a new Dell with an i3 and 8GB of RAM, and with the Office license and markup it comes to like $850. This is to replace a 6+ year old computer running a COre 2 Duo and 32-bit Windows 7 on 3GB of RAM.

I am 99% sure I am going to get fought on this, as it's going to be "too expensive" and they're going to ask why the current computer isn't powerful enough since it's "not that old."

Well I mean, yeah, you could pay us at least $800 to reinstall the OS with a 64-bit version and order new RAM (I think it's DDR2, actually, so that may end up costing a lot) but I would much rather you just buy a new one and save us all the time.

When working with a client with a lot of older machines I will give quotes for a dell 9020 and one of the cheaper 3020's. It's still $700-750 for a 3020 with an ssd with 3 years of nbd support, but it looks a lot cheaper than $1100.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Did anyone else know HP have officially given up and are shouting to the world "don't buy our poo poo!"?

Yep. I'm just at the desktop support level, but I've managed to convince my boss that we should only ever buy Dells or Lenovos at this point, since they're the only two companies I know of that can be bothered to put all of their drivers into easily-obtained packages suitable for enterprise deployment.

HP's got that awful SoftPaq manager which ostensibly does the same thing, but it seems like random chance as to whether the device I'm trying to image will have a package on there or not.

Also, :lol:'ing at your cloud-to-butt extension.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Autocorrect. No, I didn't mean to type "Ips", I loving meant "IPs".

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
HP has had a terrible website since forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I created an HP Passport account in case the stuff was hidden behind a login for some reason, browsed around for a bit, got logged out and now the account doesn't exist :lol:

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

lampey posted:

When working with a client with a lot of older machines I will give quotes for a dell 9020 and one of the cheaper 3020's. It's still $700-750 for a 3020 with an ssd with 3 years of nbd support, but it looks a lot cheaper than $1100.
Just last week, I had to convince the bosses to spring for a new server-class machine. I spec'd out what I wanted and gave them prices for that and 2 more robust options. Imagine my shock when they went for the middle option. Doing this every time from now on.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Something in SSL/Apache/cUrl that's been loving with me.

Set up https on a vhost. We usually get a certificate and key for the server, and a chain file that goes back to the CA. Sometimes one hop, sometimes several. All normal.

SSLCertificateFile <foo>.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile <foo>.key
SSLCertificateChainFile <foo>.chain

Set it up for a different vhost. This one using its own self-signed CA for just one piece of software. If you do

SSLCertificateFile <foo>.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile <foo>.key
SSLCertificateChainFile cacert.pem

Apache doesn't complain. Browsers don't complain (depending on the browser, adding cacert.pem to the certificate store might not stop self-signed certificate errors). OpenSSL is fine with it. cUrl (run with --cacert cacert.pem) shits the bed royally. The documentation would need a good six months of work to drag it up to joke status. No idea what's gone wrong. Only when poking around in the apache docs do we see that we can specify the SSLCACertificateFile rather than having it as a one-item chain file.

Change that last line to

SSLCACertificateFile cacert.pem

And all of a sudden the poo poo that's driven me to drink... okay, to drink more over the past four days all starts working again.

I'm not particularly au fait with Apache, but if browsers work and openssl works, I'm going to assume things are right. If you're going to throw a loving error message, at least have docs that mention that the error message exists.

ocall
Dec 29, 2009
I just found out that our cell phone re-reimbursements are being slashed. That coupled with a dramatic increase in our health insurance premiums and a mediocre cost of living raise means that I am now making less per month than last year. :smith:

Griffon
May 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

I created an HP Passport account in case the stuff was hidden behind a login for some reason, browsed around for a bit, got logged out and now the account doesn't exist :lol:

If you think HP is a clusterfuck on the outside you should see it on the inside.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, they revamped a bunch of their support stuff in the last few months. It's even more of a dumpster fire than it was before, which I wouldn't have thought possible. I could once find what I was looking for eventually, but no longer.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ocall posted:

I just found out that our cell phone re-reimbursements are being slashed. That coupled with a dramatic increase in our health insurance premiums and a mediocre cost of living raise means that I am now making less per month than last year. :smith:

Man, it sure sucks that you won't be able to afford your cell phone without the reimbursement. Oh well, I am sure issues can wait until morning, or Monday, or when you get back from vacation.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vibur posted:

Just last week, I had to convince the bosses to spring for a new server-class machine. I spec'd out what I wanted and gave them prices for that and 2 more robust options. Imagine my shock when they went for the middle option. Doing this every time from now on.

Some people needed some laptops, so I configured the absolute most powerful Dell Latitude with all the bells & whistles, coming in at around $2000. I expected the guy to balk at the price and then I'd hem and haw and take off some things and get it down to $1400 or so. Anyway I gave him the $2000 quote and he was like "OK get it." :unsmith:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, they revamped a bunch of their support stuff in the last few months. It's even more of a dumpster fire than it was before, which I wouldn't have thought possible. I could once find what I was looking for eventually, but no longer.

If I hadn't written off HP years ago for reasons like this, I would be really mad that they're obviously spending so much money to update the appearance of their site (it's got that new ubiquitous Bootstrap/Knockout/Web3.0/Whatever look to it) but not a goddamn dime on actually making it do anything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also WTF am I doing :words:ing about lovely laptop purchases when I just got a :yotj: into a senior admin role.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Man, it sure sucks that you won't be able to afford your cell phone without the reimbursement. Oh well, I am sure issues can wait until morning, or Monday, or when you get back from vacation.

Emptyquotin' dis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocall
Dec 29, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

To make it even worse, we don't even have a formal on-call rotation. I literally could be called at any time. Hell, I got called about a minor issue when i was at my brother's wedding reception(I didn't recognize the number).