Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

I guess you like seeing people suffer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baudin posted:

I like seeing canadians suffer.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

I like seeing canadians suffer.

Gee, thanks.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baudin posted:

Gee, thanks.

As a tax paying, productive member of canadian society, you should be celebrating every moment that another canadian discovers moral hazard.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Buskas posted:

Teck doesn't own the Tumbler Ridge mine. You're thinking of Walter Energy.

Walter bought all the North BC stuff from Western Canadian Coal in 2010 when met coal contract prices were at or close to $300 a ton. Western Coal could be had for .50/share back at the bottom of the GFC and Walter paid $12/share for them a few years later. Still my favourite all time investment. Western Coal was a relatively high cost producer and really needed high prices to sustain them. They certainly could not be profitable in today's pricing environment. Walter is very poorly run and if you need any evidence, just check the share price.

Teck Resources is a different company. They are fantastic operators and one of the few Met Coal players around (and maybe the only in Canada) that can produce profitably with today's coal prices. Teck will be fine and at today's share price represents fantastic value. The market never gets Teck right. Never. They were wrong in the GFC when everyone thought they were going to go bust due to the Fording acquisition debt (turns out banks love to loan to assets, go figure). $3.50 TCK.B is my second favourite investment of all time.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

welp

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Cultural Imperial posted:

As a tax paying, productive member of canadian society, you should be celebrating every moment that another canadian discovers moral hazard.

As if all humans don't fall for moral hazard on a regular basis, including the Chinese, Russians, Americans, and Euros. People doing stupid things because they're stupid isn't new.

I also don't have enough saved up to property take advantage of a stock market collapse - need to start working on more files/saving my pennies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Secondary suites are like a new contentious issue for Calgary?? Jesus what a poo poo hole. The entire oil industry doesn't need regulations, the environment doesn't need regulations, pipelines and railways don't need much regulatin' either, but dear god I want the government enforcing who's living in houses to the fullest extend, I mean what if immigrants move in? What about my STREET PARKING?!?! One moment we're a middle class neighbourhood, the next there's a university student and a Filipino family living in people's basements and parking on the street where I'd normally put my quad trailer!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

Secondary suites are like a new contentious issue for Calgary?? Jesus what a poo poo hole. The entire oil industry doesn't need regulations, the environment doesn't need regulations, pipelines and railways don't need much regulatin' either, but dear god I want the government enforcing who's living in houses to the fullest extend, I mean what if immigrants move in? What about my STREET PARKING?!?! One moment we're a middle class neighbourhood, the next there's a university student and a Filipino family living in people's basements and parking on the street where I'd normally put my quad trailer!

You'll hear no argument from me. It's loving stupid, and the whole "but what about my parking???" argument deserves to die in a fire. It really stings that these loving whiny bastards are talking about their god-given right to park on the street that gets paid for (partly) by the property tax I pay on the parking stall I literally have to buy if I want a place to park my car.

Not to mention that people in secondary suites are going to be better behaved than people who rent or own a whole place, because the landlord lives in the same house and will get pissed off if they do bad things.

It's the dumbest goddamn argument ever. It's also a massive public safety issue, because with the incredibly low vacancy rates, there's tonnes of illegal secondary suites that are unsafe, with tenants often having little legal recourse to fix the situation, and the city often can't/won't do anything about it because it's better to have a really lovely place to live than none at all.

I wish more people in Calgary were actual conservatives -- the sort who believe the government needs to gently caress off out of our lives as much as possible -- because then it would be a non-issue. If you want to make a secondary suite in your own property, it's your own business if it meets safety code. As with most other municipal issues, though, we see that the people of Calgary are largely a bunch of useless loving busybodies who are only nominally "conservative" because they're cheap as gently caress.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 9, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Baudin posted:

Have you read any of the thread? He's a sociopath.

Saltin posted:

Walter bought all the North BC stuff from Western Canadian Coal in 2010 when met coal contract prices were at or close to $300 a ton. Western Coal could be had for .50/share back at the bottom of the GFC and Walter paid $12/share for them a few years later. Still my favourite all time investment. Western Coal was a relatively high cost producer and really needed high prices to sustain them. They certainly could not be profitable in today's pricing environment. Walter is very poorly run and if you need any evidence, just check the share price.

Teck Resources is a different company. They are fantastic operators and one of the few Met Coal players around (and maybe the only in Canada) that can produce profitably with today's coal prices. Teck will be fine and at today's share price represents fantastic value. The market never gets Teck right. Never. They were wrong in the GFC when everyone thought they were going to go bust due to the Fording acquisition debt (turns out banks love to loan to assets, go figure). $3.50 TCK.B is my second favourite investment of all time.

Confirming Teck knows what's up and is the only currently profitable met coal co, but you also don't know just how close the market was to being exactly right about the fording deal. It almost broke them and while they're relatively cheap now they've never recovered the value they lost pre gfc. They had to sell assets (as in forced by the banks) and only in the last couple years got clear enough of the debt to look at acquisitions again.

Sheritt is also profitable in coal but they do low-grade mine mouth thermal coal that's only valuable because it's a few km from the power plants it supplies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

You seem unusually gleeful about something that pretty much everyone in the industry recognizes as a temporary disruption. The next two to three months will likely continue to be bad, but no one I've talked to, in or out of the industry, seems particularly worried about the issue over the long term. But, by all means, continue to look at spot prices and masturbate with self-satisfaction if that's what does it for you.

:nws: It's going to be okay! :nws:

Boardwalk Empire clip, violence at the very end

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Confirming Teck knows what's up and is the only currently profitable met coal co, but you also don't know just how close the market was to being exactly right about the fording deal. It almost broke them and while they're relatively cheap now they've never recovered the value they lost pre gfc. They had to sell assets (as in forced by the banks) and only in the last couple years got clear enough of the debt to look at acquisitions again.

No debate Fording almost broke them, but they were able to issue quite a bit of debt based on existing assets (albeit at high rate) to make the bridge loan payment on the Fording debt. As you say, they are out from underneath that now and have an extremely healthy balance sheet. Fording was a great strategic move but the timing was absolutely horrible. They also did surpass pre-GFC valuation in late 2010, but it's been a steady decline to today's price based on the meta of the resource market.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rime posted:

What makes you think that the tar sands are different from any other resource industry (mining, pulp & paper, etc) and that they won't just mothball operations that are losing money until the price of the commodity recovers?

Oil is a bit different due to the need within society for it. (pulp & paper died due to computers) and mining companies tend to stock pile beyond rare earth metals. The oil will keep pumping but the perks will go away as will the salaries to get it out of the ground.

It's the perks and salaries going away that hurts the economy.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

sbaldrick posted:

Counterpoint - every time a gallon of gas goes down a penny, it adds a billion dollars to discretionary spending in the US. It's not all bad for Canada either. Low oil prices suck if you're in the oil business, but you can be sure as poo poo businesses that rely heavily on energy are rubbing their hands together Monty Burns style right now. Air Canada's stock price has almost doubled since mid-October, and that ain't because Air Canada stopped sucking.

Saltin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 9, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah honestly I'd say cheap oil would be overall good for the canadian economy. High fuel prices hurt every single sector other than oil, low oil prices lower the cost of business for just about everything else, from average joe consumers to agriculture to manufacturing to of course transport. Of course high oil isn't even good for the Canadian economy because we barely tax that poo poo, relatively little "trickles down" to the rest of the economy. The sooner the canadian oil industry and housing bubble dies the sooner we can hopefully actually invest in a real economy.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Saltin posted:

Counterpoint - every time a gallon of gas goes down a penny, it adds a billion dollars to discretionary spending in the US. It's not all bad for Canada either.
I'd be interested in knowing where you got that $1 billion dollar figure. Not saying it's BS or anything, but I wonder if it has taken the slumping CAD$ into consideration. Because the CAD$'s slide sure as heck isn't encouraging Canadians to do more cross-border shopping.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

melon cat posted:

I'd be interested in knowing where you got that $1 billion dollar figure. Not saying it's BS or anything, but I wonder if it has taken the slumping CAD$ into consideration. Because the CAD$'s slide sure as heck isn't encouraging Canadians to do more cross-border shopping.

You're vastly, vastly overestimating the impact of Canadian daytrippers on the American economy as a whole.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

melon cat posted:

I'm not sure what you mean about the slumping CAD and cross border shopping? The US won't miss Canadian shoppers in any significant way. I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at which was - here's the impact of cheap gas on the US economy, a similar impact will occur in Canada, but scale would be different. So I mentioned it to show the impact cheaper gas can have on an economy.

As for where it came from, just google "gasoline penny billion dollars", it is mentioned all over the place as a metric and seems to be well accepted. This article focuses on the opposite effect (money coming out of the economy due to increase) but the principal is the same

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/03/the-110-effect-what-higher-gas-prices-could-really-do-to-the-economy/254386/

quote:

American consumers purchased 172.2 billion gallons of gasoline in 2011, spending just over $400 billion, excluding federal and state taxes. Each 50 cent increase in the price of gasoline adds almost $60 billion to annual consumer bills

Saltin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 9, 2014

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Legalizing secondary suites would actually reduce vacancy rates.

Suddenly all the illegal suites are going to have to be brought up to code and a large majority arent.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Whiteycar posted:

Legalizing secondary suites would actually reduce vacancy rates.

Suddenly all the illegal suites are going to have to be brought up to code and a large majority arent.

I'm not sure why you think either of those things are true. (speaking specifically of how legalizing secondary suites would decrease vacancy rates, and why anyone would bother bringing a secondary suite - that they've been running illegally - up to code).

e: the numbers quoted for vacancy rates are the CMHC primary market survey which explicitly does not include secondary suites or condominium apartments.

Baudin fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 10, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I Wonder what tertiary suites would look like.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Baudin posted:

I'm not sure why you think either of those things are true. (speaking specifically of how legalizing secondary suites would decrease vacancy rates, and why anyone would bother bringing a secondary suite - that they've been running illegally - up to code).

e: the numbers quoted for vacancy rates are the CMHC primary market survey which explicitly does not include secondary suites or condominium apartments.

Well I didnt know that OK.

But I learned something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Victoria did the whole suite legalization thing after decades of it just happening anyways and not being enforced. It resulted in landlords treating their tenants a bit better because the tenant didn't fear losing their place to live so much for complaints. Barely half the existing "illegal" units were made legal. The code was so strict and the red-tape so thick it was often financial suicide to try to make your suite legal. If you're building a new house it's worth it to go fully legal, but if you have an old existing suite in an old house you're opening up a huge can of worms. My friend lived in the basement suite of a house her mom owned and ended up spending about 100k making the suite legal as one thing led to another. Half of them were fairly legitimate, but the other half were extremely subjective things.

There's a real big push in the more progressive parts of urban planning right now to sort of "learn from the slums" to address affordability. Basically it's healthy and even critical for cities to have places with very low regulations and standards where people and business can afford the price of entry. Instead of a bible sized list of bylaws and regulations and months or years of red tape to build anything, just set the most basic rules for health and safety and let the community grow organically. In many cases in the last decade governments in various "developing nations" and south america have attacked their slums, done things to try to "solve" them. Generally it involves bulldozing them all and moving the displaced residents to what richer people would consider "nice" and "orderly" communities. This is extremely expensive, disrupts lives, and generally ends in failure. Where the government simply provides resources for the shanty towns, the community takes care of it them selves, they actually pull them selves out of poverty. You spend the money to install reliable water and electric hook ups for a slum, you've just done them a huge favour and they take care of the rest. Poverty goes down, crime goes down, health goes up. You provide them building materials and educate them on how to build safer structures and the whole area upgrades its self. Over time the community keeps raising its standards as the locals can afford to do so them selves or help is provided for them. The place slowly transforms from a miserable slum into a proud working class neighbourhood. They get by fine without parking minimums or rules about their front lawns

Now no one is going to zone for "corrugated metal shanty town" in Canada, but I often think our zoning and building bylaws are overly strict, almost elitist or paternal. Give people some land or an experimental neighbourhood, drastically cut the regulations and let people have a place build homes and business. Is your building a structural death trap or a fire hazard? Nope? Go hog wild. Don't worry about aesthetic bullshit like setbacks or expensive luxuries like parking. Just the building code and some extremely simple zoning bylaws. Small lots along narrow streets. It will be a place no one middle class wants to live, but it will be better than living in a horrible illegal basement suite, or the the streets.

Then again a style very similar to that works great for japan. People would flip out in north america and say it's a cramped ugly 3rd world slum if they saw a typical Japanese neighbourhood. But they are affordable and grow very organically with little red tape. The zoning system in japan is amazingly simple, generally understandable by a lay-person and mostly just a list of what you can't do, rather than the few things you can do. For instance a neighbourhood might be zoned in such a way that basically says "2:1 density maximum, no heavy industry" and that's it. You want to build a house you build a house. You want to build a convenience store with your residence above you do it. You want parking you build parking, you don't you don't. Want a yard, then don't cover your lot with building. Want a bigger yard then join together 2 lots.

Narrow streets, small lots, little to no setback requirements, very basic regulations and red tape. You might say it's ugly but western residential aesthetics are extremely expensive, both directly to individuals and collectively in terms of the massive cost of all the roads/highways/utilities needed to support it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's not at all ugly, it's cozy. Great effort post, thanks Baronjutter.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Narrow streets like that would be pretty brutal in the winter.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DrBox posted:

Narrow streets like that would be pretty brutal in the winter.

How so? Japan gets snow and they seem to manage just fine with narrow streets as the dominant urban form. I don't know how they deal with snow but I don't know how anyone deals with snow because :victoria: but I'm sure they have it figured out, I'm sure japan doesn't shut down when it gets snow I hear the same thing re: bike infastructure. "What about snow?? Snowplows are too big for bike lanes!" they just have smaller plows.

Speaking of narrow roads and north americans being idiots, a big reason for our ridiculously wide streets are fire department's dick waving contests. No one wants to argue with fire department heros and they all constantly want bigger and bigger fire trucks. Then they demand traffic engineers have larger and larger minimums. Fire departments are becoming one of the worst forces for maintaining the space planning of sprawl and everything being car-scaled. It's not even car-scaled, it's giant fire truck scaled. They also apparently don't like to reverse so they demand room to turn their toys around as well. They have fire trucks in europe and japan, they are just smaller and urban planners don't let fire chiefs dictate road design to fit bigger and bigger toys.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I Wonder what tertiary suites would look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKf08vWTkKA

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

How so? Japan gets snow and they seem to manage just fine with narrow streets as the dominant urban form. I don't know how they deal with snow but I don't know how anyone deals with snow because :victoria: but I'm sure they have it figured out, I'm sure japan doesn't shut down when it gets snow I hear the same thing re: bike infastructure. "What about snow?? Snowplows are too big for bike lanes!" they just have smaller plows.

The location in that photo (Tokyo) gets an average of 11 cm of snow per year, Edmonton gets an average of 124 cm per year.

I'm very interested in what Hokkaidō's streets look like:

e: you should check out Edmonton around 2 am when all the snow removal crews are out to remove tons of snow from the middle of the streets.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baronjutter posted:

Were you being willfully obtuse? What your picture shows is the last week of November in Montreal.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think there's room for compromise between the hideous sprawl of North American suburbia and the tiny alleys of Asian cities, where nutty drivers on scooters whiz past you at alarming speeds*.

* I didn't actually find evidence that there are a lot of scooter-pedestrian accidents in, say, Taipei, but scooters are involved in a large plurality of traffic accidents.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahaha yeah, I love how "oh look those streets handle 10cm of snow PERFECTLY fine!"

In most Canadian cities, lanes are wider than normal because you need 2-3 extra feet to put the snow that's being plowed to the side of the road. Even Vancouver has way narrower lanes than the rest of the country because it's not needed there.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Revelstoke, which receives 60-100 cumulative feet of snow a year, and dumps upwards of ten on the ground in a week at times, has normal sized streets. Many of them are vancouver avenue sized, even. They just get narrower in the winter so you drive slowly and carefully and the idiots keep the towing services in business. :science:

They have mini-plows that do the sidewalks, like the big rear end ones but sidewalk sized. Since these exist, they solve the bike lane question in cities that never get snow but have idiots who live there, such as vancouver. Just hand them a picture.

Reading opinions about snow and it's percieved impacts, from most Canadians, is hilarious. I firmly believe that most of the country has never experienced more than a foot or two at once in their lives, and if dumped into interior BC would not survive the winter.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 10, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
What's Vancouver's population again? 35 million?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Rime posted:

Reading opinions about snow and it's percieved impacts, from most Canadians, is hilarious. I firmly believe that most of the country has never experienced more than a foot or two at once in their lives, and if dumped into interior BC would not survive the winter.

Pretty sure the Windsor - Quebec corridor gets more snow than that. BC is not most of the country.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

FrozenVent posted:

Pretty sure the Windsor - Quebec corridor gets more snow than that. BC is not most of the country.

The average annual snowfall for Windsor is a piddly 50 inches over 44 days. I stand by my statement that when faced with 3-4 feet of snowfall in two days, most Canadians would have a panic attack and act like Floridians. :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11283875/Bank-of-America-sees-50-oil-as-Opec-dies.html

quote:

"Our biggest worry is the end of the liquidity cycle. The Fed is done. The reach for yield that we have seen since 2009 is going into reverse”, said Bank of America.
The Opec oil cartel no longer exists in any meaningful sense and crude prices will slump to $50 a barrel over coming months as market forces shake out the weakest producers, Bank of America has warned.

Revolutionary changes sweeping the world’s energy industry will drive down the price of liquefied natural gas (LNG), creating a “multi-year” glut and a mucher cheaper source of gas for Europe.

Francisco Blanch, the bank’s commodity chief, said Opec is “effectively dissolved” after it failed to stabilize prices at its last meeting. “The consequences are profound and long-lasting,“ he said.

The free market will now set the global cost of oil, leading to a new era of wild price swings and disorderly trading that benefits only the Mid-East petro-states with deepest pockets such as Saudi Arabia. If so, the weaker peripheral members such as Venizuela and Nigeria are being thrown to the wolves.

The bank said in its year-end report that at least 15pc of US shale producers are losing money at current prices, and more than half will be under water if US crude falls below $55. The high-cost producers in the Permian basin will be the first to “feel the pain” and may soon have to cut back on production.

The claims pit Bank of America against its arch-rival Citigroup, which insists that the US shale industrial is far more resilent than widely supposed, with marginal costs for existing rigs nearer $40, and much of its output hedged on the futures markets.

Bank of America said the current slump will choke off shale projects in Argentina and Mexico, and will force retrenchment in Canadian oil sands and some of Russia’s remote fields. The major oil companies will have to cut back on projects with a break-even cost below $80 for Brent crude.

It will take six months or so to whittle away the 1m barrels a day of excess oil on the market – with US crude falling to $50 - given that supply and demand are both “inelastic” in the short-run. That will create the beginnings of the next shortage. “We expect a pretty sharp rebound to the high $80s or even $90 in the second half of next year,” said Sabine Schels, the bank’s energy expert.

Mrs Schels said the global market for (LNG) will “change drastically” in 2015, going into a “bear market” lasting years as a surge of supply from Australia compounds the global effects of the US gas saga.

If the forecast is correct, the LNG flood could have powerful political effects, giving Europe a source of mass supply that can undercut pipeline gas from Russia. The EU already has enough LNG terminals to cover most of its gas needs. It has not been able to use this asset as a geostrategic bargaining chip with the Kremlin because LGN itself has been in scarce supply, mostly diverted to Japan and Korea. Much of Europe may not need Russian gas at all within a couple of years.

Bank of America said the oil price crash is worth $1 trillion of stimulus for the global economy, equal to a $730bn “tax cut” in 2015. Yet the effects are complex, with winners and losers. The benefits diminish the further it falls. Academic studies suggest that oil crashes can ultimately turn negative if they to trigger systemic financial crises in commodity states.

Barnaby Martin, the bank’s European credit chief, said world asset markets may face a stress test as the US Federal Reserve starts to tighten afters year of largesse. “Our biggest worry is the end of the liquidity cycle. The Fed is done and it is preparing to raise rates. The reach for yield that we have seen since 2009 is going into reverse”, he said.

Mr Martin flagged warnings by William Dudley, the head of the New York Fed, that the US authorities had tightened too gently in 2004 and might do better to adopt the strategy of 1994 when they raised rates fast and hard, sending tremors through global bond markets.

Bank of America said quantitative easing in Europe and Japan will cover just 35pc of the global stimulus lost as the Fed pulls back, creating a treacherous hiatus for markets. It warned that the full effect of Fed tapering had yet to be felt. From now on the markets cannot expected to be rescued every time there is a squall. “The threshold for the Fed to return to QE will be high. This is why we believe we are entering a phase in which bad news will be bad news and volatility will likely rise,” it said.

What is clear is that the world has become addicted to central bank stimulus. Bank of America said 56pc of global GDP is currently supported by zero interest rates, and so are 83pc of the free-floating equities on global bourses. Half of all government bonds in the world yield less that 1pc. Roughly 1.4bn people are experiencing negative rates in one form or another.

These are astonishing figures, evidence of a 1930s-style depression, albeit one that is still contained. Nobody knows what will happen as the Fed tries break out of the stimulus trap, including Fed officials themselves.

just fyi

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Saltin posted:

No debate Fording almost broke them, but they were able to issue quite a bit of debt based on existing assets (albeit at high rate) to make the bridge loan payment on the Fording debt. As you say, they are out from underneath that now and have an extremely healthy balance sheet. Fording was a great strategic move but the timing was absolutely horrible. They also did surpass pre-GFC valuation in late 2010, but it's been a steady decline to today's price based on the meta of the resource market.

Gross market value passed pre-gfc but they were diluted to poo poo by a big equity issue in nearly the bottom of the market, so share price never made it past around half of their pre-gfc peak. Going from memory as I'm not at a computer as I write this. Lot of value destroyed. It was the right call because otherwise equity would have had a goose egg, but they've never come close to recovering the value.

sbaldrick posted:

Oil is a bit different due to the need within society for it. (pulp & paper died due to computers) and mining companies tend to stock pile beyond rare earth metals. The oil will keep pumping but the perks will go away as will the salaries to get it out of the ground.

What

Mining companies don't generally stockpile. Anything they have in 'stockpile' is usually there because it's low grade and barely worth processing or because the deposit structure demands it. Mining companies don't dig poo poo up and just sit on it because that eats working capital. In a bad price environment the thing you shepherd most carefully is working cap.

The relatively low unit cost of oil sands resulting from the huge volume is what will drive them to be unlikely to shut down. Much of oil sands investment is up front infrastructure, much more analogous to a large open pit mine and smelter than to traditional oil and gas development where capital is generally incremental and unit costs are higher but with lower investment per unit production.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Gross market value passed pre-gfc but they were diluted to poo poo by a big equity issue in nearly the bottom of the market, so share price never made it past around half of their pre-gfc peak. Going from memory as I'm not at a computer as I write this. Lot of value destroyed. It was the right call because otherwise equity would have had a goose egg, but they've never come close to recovering the value.

Shares were $61.79 on Dec 31st 2010, which is the highest they've ever been. I'm talking about common shares here - TCK.B, which is what gets traded in volume on the exchange. The reason they were so high is that they were printing money due to the Fording acquisition (met coal contracts were at or approaching $300/ton).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What

Mining companies don't generally stockpile. Anything they have in 'stockpile' is usually there because it's low grade and barely worth processing or because the deposit structure demands it. Mining companies don't dig poo poo up and just sit on it because that eats working capital. In a bad price environment the thing you shepherd most carefully is working cap.

The relatively low unit cost of oil sands resulting from the huge volume is what will drive them to be unlikely to shut down. Much of oil sands investment is up front infrastructure, much more analogous to a large open pit mine and smelter than to traditional oil and gas development where capital is generally incremental and unit costs are higher but with lower investment per unit production.

Add logistics issues to the list of reasons (see prairie grain farmers vs rail last year for an example) but otherwise you're right in that commodity producers don't usually sit on a huge stock pile. Easier to throttle production and have it sit in the ground where storage is free if you're waiting on the markets.

Most people would be surprised by how little storage space the average mine / commodity handling facility has. If there's any storage space in the system, it's usually at the end user or transformation plant; and even then these guys usually only stockpile for contingency / logistic buffer. If they want to get in on a good market, they buy futures.