Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I think you mentioned this idea before, but if you have a login to a cable subscription (throw a few bucks to someone who has one?) , you can watch Raw live on USA Network's website. I tested it yesterday and it worked. I guess for an HTPC, you'd just need a bookmark or some way to open a browser in full screen mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
As a non-cable-haver I find that Hulu Plus is worth the 8 bucks a month to me and my wife, despite the fact that it has ads. We catch what we can live with the antenna and use Hulu Plus as a de-facto DVR. Gets us all our broadcast shows minus CBS (gently caress CBS who cares) and some cable stuff like @Midnight in a decent enough form. If I was already paying for cable and all those boxes and poo poo I probably wouldn't bother.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Don't pay for Hulu Plus. A few clicks every day and you can redeem Bing rewards points for a month of Hulu Plus. You don't even have to click the links just search and click through the related links.

https://www.bing.com/rewards/redeem/000100000007

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is quad shield coax necessary for digital cable (if I go back) or an OTA antenna? I think I'm going to replace most of the coax runs in my house and do all of the home runs to a spot in the attic instead of to the telco demarc box. I'm saving like $13 so it's not a huge price difference but every dollar I can save helps, since I'm cutting cable to save money.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PuTTY riot posted:

Is quad shield coax necessary for digital cable (if I go back) or an OTA antenna? I think I'm going to replace most of the coax runs in my house and do all of the home runs to a spot in the attic instead of to the telco demarc box. I'm saving like $13 so it's not a huge price difference but every dollar I can save helps, since I'm cutting cable to save money.

It really depends on how strong local OTA signals are around your house (TV, cell, etc).
I've seen place where FM tends to worm its way in almost no matter what, although you are generally right on top of a tower for that. Cell signals can be an issue for cable since they overlap (cell uses 600 and 700 mHz, cable uses 5 - 1000 mHz and if there's any leakage hello loss of service).

For 13 dollars I'd be running quad. It's cheap insurance. Don't cheap out on the connectors either, a bad connection (it takes surprisingly little for it to be bad) will gut any wire's performance no matter how fancy.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PuTTY riot posted:

Will it make a difference, maybe not. But the price difference is so low you might as well do it once the best way. You better be putting compression connectors on that poo poo also, dont wanna see some loving screw on or crimps.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'll spring for the quad shield then, I didn't think about cell towers and there's definitely one maybe half a mile away.

do these compression connectors look alright? they look identical to what the cable guy used for my internet. I already have the klein compression tool from home depot

http://amzn.com/B00B8CISSU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PuTTY riot posted:

I'll spring for the quad shield then, I didn't think about cell towers and there's definitely one maybe half a mile away.

do these compression connectors look alright? they look identical to what the cable guy used for my internet. I already have the klein compression tool from home depot

Looks fine

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

PuTTY riot posted:

Those are excellent. They maintain their ground connection exceedingly well, even if not fully tightened (please fully tighten your connectors).

What are you using as a stripper/prep tool?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Quad shield won't do jack for an ota run anyways. Helps with digital cable or sat or an excessively long run.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Quad shield is unnecessary in most cases but it's cheap insurance. Even with OTA if you have signal ingress (say, channel 6 is hitting the antenna and the cable at the same time) they wind up being out of phase. I don't think cell or FM overlap with ATSC so that's a plus. Either way quad is cheap insurance and well worth not having to re-run a cable a few years down the line (gently caress attics).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Recently cut cable and switched to a mohu leaf 50. The signal is good in my area but I am having some problems getting it to work with my home cabling setup. The cable for internet and cable tv runs into the house at the basement and every other cable throughout the house also ends there. Of course the antenna doesn't get a good signal in the basement but I want it on all the TVs.

When I connect it to a jack upstairs I guess the cable run length is too long because I can't get signal to a tv connected to the other end in the basement ( for testing). I have a ton of splitters but no matter the setup I cannot get antenna signal in any other way than direct connection to a tv. I assume my problem is amplification but I do not know how to address it. Any help would be useful and I can draw a diagram if asked.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bigass Moth posted:

Recently cut cable and switched to a mohu leaf 50. The signal is good in my area but I am having some problems getting it to work with my home cabling setup. The cable for internet and cable tv runs into the house at the basement and every other cable throughout the house also ends there. Of course the antenna doesn't get a good signal in the basement but I want it on all the TVs.

When I connect it to a jack upstairs I guess the cable run length is too long because I can't get signal to a tv connected to the other end in the basement ( for testing). I have a ton of splitters but no matter the setup I cannot get antenna signal in any other way than direct connection to a tv. I assume my problem is amplification but I do not know how to address it. Any help would be useful and I can draw a diagram if asked.

Yeah, I don't think a little antenna works like that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
A preamp at the antenna might help. If I'm understanding correctly the antenna works OK hooked straight to a TV? assuming sufficient signal strength at the antenna a preamp will offset losses in the cable and splits.

If the signal is already low enough that it's right next to the noise floor the preamp may not do much and you will need a larger, higher gain antenna. How many TV s are you trying to run?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Those antennas are designed to be hooked to one tv directly. If you want to run multiple tv's i recommend a attic or roof mount antenna and a preamp.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Wouldn't a distribution amp help more than a preamp?

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...istribution+amp

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Depends on his area. If he has very strong signals coming in and shorter than 50ft to the tv then he can use a distribution amp. If you have some weak signals or longer runs get a preamp.

Thats how i understand it. I use preamp running to 4 tuners.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Thanks guys, we're only using it for local news so I don't mind having it hooked up directly to the TV. It beats driving myself crazy not getting any signals at least!

In case anyone is interested in a Leaf 50, purely anecdotal, but with a cheapo RCA flat antenna our bedroom tv got 7 channels of varying quality, and the Leaf in the exact same position got 25 (including lame stuff like shopping and church channels) and a much much better quality picture.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I checked with some of those websites that tell you what your signal strength should be, but I don't trust them. I'm 17 miles as the crow flies from the broadcast towers in a first floor condo. They say I should be fine with a regular antenna, but is going up to an amplified one a bad idea? I'm thinking the Amazon Basics version.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

I checked with some of those websites that tell you what your signal strength should be, but I don't trust them. I'm 17 miles as the crow flies from the broadcast towers in a first floor condo. They say I should be fine with a regular antenna, but is going up to an amplified one a bad idea? I'm thinking the Amazon Basics version.

If signal strength is too strong you can overdrive a tuner and cause signal problems, thats not likely to happen on a little square antenna though so yea, get the amplified if you can. Worst case you can always unplug the amplifier power. Most of the little square ones are even usb powered if you have a usb port on your tv.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I asked in the HD TV thread but it can be asked here:

What are the general consensus on TCL TVs?

Specifically, I am looking at their new Roku TVs but I wanted to hear opinions on their actual TV set up since I already am happy with Rokus.

http://www.tclusa.com/roku/

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone know if I can use a TiVo roamio with an antenna and watch live tv on the remote mini TiVo boxes? Been thinking about cutting cable in the summer, and that would be the easiest solution if it worked.

Now I will just have to find a decent antenna that works with CBS in the Chicag suburbs. There is an old antenna in my attic that gets everything but CBS. I am kinda hoping one of the leaf antennas work. Especially since I can hide it behind a small quilt I have hanging above my TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Orvin posted:

Anyone know if I can use a TiVo roamio with an antenna and watch live tv on the remote mini TiVo boxes? Been thinking about cutting cable in the summer, and that would be the easiest solution if it worked.

Now I will just have to find a decent antenna that works with CBS in the Chicag suburbs. There is an old antenna in my attic that gets everything but CBS. I am kinda hoping one of the leaf antennas work. Especially since I can hide it behind a small quilt I have hanging above my TV.

Have you tried simply reaiming your attic antenna?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Have you tried simply reaiming your attic antenna?

Is there anything I need to know, other than spin it in place and hope for better results?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Orvin posted:

Is there anything I need to know, other than spin it in place and hope for better results?

You can use tvfool and antennaweb to get an idea of where its located based on your home. Then use your phones compass or a real compass to aim it. But ultimately yea, make a mark of where its aimed now so you can always go back, and try rotating it and also try tilting it forward or backward.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Orvin posted:

The problem with CBS is it is VHF. The antenna is prob only UHF. They make combo antennas. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Free.../dp/B003L76BJS/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Sleepstupid posted:

The problem with CBS is it is VHF. The antenna is prob only UHF. They make combo antennas. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Free.../dp/B003L76BJS/

I was about to post something about this... is there a good combo vhf/uhf antenna that's a bit more... inconspicuous? I'd like one that's indoors. Thanks!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Orvin posted:

My parents live in the suburbs of NYC and it took me quite a while to get CBS by adjusting the antenna, but it worked eventually. I am talking the slightest adjustment made the difference between getting the signal and not at all. Probably because it has to face the Empire state building I assume. Anyway theirs is on the roof so to make my life easier I just had my wife look at the TV and yell up to me when CBS showed up.

I would imagine being in the attic could block the signal a bit too. Is there a particular reason people don't want them outside? I can't imagine it's an appearance thing; everyone on their block (and ours) has all sorts of antennas and satellite dishes sticking out of their houses.

edit: all the FCC stuff says they should be getting channel 13 (PBS) but they don't. It says it should be full-strength, too. Since I am going to be by their home for Christmas, is there anything I can do to fix this? Why would they get channel 21 (a PBS off-shoot) but not regular PBS?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 15, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I would imagine being in the attic could block the signal a bit too. Is there a particular reason people don't want them outside? I can't imagine it's an appearance thing; everyone on their block (and ours) has all sorts of antennas and satellite dishes sticking out of their houses.

Appearance is a concern, but most people are too lazy to remove an unused antenna or dish :v:

Roof or mast mounting is also a lot more time consuming and potentially dangerous. Also you have to ground an external antenna, at least if you want your house to not burn down if lightning hits the antenna.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Grounding a roof antenna isn't that big of a deal, just mount it near where your cable line comes in for internet and tie into the ground.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Grounding a roof antenna isn't that big of a deal, just mount it near where your cable line comes in for internet and tie into the ground.

True but most people don't want to fuss with it if they can just throw it up in the attic.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Panty Saluter posted:

Appearance is a concern, but most people are too lazy to remove an unused antenna or dish :v:

Roof or mast mounting is also a lot more time consuming and potentially dangerous. Also you have to ground an external antenna, at least if you want your house to not burn down if lightning hits the antenna.

OK I did not do this and do not want my parents house to burn down, especially since I did this as a favor to them.

Its' a $40 Wineguard outdoor antenna. What exactly do I have to ground? I would have thought the instructions would have mentioned it but it did not.

The coaxial was already ran all around the outside and inside of their house from when they had cable TV. Near the splitter outside (where the FiOS box remains) I can probably run a wire to the water pipe to obtain a ground. But by that point, it's fairly far away from the antenna and the signal has been split. Does that matter? Can I just connect the coaxial to ground over there and it will be OK?

:ohdear:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

OK I did not do this and do not want my parents house to burn down, especially since I did this as a favor to them.

Its' a $40 Wineguard outdoor antenna. What exactly do I have to ground? I would have thought the instructions would have mentioned it but it did not.

The coaxial was already ran all around the outside and inside of their house from when they had cable TV. Near the splitter outside (where the FiOS box remains) I can probably run a wire to the water pipe to obtain a ground. But by that point, it's fairly far away from the antenna and the signal has been split. Does that matter? Can I just connect the coaxial to ground over there and it will be OK?

:ohdear:

You should have a grounding block outside in line with the antenna wire coming into the house.

One of the screw terminals on it should have a copper ground wire attached from it to your homes common ground, if your bios box is grounded you can tie into that.

A water pipe isn't allowed anymore thought it used to be. You are probably still safe doing it assuming you know the water pipe is metal all the way through to the ground. Also keep in mind if a future repair is done and metal pipe is replaced with flex or pvc or something you will no longer have ground.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 16, 2014

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Any good placeshifter solutions that has a built in HDTV tuner? I notice that slingbox discontinued their boxes with tuners and hdhomerun only streams on the local area network.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Any good placeshifter solutions that has a built in HDTV tuner? I notice that slingbox discontinued their boxes with tuners and hdhomerun only streams on the local area network.

https://us.simple.tv/

Uses silicondust hardware.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

You should have a grounding block outside in line with the antenna wire coming into the house.

One of the screw terminals on it should have a copper ground wire attached from it to your homes common ground, if your bios box is grounded you can tie into that.

A water pipe isn't allowed anymore thought it used to be. You are probably still safe doing it assuming you know the water pipe is metal all the way through to the ground. Also keep in mind if a future repair is done and metal pipe is replaced with flex or pvc or something you will no longer have ground.

Thanks man! Yeah I see the FiOS box was grounded. It kinda looks like a coaxial coupler with a wire going to it. So long as I connect it through that I should be fine?

What about the TV upstairs that's near the roof and is getting a signal right from the antenna before it gets to where the splitter/ground is outside?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Thanks man! Yeah I see the FiOS box was grounded. It kinda looks like a coaxial coupler with a wire going to it. So long as I connect it through that I should be fine?

What about the TV upstairs that's near the roof and is getting a signal right from the antenna before it gets to where the splitter/ground is outside?

I assume that means you have a splitter higher up in the chain near the roof? I would run a ground to that to the fios ground. Can you take a photo or draw a diagram on your setup?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Don Lapre posted:

https://us.simple.tv/

Uses silicondust hardware.

Thanks, will check out

Edit: A bit pricey though

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 16, 2014

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

I assume that means you have a splitter higher up in the chain near the roof? I would run a ground to that to the fios ground. Can you take a photo or draw a diagram on your setup?

Nope, the splitter is near the FiOS box; their house was all wired up way before they bought it. Here's the best illustration I could muster up (sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Nope, the splitter is near the FiOS box; their house was all wired up way before they bought it. Here's the best illustration I could muster up (sorry)

Well thats certainly.... odd.

Put a coupler on the outside of the house between the antenna and where it first comes into the home. Run a ground wire from the coupler to the splitter and then from the splitter to the fios ground.