Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

holy poo poo this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Luceo posted:

the power user type

Luceo posted:

on Sprint

:laugh:

Root isn't gonna fix your problem.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Luceo posted:

No idea what you're talking about.
Primarily this:

Mooktastical posted:

Sony devices...have almost entirely stock UI's with very inoffensive additions, and SD card slots.

A friend of mine has the Note 3. I have a Z1s. His has smaller bezels, a stylus and TouchWiz, while mine has slightly larger bezels and lacks the stylus and lovely UI. They're otherwise identical. To give you an idea of how close the Sony skin is to AOSP, GravityBox is stated to only run for AOSP roms, and runs on my Z1S 100% bug free.

You're talking about the Nexus line like it's the only phone with a non-hosed ui, and presenting the outmoded idea of using a Note with CM like it's the only solution. The problem with that idea is that it is but one of a group of solutions to that problem, and one that is far from optimal.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Whizbang posted:

:laugh:

Root isn't gonna fix your problem.

No argument there. :sigh:

Mooktastical posted:

Primarily this:

A friend of mine has the Note 3. I have a Z1s. His has smaller bezels, a stylus and TouchWiz, while mine has slightly larger bezels and lacks the stylus and lovely UI. They're otherwise identical. To give you an idea of how close the Sony skin is to AOSP, GravityBox is stated to only run for AOSP roms, and runs on my Z1S 100% bug free.

You're talking about the Nexus line like it's the only phone with a non-hosed ui, and presenting the outmoded idea of using a Note with CM like it's the only solution. The problem with that idea is that it is but one of a group of solutions to that problem, and one that is far from optimal.

Didn't know that about the Sony devices, but I'd probably lean toward Moto anyway based on how well-built my old DroidX is. I never presented a custom rom as the only solution, just that my experience has been so good that I wouldn't consider a stock rom ever again. That may change when I look to get a new phone based on the reports in this thread, but that'll be some time from now since I see no reason to upgrade.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Luceo posted:

I never presented a custom rom as the only solution, just that my experience has been so good that I wouldn't consider a stock rom ever again. That may change when I look to get a new phone based on the reports in this thread, but that'll be some time from now since I see no reason to upgrade.

I know exactly where you're coming from, and were this the era of Ice Cream Sandwich you'd be preaching to the choir. I used to obsessively root and hack every android I owned because it was the only guaranteed software support. Nowadays I have a locked N7 I manually upgraded to 5.0 and regret, an Nvidia Shield running stock, and a GS3 I'm going to replace with another stock device - likely the Z3 Compact but we'll see what comes out in the next three months. Stock Android is the ideal, but manufacturers that aren't Samsung have learned users like things being close to stock. I hear even Samsung is learning, too.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mooktastical posted:

Root is required, roms aren't. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Please draw a venn diagram in your brain with phone, computer, and smartphone Where would the smartphone bit sit, exactly? Exactly how much space in either circle would the smartphone bit take up?

(this is a dumb thing to say)

A smartphone is not a computer. The usage paradigms are entirely different.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Samsung...

...running community-built software...

...on Sprint.

Just let all of that sink in and contemplate what true power is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

A Samsung...

...running community-built software...

...on Sprint.

Just let all of that sink in and contemplate what true power is.

Hey! What are you trying to say, I can check two of these on my list...

...but then I live in Europe, the land of the free, the consumer rights and we don't have these lovely carriers :smugdroid:.

Joking aside. A few weeks ago, a coworker that had his SGS4 with the 4.4.4 Google Edition rom busted his screen, took it to the carrier's shop and they told him they were giving him a replacement and didn't care about the unlocked bootloader, custom rom and that poo poo, even after clearly noticing it. The reply from the store clerk was "it may break Samsung's warranty, but not ours, we are only concerned hardware-wise". I asked him if Orange (carrier's name) was OK with me running the developer preview on a windows phone I got from them to mess around and was basically the same, in fact he told me that way was faster to get OS updates and being Microsoft's official patching it was acceptable.

Come to Europe and live the old world dream!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Hey! What are you trying to say, I can check two of these on my list...
I'm saying that the dude is a "power user" but has a device on a carrier with speeds half half as good as the next slowest carrier (and three times slower than the fastest). Their coverage isn't great either but I'll concede as a T-Mobile user that if it covers where you are, the coverage is good enough.

I think that he's missing the point of the thread title which wasn't that Samsungs don't need ROMs, it's that there's no reason to buy Samsungs which need fixing when there are tons of options that don't.

vvv When you're dealing with pure power you've got to go big or go home.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 9, 2014

revolther
May 27, 2008
Ahh. So carrier availability, network speeds, and data plan pricing are what makes one a 'power user'.

Apr 7, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Processor. 1.7GHz MTK6592 Octa Core
RAM 1GB
Storage 16GB, microSD card slot, up to 32GB
Camera 13 Megapixel Rear Camera & 3 Megapixel Front-Facing Camera
Battery 2600 mAh
Connectivity GPS, microUSB 2.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Bluetooth

Funny, those bear a striking resemblance to computer specs...

my car has many of the same specs a locomotive would, but I wouldn't expect anyone to commute to work in a locomotive and I don't expect to pull freight with my car.

A phone is not a computer.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'm saying that the dude is a "power user" but has a device on a carrier with speeds half half as good as the next slowest carrier (and three times slower than the fastest). Their coverage isn't great either but I'll concede as a T-Mobile user that if it covers where you are, the coverage is good enough.

I think that he's missing the point of the thread title which wasn't that Samsungs don't need ROMs, it's that there's no reason to buy Samsungs which need fixing when there are tons of options that don't.

I know I know, that's why on a previous post I made, I said that today I wouldn't buy a Samsung phone when you just can go with a Motorola, Sony, HTC or nexus device and get a better experience overall without the need of messing with the OS. Back in the Note II days if you wanted a large screen yes, you were forced to buy a Samsung, now there's more than enough competition and carriers offer a wide selection of devices that choosing a Samsung is just because the user WANTS it, even with all the negative points it carries when compared to other options.

In Spain, some Samsung users are like they're owning the android counterpart of an iPhone and they're like the childs that argue on youtube on the whole Xbox vs Playstation and what is better :v:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm attempting to update my M7 to 5.0.1.

I was rooted because there were a few Xposed modules I was running, but some of the stuff I was using either is available in Lollipop, or has a close-enough alternate solution.

I also originally had the Dev edition direct from HTC, and I converted it to the GPE. It has the correct CID (in fact, it gets the notification for an update to 5.0.1 available,) but I had to put on a custom recovery to load it. Now I can't, for the life of me, get the drat stock 4.4.4 recovery.

I have found both 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 recoveries, but not 4.4.4. And yes, I tried to install the update manually from both of them, and they fail.

I found one XDA thread claiming to link to the 4.4.4 recovery, but the download page didn't link directly to the img file, it linked to an EXE for some sort of "download software" that promised to download the img file...I did NOT download it because I like not having viruses or spyware on my laptop.

So basically, is there anywhere out there that has the drat stock stock M7 4.4.4 recovery?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

LastInLine posted:

The coverage I have is good enough, yes, and I stay for the unlimited data. It's not like there are good options at all for phone carriers in the US.

I'm not really missing the point of the thread title, I just disagree. It's not gospel. I root anything I have with an operating system that can be rooted, because this:

Citizen Tayne posted:

Is loving ridiculous. The only thing I can't do on my phone that I do on my laptop is play more demanding games. If someone tried to sell you a laptop without admin access to the OS, that would sound crazy, and I don't see a difference anymore. It's mine and I will be root.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I got one of these HTC Desire 510s for 30 bucks the other day and it's locked to sprint prepaid. Is there a way I can...

a. Put an ATT sim card in and unlock it through shady means
b. Get past the 'registration' lockdown so I can use it like an iPod
c. Root it/hack it in any way

I figured if I couldn't get it to work on ATT I could use it as a GPS or something but I'm not sure how to even get past the registration screen. I guess I could buy some minutes for it and then will it allow me to use it for WiFi only indefinitely or will it lock me down when the minutes run out?

Apr 7, 2003

Luceo posted:

Is loving ridiculous. The only thing I can't do on my phone that I do on my laptop is play more demanding games. If someone tried to sell you a laptop without admin access to the OS, that would sound crazy, and I don't see a difference anymore. It's mine and I will be root.

"Power users" trying to force a computer user paradigm onto a communications device is the number one impediment to smartphone usability right now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

"Power users" trying to force a computer user paradigm onto a communications device is the number one impediment to smartphone usability right now.

If you weren't talking out your rear end before, you definitely are now.

Just because the computer is smaller doesn't mean it somehow stops being exactly what it is. Your analogy doesn't work either, Steve Jobs beat you to the punch when he called the desktop computer a truck.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

com·put·er
kəmˈpyo͞odər/
noun
noun: computer; plural noun: computers
an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.

Apr 7, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If you weren't talking out your rear end before, you definitely are now.

Just because the computer is smaller doesn't mean it somehow stops being exactly what it is. Your analogy doesn't work either, Steve Jobs beat you to the punch when he called the desktop computer a truck.

A smartphone is a communications device first and foremost. Treating it like a tiny laptop only interferes with the primary purpose.

One-size-fits-all results in a poor fit for everyone.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This is a fascinating conversation that will inevitably lead to increased understanding and changed opinions all around.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm converted. I should only use my phone for texts and calls, got it!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
On an entirely unrelated note, I recently got my Oneplus One, and rooted it, and I'm trying to make it pretty and shiny. I installed Nova and Zooper, and I'm trying to install custom fonts, and failing. I followed the instructions I found here (using iFont): http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/ , but nothing happens. I click install, I get and approve the request for superuser access, the phone reboots, and the new fonts are still nowhere to be found. Can any of y'all imagine what I might be doing wrong?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Dancer posted:

Can any of y'all imagine what I might be doing wrong?

You got a Oneplus One.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any way to get root to switch platform.xml back to stock on an HTC One M8 without having to install a custom recovery and install root? I had my phone rooted at one point but stopped caring after receiving an OTA. Now I want to install lollipop but it fails because platform.xml is different.

Nevermind, I was able to temp boot into TWRP and flash supersu and did it.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 10, 2014

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I did an arduino workshop a few years ago, and all attendees were asked to bring a computer. Everyone set up their laptops at their stations. Everyone except the guy with a disgusting beard. He set up his motorola droid and a bluetooth keyboard. The instructor told him he would need a computer, as we were going to be working with the arduino ide and needed to connect to it via USB. Beard man smugly said "My phone is a computer." and plugged the arduino into his USB OTG cable. The instructor was a little confused and told beard man that he wouldn't be able to install the arduino ide, that they only had versions for mac, windows, and linux. Beardman responded, again smugly "Android IS linux". The instructor said good luck and let him paw at his phone for the entirety of the workshop.

Your phone isn't a computer.

Don't be the smelly beard man.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

I did an arduino workshop a few years ago, and all attendees were asked to bring a computer. Everyone set up their laptops at their stations. Everyone except the guy with a disgusting beard. He set up his motorola droid and a bluetooth keyboard. The instructor told him he would need a computer, as we were going to be working with the arduino ide and needed to connect to it via USB. Beard man smugly said "My phone is a computer." and plugged the arduino into his USB OTG cable. The instructor was a little confused and told beard man that he wouldn't be able to install the arduino ide, that they only had versions for mac, windows, and linux. Beardman responded, again smugly "Android IS linux". The instructor said good luck and let him paw at his phone for the entirety of the workshop.

This is Android

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RZA Encryption posted:

It's entirely possible to install Linux on a phone but dear God why would you ever want to?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nimper posted:

It's entirely possible to install Linux on a phone but dear God why would you ever want to?

Luceo posted:

Perhaps the average person doesn't need to, but they never did. If you want complete control of a device you own, like I do for any computer of mine, then yes, it's required.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I recompiled the IDE in java and created an APK on my SDcard I can install via OTG USB with my micro card reader. Stupid computer doesn't have a built in SD slot.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Oh my lord what are we even arguing about now

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Root thread has no brakes.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Rexxed posted:

Root thread has no brakes.

We rooted, granted superuser privileges to mount system as R/W, and deleted them.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Dancer posted:

On an entirely unrelated note, I recently got my Oneplus One, and rooted it, and I'm trying to make it pretty and shiny. I installed Nova and Zooper, and I'm trying to install custom fonts, and failing. I followed the instructions I found here (using iFont): http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-install-new-fonts-on-the-android-platform/ , but nothing happens. I click install, I get and approve the request for superuser access, the phone reboots, and the new fonts are still nowhere to be found. Can any of y'all imagine what I might be doing wrong?
Cyanogenmod has a new theme engine from a few months back which can mess around with fonts. It's a bit easier than whatever that article seems to do.

The fonts themselves can be found on the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cm.font.calibri
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.net.finger.ubuntufont

Install a few and then you should be able to change them system wide with the theme manager.

Not sure if you can choose freely with zooper or if it only switches the default font. Probably the latter.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Rooted a cheapo Android tablet and threw both Adblock and Adaway on there, but I still get ads on Youtube vids. Any way to fix this, it's moderately annoying.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Rooted a cheapo Android tablet and threw both Adblock and Adaway on there, but I still get ads on Youtube vids. Any way to fix this, it's moderately annoying.
There's an Xposed module which can get rid of these. I no longer have it due to Lollipop, but it's called something obvious.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

Um, excuse me, an Android phone can do ANYTHING a laptop can except play high-end games, so says Luceo. This is why you also see film studios editing movies on Motos X.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Zom Aur posted:

Cyanogenmod has a new theme engine from a few months back which can mess around with fonts. It's a bit easier than whatever that article seems to do.

The fonts themselves can be found on the play store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cm.font.calibri
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=br.net.finger.ubuntufont

Install a few and then you should be able to change them system wide with the theme manager.

Not sure if you can choose freely with zooper or if it only switches the default font. Probably the latter.

I appreciate the help, but I'm trying to install fonts that aren't in the Play store. For reference, I'm trying to design my home screen in a way similar to this: http://www.customspsd.com/grey-sky-android-homescreen-android-customizations/ . I found and downloaded the fonts from somewhere on the net, but I can't get my phone to use them.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Um, excuse me, an Android phone can do ANYTHING a laptop can except play high-end games, so says Luceo. This is why you also see film studios editing movies on Motos X.

Sometimes to entertain myself I go watch computers become not-computers when their specs become old enough that film studios are unable to edit video on them. It's like an angel getting its wings.

Apr 7, 2003

nocal posted:

Sometimes to entertain myself I go watch computers become not-computers when their specs become old enough that film studios are unable to edit video on them. It's like an angel getting its wings.

A smartphone is a communications device, not a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

A smartphone is a communications device, not a computer.

com·put·er
kəmˈpyo͞odər/
noun
noun: computer; plural noun: computers
an electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.