Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Cloks posted:

Michael Chabon? I'm not sure how people feel about his works but he's one of my favorite authors. Haruki Murakami is also pretty good and experimental. I'd recommend Kavalier and Clay and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Seconding this. I actually think that Wonder Boys is Chabon's best, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007
Skippy Dies - I will check it out. I'd heard of it, but knew basically nothing about it, other than someone I read at some point said they loved it.

The Sense of an Ending - One of my favorite recent novels. Absolutely brilliant and unlike anything I've read before. Transcends the generic modern British novel style while working within it's general vibe.

Michael Chabon - I feel similar about him as I do about John Updike (not that they're very similar), in that I feel like they can both write brilliantly, but never can create a satisfying story. Wonder Boys was drat good though. I'm lukewarm about Kavalier and Clay compared to most people.

Murakami - I just haven't read anything by him that interested me. Granted I've only read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and After the Quake but I just kind of find him boring. Is there something of his that's more engaging? I found both his storytelling and prose to be minimalistic to the point of just being boring, and I feel like he just kind of goes for the whole unresolved mystery thing too often. I was kind of intrigued by 1Q84, but I'm not sure if I want to commit to something that long from a writer I'm mostly meh on.

To expand on my thoughts about Heinlein, I think you hit the nail on the head as far as why I despise what I've read of him, Hieronymous Alloy. His style reads like a children's book but he's trying to express adult ideas, so it just comes across as spineless, weak and empty to me. Plus his ideas are just kinda lovely to begin with. I understand that he's important to the development of science fiction as a genre, but when compared to Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, H.G. Wells, and Arthur C. Clarke, he just has nothing to offer (for me). Also, gently caress grok.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

jonnykungfu posted:

Michael Chabon - I feel similar about him as I do about John Updike (not that they're very similar), in that I feel like they can both write brilliantly, but never can create a satisfying story. Wonder Boys was drat good though. I'm lukewarm about Kavalier and Clay compared to most people.

This is absolutely true, especially when it comes to endings. I remember getting to the end of Telegraph Avenue and being all "Wait, that's it?" There's one exception to this, though-- Gentlemen of the Road . It's basically Chabon aping Robert E. Howard and other pulp fantasy writers from the early 20th century, but boy howdy does he pull it off. It's got all the wit and gorgeous prose of your typical Chabon novel coupled with a plot that actually moves.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

jonnykungfu posted:

My second request is for some contemporary writers (preferably the last 5-10 years) that are experimental (or at least fun), engaging and have at least some humor (or soul-crushing bleakness) to their books that could stand up to writers like:

Philip Roth
Martin Amis
Vladimir Nabokov
Ali Smith (the most recent writer to really engage me)
Stanley Elkin
David Foster Wallace
Gary Lutz

I don't want:

Self-consciously quirky stuff (Dave Eggers, Zadie Smith, Marisha Pessl)
Stuff that can't decide between plot and prose and ends up going off the rails in a completely idiotic way (see: The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt or A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki)
Intentionally obtuse, overly complex Ulysses wannabes (Will Self's Umbrella, I love his earlier stuff though)
Cormac McCarthy - we all know he loving exists, stop it.

Sorry for the novel, I just don't know where to go next and I'm almost out of Philip Roth to read! I figured the cool guy lit thread was the true place to ask this.

David Peace, Marlon James' Brief History Of Seven Killings, Boxer Beetle by Ned Beauman, Country Hardball by Steve Weddle, Noise by Darin Bradley

I'll second Wolf In White Van and The Son too

savinhill fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 9, 2014

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
Is Wolf in White Van actually good? I've been put off novels written by my favorite songwriters ever since I tried to read Dylan's Tarantula. Jesus, what a mess that was.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Falstaff Infection posted:

Is Wolf in White Van actually good? I've been put off novels written by my favorite songwriters ever since I tried to read Dylan's Tarantula. Jesus, what a mess that was.

Would a book with a cover this cool be bad?

It's very good

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a pet theory/ question on Faulkner and Steinbeck, actually.

When I read Faulkner's Sanctuary and Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus I couldn't help but think "whoa, Faulkner and Steinbeck are parodying the poo poo out of pulp lust novels." How much critical support is there for that reading? They both just seemed so over-the-top, but that doesn't seem to be the standard critical view of either of them (though I may just be too far out of the critical loop).

It's been a long time since I really read about it so I am not sure exactly how popular the notion is critically, but Faulkner openly admitted that Sanctuary started out as a rush job "potboiler" written for the money at the direction of his publishing house, and reportedly when asked by a reader which character was his author stand-in, he replied "Madam, I was the corncob" (this will mean something if you know Sanctuary). So I am pretty sure a reading of it being contemporary pulp trends dialled all the way up is not only supportable but exists out there. On the other hand Faulkner did end up rewriting it to be more up to personal par before he put it out and I think it's generally viewed as holding Serious Literary Merit, but the readership-trolling element surely remains.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

On that note, Leonard Cohen's Beautiful Losers was a big disappointment (although it's been ~15 years since I read it; maybe it's worth another look).

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Darnielle also wrote a novella for the 33 1/3 series based on Black Sabbath's Master of Reality.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Does anybody here like John Fowles? The Magus was one of my favorite books in high school, and I just read The French Lieutenant's Woman . I don't think I was familiar enough with Victorian literature to fully appreciate the pastiche aspects of TFLW, but I do really dig his style. I read Mantissa once as well but found it kinda unbearable. In a lotta ways he is kind of the quintessential "Male writer who thinks his sexism is lusty vivaciousness," but he is a drat good stylist regardless.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I love the Dutch writer Nescio's "Amsterdam Stories" (they chose a clunky, milquetoast name for the English translation):
http://www.nybooks.com/books/imprints/classics/amsterdam-stories/

It's modernism but with a lot of black humor. It's mostly about useless but virtuous characters versus successful but largely cynical ones, a lot of it is about the details of daily life as a bum in early 20th century Amsterdam. A bit like the Benny Profane chapters from V.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 9, 2014

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2022

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007
Sweet, I've got a lot of interesting stuff to check out. Particularly interested in Noise and A Brief History of Seven Killings. I'll probably read The Son and Wolf in White Van next though, based on popular opinion. Keep them coming if you want, I read like 2-3 books a week.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I really liked The Wind Up Bird Chronicle but thought IQ84 was the most disappointing thing I'd read that year. It's definitely the MOST Murakami of all Murakami's novels; all his usual quirks (a detached male protagonist, weird sex fetishes, supernatural elements that come out of nowhere) are cranked up to 11. I'd say give it a try but if it's not grabbing you after the first few chapters, feel free to skip it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I loved Wind-up Bird Chronicle and felt lukewarm on 1Q84 as well. For my money's worth Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World is one of the better Murakami books out there.

Though I did find his most recent (translated) book Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage to be a nice return to form for him.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
So has anyone here read Cyclonopedia? I'm about halfway in & so far it's equal parts delightful, infuriating, brilliant & meaningless.
I want to talk about it. Someone talk to me about Cyclonopedia.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Rabbit Hill posted:

On that note, Leonard Cohen's Beautiful Losers was a big disappointment (although it's been ~15 years since I read it; maybe it's worth another look).

I struggled with Beautiful Losers. But on the same subject, I really enjoyed Nick Cave's And the rear end Saw The Angel. The Death of Bunny Munro was enjoyable enough, especially in audiobook form, but I wouldn't call it literature.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

So has anyone here read Cyclonopedia? I'm about halfway in & so far it's equal parts delightful, infuriating, brilliant & meaningless.
I want to talk about it. Someone talk to me about Cyclonopedia.

I think that Negarestani, Nick Land & the OOO/Accelerate people mostly unbearable & I dislike that they've claimed Meillassoux for themselves. That said, Cyclonopedia is hilarious in very small doses. The poor mans Thomas Pynchon w/ a lot of Deleueze.

Clearly I haven't engaged very well or very much with Cyclonopedia but I'm not sure that I want to.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

From Murakami I liked Pinball but I'm generally not too impressed with him.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Does anybody here like John Fowles? The Magus was one of my favorite books in high school, and I just read The French Lieutenant's Woman . I don't think I was familiar enough with Victorian literature to fully appreciate the pastiche aspects of TFLW, but I do really dig his style. I read Mantissa once as well but found it kinda unbearable. In a lotta ways he is kind of the quintessential "Male writer who thinks his sexism is lusty vivaciousness," but he is a drat good stylist regardless.

Honestly, The Magus is one of the worst books I've read considered literature. It's so smug in all it's twists and turns and it's attitude towards women is dismal at best.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 11, 2014

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Honestly, The Magus is one of the worst books I've read considered literature. It's so smug in all it's twists and turns and it's attitude towards women is dismal at best.

Yeah, I sort of think that if I re-read it now, presumably having matured, the sexism would be a whole lot more apparent and difficult to overlook.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

The worst literary book I've ever read was West With the Night. The most pretentious book I've ever read. It's all style and no substance.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Two questions. First, what do y'all think of The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen? I've read it, and have my own ideas, but I'll withhold until I hear some thoughts. It seems to be an incredibly divisive book, with responses ranging from "hubris-filled drivel" to "an exceptional literary achievement".

Question two: where do I start with Daphne du Maurier?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't think Franzen is a poor writer, but I think his prose (at least in this novel) is so self-conscious that it ends up feeling forced, and his narrative as a whole suffers because of it. For me, The Corrections ended up feeling directionless and bland; Franzen has an undeniable skill for creating those "girl / guy next door" characters, but the novel does nothing of interest with them. His characters feel alive, and they have their complexities, but that isn't really justification enough to read about them, in the same sense that I wouldn't be all that excited about the prospect of reading a novel about my next-door neighbors. There's this simmering discontent with contemporary America / suburbia under the surface, which is the most interesting aspect of the novel, but at the end of the day the book felt like secondhand DeLillo.

To be fair, I think Corrections is interesting as a time capsule, since it feels very much like a novel that captures the particular cultural mood of the time in which it was written. Maybe part of the reason I didn't particularly enjoy it is that reading it now, after the cultural landscape has shifted so heavily, it ends up feeling...quaint, I guess? That may not be the best word to describe it, but hopefully it gets the idea across.

Of course the book has seen pretty much universal acclaim, and critics capable of much deeper and more nuanced readings than I seem to love it, so eh.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The Corrections is really funny. The scene with the fish in the pants, the screenplay with the constant references to breasts - all LOL moments for me! I thought the characters were great and the ending, especially the last sentence, was fantastic and hopeful.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Anyone have opinions on Samuel Beckett? Really want to tackle Three Novels in the near future. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Anyone have opinions on Samuel Beckett? Really want to tackle Three Novels in the near future. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas.

He owns bones, what is there to say? And you really shouldn't get gifts for yourself for Christmas :colbert:

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

BeefSupreme posted:

Two questions. First, what do y'all think of The Corrections by Johnathan Franzen? I've read it, and have my own ideas, but I'll withhold until I hear some thoughts. It seems to be an incredibly divisive book, with responses ranging from "hubris-filled drivel" to "an exceptional literary achievement".

Never read the corrections, but I found Freedom to be complete garbage. It read like a parody of "MFA lit." I think it's basically pseudo-Updike.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah Beckett is great and he was probably a major influence on some / most / all of your favorite living authors.

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014
What Beckett novel should I start with? I've only ever seen/read his plays.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Waiting for Godot is what he's most well-known for, but Murphy is also really good.

edit: I highly doubt that any of them are bad though, so you could probably grab anything and be happy.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Anyone who is interested in Beckett and has some cash to spend, there is a pretty nice filmed collection of all (I think, at least most) of the plays called 'Beckett on Film'

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

What Beckett novel should I start with? I've only ever seen/read his plays.

Start with his later trilogy: Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnameable.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

BeefSupreme posted:

Rebecca

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Boatswain posted:

He owns bones, what is there to say? And you really shouldn't get gifts for yourself for Christmas :colbert:
Parents asked for ideas and that book was one I gave.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Parents asked for ideas and that book was one I gave.

I'm just messing with you, I really don't care what you do, good choice though.

red_blip
Feb 19, 2008

Fine human machine.

I just read The Magus about a month or two ago. The story was, I felt, strangely weak for such a celebrated novel. I mean that in the sense that it felt so contrived that it was hard to care about what you were reading after some time. It was just as if some fawn with a raging boner was going to crash the party from behind every bush he happened upon. However, his pacing of all that hooplah and his characters' growth (whether you like them or not... I got pretty tired of women getting slapped around) were impeccable. I don't know how the characters made it through all of that, really. I don't mean within the story. I mean, I don't know how I still felt tied to them, without any concern for their situations.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

red_blip posted:

I just read The Magus about a month or two ago. The story was, I felt, strangely weak for such a celebrated novel. I mean that in the sense that it felt so contrived that it was hard to care about what you were reading after some time. It was just as if some fawn with a raging boner was going to crash the party from behind every bush he happened upon. However, his pacing of all that hooplah and his characters' growth (whether you like them or not... I got pretty tired of women getting slapped around) were impeccable. I don't know how the characters made it through all of that, really. I don't mean within the story. I mean, I don't know how I still felt tied to them, without any concern for their situations.

I definitely didn't identify with the characters in The Magus at all. As I was reading I kept thinking, "Man am I glad that I'm not an angsty teenager anymore and that I don't think and feel like this guy". I didn't feel like that got in the way of me enjoying the novel though. For me it was more about the sense of mystery and dread that Fowles is able to evoke and I've never read anything else that did it so effectively. The pacing is a big part of that since he never really lets things die down; just piles weird on top of weird until you're just as confused as Urfe as the rules of his world get shifted around behind the scenes constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

novamute posted:

I definitely didn't identify with the characters in The Magus at all. As I was reading I kept thinking, "Man am I glad that I'm not an angsty teenager anymore and that I don't think and feel like this guy". I didn't feel like that got in the way of me enjoying the novel though. For me it was more about the sense of mystery and dread that Fowles is able to evoke and I've never read anything else that did it so effectively. The pacing is a big part of that since he never really lets things die down; just piles weird on top of weird until you're just as confused as Urfe as the rules of his world get shifted around behind the scenes constantly.

Hahaha I identified like crazy with Urfe when I was 15, which may not reflect that well on me as a teenager. But I do think he's written in such a way that he's inherently appealing/relatable to immature young men. He's what they think "deep, manly, artistic feelings" looks like, basically.