Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
my cat shits in her box but sometimes shes way at the front and her butt hangs out and i come home to a cat turd, on the hallway floor

anyway enough cat poo poo stories for now, bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress is a diabetic alert dog for

it's 2014

how can it possibly be cheaper or better to train a dog than wear a loving insulin pump

edit: i just realized the answer is "san francisco landlords." you get a $20,000 diabetic alert dog in order to smuggle it into your terrible house despite the lease you voluntarily signed

idk but we hooked a friend of a friend up w/ the company he does the training for cause they were looking for one

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i started googling and the famous hunting lab kennel here was like the 4th thing down, apparently they train them. weird.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
seizure dogs are amazing and awesome

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd love a reject guide dog, there's a guy in my building who helps train them to be in offices but you're not supposed to say hi or pet them :(

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
uber has been banned in spain

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30395093

uber lawyerz posted:

This is a highly unusual commercial court proceeding and preliminary ruling brought against us by a Madrid taxi association. UberPOP is our ride-sharing solution and is about sharing the costs of vehicle ownership and helping people give up their cars and we will continue to run the service. Getting more people in fewer cars is good for the environment and good for our cities. This ruling is inconsistent with broad political acknowledgment in Spain and across the European Union on the benefits of sharing economy services, at a time of high unemployment and a floundering economic recovery.

Competition regulators across the European Union have called for full deregulation of the taxi industry, which currently acts as a barrier to consumer choice and economic opportunity. Uber will continue to comply with Spanish law and is currently assessing its legal options under this sudden and unusual proceeding.

Getting more people in fewer cars is good for the environment and good for our cities <= i think this is the only true statement in the whole thing

i read that an option to carry out the ban is to ask the telco providers to just block connections to the uber servers which is a pretty novel idea that might work

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

poty posted:

i read that an option to carry out the ban is to ask the telco providers to just block connections to the uber servers which is a pretty novel idea that might work

while that is certainly a cockslap i get leery of telcos blocking connections to anything that isn't directly malicious-traffic related

holy poo poo i just noticed that pun

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

poty posted:

lmao

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
they can deregulate all they want and break taxi co monopolies but if youre earning money you better pay taxes/ss like everyone loving does. sorry if im mad but my accountant told me im paying >10k next june

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

born on a buy you posted:

president crow would like you to know asu isn't even in the top 10 party schools anymore

as an asu alumnus (lol), president crow is an ok dude in my book. yeah he's overpaid and cares too much about sports and fundraising. but when some group of batshit tea partiers tried to get a state bill passed to allow students and teachers to carry guns on campus to DEFEND ARE SELVES, he put out this press release

quote:

Arizona State University, like any major research university, is a very special and very complex learning environment. In addition to more than 70,000 of our own college students, we have day care centers, elementary school programs and thousands of elementary school age visitors in a given week, as well as thousands of out-of-state teenagers and their parents visiting.

The bill (SB1474) to permit guns on campus is a misguided attempt to increase school safety without a shred of evidence to support the assumption that schools are safer if students are armed. In fact, a study by the World Health Organization found that the very opposite is true.

I don’t oppose gun ownership. Own all the guns you want, I would say to anyone. But please leave them in your car if you bring them to school, which is our present policy.

ASU Police, the Phoenix SWAT and all the other professional law enforcement chiefs we have talked to are opposed to this bill and say that it will reduce safety.

Can you imagine a crowded college lecture hall in which one student pulls a handgun and fires a shot, then a dozen more students, untrained in the use of firearms and how to handle potentially deadly situations, all pull out their guns? Innocent people would be caught in a deadly crossfire of panicked students firing in every direction. And what does the SWAT team do when it arrives? How do they know which of a dozen or more armed and possibly firing shooters is the bad guy? Or do they take out everyone with a gun?

There are places where guns are not conducive to public safety. Schools surely must be on that list.

so he's a good guy by my reckoning.

i didn't understand that bill at all. literally none of the faculty or school administration supported it and neither did >95% of the students. bunch of wack jobs trying to push their own "freedoms" on people who very much did not want them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

seizure dogs are amazing and awesome

:agreed:, it's super cool

but what would you think of people registering seizure doges if they also had electronic seizure detectors that were more effective

actually is there even some kind of process for that? can you just say "my dog detects when i'm gonna glitch out" or do they have to demonstrate the ability to be able to get registered

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

:agreed:, it's super cool

but what would you think of people registering seizure doges if they also had electronic seizure detectors that were more effective

actually is there even some kind of process for that? can you just say "my dog detects when i'm gonna glitch out" or do they have to demonstrate the ability to be able to get registered

Pretty sure you can show them the five digit receipt from the dog purchase to slide by that one.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i worked in an office with a dog and iirc it was one of those stupid tiny ones and it would run around yelping and piss on the floor

this happened bearing in mind the main office was only about 3 metres wide and maybe 10 metres long

my friend works at an office where one of the managers brings in his akita and from what i'm told it's a very chill sitting dog that likes to contemplate but even so she probably smells and stuff

basically i don't like dogs haha!!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my daughter's dentist has a golden or smth but he was just chillin in a back hallway and i noticed him while we were paying or w/e. idk if hes a service dog, the dentist is in a wheelchair tho so maybe

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wouldn't want a noisy bullshit dog but if it's one of those big mopey dogs with big sad eyes that's content to just curl up for a few hours and occasionally let out a big ol' *sigh* then hell yeah bring on that office dog

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

my daughter's dentist has a golden

quote:

idk if hes a service dog

lol cmon son

whitest dog, whitest medical profession

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wouldn't want a noisy bullshit dog but if it's one of those big mopey dogs with big sad eyes that's content to just curl up for a few hours and occasionally let out a big ol' *sigh* then hell yeah bring on that office dog

ive got one of these and he owns. he won't get his lazy rear end of the couch half the time tho lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

lol cmon son

whitest dog, whitest medical profession

idk he strikes me as the 'i am capable of doing this myself i don't need a service dog' type of guys

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my last job at a startup had dogs.

i do not like dogs so much anymore.

we had a beagle, a terrier + pug + pitbull mix, an old dying bag of bones of some kind, a german shephard, we had some kind of poodle-esque dog.

any time anything diesel would be audible, the beagle would go loving ballistic, like seeing red circling infront of the front door beagle barking insanely. this would rile up the owner who on a bad day would loving scream and sprint into the front office and pick up said beagle by its collar and fling it across the room onto the couch :stare: sometimes said bealge would piss he self

the old dying bag of bones was incontinent and would piss and poo poo himself daily if not more than once a day (he also farted all the time)

the terrier mix or w/e it was was extremely eager to play and be hyper and would piss herself if you overstimultaed her

the poodle-thing was quiet and reserved and overall not a problem, didn't smell (i believe she was washed weekly)

the german shephard smelled like dog but otherwise was very docile and relaxed (potentially due to a heart issue, extremely slow heartbeat)

office dogs loving suck

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

oh yeah i forgot about the rottweiler

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

sometimes the tiny little terrier thing would agitate the rottweiler who would go loving ballistic and attack the poo poo out of the little dog (sometimes drawing blood), this involved tons of dog screaming and people screaming and swearing and peoples hands getting bit

sometimes the beagle would do the same with any of the other dogs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mido posted:

beagle barking

this is The Worst and it is contagious to other dogs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the last dog office I was in there was the one good chill dog who was quiet and old and he'd sniff around under your desk occasionally and you'd pet him but 95% of the time he was sleeping and all was good

then my boss at the time got a "jackerdoodle" [jack russell/poodle mix] puppy and it was the worst, in addition to it barking and being a spaz it would constantly harass the old chill dog and pick fights with it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Los Angeles and San Francisco are suing ride-sharing startup Uber for making misleading statements and breaking California law, the latest in a series of setbacks for the company. In a statement, the two cities' district attorneys say that Uber misled passengers about the effectiveness of its background checks, misrepresented fees for safety checks and airport tolls, operated in airports without permission, and did not get state approval for the system it used to calculate pricing.

"Uber has refused to comply with straightforward California laws that protect consumers from fraud and harm," said district attorneys George Gascón and Jackie Lacey. "These companies can be innovative in the way they deliver services without ignoring the laws that protect the public."

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

as an asu alumnus (lol), president crow is an ok dude in my book. yeah he's overpaid and cares too much about sports and fundraising. but when some group of batshit tea partiers tried to get a state bill passed to allow students and teachers to carry guns on campus to DEFEND ARE SELVES, he put out this press release

so he's a good guy by my reckoning.

i didn't understand that bill at all. literally none of the faculty or school administration supported it and neither did >95% of the students. bunch of wack jobs trying to push their own "freedoms" on people who very much did not want them

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

qirex posted:

Los Angeles and San Francisco are suing ride-sharing startup Uber for making misleading statements and breaking California law, the latest in a series of setbacks for the company. In a statement, the two cities' district attorneys say that Uber misled passengers about the effectiveness of its background checks, misrepresented fees for safety checks and airport tolls, operated in airports without permission, and did not get state approval for the system it used to calculate pricing.

"Uber has refused to comply with straightforward California laws that protect consumers from fraud and harm," said district attorneys George Gascón and Jackie Lacey. "These companies can be innovative in the way they deliver services without ignoring the laws that protect the public."

Must be fun for Gascon to have to convince Ed Lee to let him go after one of his buddies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what the gently caress is a diabetic alert dog for

it's 2014

how can it possibly be cheaper or better to train a dog than wear a loving insulin pump

people pay attention to dogs once they start barking

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

poty posted:

another idea that might work is to criminally charge an organization that continues to operate in defiance of a court order

could Napster have said "yeah, you issued an injunction, we're just going to ignore it" without execs being held personally for contempt and the company and its assets being seized?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
really every instance of a company ignoring or attempting to evade a court order should result in a RICO prosecution, that poo poo undermines the rule of law and can't be allowed to stand

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

newreply.php posted:

they can deregulate all they want and break taxi co monopolies but if youre earning money you better pay taxes/ss like everyone loving does. sorry if im mad but my accountant told me im paying >10k next june

10k?

rule 36 up in here!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

eschaton posted:

10k?

rule 36 up in here!

stop posting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

really every instance of a company ignoring or attempting to evade a court order should result in a RICO prosecution, that poo poo undermines the rule of law and can't be allowed to stand

lol. i like to dream too.

but this is bubble 2.0, this time it's different, remember?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rude

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
not you, you keep going :justpost:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

but this is bubble 2.0, this time it's different, remember?

techbow islands

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's great, by any reasonable definition uber is a criminal enterprise. an international criminal enterprise. their entire business model is illegal pretty much top-to-bottom in almost every market they operate in. they run counter-intelligence and smear campaigns against their "enemies" in business, the press, and possibly even in government. they run their business like bond villains made flesh. and because they're a bunch of pasty SV techbros no one is going to do anything to hold them accountable.

ryan graves could build a death ray on the loving moon at this point and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

it's great, by any reasonable definition uber is a criminal enterprise. an international criminal enterprise. their entire business model is illegal pretty much top-to-bottom in almost every market they operate in. they run counter-intelligence and smear campaigns against their "enemies" in business, the press, and possibly even in government. they run their business like bond villains made flesh. and because they're a bunch of pasty SV techbros no one is going to do anything to hold them accountable.

ryan graves could build a death ray on the loving moon at this point and it wouldn't be the least bit surprising.

he'd try to crowdsource the death ray instead ans act confused when he finds out you can't make one out of used nissan stanzas

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
when your last name is graves you sort of have to run with it i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

he'd try to crowdsource the death ray instead ans act confused when he finds out you can't make one out of used nissan stanzas

that's 20th century thinking. he's going to disrupt the death ray space and innovate a new paradigm of mass terror

• Locked thread