Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ImpAtom posted:

Because it doesn't really make a lot of sense for the rule to be "a thread can be in Games until Imp Zone decides they want it, at which point Games is obligated to make a new thread."

The Smash thread regulars weren't Imp Zone posters until after the thread was moved there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

ImpAtom posted:

Because it doesn't really make a lot of sense for the rule to be "a thread can be in Games until Imp Zone decides they want it, at which point Games is obligated to make a new thread."

You have a weird us vs them mentality. Imp zone and Games are forums. People can post in both without belonging to either.

If the people posting in the thread want to chat about the game, they will. If those people don't, they won't. If you got issues with how people are using the thread, improve it with your own posting.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I posted the regular game of the month idea that people seemed kind of into. With the chat thread and the bad game of the month thread hopefully there can be a bit more than megathreads bouncing around.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687062

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm glad that the Games forum is finally getting a chance to talk about Deus Ex

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

ImpAtom posted:

Well, one of the ones I was particularly thinking of in this case was the Super Smash Brothers thread right around when the Japanese release happened. It basically became an unreadable mess of no-effort posting, people reposting the same (unrelated) images over and over again, and that sort of thing. It was eventually moved to the Imp Zone and left to die.

In that case though it feels kind of lovely because it was a fairly hyped game that people were interested in with new leaks and information coming out fairly regularly, which is a situation where I don't think super-strict moderation is necessary but where low-effort white-noise posting really kinda hurt the entire thread. I don't think you need to Only Discuss The Game Upon Penalty Of Death but still.

That's kind of an extreme example, admittedly, so I'm not trying to imply that specific thing is happening regularly.

Late to this after watching Louisville crush Indiana, but I think this is something that has happened forever in Games and there's nothing really that we can do to stop it. That Smash Bros thread hit the shitter because there was nothing to talk about. This is a common occurrence with all of the threads for Games that have yet to be released. Theres not much to talk about and it kind of devolves into idiocy. We could absolutely crush people with probations and bans but I don't really think there is any harm when there's nothing to talk about. Once the game was released in the US, it got a brand new thread and the posting returned to normal.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The Archeage thread. My god that's the worst posting I've seen since I accidentally wandered into FYAD a few years ago. So many posts are low content, off topic, or meta about the thread or the posters rather than the game. It's pretty drat awful.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We did need more people to post about the game but no one wanted to or instead posted on the offsite.

It is a shame they didn't feel like they could post where everyone could see it and improve a thread.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

You have a weird us vs them mentality. Imp zone and Games are forums. People can post in both without belonging to either.

Of course they can, but that doesn't mean the expecting posting styles aren't different.

I mean, yeah, I'll be honest and say that Imp Zone style humor doesn't really do it for me, and that's fine because the two are different subforums. I just don't go into Imp Zone and for the most part that works out for me.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Contest Winner posted:

I posted the regular game of the month idea that people seemed kind of into. With the chat thread and the bad game of the month thread hopefully there can be a bit more than megathreads bouncing around.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687062

I love this idea and will be contributing to the thread in a week or two (exams). In order for the thread to do well I think it should be stickied like the book club thread in the book barn just so it is not drowned out by the bigger threads. Same with the bad games of the month thread or however that one is going to work.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Just post whatever wherever.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Kewpuh posted:

Late to this after watching Louisville crush Indiana, but I think this is something that has happened forever in Games and there's nothing really that we can do to stop it. That Smash Bros thread hit the shitter because there was nothing to talk about. This is a common occurrence with all of the threads for Games that have yet to be released. Theres not much to talk about and it kind of devolves into idiocy. We could absolutely crush people with probations and bans but I don't really think there is any harm when there's nothing to talk about. Once the game was released in the US, it got a brand new thread and the posting returned to normal.

Yeah, this happens a bunch in the League thread. There's but so much you can kinda shoot the poo poo about before the next release or patch or whatever. That being said currently games isn't too bad right now but I kinda stick to League and WoW so I don't really know about other threads and the drama and stuff.

From a cursory glance there's absolutely an Imp Zone vs Games thing going on but it's not super annoying

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Servaetes posted:

Yeah, this happens a bunch in the League thread. There's but so much you can kinda shoot the poo poo about before the next release or patch or whatever. That being said currently games isn't too bad right now but I kinda stick to League and WoW so I don't really know about other threads and the drama and stuff.

95% of the threads in Games see no problems at all. Keep in mind there's a loving shitload of active threads here. MOBA threads, a couple MMO threads, and cyclically the console threads are really the only ones that see any kind of "bad posting" but almost all the time they are harmless and easily ignored

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Some of you seem unreasonably mad about video games

Lol at whining about the content of the archeage thread

That thread is the loving content and everyone that whines about nobody posting anything also completely loving fails to post any actual content

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

95% of the threads in Games see no problems at all. Keep in mind there's a loving shitload of active threads here. MOBA threads, a couple MMO threads, and cyclically the console threads are really the only ones that see any kind of "bad posting" but almost all the time they are harmless and easily ignored

Yeah, I will say, this is true. The console threads are the ones I'm really thinking of when I have any complaints. Aside from the Smash Brothers thing I can't really think of a thread I was following which had any long-term problems. (Besides a couple I followed for train wreck value and those were kind of doomed from the start anyway.) Most of the threads here are just fine.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Servaetes posted:

From a cursory glance there's absolutely an Imp Zone vs Games thing going on but it's not super annoying

I would routinely ask people in archeage who they thought the "imp zone trolls" were and they would give me a list of names and no matter how ever long it was maybe 2 or 3 of which posted in imp zone. The rest did not.

All I can tell is that some people think there is an imp zone vs games thing but what they mean is closer to "posters I don't like."

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

I think all Games posters should visit Imp Zone because it's a pretty good place. I also think Imp Zone posters shouldn't have disdain for Games because of a few crazy shitheads. Both subforums have their strengths and weaknesses but they also both fall under the SA Games umbrella where we stand together as gaming brothers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would routinely ask people in archeage who they thought the "imp zone trolls" were and they would give me a list of names and no matter how ever long it was maybe 2 or 3 of which posted in imp zone. The rest did not.

All I can tell is that some people think there is an imp zone vs games thing but what they mean is closer to "posters I don't like."

Yep, this is true. I do post in imp zone now but before I had ever mad a single post there I was being accused of being an imp zone troll. Its a message board dudes I don't care that much and I doubt most people do. I like to post about games, read about games, and play games. Idgaf about weirdo imp zone conspiracy theories

Also what kewpuh said

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Kewpuh posted:

Unrelated but outta curiosity what's the apprehension to megathreads? They occupy the front page a bit too much for the subforum? Hard to track what's going on in it?

I don't have a single clue about the Archeage thread other than looking at the Leper's Colony to find a laugh or so and look at bans. As for the whole posters I don't like thing it's really obvious when posters that have absolutely no interest in the topic of a thread pop in to say something inflammatory and bounce out to see if they can get a reaction. Most of the time its pretty funny but I could see how a gigantic derail would irritate the regulars.

i can also say that i have entered the zone of imps and removed my finger from the shift key and it hasn't been horrifying but it's not my thing ultimately

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Servaetes posted:

Unrelated but outta curiosity what's the apprehension to megathreads? They occupy the front page a bit too much for the subforum? Hard to track what's going on in it?

They don't really bother me too much but I can see where some people might be irritated by the size of them. Just kind of what you're stick with on these types of forums. And the only alternative right now would be to just create varying threads on different aspects of a game but they'll fall off the front page so quick that nobody will notice them.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Nobody posts game related poo poo in the AA thread because every time you check it, there's two or three pages of empty quotes, eye pops, equally worthless poo poo posts (I'm guilty). Some are funny, most aren't. just don't think most care enough to read through it to find something relevant.

I don't think people avoid posting there out of fear of being dog piled (a thing that actually happens lol), but more that there's just not much to talk about outside of trade chat, which is pretty much all the offsite is used for, and even now not that often.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I think it is because they compare games to other video game forums where megathreads may exist in lesser number or not at all and there are quite a few other threads to post things in.

We tend to separate that second category to imp zone, but for a long time in games some people were worried about probations and didn't post or create threads due to fear of probations or bans. This lead to less content that could have been.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I gotta admit, I adore the Archeage, Wildstar, and Starbound threads, and I don't even play any of those games. They're such beautiful trainwrecks.

That being said, I feel pretty bad for anyone who would actually want to discuss something about those games.

Life is hard sometimes.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I enjoy videogames

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Arcade posted:

Nobody posts game related poo poo in the AA thread because every time you check it, there's two or three pages of empty quotes, eye pops, equally worthless poo poo posts (I'm guilty). Some are funny, most aren't. just don't think most care enough to read through it to find something relevant.

I don't think people avoid posting there out of fear of being dog piled (a thing that actually happens lol), but more that there's just not much to talk about outside of trade chat, which is pretty much all the offsite is used for, and even now not that often.

Well we do have some people that post there about in game stuff.

Take that fellow who complained about it and then was mocked for not posting about something about the game and just creating a white noise complaint.

Then he tried to sell his land since he had too much and was just trying to make money off of it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Im not crazy about mega threads because it usually ends up monopolizing and stifling discussion about games. I don't think having them is bad, but they should be a 'main' thread with other relevant threads imo

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Kewpuh posted:

I think all Games posters should visit Imp Zone because it's a pretty good place. I also think Imp Zone posters shouldn't have disdain for Games because of a few crazy shitheads. Both subforums have their strengths and weaknesses but they also both fall under the SA Games umbrella where we stand together as gaming brothers

Is Imp Zone not just the new YCS? I figured it would just be another bunch of retards high-fiving each other about ironic (but not really) racism and lovely video game memes, byob style.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Samurai posted:

I gotta admit, I adore the Archeage, Wildstar, and Starbound threads, and I don't even play any of those games. They're such beautiful trainwrecks.

That being said, I feel pretty bad for anyone who would actually want to discuss something about those games.

Life is hard sometimes.

I want to agree, but if the people in those threads ever posted real poo poo instead of egging on the people they accused of trolling it would be a lot better contentwise.

Its just they don't want to post anything real. They'd rather have a dead thread or complain about someone else's posts rather than contribute. That's my feelings anyway.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

I'm glad that the Games forum is finally getting a chance to talk about Deus Ex

Lol. Yeah, kind of a boneheaded pick, if you ask me.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I picked it because it is easy to get and get into, and the thread is starting kind of late in a month that also shares lots of holiday events/traveling for people. It's not an inspired choice or anything but I figured in January we could pick something more obscure. Not actually Obscure, because that game is kind of bad.

I mean if everyone hates it we can make a different thread and close that one, it's not a big deal.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

I want to agree, but if the people in those threads ever posted real poo poo instead of egging on the people they accused of trolling it would be a lot better contentwise.

Its just they don't want to post anything real. They'd rather have a dead thread or complain about someone else's posts rather than contribute. That's my feelings anyway.

I dunno. The archeage thread has done a pretty good job about detailing exactly how it became "dumpster fire of the year." It's a pretty bad game, and even if people weren't making awful "so how about the weather?" posts, I'm not sure there'd be much else to do other then enjoy the fire until we run out of marshmallows. Also the thread has me legit interested in The Secret World, so I'd call it pretty good.

I think the same could be said of wildstar, only now that thread has become an actually interesting look at what does and doesn't work in mmo design. I'd recommend it.

What I'm saying is even if there wasn't a bunch of drama and dumb nerds getting the owned and being salty about it, I think these threads would have reached the same conclusion. :shrug:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So many people here with bad opinions on what makes a bad thread, or bad posts and really just giving me an overall sense that they are overly sensitive twats that I wouldn't want to play video games with. The Archeage thread is a shining example. Probably one of the more fun threads we've seen in a long time.

Megathreads are OK, but they do stifle organic conversation, To an extent what was said here:

I think it is because they compare games to other video game forums where megathreads may exist in lesser number or not at all and there are quite a few other threads to post things in.

We tend to separate that second category to imp zone, but for a long time in games some people were worried about probations and didn't post or create threads due to fear of probations or bans. This lead to less content that could have been.

Perhaps a necessary evil ;)

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

Some of you seem unreasonably mad about video games

See this? This is what people are talking about when they say don't like Imp Zone-style poo poo. "lol why u care so much?" "those FEELS" and all that poo poo. I'm not saying that kind of stuff needs to be probated/banned, just that it seems to be popping up more and more lately. And it seems to come from people that also post a lot in Imp Zone.

I guess I'm used to the old "vote 1 and move on" mentality. If there's a thread that I think is bad, or that I have no interest in, I just don't read it. Instead, it seems like more and more posters are trying to show how little they care about something by posting a bunch about how little they care. Or a few people "invade" threads and spam it to death instead of just voting it down and letting it get gassed.

Overall though, Games is fine. I have a shitload of fun games to play and a huge list of goons to play those games with, and 99% of those people are fun and funny. Some poo poo gets lost in megathreads, but when a forum averages 1200 people viewing it at any one time, its gonna happen.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Actually Eonwe has a point. Remember the report shaming thread? I think that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that a lot of people get easily butthurt about the smallest, stupidest poo poo (across the entire forum no less). There are even a few people in this thread that are getting dangerously close to that line.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

I think this is why we need an update to the rules thread because this just makes it sound like there is basically nothing that should be moderated unless it's something illegal. And if that's the case, it'd be nice to see more clearly laid out.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

DangerKat posted:

I think this is why we need an update to the rules thread because this just makes it sound like there is basically nothing that should be moderated unless it's something illegal. And if that's the case, it'd be nice to see more clearly laid out.

Or maybe we just need mods who will enforce the rules.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the social issues thread is a success im v much enjoying it

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Velthice posted:

I think the same could be said of wildstar, only now that thread has become an actually interesting look at what does and doesn't work in mmo design. I'd recommend it.

The only reason the Wildstar thread as well as the Archage thread became actually interesting is because the people that were making GBS threads them up got bored and went elsewhere.

Velthice posted:

What I'm saying is even if there wasn't a bunch of drama and dumb nerds getting the owned and being salty about it, I think these threads would have reached the same conclusion.

Yeah, since in tyool 2014 on the internet comedy forum Somethingawful dot Com repeatedly telling someone you hope they end up unemployed and on food stamps is the pinnacle of comedy! Then, when multiple people point out that you are being an unfunny rear end screaming "WHITE KNIGHTS!!! WHITE KNIGHTS!!!!!!' and "I TROLLED U TOP KEK LOL PUPPETMASTER!!! is even funnier!

The people posting dumb poo poo so they can brag about how salty and owned the other nerds in the MMO HMO are could at least do everyone a favor and be funny.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

All MMO players are diseased.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Yeah, since in tyool 2014 on the internet comedy forum Somethingawful dot Com repeatedly telling someone you hope they end up unemployed and on food stamps is the pinnacle of comedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CoffeeBooze posted:

The only reason the Wildstar thread as well as the Archage thread became actually interesting is because the people that were making GBS threads them up got bored and went elsewhere.

Yeah, since in tyool 2014 on the internet comedy forum Somethingawful dot Com repeatedly telling someone you hope they end up unemployed and on food stamps is the pinnacle of comedy! Then, when multiple people point out that you are being an unfunny rear end screaming "WHITE KNIGHTS!!! WHITE KNIGHTS!!!!!!' and "I TROLLED U TOP KEK LOL PUPPETMASTER!!! is even funnier!

The people posting dumb poo poo so they can brag about how salty and owned the other nerds in the MMO HMO are could at least do everyone a favor and be funny.

The archeage thread chugged along just fine until some moron would come in and give their brain dead take on age of consent laws to try and argue that being a pedo is somehow not a terrible, or scream about some made up conspiracy that imp zone was out to trash their game. Once people stopped being retards and stopped trying to defend kiddie diddling, the thread miraculously got better. Wonder why?

Wildstar was/is goons peeing in the well.

What's dumb poo poo is people crying about others not meeting their standards for posting.

• Locked thread