Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Setsuna managed to be both a lover and a fighter, so there's precedent I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

HellCopter posted:

Setsuna managed to be both a lover and a fighter, so there's precedent I guess

Motoko's whole arc in love hina was about that too so it's just a case of Ken recycling the same loving swordwoman AM I WEAK OR AM I WOMAN with a genderbender twist

plus you know that he's going to win the harem war because of first girl precedent, Akamatsu isn't exactly innovative

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just like in Negima.

wait

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blhue posted:

Just like in Negima.

wait

Chisame was third girl I think? And she clearly won.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Blhue posted:

Just like in Negima.

wait

didn't end on his terms, and before he decided to turn it into a full battle manga and stopped playing the romance angle straight Asuna was always the front runner. Kuromaru is a terrible character whose whole identity is literally do I fall in love and morph into a girl or be best buds and turn into a guy. Zhe's a walking trope

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Towards the end there was a thing where Asuna got him to tell her who it was he liked and her reaction said it wasn't her, so she was one of the 4 or so girls pretty much explicitly out of the running.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

chumbler posted:

Chisame was third girl I think? And she clearly won.

I always had the impression it was Akira whom Negi liked.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh hey, I remember this place. Mostly due to the crappy first anime.

And save girl trying to peak over is great. She's just a treat :allears:

I'm cool with Kuro's arc but I wish Ken could pull the trigger on that and further that arc already.

Give 'm zer (?) Setsuna Kyoto wings unfurled moment and let's see what comes of it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It was clearly Eva :colbert:

Or Chisame or Nodoka or Fate :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ConanThe3rd posted:

Give 'm zer (?) Setsuna Kyoto wings unfurled moment and let's see what comes of it.

We literally already know how Touta is going to respond to Kuroumaru's anything. He will be like "Oh okay cool why does this matter???" and then we'll have a touching moment where Kuroumaru realizes that Touta wouldn't judge him based on gender or race, because they're friends already.

Like if it goes down any differently I'll be honestly surprised. The whole thing with Kuroumaru is that they have literally no self esteem - they're cursed in their clan's eyes, were explicitly sent out on a suicide mission to get rid of them, probably mistreated their whole life, hated by basically everyone they knew before hand. They think that everyone judges them as harshly as in the past, and that as soon as they stop being 'useful' they'll be abandoned. They invent problems and situations and things that Touta might do that he never would, because they're not used to having an actual friend or anything. This is then combined with their gender issues.

Santa has a similar problem with the whole 'poo poo life I don't trust anyone' thing, but he seems to have realized that Touta's a huge goof who he can trust.

Also Nodoka or Yue master choices.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Chisame or Eva, I'd say. The two best characters.

Anyway, it's a bit hosed up if that's not translated poorly. I can't imagine that Akamatsu would be so unaware of what happened in Negima. It's a big precedent to set.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I bet someone could translate that particular panel in the raw, if they went looking.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Skychrono posted:

I bet someone could translate that particular panel in the raw, if they went looking.

I think that might be the ADTRW equivalent of checking wikipedia during a bar argument.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Blhue posted:

Towards the end there was a thing where Asuna got him to tell her who it was he liked and her reaction said it wasn't her, so she was one of the 4 or so girls pretty much explicitly out of the running.

We also got some more hints: it's someone in the class (since Asuna tells him to confess right there and then, and they're the only girls present), it's someone completely unexpected (big "WHAT" on Asuna's part), and according to Asuna "Thinking about it it makes sense, [you and her] are really alike."

Yeah, I put way too much thought into it :smithicide:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's also not Nodoka or Yui, since their epilogue confirms neither of them get with Negi.

I was rooting for Nodoka :(

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's Chachamaru.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Huh, no one really springs to mind as being similar to Negi. I think of Negi as being very negative, intelligent, driven, inclined toward self-sacrifice, and possessing a ridiculously overdeveloped sense of responsibility. I guess that sounds kind of like Setsuna, but we all know that she ended up happily married to Konoka.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

It's Chachamaru.

I forgot Chachamaru existed, she's great and the best.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, no one really springs to mind as being similar to Negi. I think of Negi as being very negative, intelligent, driven, inclined toward self-sacrifice, and possessing a ridiculously overdeveloped sense of responsibility. I guess that sounds kind of like Setsuna, but we all know that she ended up happily married to Konoka.

Chisame?

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

That describes both Chisame and Chachamaru. And probably some others that aren't as good as those two.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kuromaru really, really wants to be a guy, and really, really wants to get into Tota's pants. It'd be kind of nice if Tota went 'Sure, I'm OK with both of those'. I mean, no need to stick to a hard binary of boy=friend, girl=lover if you don't have to.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Darth Walrus posted:

Kuromaru really, really wants to be a guy, and really, really wants to get into Tota's pants. It'd be kind of nice if Tota went 'Sure, I'm OK with both of those'. I mean, no need to stick to a hard binary of boy=friend, girl=lover if you don't have to.

Yes but we don't really need all that yaoi fan girl fan fiction to have an actual basis in reality. Not that the other side is any better though or less creepy.

Just to mention I'm completely fine with characters being gay, I just don't want to see the creation of more stuff that would make the awful link of the day.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 12, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Myurton posted:

Yes but we don't really need all that yaoi fan girl fan fiction to have an actual basis in reality. Not that the other side is any better though or less creepy.

Just to mention I'm completely fine with characters being gay, I just don't want to see the creation of more stuff that would make the awful link of the day.

If you think there's any way to stop that, you are quite mistaken.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Myurton posted:

This is a battle harem manga where the primary potential love interest is intersex and wants to be a dude. This isn't just fans coming up with weird shipping bullshit they conjured out of their asses, this is the actual subject of the story and this chapter in particular.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a battle harem manga where the primary potential love interest is intersex and wants to be a dude. This isn't just fans coming up with weird shipping bullshit they conjured out of their asses, this is the actual subject of the story and this chapter in particular.

Huh I've always wondered what that term intersex means. Yes I know that it is inevitable but personally I dislike all forms of fan fiction, but that is probably cause I'm a lore freak. Anyways my prediction is that they will probably go female in the end cause of the current target demographic.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Myurton posted:

Huh I've always wondered what that term intersex means. Yes I know that it is inevitable but personally I dislike all forms of fan fiction, but that is probably cause I'm a lore freak. Anyways my prediction is that they will probably go female in the end cause of the current target demographic.

Fan fiction is like anything else: it varies in quality, and the majority is mediocre at most. That said, I'm not going to write off an entire category of fiction, myself.

And honestly I also suspect picking female will be the end result, mostly because of the type of manga this is. But who knows, Ken is getting more editorial freedom than he had before. There's a slim chance he might go with the more interesting result.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Does s/he really want to be a guy? My impression was that s/he just wanted to be defined in their own terms - and, most recently, the chance to be a love interest without also losing the chance to be helpful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guys I think it is probably okay given the story so far to refer to Kuroumaru as male, at least until his attitude changes and he makes a decision. Until then, I'd just follow what he insists upon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Myurton posted:

Right, I'm just wondering why fanfic came up at all, seeing as this is plot speculation based upon issues explicitly raised in the text.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Call Kuroumaru by whatever pronoun you like. It is unlikely that he would care very much, what with being a fictional character and all.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
In general, it's good to form a habit of basic respect to others' preferred gender expressions.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I tend to reserve that sort of consideration for people.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, I'm just wondering why fanfic came up at all, seeing as this is plot speculation based upon issues explicitly raised in the text.

Probably having to do with recently hearing about some really terrible Naruto X Sasuke fan fiction while I was leaving my anime club. And having that thought in the back of my mind as I read that earlier post.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up on crunchyroll, in which Akamatsu still gotta pay them bills, Kirie is a dumbass, Touta makes fun of everyone else behind their backs for being losers in the previous arc, and Kuroumaru continues to Kuroumaru. But more importantly hot drat, Mana coming back for a bit!

vvvv I was honestly half worried when I saw that that this was getting canceled early and it was an "And then they had rad adventures the end" page. But yeah, this being our main team with occasional guest members makes the most sense, considering the rest of UQ is older and this is still shounen after all. I'd love to see a bigger regular team though, and I'm sure Akamatsu could handle it well.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 24, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Based on the "pose as a team, because poo poo just got real" page, I guess this is going to be our main gang going forward.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Well, this was pretty much inevitable. Maya, Zazie, and Chachamaru were all more-or-less guaranteed to show up eventually. Still, I'm surprised they just tossed Maya in so casually like that.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is there something I'm forgetting about Maya that would let her live this long?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Is there something I'm forgetting about Maya that would let her live this long?

She is a half demon.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Is it a joke I'm not getting with everybody calling her Maya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kyte posted:

Is it a joke I'm not getting with everybody calling her Maya?

No, they just got the name wrong.

• Locked thread