Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Strange Aeon posted:

I found the first Karma Tornado volume at Half Price Books and thought it was great! So if the Ben Edlund stuff is even better, I can't wait to track it down.

The Ben Edlund Tick is wonderful. It's even better if you're familiar with some of the comics of the day, because there are some spot-on parodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

What are some good Batman stories that predominately feature Black Mask?

Not Batman per se, but he's the main villain for Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Not Batman per se, but he's the main villain for Ed Brubaker's Catwoman run.
That's probably about the best you're going to get.

There's a great Doug Moench/Kelley Jones 2-parter in Batman #518/519. Moench used him well prior in Batman #386/387 & #484/485.

Judd Winick's Under the Hood is probably one of the more notable stories, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2014

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I mostly read hellboy, atomic robo, and the walking dead, and old rear end conan stuff....

Awhile ago I read the joss whedon run on Astonishing x-men and really liked it. Are there any other really good reads in the realm of x-men? I haven't read any other issues of x-men whatsoever. Really liked the last two movies though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Begby posted:

I mostly read hellboy, atomic robo, and the walking dead, and old rear end conan stuff....

Awhile ago I read the joss whedon run on Astonishing x-men and really liked it. Are there any other really good reads in the realm of x-men? I haven't read any other issues of x-men whatsoever. Really liked the last two movies though.

Wolverine and the X-men and X-men Legacy. Uncanny X-force v.1 is also great. The current X-force is also really good. You might also like Madman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Begby posted:

Oh, absolutely. I got back into the X side of things after Astonishing myself, so hopefully we're kind of on the same page. Here are my favorites that I can think of right now:

Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender): Things start off really bad, and only get worse (for the characters, not the reader). Grab the omnibus that came out and dive on in.

Uncanny X-Men (Kieron Gillen): Kind of a spiritual sucessor to Whedon's run, but if you want more Scott and Co., this is a great run. It does tie into the AvX event, but you should be able to figure out what's going on. Gillen writes an incredible Mr. Sinister throughout.

X-Club: X-tinted super science done right. It's only a miniseries, but it's hilarious and badass at all times.

X-Men: S.W.O.R.D.: If you liked Brand from Astonishing, this is more of her ruling the school. I love love love this mini.

Wolverine and the X-Men, up until the circus stuff where I started tuning out: The first 20 or so are really drat good, with great art by Chris Bachalo and Nick Bradshaw.

X-Men: Supernovas (Mike Carey): Focuses on more supporting characters like Rogue, Cable, Mystique and Sabertooth, but it is really drat good. Bachalo does the art here, and it is beautiful.

and of course Grant Morrison's New X-Men, which is basically mandatory X-reading. It's fangoddamntastic, and Whedon's run is effectively a sequel to it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 9, 2014

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Have any of you read Saga?? Opinions?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think this thread should be titled "Just read Saga already."

Put it this way, I haven't cared about the well being of characters so much as I have in the last arc and there is almost no physical danger to them for most of that time. I take that as a sign that BKV made me deeply care about the characters as people.

Also, seeing the word "lying" brings up so many feelings.

And Staples manages to make some of the most beautiful (and disgusting!) art every month.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Begby posted:

Awhile ago I read the joss whedon run on Astonishing x-men and really liked it. Are there any other really good reads in the realm of x-men?

X-23 by Marjorie Liu, Astonishing X-Men by Warren Ellis.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Uthor posted:

I think this thread should be titled "Just read Saga already."

Put it this way, I haven't cared about the well being of characters so much as I have in the last arc and there is almost no physical danger to them for most of that time. I take that as a sign that BKV made me deeply care about the characters as people.

Also, seeing the word "lying" brings up so many feelings.

And Staples manages to make some of the most beautiful (and disgusting!) art every month.

Haha, alright then I'm sold. I was intrigued by the cover art and then read that its a space opera then got super interested.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

EAB posted:

Haha, alright then I'm sold. I was intrigued by the cover art and then read that its a space opera then got super interested.

The first four (:nws:) pages of the first issue shown here set the tone of the series perfectly. The first issue is a buck on comiXology if you need a preview.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=10802

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Begby posted:

The current Marvel now Magneto run is really badass.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Can you guys recommend me some Superman books?

So far I have:

-Red Son
-Man of Steel
-Secret Origin
-Birthright
-All-Star
-World's Finest (the 12 issue series)
-For the Man Who Has Everything
-Whatever Happened to...
-For All Seasons
-Kingdom Come
-Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
-Grounded (:barf:)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

redbackground posted:

Uncanny X-Force (Rick Remender): Things start off really bad, and only get worse (for the characters, not the reader). Grab the omnibus that came out and dive on in.

I just read this last month and holy poo poo, this is some of the best work I have ever read as far as standard cape books go. I'd put it in the same area as Hickman's FF

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

So far I have:

-Red Son
-Man of Steel
-Secret Origin
-Birthright
-All-Star
-Whatever Happened to...
-For All Seasons
-Kingdom Come

Paul Cornell's Black Ring run with Lex from a few years back was really solid. I kinda liked Greg Rucka's Nightwing & Flamebird run from prior to that, though technically neither of those are actually Superman stories... Well, Black Ring is by the end.

I've heard good things about the current Superman books by Pak, Johns and Soule.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Castor Poe posted:

So far I have:

-Red Son
-Man of Steel
-Secret Origin
-Birthright
-All-Star
-Whatever Happened to...
-For All Seasons
-Kingdom Come

Secret Identity. It's a story about a kid called Clark Kent who realises he has superpowers, like that comic book character everyone's always making jokes about.

It really doesn't get the exposure it deserves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know if it's collected in a trade, but I really liked the first arc of Superman in One Year Later. Oh yeah, It's A Bird is heart rending, it doesn't star Superman, but it's definitely about him. Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics for the New 52 is also great.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I don't like his work much at all, but I have to admit Mark Millar wrote some really great all-ages Superman stories in Superman Adventures, based on the Bruce Timm DCAU cartoon. They used to be collected in two undersized TPBs, but since Millar has burned all his bridges at DC, they are probably long out of print.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if it's collected in a trade, but I really liked the first arc of Superman in One Year Later. Oh yeah, It's A Bird is heart rending, it doesn't star Superman, but it's definitely about him. Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics for the New 52 is also great.

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Up-A...d+away+superman

Geoff Johns up to New Krypton is really good and his new run is also good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The current Greg Pak era of Action Comics and Batman/Superman is great. There's probably first collections of those out now.

e: There's Charles Soule's Superman/Wonder Woman too. It wouldn't be a bad idea to jump on that at the same time since it leads their Doomed crossover.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Here it is http://www.amazon.com/Superman-Up-A...d+away+superman

Geoff Johns up to New Krypton is really good and his new run is also good.

What I've read of Kurt Busiek's stint on Action which ran similtaneously with Johns Superman I was also pretty good.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Thanks guys, much appreciated. What's the general consensus on Emperor Joker, Loeb's Batman/Superman and Grant Morrison's JLA?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Castor Poe posted:

Grant Morrison's JLA?

Absolute must read.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Castor Poe posted:

Grant Morrison's JLA?
The hot best.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Castor Poe posted:

Emperor Joker

Probably the last good thing that Loeb wrote.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Castor Poe posted:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. What's the general consensus on Emperor Joker, Loeb's Batman/Superman and Grant Morrison's JLA?

For JLA try to track down Aztek, too. It'll make the ending make more sense.

Also make sure you get Earth 2. It was separate from the trades I had and it's one of my favorite storylines

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So I've been reading a lot of Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol, Animal Man, All-Star Superman), as well as Saga and Kill Six Billion Demons, and I'm really liking the weird bullshit that happens in those comics. Are there any other good surreal and bizarre comics like these?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

So I've been reading a lot of Grant Morrison (Doom Patrol, Animal Man, All-Star Superman), as well as Saga and Kill Six Billion Demons, and I'm really liking the weird bullshit that happens in those comics. Are there any other good surreal and bizarre comics like these?

If you want some weird meta comics I just read Satoshi Kun's Opus and it is very much that. A manga artist's characters come to life and try to stop him from killing them off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

Casanova, now available in nice hardcovers!

The first issue of Universe! popped up at Panel Syndicate for pay what you wish. It's a stand alone story and pretty dang good.

Maybe Manhattan Projects?

I'd highly recommend Hickman's Fantastic Four if you want something more superhero.

Morrison's Flex Mentallo is exactly what you'd expect from a Morrison book.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 11, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SunAndSpring posted:

Based on Kill Six Billion Demons and Saga I will say read Orc Stain and Prophet. Everybody read Orc Stain.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In addition to other people's recommendations, I'd add:

Alan Moore Swamp Thing
Alan Moore Miracle Man
Warren Ellis Planetary
Maaaaaybe Grant Morrison Batman RIP although this kind of requires understanding a lot of both Morrison and Batman context to enjoy it
Brian K Vaughn Private Eye (on Panel Syndicate, digital only)
David Hine Bulletproof Coffin
Jonathan Hickman East of West
Matt Kindt Mind MGMT
Grant Morrison Seaguy
Jeff Lemire Sweet Tooth
Neil Gaiman Sandman
Eric Stephenson Nowhere Men (hesitant to recommend because it's been on hiatus forever)
Ales Kot Zero
Alan Moore Top Ten
Alan Moore Supreme
Alan Moore Promethea
Alan Moore League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Fake edit: I regret writing this list with just the writers as if the artists aren't significant, but I'm lazy and just hammering this out in my iphone

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Am I crazy for thinking that All-Star Superman feels really spaced out?

Like compared to Long Halloween it feels like it's all over the place rather than happening in order.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a big sloppy mess that's barely held together by its premise.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

crondaily posted:

Like compared to Long Halloween it feels like it's all over the place rather than happening in order.

I think most of the issues tell complete stories that aren't always directly connected with the next, so it can be jarring if you are reading it in a trade. It's also one of the best Superman comics ever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I think most of the issues tell complete stories that aren't always directly connected with the next

It's written in a structure that resembles that of ancient myths, which works with the story that it's telling.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Grant Morrison Seaguy

Came here to post this. Seaguy is one of the most baffling comics I've ever read. (I've probably not read enough non-mainstream stuff.)

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Have you read The Invisibles?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

crondaily posted:

That really only seems like a problem if you insist on your stories being linear

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Opopanax posted:

That really only seems like a problem if you insist on your stories being linear

Except for the one time travel issue, it is linear...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I'm interested in reading about Galactus. What are the best written comics that feature him prominently? I haven't read any superhero stuff outside of some batman/superman.